• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Survey: Did you create your account for ROM Hacking?

barofan

Heterosexual Hipster
Years
  • Seen Aug 23, 2013
This is indeed a nooby question, and I may be blocked or what not for it, but I came here for Rom Hacking, and for participation particularly. Therefore, I would like to know where I can get involved with the process, somebody please redirect a lost soul.

Shiny Quagsire

I'm Still Alive, Elsewhere
Years
Warning: Wall of text containing a bunch of personal stuff about my experiences and stuff. :P

I joined in 2008 to do ROM Hacking, although I joined RHO (formerly PHO at the time) first. I remember one of my first posts was asking if it was possible to have pokemon follow you, lol. Now we know that it's near impossible, and not very easy at all.

I first started doing basic hacking, adding grass, lv 100 pokemon, dumb stuff. Then I saw ShinyGold and Jupiter and I wanted to make something completely new, and awesome. It never happened. I tried mapping, failed miserably. Then I did some scripting, and it seemed to be something that I could do. So I began doing scripting, getting better over time. I actually ended getting so good at scripting that I made a tutorial, and eventually discovered Hackmew's knowledge. At Hackmew's knowledge, I began to learn ASM. I started with Hackmew's basic ASM, and then went on to modify it, tweak it, and eventually make my own ASM, starting with pseudo ASM, which ended up working, into some more different ASM. I read as much as I could from Hackmew's ASM, but it wasn't enough. I wanted more. So I went to JPAN's ASM tutorial document, and read that. It gave me a deep understanding of the GBA hardware and how the entire game was linked together. I went on to make a season's hack, my first ever ROM modification. It changed the palettes depending on the time of year. After that, I made it modify the tileset data, so that ponds would freeze over.

From there, I started to play with the idea of being able to make custom GUI's and new screens. I began to search up the GBA's hardware specs, and I found GBATek to be a wonderful resource. What to do with it though, was a mystery. Then I found thethethethe's GBA ASM tutorial, which covered basic GBA homebrew concepts written in ASM. Using his tutorial, I managed to make a sign GUI, which I sadly never released and was lost. After that, I made some small tweaking hacks, specifically for JPAN's berry engine for Fire Red. After weeks of tweaking and writing ASM, I managed to get a working-ish system, complete with what is now my Berry Bag Hack. Unfortunately, that was lost too, along with the berry bag hack. The bag hack had to be redone unfortunately.

At the peak of my hacking career, I tried Linux. I ended up loving Linux so much that I abandoned Windows, and ROM Hacking along with it. Wine existed, and was at version 1.2 at the time, but it sucked too badly to do any real hacking, so I quit for the time being. I also got addicted to Minecraft during beta 1.2_02, and as most Minecrafters do, installed some mods. Now with my switch to Linux, I switched to programming Java instead of C#. And since mods are written in Java, you know what I probably did: I started making mods. I made a mod for apples falling out of trees, different saplings for different trees, wolf collar colors, and my best mod, the Mining Drill block. Ironically, all my mods ended up going into Minecraft, except the Mining Drill block. After getting stressed out by Minecraft modding due to having to update constantly and all the annoying people whining for me to update, I quit modding, and went to Bukkit development. I updated some plugins, and made a few myself, and I enjoyed it. Less stress, more fun. However, people eventually wanted updates, and I didn't feel like doing them. However, I still contribute to the Bukkit github, and I am eagerly awaiting for it to be pulled.

Then I started to lurk. I checked the forums, and I occasionally posted. Then the lurking grew to activity, and when I got an e-mail from LaZ saying that RHO was up, I couldn't resist. I rejoined the scene. I spent my first few months starting to regain my ASM knowledge, looking at old code. Then I began my super secret project, and I also began to play with GUI's again. This time though, more advanced:
main_zps54613995.png

That's 100% written in ASM (converted from C code), on a standalone ROM. While I got it to insert into Fire Red, I got stuck on a problem that kinda put the idea on hold for now. But, during my searching, I got the idea to ask Mastermind_X how he did his Ruins of Alph routine. He basically told me it was written in C, and he decided to allow me to release the source temporarily until he cleans his code and releases it himself. However, the code didn't help much, as his memory of how he did it has failed to remember. So, I moved onto other hacks, and practiced my mapping skills (which are much better now). I began work on an abandoned project of mine, SEA, a cross-platform script editor written in Java. It is currently a WIP and semi-stable, semi-unstable. After doing some work, I decided to scour for something to do. After much thought, I managed to stumble upon a crystal remake that was made during my absence, which boasted a custom intro, and lost of custom ASM love in it. It was, unfortunately, fake. However, this did give me the inspiration to do the undone: To make a custom intro. After some small research, I've actually managed to get the game to execute my custom code between the copyright and the titlescreen, and I will soon release my intro hack in an advanced tutorial explaining how to make a custom intro. For those who are curious:
Pokemon-FireRed_zpsd0b67378.png

So my journey here has been a long one, and it was ultimately the reason I created my account here. I can honestly say that my stay here has been a wonderful one, and the administration, no matter how strict they are, are freaking awesome, and I thank them for spending their time to moderate here. :)

Years
NOPE! Wow, I'm probably the first who didn't join PC just because of ROM hacking hahaha. (Didn't bother checking the previous pages; was too lazy hehe~) xD I joined purely because I Love Pokemon, and also to find people who share the same love of Pokemon with me. <3

You're not alone, I didn't join for hacks either.

I have no interest in hacks at all, I mainly joined to chat with members.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 10, 2024
I was directed here from RHDN.net because of my work on Ultra Violet Version... so yea I came her to learn more about romhacking... ;)

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
Maybe... or maybe I just wanted to join some Pokemon forum where I could talk with other Pokemon fans and practice my English skills.
But the first push could pretty much be DJG's Reign of Legends =)

Years
Hacking was absolutely the main reason why I first signed up here the first time, and again on my current account. I had lots of ambition and ideas, but had no clue how to implement any of it into a game. I'd say that my enthusiasm for hacking went quickly out the window after running into problem after problem, but at least I can credit it for getting me to join PC in the first place!

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 21, 2013
i joined here because i was interested in pokemon.
and umm... sorry for my bad english.

i was interested i pokemon that's all.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Dec 14, 2020
Hey! I also made ​​an account because I want the Rom hacking, and come'm ReoNeky Site Whack a Hack!

Pokedude3012

Slayer of Milotics
Years
I joined just for ROM hacking. And now I'm going to spend my entire life on here; it's unstoppable. But for now, I'm OK with that. Give it a month, and I'll probably be hating it. It's how I am, I don't like it, but it's how I am.

Warning: Wall of text containing a bunch of personal stuff about my experiences and stuff. :P

I joined in 2008 to do ROM Hacking, although I joined RHO (formerly PHO at the time) first. I remember one of my first posts was asking if it was possible to have pokemon follow you, lol. Now we know that it's near impossible, and not very easy at all.

I first started doing basic hacking, adding grass, lv 100 pokemon, dumb stuff. Then I saw ShinyGold and Jupiter and I wanted to make something completely new, and awesome. It never happened. I tried mapping, failed miserably. Then I did some scripting, and it seemed to be something that I could do. So I began doing scripting, getting better over time. I actually ended getting so good at scripting that I made a tutorial, and eventually discovered Hackmew's knowledge. At Hackmew's knowledge, I began to learn ASM. I started with Hackmew's basic ASM, and then went on to modify it, tweak it, and eventually make my own ASM, starting with pseudo ASM, which ended up working, into some more different ASM. I read as much as I could from Hackmew's ASM, but it wasn't enough. I wanted more. So I went to JPAN's ASM tutorial document, and read that. It gave me a deep understanding of the GBA hardware and how the entire game was linked together. I went on to make a season's hack, my first ever ROM modification. It changed the palettes depending on the time of year. After that, I made it modify the tileset data, so that ponds would freeze over.

From there, I started to play with the idea of being able to make custom GUI's and new screens. I began to search up the GBA's hardware specs, and I found GBATek to be a wonderful resource. What to do with it though, was a mystery. Then I found thethethethe's GBA ASM tutorial, which covered basic GBA homebrew concepts written in ASM. Using his tutorial, I managed to make a sign GUI, which I sadly never released and was lost. After that, I made some small tweaking hacks, specifically for JPAN's berry engine for Fire Red. After weeks of tweaking and writing ASM, I managed to get a working-ish system, complete with what is now my Berry Bag Hack. Unfortunately, that was lost too, along with the berry bag hack. The bag hack had to be redone unfortunately.

At the peak of my hacking career, I tried Linux. I ended up loving Linux so much that I abandoned Windows, and ROM Hacking along with it. Wine existed, and was at version 1.2 at the time, but it sucked too badly to do any real hacking, so I quit for the time being. I also got addicted to Minecraft during beta 1.2_02, and as most Minecrafters do, installed some mods. Now with my switch to Linux, I switched to programming Java instead of C#. And since mods are written in Java, you know what I probably did: I started making mods. I made a mod for apples falling out of trees, different saplings for different trees, wolf collar colors, and my best mod, the Mining Drill block. Ironically, all my mods ended up going into Minecraft, except the Mining Drill block. After getting stressed out by Minecraft modding due to having to update constantly and all the annoying people whining for me to update, I quit modding, and went to Bukkit development. I updated some plugins, and made a few myself, and I enjoyed it. Less stress, more fun. However, people eventually wanted updates, and I didn't feel like doing them. However, I still contribute to the Bukkit github, and I am eagerly awaiting for it to be pulled.

Then I started to lurk. I checked the forums, and I occasionally posted. Then the lurking grew to activity, and when I got an e-mail from LaZ saying that RHO was up, I couldn't resist. I rejoined the scene. I spent my first few months starting to regain my ASM knowledge, looking at old code. Then I began my super secret project, and I also began to play with GUI's again. This time though, more advanced:

That's 100% written in ASM (converted from C code), on a standalone ROM. While I got it to insert into Fire Red, I got stuck on a problem that kinda put the idea on hold for now. But, during my searching, I got the idea to ask Mastermind_X how he did his Ruins of Alph routine. He basically told me it was written in C, and he decided to allow me to release the source temporarily until he cleans his code and releases it himself. However, the code didn't help much, as his memory of how he did it has failed to remember. So, I moved onto other hacks, and practiced my mapping skills (which are much better now). I began work on an abandoned project of mine, SEA, a cross-platform script editor written in Java. It is currently a WIP and semi-stable, semi-unstable. After doing some work, I decided to scour for something to do. After much thought, I managed to stumble upon a crystal remake that was made during my absence, which boasted a custom intro, and lost of custom ASM love in it. It was, unfortunately, fake. However, this did give me the inspiration to do the undone: To make a custom intro. After some small research, I've actually managed to get the game to execute my custom code between the copyright and the titlescreen, and I will soon release my intro hack in an advanced tutorial explaining how to make a custom intro. For those who are curious:

So my journey here has been a long one, and it was ultimately the reason I created my account here. I can honestly say that my stay here has been a wonderful one, and the administration, no matter how strict they are, are freaking awesome, and I thank them for spending their time to moderate here. :)

Man please make that tut - nothing would make me happier. Loving the story, and I can relate in certain spots, but I don't have the time or patience to type it up. Had to take links out cos I haven't done 15 posts yet lol

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2014
I am not sure. I might have, but I know I didn't start ROM hacking until 2011.

Years
Well I made this to play hacked games like Light Platinum, Bloody Platinum, Liquid Crystal and so on. So Yeah, :)

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Mar 14, 2021
i created my account to create a hack, and download other hacks... unfortunately for me, my idea never got any support :disappoin. like many others i'm sure. i haven't been on in almost a year and a half, but now im back and im gonna try again to make my dream hack come true :nervous:

Years
  • Seen Mar 13, 2014
I created this account for a ROM hack I was making about a year or so ago, which has long since been emptied out in my old computer's recycle bin :P It started with a desire to make a Pokemon hack, but I gave up shortly after because I didn't even have the drive to learn XSE at the time xD And then my friend brought it up a month or so ago and I told him I had some experience with this hacking and now we're working on our own hacks respectively :D We're moving at a pretty quick pace and are hoping to start learning ASM soon to do all the cool stuff you can do with that haha :)

Long story short, yes, I created this account for ROM hacking, and I've loved the entire community ever since (although I may not post much). ;)

Years
  • Seen Apr 7, 2016
I only made an account to ask questions.

You can tell by my post count that I'm not really active at all.

Years
  • CO
  • Seen Mar 16, 2023
I did and do only come here for Rom hacking and game development. But I have been noticing the decline in Rom hacking. As the tools are no longer being updated =( and the source code for these tools are no where to be found. Like all of Hackmew's tools, and the main tools we use for these mods. I do understand that a lot of time is being spent on the DS and 5th gen games but there is still a lot to do with the 3rd gen games. I am learning to program so that one day I will be able to make new tools and or update existing tools. Until some new tools either come out or some source code for the tools ( mainly Advance map, and all of Hackmew's tools ) are released. Because until then we will only be able to do so much.

Back