• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Nicknamed Pokemon

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 14, 2021
I nickname them occasionally, provided if I know a nice name for it, but most of the times, its me being random.

I don't mind nicknames from the other party, provided if its nice/has a meaning behind it.

Years
  • Seen Mar 27, 2013
I prefer to let my trader nickname their Pokemon. I'd rather read out their nicknames as it shows respect for the person and it shows they loved their Pokemon to the end.

Magykx

It's too cold for you here.
Years
I never name my Pokemon. When I receive one with a nickname, I normally just change it unless it's Japanese, then I just leave it because it looks cool. Haha

tabor62

[b][color=#CADB5A]W[/color][color=#C8DA4F]h[/color
Years
I don't nickname my own Pokemon because I am very uncreative. I don't mind receiving nicknames as long as they aren't offensive or vulgar.

I never name my Pokemon. When I receive one with a nickname, I normally just change it unless it's Japanese, then I just leave it because it looks cool. Haha

What do you mean you change it? You have to cheat/hack to change nicknames from other people 0.o

Rayziken 2

Beginning ROM Hacker
Years
  • Seen Sep 9, 2016
What do you mean you change it? You have to cheat/hack to change nicknames from other people 0.o
Maybe the Pokémon he gets are Basic so they can have their nickname changed when they evolve. Then again, I'm not sure if you can still do that. XD

tabor62

[b][color=#CADB5A]W[/color][color=#C8DA4F]h[/color
Years
Maybe the Pokémon he gets are Basic so they can have their nickname changed when they evolve. Then again, I'm not sure if you can still do that. XD

Pokemon's names only change if they are evolved under 3 different conditions. That would be:
1. Pokemon with capitalized names from previous generations
2. Pokemon with a foreign name
3. hacked Pokemon with a hacked nickname that didn't set off the nickname flag.

If the Pokemon has a legit nickname, it will not change when it is evolved; and chances are; if it's name changes and it isn't a foreign one, it is hacked. Also, there are no Pokemon games in which the nickname changes if it evolves if I recall correctly.

TrainerTori

Growlithe Fan
Years
I dont really mind nicnamed pokemon :)
I generally trade lvl 1 for lvl 1, so if I dont like the nicname, I just breed myself a new one and trade the original back out.

I did, however, recently trade my personal munchlax, Tubbington, *face>palm* didn't mean to do that.

Musica

PPPPPDPPPPP
Years
I like nicknaming the Pokemons I use. If I set them up for trading, I leave them with their original names, except the freebies I give from time to time.

Kitori

[FONT=impact][COLOR=#000000][I][b] V A L K Y R I E
Years
I'm really picky about my nicknames... but I usually only trade for breeders anyway. If I were trading for a pokemon I wanted to use competitively or in my game I would request a nickname that I liked.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
I like nicknamed Pokemon as long as the nicknames are good or clever, or I personally nicknamed them. It gives them so much more personality and makes the game that more fun to me.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
I don't mind when other people nickname Pokemon, but I don't generally. What does bother me is when people nn legendary Pokemon. I mean, they already have a name! It's not like other Pokemon where there are supposed to be tons of them, and that's their species. Legendary Pokemon are legendary, they are named as individuals. Theoretically, in the continuity of the series, there is only supposed to be one of that Pokemon in existence. That's just my take on it though.

Years
I nickname all my pokemon- I try to be clever with the nicknames of pokemon I intend to use in the game, I try a little less hard to be clever with the nicknames of pokemon who will sit in the box, though I do still try. I nickname pokemon who I will breed for an ability after that ability, and I name pokemon I'm going to breed for a nature after said nature. If I get a traded pokemon and I actually care about its nickname or lack thereof, I'd indicate as such before hand, but unless I was trading for a breeder ditto, I just don't see myself actually caring.

Miau

If I fits...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 31, 2022
I never traded away nicknamed Pokemon, because I only give nicknames to Pokemon in my main team and HM slaves and my false swipers and the ones I breed; basically, any Pokemon that I use in one way or another. And I actually like getting nicknamed Pokemon, as long as it's not an offensive name. Also, when I get a Japanese or Korean Pokemon, I check online if it has its species name or a nickname. I actually have a Korean (I think...) Samurott, and it seems to have a nickname and I'm really, really curious what it means. I just hope it's nothing related to butts or anything like that Magnemite I got a while ago.

Years
I've taken to giving my Pokemon nicknames lately, though I didn't always. Makes me feel closer to them. To the collection of pixels in the animated monsters on my DS screen...I may need to get out more :laugh: My current team's nicknames (the ones in my sig) are:

Quorra the Blaziken, named after the character from Tron: Legacy.
Mistral the Jolteon, named after the .Hack character.
Rumor the Froslass, named after a character from a .Hack novel.
Nausicaa the Milotic, named after the Studio Ghibli character.
Elnara the Sawsbuck, slightly inspired by Inara the Firefly character.
Tiamat the Hydreigon, named after the multi-headed dragon god in DnD.

As for other peoples nicknames? I like them. It shows a little of who the previous owner was, even if it's something rude or in a language I don't understand.

Years
I'm probably just gonna breed it myself so I don't really care. I don't trade for Legendaries since I don't actually use them in battles. Though If I actually wanted it (Like Entei, Mew, Mewtwo or Lugia) because I like them, I guess I wouldn't mind.
As for mine, I don't nickname them at all. I prefer them having their actual name.

Years
  • Seen Sep 12, 2016
Only some of my Pokemon gets nicknamed,
These are some of those Pokemon that gets named: Roserade, Roserade and Roserade.
Rosaura, Rosie and Rosetta respectively, so unoriginal isn't it? :P

Last edited:
Back