• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Will Ash's Pikachu ever learn a new move?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twiggity Twang

Ruler of the Ice Boundary
Years
If it is Lightning Strike (Which I highly doubt, but do show mild support for), it will only be a last resort-type move. I personally think it is either Return or Hidden Power (While it is shown to be a physical attack that Pikachu is using, Regigigas' HP was just weird in the Anime, so you never know). These are the most likely, but it could be Wild Charge or Volt change, for all we know.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
Years
Pikachu's current moveset seems OK, but I dislike that due to having two Electric-type moves, it wastes a move slot.

-Anyway, Thunderbolt is nearly iconic with Pikachu, so that's pretty much guaranteed to stay.
-Volt Tackle is currently Pikachu's signature move, and said exclusivity of the move is apparently the main reason for the existence of Wild Bolt. So unless Volt Tackle becomes non-exclusive, that seems like it's staying as well. I'd hate for the new upcoming move to be Wild Bolt; it's terribly redundant for Pikachu's line and completely defeats the point of Volt Tackle's exclusivity.
-Iron Tail helps Pikachu trump Rock-type Pokemon, which Pikachu has difficulty battling with if they are part Ground-type as well. Plus, they spent quite a few episode focusing on Pikachu learning it and even bothered to enhance its animation in Best Wishes, so deleting it kind of detracts from the importance of those episodes. But it's a relatively new move and many Pokemon can learn it, so it has the chance of going.
-Quick Attack is learned by many Pokemon as well, but I feel that to this day it serves as a reminder of the episode Electric Shock Showdown, where Pikachu's speed was an integral part of Ash's tactics, to the point where Brock said something to the effect of "Lt. Surge evolved his Pikachu right when he got it, so it was unable to learn the speed attacks that it could only learn at the Pikachu stage". Since the episode tends to be a memorable one (as Ash's Pikachu trumped his evo) and is one of the main driving factors for the Team Rocket trio hounding Ash to this day, removing Quick Attack would be a very poor decision IMO.

So, I don't think Ash's Pikachu should learn a new move for a while, though Surf and Fly could be welcome changes for one-time-only events.
As for the rumored upcoming new move in Best Wishes that Pikachu will use, I'm liking the Lightning Strike theory, despite its exclusivity to Zekrom. Zekrom also has the signature move Cross Thunder at its disposal, and the anime has shared exclusive moves among Pokemon before as well (see Raticate learning [Hi] Jump Kick in Battle Aboard the St. Anne, a move previously exclusive to Hitmonlee). Ash and Pikachu can also devise improvised moves such as Thunder Armor again with little effect on Pikachu's "moveset", so there's always that option.

Last edited:

AshPikastar

It's Question Time!
Years
If it is Lightning Strike (Which I highly doubt, but do show mild support for), it will only be a last resort-type move. I personally think it is either Return or Hidden Power (While it is shown to be a physical attack that Pikachu is using, Regigigas' HP was just weird in the Anime, so you never know). These are the most likely, but it could be Wild Charge or Volt change, for all we know.

The move to me looks too powerful to be Hidden power or Return. I can actually seeing it be Volt Change since that'll make more sense then Return or Hidden power. Pikachu looked as if he was going to use Vol tackle when it was charging up then letting the attack out in the air. The attack looked like electricity to me not Hidden power. Last time I checked in DP; Hidden power looked different then that but then again, so did Iron tail since they have new animation for Pokemon. Wild Charge might be the attack as well but it would be interesting if Pikachu new Lightning Strike though. He'll most likely learn it at the end of the series hopefully.

Years
I highly doubt whether that move could be Wild Charge. Reasons? If that move is Wild Charge, it makes most sense for it to replace Volt Tackle. And why would the writers want to replace a move with another one which is less powerful than the previous move?

Years
  • Seen Sep 29, 2011
I already stated this on the Team Rocket/Plasma special thread but since this is the actual thread for Pikachu's new move I'll show it here as well.

The new move Pikachu learns in this special is "Electra Ball." As for the sparkling effect when Pikachu is running towards the fight, it COULD be a return of the whole "swallow/absorb a move and gain more power" (ie Grotle and Energy Ball) thing or it is part of the animation of Electra Ball, or something else entirely. Either way, Pikachu DOES learn Electra Ball.
pokemonfan2.jpg

Kenshin5

Wanderer
Years
Sweet first one to predix Electra Ball! Glad Pikachu is learning something new after all that time with the same moveset.

Years
  • Seen Sep 29, 2011
Sweet first one to predix Electra Ball! Glad Pikachu is learning something new after all that time with the same moveset.

And it is entirely possible that this will only be an addition, and none of the other 4 moves will be replaced. The japanese anime already broke the whole 4 rule thing with Cilian and Dwebble thing (Dwebble uses 5 moves in it's first episode). Otherwise I can't really see which move they would replace...

AshPikastar

It's Question Time!
Years
Oh nice; so Pikachu's new move is Electra Ball. I don't think they are going to replace any of Pikachu's moves. He has some good move sets although Quick attack is a bit old but Ash seems to put it in good use. I can't wait to actually see this new move in action although we saw a small preview of it.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen yesterday
I don't know...I actually hope it doesn't. I like its' current set of moves. I mean, Thunderbolt will never go. Quick Attack makes sense - priority is always good, even Sceptile has it. Volt Tackle is his signature move, and you just know he'd only ever forget Iron Tail if they wanted Ash to lose to a rock-type trainer...so I don't want to see it happening.

However, no doubt it will. Am I right in thinking he didn't gain any new moves in Johto, as well as Sinnoh? This would mean he'll get one in Gen V.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
Years
Oh, boo...the new move is Electro Ball? And the anime incarnation looks so similar to Energy Ball and Zap Cannon? :disappoin Why couldn't it be Lightning Strike for an awesome twist? And why is the power of a "thrown" electrical ball dependent on the Speed stats of the user and the target? IMO, such a mechanic would be more fitting for a physical move like Volt Tackle.

Having Electro Ball replace Volt Tackle would be a poor decision, as its only benefits are no HP loss and the potential extra 30-points in base power if the opponent is really slow.

Thunderbolt is nearly iconic with Pikachu, commonly being used to foil Team Rocket or attack any threatening Pokemon. Though Electro Ball has a potential 55-point gain when comparing to Thunderbolt's power, I don't think a replacement is justified.

Deleting Quick Attack or Iron Tail is an even worse decision. Why the heck would you need three different Electric-type moves? That nearly sets the user up for failure if the opponent sends out a Ground-type Pokemon. You can't always aim for the horn, Ash!

I'm hoping this Electro Ball deal is a one-time event, as Ash's Pikachu's moveset is fine as is, and I don't see any moves other than Grass Knot, Surf,or Fly that would be viable for inclusion.

Years
  • Seen Dec 31, 2012
I actually think Electro Ball will replace Thunderbolt. As signatory as Thunderbolt is, Electro Ball is equally long range, and to have three electric attacks out of four/five (two of them Special, no less)...that's the complete opposite of the meta-game they're pushing this generation.

Plus, if they play it against the speed cap, it might make for more interesting battles.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen yesterday
Yeah, but Pikachu wouldn't have lasted five minutes against Latios if he'd been using Electro Ball...I'm hoping it's either a one-off, or he's going to use five moves (I watched the battle where Krabby evolved and took on a trainer by himself, and he uses at least 6 moves :D )

Years
  • Seen Dec 31, 2012
Yes he would have. Anime=/=games, 'member? They would have scrapped any hindrance to still make the battle go as it did. *DEM*

Years
  • Seen Mar 5, 2011
I think pikachu wont learn new moves, if it does, it might replace quick attack, also pikachu did know agility

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years
I think pikachu wont learn new moves, if it does, it might replace quick attack, also pikachu did know agility

Um, yes he will, it's all ready shown he learns Electra Ball.

Pikachu's known quite a few moves,

Thundershock
Thunderbolt
Agility
Leer
Quick Attack
Double Edge
Thunder
Tackle
Iron tail
Volt Tackle.

And since then he's only kept 4 of those moves.

I think it's about time Chu' learned a new move, he hasn't since May's Eggcellent adventure ~

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 13, 2016
Wow, out of everything Pikachu could have learned, the gave it Electra Ball? Wow, now I know anime =/= games, but still - It's not a very powerful move. Plus in the games it only learns it at lv18 - that really shows how powerful pikachu can be.

But the move pikachu used in the preview looks way different to that picture, thats like a big ball - and in the preview Pikachu is like, covered up in a light, and rushes at the foe. Two moves anyone? Although I could see it as the light building up into a ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back