• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.
  • Want to share your adventures playing Pokémon?
    Check out our new Travel Journals forum for sharing playthroughs of ROM Hacks, Fan Games, and other Pokémon content!
  • IMPORTANT: Following a takedown request, the following hacks have been delisted from PokéCommunity:

• Pokémon Glazed
    • Pokémon: Giratina Strikes Back
    • Pokémon Flora Sky
    • Pokémon Stranded
    The downloads and discussion threads for these hacks will no longer be accessible, and staff will be unable to return questions regarding accessing this content.

[Developing] Pokémon: Phoenix Rising

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skyy

Just Sky ( :
Years
I've been waiting patiently for a very long time. Since before it was named what is now. I can patiently wait longer for this game if needed. Hope everything goes as planned for you as you hope it does ( :

Braviary75

Black_Kyurem75
Years
Continue as that you are awesome i can't wait faor play THE PERFECT POKEON FAN GAME on DS. You are the best. Great job.I follow you since I joined the forum. And I would say at your musician that music are very very good. I listen all the time

Fire Flyy

metaphysical poet
Years
I'm sorry, but I feel like the direction you're taking for Phoenix Rising isn't the right one. It would definitely be nice to have a fangame playable on DS, and I agree with you on the notion that the computer is an inferior medium for Pokemon gaming. Despite this, making an RMXP fangame is a large undertaking in itself, what with small teams, bug fixes and the fact that developers aren't committed to it full-time like with Game Freak. To me, C++ seems like you're taking something that's already extremely difficult and taking a direction that puts more of a burden on you. I'm not doubting your ability or anything, but I feel like the game should stay on RMXP, for the sake of having a very realistic chance at finishing it in a timely manner [by Pokemon fangame standards].

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
I'm actually more comfortable with C++ than the language used in RMXP. Nor have I dropped working on the RMXP version until everything is sure to be able to be converted easily and efficiently for C++. There is a program being written much like RMXP but using C++ instead of RGSS output meaning that there will be a full eventing system and mapping function in it as you see in RMXP. Which already has massive progress. I haven't changed direction, only added possibilities.

DaSpirit

Mad Programmer
Years
I have to agree with Fire Flyy. I've discussed what you've been doing and me and my friends felt as if you were somewhat taking a step backwards. The DS is much more limited than are computers. You could have easily just made your screen resolution even bigger if you thought it was really a problem.

I find it ironic how you're the one who started the topic "Building a Pokémon game from the ground up, worth it?" where you immediately say it's not worth it in the big picture.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jun 11, 2023
This looks absolutely fantastic! The music is great, the title theme sounds like a mix of Final Fantasy and Pokemon which is gorgeous. The maps are very colourful and detailed. Also, I like how the bushes shake in the background when you're in a battle, simple stuff like that make an excellent game.

Not sure if anyone mentioned this yet: a little suggestion, make Pokemon variants! That would be awesome, an old game that was being created called 'Pokemon: The Lost World' had very unique variations and it was very popular, unfortunately the creator lost all his files.

Anyway, Pokemon that lives at the beach may have a darker shade of skin due to constantly being in the sun. Pokemon living in snowy areas may have white fur instead of their normal fur, to help camouflage. I can always help with the recolouring but I see you already have many pixel artists prepared to do so. Anyway, that's just my suggestions. Keep up the terrific work and I will wait to see some more awesome updates! :)

Link to some variants made by Captain Arcane : http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=3069756&postcount=211

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
I'm a bit worn out from answering the same critique time and time again about the DS version of this game so I'm just going to say it one last time: this is still being developed for RMXP until the day comes (if it does) where the game can be ported over for the new engine and program built for DS, which is currently already almost as far developed as Essentials is. No time has been taken away from working on the RMXP version. None. So if the DS engine does not work then I have everything I've ever worked on related to this game still available. Nothing is lost by attempting to do what has never been done, nothing. So please, not as a moderator of this section, but as a developer of this game, please stop throwing negative comments at the team's efforts to bring this game to the DS. It's getting rude at this stage, I've asked on several occasions for the discussion on the sense and plausibility of it to cease. Had you read my original post in saying that the engine is nearly finished, not jus starting, you'd understand that this is not just a dream floating in the wind of the game's development.

If the engine doesn't work out, you can say "well I knew that would happen", but if it does then you'll have a game for the DS rather than just a .exe for the PC. The RMXP version is still being worked on and not losing attention. End of story. You're welcome to disbelieve the integrity of what I'm saying, but I'm just asking that you give us a chance to emplore some innovation. I'm not letting it delay a release so there's nothing to argue.

Last note is that I'm just going to delete or ignore any comments which are continuing to argue what platform this should it should not be on. I do appreciate concern but in all honesty the posts about positive suggestions and additions to the game are being ignored because of all this. So with the next update which should be some time this week I promise to get back to some of the posts you guys made, I'm not ignoring or skipping them.

So with that, I hope we can get back on track with discussion about the game and just end discussion on platforms, and just have a little faith in the Phoenix Rising team. You can always send me a PM if you want to take anything further in the light of platforms and such about the game. But notice, the prefix on this thread remains RMXP, not DS.

Last edited:
Years
Not sure if anyone mentioned this yet: a little suggestion, make Pokemon variants! That would be awesome, an old game that was being created called 'Pokemon: The Lost World' had very unique variations and it was very popular, unfortunately the creator lost all his files.

Anyway, Pokemon that lives at the beach may have a darker shade of skin due to constantly being in the sun. Pokemon living in snowy areas may have white fur instead of their normal fur, to help camouflage.http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=3069756&postcount=211

WOW, that IS a great suggestion. Not sure if the same poke can have different sprites but still, if that's doable, it'd be a great add to this or any game.

BTW, I think I speak for all when I say RMXP/C++ discussion is over. It's a pain to see so many new posts in this awesome thread about that. Let's keep it on topic please and let the team make their own choices, nobody else has any power of decision on their work. As we say in Argentina "los de afuera son de palo".

Doa

Analyzer
Years
My hunch worked...I knew browsing Pokemon-related YouTube videos would bring me back here somehow.

The proposed music for this game sounds amazing. I can't wait to see Phoenix Rising in action.

Years
I have rewatched the main post and I sincerely believe that if all these features fit in a DS game and gamefreak's developers do not start putting some of this into their games, they're just a bunch of jack***es or lazyass*s. I mean, those shadows and twinkling lights in the forest, the reallistic AND animated battle backgrounds (instead of abstract boring images), the flying pokes through the scene, that little waterfall in a screen (aren't they tired of making everything square?)... How can official games be so mediocre against fanmade pieces of art like this?

What I mean to say is congrats to the team once again :)

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
You can only hope this will serve as inspiration for the sixth gen. Who knows?

Cyclone

Years
Not talking about the platform and all whatsoever but is it possible to be putting moving sprites in your game like pokemon showdown since the background of the battle resembles the one used in pokemon showdown. So, with that being said, can u change the sprites into moving sprites from BW or is it not within your reach? No offense intended.

Riansky

Purr
Years
Not talking about the platform and all whatsoever but is it possible to be putting moving sprites in your game like pokemon showdown since the background of the battle resembles the one used in pokemon showdown. So, with that being said, can u change the sprites into moving sprites from BW or is it not within your reach? No offense intended.

I'm pretty sure that the sprites are already moving. Anyway I also think that Pokemon Showdown stole backgrounds from Kymotonian but anyway I won't go offtopic much.

I'm really looking forward for next update, the game looks incredible nice!

Triple R

PokéFan Incognito
Years
This is an impressive project - I've already heard a couple more pieces from the composers' YouTube channels, and I eagerly anticipate another sneak peek into this game.

Anyway, since Ho-Oh is the primary legendary in the main story gameplay (or so I've gathered), does this mean Lugia will play a role too? I ask this not only because of the Ho-Oh/Lugia duality in G/S/C, but because the Azure Flute (azure means blue, by the way - it isn't a noun) is lost at the bottom of the deepest lake - and is irretrievable unless someone could successfully dive for it...and Lugia is the Diving Pokemon, and would act as a guardian of Hawthorne's seas as Ho-Oh returns to protecting the skies. Those are my thoughts, anyway - if this project could use some plot refinement (or spell-checking), I'd be happy to assist.

Good luck creating a working game, and I wish you more good luck on the DS release.

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2013
I'm honestly more excited to get my hands on this than I am to get my hands on B/W 2. Game seriously looks that good.

dgeneratio

Dgeneratio
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Nov 22, 2017
Reply to Pokemon Phoenix Rising

regarding the platform i don't mind what is used as long as i can play for free, for DS you can always use an emulator. My only concern is that people could download the rom, hack it and claim it as their own but that could be done with any fan game.

regarding the game i would love a battle frontier unless its too hard, would be nice to see and battle champions from previous games too. good luck with this game really looking forward to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back