• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Dystopian Pokemon Transformation RP

Arylett Charnoa

No one in particular.
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 5, 2023

I am looking for a place to host a roleplay that I've been wanting to revive for a while. I remember the RP community here being particularly notable, so I decided to return to see if people would be interested in my idea:

The basic premise is that there is a region in which Pokemon and Pokemon training are illegal due to a religion that rules the entire thing. Pokemon are considered unholy beasts and have basically been eradicated from the entire region. ...As far as the public knows, anyway.

For you see, anyone who breaks one of the sacred laws of the regions is punished in a special way. They are transformed into a Pokemon slave who works underground, unbeknownst to the public. This is the backbone of the region and what keeps it running.

Our group will be escaping from this facility, with the goals of transforming back into their human selves and taking down this corrupt system.

Some things to note:

- You are only allowed to play as a human transformed into a Pokemon. You can be any Pokemon, any stage, that isn't a Legendary.

- True wild Pokemon don't exist. Any Pokemon outside of the facilities are either former humans who escaped or their descendants.

- This region is sealed off from all other regions. So nobody from another region can enter unless they have special permission.

Please tell me if you're interested, as I will not create the roleplay unless I deem there to be sufficient interest. Questions are also welcome. I have a fair amount of lore information all prepared.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
Sounds interesting, but there are a lot of question marks here.

Are there wild pokémon in the rest of the world? Since pokémon training is specifically prohibited in our region.

How do they transform humans into pokémon? Is this secret for now and part of the plot? I'd like for you to have figured it out at least, even if you don't tell the players c:

How did the religious leaders come into power, how come they control the region so harshly?

What makes a couple of slaves think they can have a chance to take down a nation?

metroid711

Thumbs up~
Years
It is an interesting scenario that could go off in several directions should the plot take us that way.

Don't really have any questions aside from where the legendaries would have gone during this eradication. but id assume that would be plot stuff so its not really a problem

Last edited:

Afterglow Ampharos

Ampharos are the ultimate kid's bed. They have a b
Years
Oh, that's a much more interesting reason to be a human-turned-pokemon. I like this.

What kind of sacred laws does the region have? You know, so I can start pondering backstory for such a player character. Namely, what their crime was, and therefore what their lifestyle was.

I'm glad you included "or their descendants" in the OP, that makes a lot of sense and not everyone would think to include it. There could be a lot of generations that that just happens, you're born of Pokemon so you never were human yourself, but at the same time you're not exactly a natural wild Pokemon...

HyperMorian

Busy with University.
Years
It's been a while to see a RP with a darker premise, despite most RPs abound right now are rated as M anyway.

Though yes, I do have two questions in mind:
1. Do they who previously turned into Pokémon, now reverted into their human form retain their abilities or do they lose them forever? This include the ability to understand their speech, using superpower, or any other possible quirk worth mentioning.

2. In conjunction, is it also possible to restore former humans back?

I've always liked anything with an actual direction, but not limited to sandboxes too. Overall, your idea has gotten my support. Since you're saying that you will not create the RP unless it gets sufficient interest, I think I'll have to say that you'll make it happen. Do I sound like I'm forcing somebody though? Oh well, I'll be looking forward for this.

Arylett Charnoa

No one in particular.
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 5, 2023
Sounds interesting, but there are a lot of question marks here.

Are there wild pok?mon in the rest of the world? Since pok?mon training is specifically prohibited in our region.

How do they transform humans into pok?mon? Is this secret for now and part of the plot? I'd like for you to have figured it out at least, even if you don't tell the players c:

How did the religious leaders come into power, how come they control the region so harshly?

What makes a couple of slaves think they can have a chance to take down a nation?

1. Yes, the rest of the world does have Pokemon. But this will not really be relevant in the RP. Unless something happens later on to change that.

2. They use an ancient machine to transform people into Pokemon. Can't really say anymore than that.

3. How the religion got control of the region? That is something that the players won't be finding out until later. Spoilers.

4. Why not? It's either that or live a terrible life. They can join up with other resistance groups around the region, who live in the fringes and barely avoid detection. So it won't just be them trying to go against the region.

It is an interesting scenario that could go off in several directions should the plot take us that way.

Don't really have any questions aside from where the legendaries would have gone during this eradication. but id assume that would be plot stuff so its not really a problem
Legendary Pokemon just left the region after seeing what humans did to it. I don't really want to involve them in the plot as I feel they are an overdone trope in Pokemon.

Oh, that's a much more interesting reason to be a human-turned-pokemon. I like this.

What kind of sacred laws does the region have? You know, so I can start pondering backstory for such a player character. Namely, what their crime was, and therefore what their lifestyle was.

I'm glad you included "or their descendants" in the OP, that makes a lot of sense and not everyone would think to include it. There could be a lot of generations that that just happens, you're born of Pokemon so you never were human yourself, but at the same time you're not exactly a natural wild Pokemon...
There are four of them. They will be listed in the first post as well, but I suppose I can list them here:

• The First Law - "Man and Pokemon are to be separate. True Beasts [the Hylic] are not to be tamed, but instead subjugated, so that the True People can ascend into The Elect."

The absolutely most important law. Do not interact with Pokemon in any way. Don't touch one, don't look at one, nothing. And especially, do not train them at any costs.

• The Second Law - "It is every Sanctic?s responsibility to follow the will of Norea. Do not shirk that responsibility or follow false Gods."

Stay away from heretics, from any upstarts who try to defy the will of Sanctic. And especially. don't rebel yourself or join any of those pesky resistance groups.

• The Third Law - "Conflict is the will of a fearful, tainted soul. Those who are corrupted by it are True Beasts [Hylics]."

Don't cause death, violence, or destruction.

• The Fourth Law - "The people of Sanctic are a spiritual collective, consciousnesses and hearts bound for all of eternity. Those who attempt to sever the bond surrender harmony to the chaos of the Hylic."

Everyone's got to wear an emblem on their clothes. Absolutely do not tear it off more than three times. You've heard the reason they're so strict about this one is because they're using that symbol to keep track of people at all times.

It's been a while to see a RP with a darker premise, despite most RPs abound right now are rated as M anyway.

Though yes, I do have two questions in mind:
1. Do they who previously turned into Pok?mon, now reverted into their human form retain their abilities or do they lose them forever? This include the ability to understand their speech, using superpower, or any other possible quirk worth mentioning.

2. In conjunction, is it also possible to restore former humans back?

I've always liked anything with an actual direction, but not limited to sandboxes too. Overall, your idea has gotten my support. Since you're saying that you will not create the RP unless it gets sufficient interest, I think I'll have to say that you'll make it happen. Do I sound like I'm forcing somebody though? Oh well, I'll be looking forward for this.
1. They do not retain any abilities they had as a Pokemon. However, I will note that people in this region do have the ability to use TM discs by inserting them into machines, to make up for the lack of Pokemon on the surface. So they still have access to special powers as long as they have their machine.

2. We'll have to find that out in the roleplay, won't we?

It would appear that there is indeed sufficient interest. I am still ironing out my own character form/the lore information, so if anyone else still has interest, they can feel free to express it whilst I get all of this sorted out. As I'm also contemplating between here and another forum.

Last edited:

Afterglow Ampharos

Ampharos are the ultimate kid's bed. They have a b
Years
--The Four Commandments--

Oh good, that gives a lot of room for possible backstory reasons. I mean, even the first rule could have happened in so many ways!

So we get to pick our Pokemon yeah? But in-universe, how is it determined what Pokemon a person turns into, is that up to the person operating the ancient machine? If you can't answer this for plot reasons that's fine.

I'm assuming/hoping there will be no limits on age in our player characters? People from all walks of life getting turned into Pokemon that is.

How are you planning to handle combat?

Last edited:

Arylett Charnoa

No one in particular.
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 5, 2023
Oh good, that gives a lot of room for possible backstory reasons. I mean, even the first rule could have happened in so many ways!

So we get to pick our Pokemon yeah? But in-universe, how is it determined what Pokemon a person turns into, is that up to the person operating the ancient machine? If you can't answer this for plot reasons that's fine.

I'm assuming/hoping there will be no limits on age in our player characters? People from all walks of life getting turned into Pokemon that is.

How are you planning to handle combat?
Yeah, that was the idea when I thought of the laws. I wanted to make sure they were a vague enough framework that one could have many possibilities.

1. Yes, you get to pick your Pokemon. As for how it's determined in-universe, it isn't really something I consider a super relevant detail to the plot. It's just determined by what your character's type affinity was as a human, and what fits their personality the most.

2. Minimum age limit is 17. This is when they consider someone to have become an adult. Before that, if you break the rules, they won't punish you harshly, as you're just a child that doesn't know any better. However, they will react more harshly if your character broke the rules continuously in their youth, and then broke them again as an adult, putting them in worse conditions than the others.

3. I don't know really know exactly how the typical RP goes on here, but I tend to be very loose and casual, and I don't like to control too much as the DM. So I don't really want to make an elaborate setup for combat. People just fight each other like they would normally post, and determine the results amongst themselves. That includes any fights with me, the DM.

JukeboxTheGhoul

Rocking Round the Clock
Years
2. Minimum age limit is 17. This is when they consider someone to have become an adult. Before that, if you break the rules, they won't punish you harshly, as you're just a child that doesn't know any better. However, they will react more harshly if your character broke the rules continuously in their youth, and then broke them again as an adult, putting them in worse conditions than the others.
- True wild Pokemon don't exist. Any Pokemon outside of the facilities are either former humans who escaped or their descendants.
These two conflict, there could be ones younger than 17 because they're descendants. Coulda been raised to fight the power and return to humanity. Doing it in the name of their parents would be a nice character motive.

Arylett Charnoa

No one in particular.
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 5, 2023
These two conflict, there could be ones younger than 17 because they're descendants. Coulda been raised to fight the power and return to humanity. Doing it in the name of their parents would be a nice character motive.
What I was saying is that those who break the laws before the age of 17 will not be punished in the same way. You can only play as someone who has broken the laws. A descendant doesn't count as they were already born as a Pokemon and did not technically break the laws.

I don't really want anyone to play as a descendant though because I feel it dilutes one of the purposes of the roleplay - which is to have your character's reaction to the transformation and the loss of their humanity.

In any case, I've finally started it. Here's Sanctic's OOC. Any further discussions or questions about the RP should be had in that thread.

Years
I'm interested in this. I'm guessing the nation itself is modern, in terms of technology and government structure? Or at least, the same level of technology portrayed in the games. And the nation is a theocracy, ruled by the religious faction, but day to day life is similar to ours, yes?

Arylett Charnoa

No one in particular.
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 5, 2023
I'm interested in this. I'm guessing the nation itself is modern, in terms of technology and government structure? Or at least, the same level of technology portrayed in the games. And the nation is a theocracy, ruled by the religious faction, but day to day life is similar to ours, yes?
You're exactly right on that, yes. It's basically to the level of Pokemon games, for the most part. A sort of modern day, semi-futuristic setting.

Just a reminder though, the OOC thread has been made. So if you have any further questions, go there.

Back