• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Starter Pokémon

Pick a starter.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

kgarra8649

Black 2= Beat in 1 day!!!!!
Years
IDK why but I just like the look of Froakie. Again, it's getting a lot of hate but still I like it.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Sep 11, 2013
I've always picked the grass or water, and I think it'll keep the pattern. Ive decided upon Chespin, so yeah. I'm interested in seeing especially Froakie's evolutions though.

JayTheKing

~~King Of Valla~~
Years
My decision was never affected by what gyms where in the region.The main story is never hard.The hard part is after the League when you can go to the Battle Frontier and you might also want to play online.I always pick what i like the most in appearance.I might have voted Fenn but i regret that and i am gonna pick Chespin who is the unique one.

Impo

Playhouse Pokemon
Years
I never usually like the fire types but this time im going to have to go with Fennekin

The only frog i like is politoed

Del

Iт'ѕ rαιɴιɴɢ oυтѕιde [...]
Years
Chespin seems so cool and energic!!! I will chose it when my first gameplay comes!!yayyyyyyyy
Chespin i wonder what i will name you.. hmmm...

Years
Guys I have a dilemma (well not really I just wanna talk =P)

I'll be having a Pangoro (Fighting/Dark) and Malamar (Psychic/Dark) on my team. I really want to pick Chespin as my starter though - I always wanted to.

If I pick Chespin then I have 2 pokes on my team with 4X weakness to Bug (assuming Chespin's evo is Grass/Dark) and 3 Dark types.
Of course I could always train Honedge and Fletchling to balance that out.
I could also do a monotype run of Dark types as well. But I'd like to avoid that on my first run through a new game.

I could pick Fennekin to handle the bugs for me and have 2 Psychic types and 2 Dark types.
I think this is the most balanced pick of the three.

I could pick Froakie and have 2 Fighting types and 2 Dark Types, but I don't like that weakness to Flying.

Needless to say, Pangoro and Malamar is a great combination to cover the Fight-Dark-Psychic chain.
But anyone training these two like I will will be faced with the same dilemma as me and will have double of at least one type.

Is anybody else planning to train Pangoro and Malamar at the same time like me? If so, does this influence your starter pick?

This is all based on the assumption that the starters evos are Water/Fighting, Fire/Psychic, and Grass/Dark of course :)

Chr. Draco

Spatial Rift
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 11, 2024
i think i will be starting whith chespin this generation, i think i have an affinity to grass type; ofcourse I'll would like to get all the starters and train them.

PixelWarrior

Conqueror of Castles
Years
At first glance, I thought Froakie was alright and the other two were real contenders for my choice, but it looks like this gen is going to be another where I box the starter after my first team capture. I do that for pretty much every region other than Hoenn, actually. I have just never found the starters to be too great. Hopefully, the evolutions of these will prove me wrong.

Way back when X and Y was introduced, I was completely convinced and set on Fennekin. Now, I'm even more content with the choice of Chespin. The fire fox is a bit too simple for my tastes, and like I said, I never even considered Froakie. The only way I would go back to Fennekin would be if Chespin's evolutions are extremely horrendous, ahaha.

Years
  • Seen Jul 26, 2013
In emerald I picked Torchic twice, once when it was my first pokemon game and once a few months ago when I got back into pokemon. I picked Piplup when I did diamond a few weeks ago because on my first playthrough I picked Chimchar. I picked Charmander in LeafGreen and Cyndaquil in SoulSilver, so I think I'll go with Chespin, mainly because he looks like he will be a grass/rock or grass/dark.

Austin1395

Dark-type Trainer
Years

I'll be having a Pangoro (Fighting/Dark) and Malamar (Psychic/Dark) on my team. I really want to pick Chespin as my starter though - I always wanted to.

If I pick Chespin then I have 2 pokes on my team with 4X weakness to Bug (assuming Chespin's evo is Grass/Dark) and 3 Dark types.
I could also do a monotype run of Dark types as well. But I'd like to avoid that on my first run through a new game.

I could pick Fennekin to handle the bugs for me and have 2 Psychic types and 2 Dark types.

I could pick Froakie and have 2 Fighting types and 2 Dark Types, but I don't like that weakness to Flying.

Needless to say, Pangoro and Malamar is a great combination to cover the Fight-Dark-Psychic chain.
But anyone training these two like I will will be faced with the same dilemma as me and will have double of at least one type.

Is anybody else planning to train Pangoro and Malamar at the same time like me? If so, does this influence your starter pick?

This is all based on the assumption that the starters evos are Water/Fighting, Fire/Psychic, and Grass/Dark of course :)

This isn't a problem for me since I'm a Dark-type Trainer. I plan on getting Chespin, Pancham, and Inkay as it stands now. Not sure for the rest of my team, we'll see what happens as either more Pokemon are revealed or when I get the game. Either way, I'm going for all Dark types. Maybe one who isn't but sort of looks like they could be Dark type, just to be balanced out.

JayTheKing

~~King Of Valla~~
Years

Since it is only for the main story you can pick whatever you want.
You can finish the main story with just one type of Pokemon.You might just need some more training.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 21, 2021
Surprisingly the new anime trailer endeared me to Chespin and Froakie a lot more than it did Fennekin.

It was probably because I already expected Fennekin to do something like that....but Chespin and Froakie were unexpected.

It definitely makes things more awkward, Chespin looks great in the anime.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 14, 2021
Its either Chespin or Fennekin for me, I just can't find myself starting with a water type. I've always picked a Fire or Grass type starter and rarely a water type starters.

BubbleBeams

Defeating Champions Since 1999
Years
  • Age 34
  • Iowa
  • Seen Oct 26, 2021
I have had my eyes on Chespin right from the get-go. I almost always love the grass starters (the last couple of generations I have been more likely to go with the water starters) and I really love rodents so Chespin caught my attention immediately. Hearing that it will become part Dark type when it's fully evolved appeals me to it even more (although I've now become appealed to Fennekin for becoming part Psychic).

I really can't wait to see the final evolutions for the starters. Who knows, maybe I'll change my mind before I make my final choice.

Years

I'm choosing Fennekin, while also having Pangoro and Malamar. I never really focus on balancing my team when I play through the story of any Pokemon game, as long as I have Surf and Fly on my team, I just choose whatever >.< Of course, I do try to balance it out, but sometimes it's too hard and I end up having 3 fire-types on my team.

We don't even know their stats yet, needless to say Fennekin's weaknesses and Malamar/Pangoro's strengths and vice versa practically cancel each other out. Even though, I was always choosing Fennekin, but it's nice to get a little extra bonus from choosing it haha.

Then again, Bug Pokemon (apart from the start of the games but they usually don't carry any Bug-moves anyway) aren't exactly common with trainers, so choosing Chespin won't matter THAT much, at least in my opinion.

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2013
Froakie's always been the adorable one to me, so ya, I like him best.
I used to hate Chespin, but he's been growing on me.
Fennekin is just a knockoff of Vulpix. I mean, seriously?
"There ain't enough room in this town for two fire foxes with psychic abilities"

To be quite honest, however, I might just use froakie as an HM slave, grab an Eevee, and use Umbreon when X and Y rolls around. I might. Depends on Froakie's evolution.

Starlight Sprite

Resident Moon Fairy
Years
Fennekin is my favorite right now. I won't make a final decision until I see the evolutions. If it's going to be another Fire / Fighting type then I'm switching to Chespin. Something tells me it won't given its appearance, but I thought the same of Tepig when it was first revealed as well. I'm under the impression that Fennekin is Fire/Psychic but that's a guess.

Slowking

Live By The Creed
Years
chespin look the most orignal of all three, fennekin is just vulpix remade, and i really don't like froakie because the 'hair' on his nose looks like he has those stupid 'harry potter ' glasses

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jan 5, 2018
Just because Fennekin is a fox doesn't make it a Vulpix remake seriously... It's like saying Froakie is a remake of Poliwag... Fennekin is a different type of Fox also it will have two evolution compared to Vulpix who have only one.

Infinite Latios

Champion
Years
I like Froakie the best. Chespin... It's supposed to be a grass-type hedgehog Pokemon, right? Don't we already have one of those? And while we also have a fire-type Fox Pokemon, that's not my problem with Fennekin. What I don't like about Fennekin is those oversized eyes and thin body. They make it look ugly. They don't look right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back