• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Sky Battles

SmashBrony

Epic Adventurer
Years
I feel that ALL Flying-types & Levitators will be able to particate in Sky Battles,
No matter how silly it may look.

@ hiff8:
OH!!!
I actually forgot all about Rayquaza...
If I had remembered, I would have said that Gyarados would fly in the same way as Rayquaza...
(there's a reason why xxkaylabby keeps calling me "silly"...)

EDITED IN:
I would like to know how people "know" that not all Flying-types will make it into
Sky Battles... did I somehow miss something?

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
I feel that ALL Flying-types & Levitators will be able to particate in Sky Battles,
No matter how silly it may look.

@ hiff8:
OH!!!
I actually forgot all about Rayquaza...
If I had remembered, I would have said that Gyarados would fly in the same way as Rayquaza...
(there's a reason why xxkaylabby keeps calling me "silly"...)

EDITED IN:
I would like to know how people "know" that not all Flying-types will make it into
Sky Battles... did I somehow miss something?

During the E3 reveal, Gamefreak members said "Some Flying and Levitating Pokemon will be able to participate". It has yet to appear officially with the word "Some", but when it was introduced they dropped the bomb on us saying that there's the possibility that not all of them can, but those were the only two criteria for participation.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Aug 12, 2023
I honestly don't see what's so exciting about sky battles, or maybe I'm just missing something. To me, all it seems like is just another trainer battle but with restrictions and background change. Is there any special reward out of it?

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
I honestly don't see what's so exciting about sky battles, or maybe I'm just missing something. To me, all it seems like is just another trainer battle but with restrictions and background change. Is there any special reward out of it?

I think you get more money out of it than normal, but other than that, like every battle before it its just a battle. No special prizes are earned.

xseed

Reality? Or a dream?
Years
I am so and so with sky battle. nothing intereesting but its a nice little feature. (wish their was underwater and underground battles) (well dive covers the underwater battles lmao)

Miau

If I fits...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 31, 2022
Well, if they said that some Flying-types and Pokemon with Levitate will be able to participate, how about some Pokemon that don't fit any of those categories? The only one that comes to mind right now is Golurk; he's neither a Flying-type, nor has Levitate, but he can learn Fly. Actually, many Ghost-types seem to be floating in the air, while not being Flying-types nor having Levitate, like Cofagrigus, Chandelure, Honedge and Froslass. I know, I know, they said that those two were the only criteria for participation, but there's no harm in a little wishful thinking until we finally get the games, right?

That being said, I'm actually looking forward to Sky Battles, why not? Even without any kind of special reward, a new type of battle, with its own set of rules, is always welcome. What I'm hoping is that apart from the limitations on which Pokemon can be used, we'd be getting an entirely new mechanic to go with Sky Battles, like some sort of outside effect, something related to wind, maybe?

Mithel_Celestia

Alluring Illusion
Years
Sky battles are taken to latitude that simple "floating" pokemon cannot keep up. Thinking real-world physically, Pokemon like Metagross and Magnezone, though can easily fly and show it through magnet rise, are still limited to near ground flight and might not manage an air to air sky combat. Think of it like normal ground based rockets. Although similar to AA Missles, ground rockets won't have enough energy to propel themselves high enough or fast enough to catch up. Same goes for non-flying/levitating floating pokemon, who might need more effort to compete.

Years
I'm hoping they keep it to strictly Flying types & levitating Ghosts and whatnot. Something like Golurk just hanging out would look wierd, haha. As long as the battle animations look pretty, I'll give it a shot.

Here's to hoping we could have underwater battles like this next. :D That would be so cool.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jan 5, 2018
Why not underground battle with only Rock, Ground and Steel and most pokemons that can learn Dig ?

Miau

If I fits...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 31, 2022
Actually, Golurk flying is quite a sight, if we go by anime logic, hehe.
Juanita_Golurk_White_Fly.png

So he'd probably be alright high up in the sky. And yeah, now that Celestia mentioned it, my idea of having Pokemon that can merely float above ground partipate in a Sky Battle is kind of exaggerated sadly.

As for underwater battles, that would be so cool, the scenery would be amazing, I'd love something like that. But there is one problem: we can already battle underwater, while diving, and we can also battle while surfing. And using any Pokemon, not just those who can swim, so how will they make it happen?

BraveNewWorld

The Breaker
Years
I'm hoping they keep it to strictly Flying types & levitating Ghosts and whatnot. Something like Golurk just hanging out would look wierd, haha. As long as the battle animations look pretty, I'll give it a shot.

Here's to hoping we could have underwater battles like this next. :D That would be so cool.

Like Pokemon: Spell of the Unknown?

That would be pretty cool.

Years
So what's different for the sky battle from regular ones besides Pokemon being restricted? (well, that's obvious)

Maybe I'm missing something but I haven't kept up with the sky battle thing.

Boilurn

Scald Pokémon
Years
Well, if they said that some Flying-types and Pokemon with Levitate will be able to participate, how about some Pokemon that don't fit any of those categories? The only one that comes to mind right now is Golurk; he's neither a Flying-type, nor has Levitate, but he can learn Fly. Actually, many Ghost-types seem to be floating in the air, while not being Flying-types nor having Levitate, like Cofagrigus, Chandelure, Honedge and Froslass.

I agree. I think Pokemon than learn "Fly" should have permission to enter a sky battle. Speaking of these types of battles, I wonder if the next Flying-type Gym (If there is one) would be based on a Sky Battle. That would be an unforgettable moment for all players.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I could see flying-type moves gaining some sort of a power-up in sky battles. Kind of like how fire and water moves get their power increased out in the sun and rain, respectively. d:

Why not underground battle with only Rock, Ground and Steel and most pokemons that can learn Dig ?

That wouldn't make too much sense, because how are you going to be able to know what your Pokémon are doing when they're underground? Plus, they probably wouldn't be able to hear your commands at all. Sky battles work because you could see your Pokémon's movements when you look up into the sky, but that isn't the case for underground battles.

Last edited:

Shrew

is a Shrew
Years

Sinnoh was well-known for its underground. I could easily imagine a new region also being known for their underground, and having these type of battles.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Well, yesterday they released info from a magazine with an interview in it and it said Sky Battles are limited ONLY to Flying Type Pokemon and Pokemon with the ability Levitate. There are restrictions on moves that can be used in the Sky Battles.

I assume Ground moves are not viable in it because of obvious reasons....I can see Rock Type moves being ineligible as well.

I wonder if they still plan to disable Sky Battles for some Pokemon that don't really make sense like Mantine, Gyarados, Mantyke, Doduo, Dodrio, Tynamo's line, Gligar, and some bugs?

I wonder what other attacks will be not allowed in the battle.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
Most physical-based attacks would be banned from sky battles, I'm guessing, such as Earthquake, Waterfall, Dig, Avalanche, and maybe Rock Slide. d: They may also restrict a few of the special ones, but Earth Power and Gravity are the only ones that I'm able to think of right now. Gravity would ruin the purpose of sky battles, because it'd force all Pokémon to be on the land.

Last edited:

Shrew

is a Shrew
Years
Most physical-based attacks would be banned from sky battles, I'm guessing, such as Earthquake, Waterfall, Dig, Avalanche, and maybe Rock Slide. d: They may also restrict a few of the special ones, but Earth Power and Gravity are the only ones that I'm able to think of right now. Gravity would ruin the purpose of sky battles, because it'd force all Pokémon to be on the land.
I wouldn't say most physical attacks, considering things like Peck, Wing Attack, Sky Attack, Brave Bird, Aerial Ace, and so forth are physical. Similar to how we have a contact/no-contact and sound categories for moves, what if there was an "Requires Environment?" category for moves... things like Dig, Dive, Earthquake, Rock Slide, Fly, Nature Power, and so forth. In sky battles, any move which requires an environment that makes no sense would be banned.

Also: Landorus (Ground/Flying) can learn Smack Down... food for thought.

Shiarra

Ghost Of The Forest
Years
I like the sound of this mechanic, it also makes me think of something funny, what is they made as a downloadable giveaway a pikachu that floats in the air cause of balloons tied to it's back.

Back