• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Writer's Ultimate Challenge! (Game for Writers)

Dragonfree

Teh Spwriter. :3
Years
Ash began to stutter. "I... I... I... No, that is not... Not true! Pikachu will never do that! That isn't it! it isn't! No way I'll believe this!" He'll not listen.
But Frosty, now you're switching tenses. Ash began to stutter, which makes the narration past tense, but "He'll not listen" is present tense, meaning it must be a part of the dialogue.

Light_Azumarill

Danny Phantom!
Years
XD What?? Okay then... I was really just following suit when I added words in there. The others did so I assumed... Anyway, I might try the new one later.

On a personal note, I really think it would be funner if we were allowed to add words in; it would give us a chance to compete creatively as well as mechanically. Oh well though. You're the boss Frosty. ^-^

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
Years
Dragonfree said:
But Frosty, now you're switching tenses. Ash began to stutter, which makes the narration past tense, but "He'll not listen" is present tense, meaning it must be a part of the dialogue.

You're right. I should have used begin.

Correction on last question: Eventidemjj has the best answer, with Dragonfree having the next closest answer.

Breezy: 0
Charon-chan: 0
Dragonfree: 2 (1+1)
Eventidemjj: 2 (0+2)
Light Azumarill: 0
Yamato-san: 0

@ Yamato-san: Wow, 26? Which ones do you have? I couldn't find 26 myself ^^;

Hmm maybe I'll add that you have to list the devices/figures of speech as well. *edits the question* (note: Since I added to the question afterwards, those of you who answered to this question before this post will not be disqualified for not listing which devices/figures of speech did you find.)

Don't worry. The next one is almost completely creative thinking/writing.

Light_Azumarill

Danny Phantom!
Years
Cool! Creative writing! Though... I must admit there are better ones than me. ^-^; I will keep a positive outlook though. As for this one: *bold and bracketed are the figures*

Grunt A: ["Ewww!"]

Grunt B: "I know, it's pretty ugly."

Grunt A: "[Oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh]... what do we do now?"

Grunt B: "[Good grief]! Clean up the mess before the Boss finds out!"

Grunt A: "But what if the Boss comes in right now and finds out that we've lost the key to the safe? Then I'll be [kicked out] of Team Rocket! Or worst... oh the Boss will [kill me a thousand times] for that!"

Grunt B: "[As quick as a crafty Ninjask]! We must find the key!"

Grunt B: "Hey! I thought I told you to find it immediately! [Gosh, you Slowbro]!"

Grunt A: "I can't see anything! It's too dark!"

Grunt B: "Try to light the fire then!"

Grunt A: "But what if[... ]the Boss[...] ?"

Grunt B: "[(Darn it you're paranoid)] Just hurry it up!"

Grunt A: "Ok, ok[...] The Boss!"

Grunt B: "What are you- Boss!"

Rocket Boss: "So, what should I do to those who lost the key to the safe?"

Meep. 11 is all I got. Hm... I know I missed some of them. There's porbably more. *shrugs* I'm not the best at picking out these things. ^^; Anyway, I have a question: do we have to actually say why they are figures of speech? Or do we have to name the kinds of figures of speech they are? I don't remember the technical names of them. Though, I could say why I think they're figures of speech. ^-^

prolific_rhapsody

Paradox in Paradigm
Years
Yeah, another one! Here we go:

Grunt A: "Ewww!"

Grunt B: "I know, it's pretty ugly."

Grunt A: "Oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh... what do we do now?"

Grunt B: "Good grief! Clean up the mess before the Boss finds out!"

Grunt A: "But what if the Boss comes in right now and finds out that we've lost the key to the safe? Then I'll be kicked out of Team Rocket! Or worst... oh the Boss will kill me a thousand times for that!"

Grunt B: "As quick as a crafty Ninjask! We must find the key!"

Grunt B: "Hey! I thought I told you to find it immediately! Gosh, you Slowbro!"

Grunt B: "Try to light the fire then!"

Grunt A: "But what if... the Boss... ?"

Grunt B: "(Darn it you're paranoid) Just hurry it up!"

Grunt A: "Ok, ok... The Boss!"

Rocket Boss: "So, what should I do to those who lost the key to the safe?"

The words that are bold and underlined are ALL the figures of speech and stylistic devices that I could find. I found nineteen personally.

I am shooting for that bonus point...

Last edited:

Yamato-san

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Feb 15, 2012
I'm not exactly sure what a "stylistic device" is, but judging by the name, I think it's something to kinda spice up the speaking and the writing, like an exclamation (ex. Hey!) or, judging by your clue, a type of unique punctuation, maybe even use of things like parenthesis. Looking through it again, it looks like I was off by a couple, so I'm changing my answer to 24.

1. "Ewww!"
2. "pretty ugly"
3. "Oh my gosh"
4. "oh my gosh"
5. "oh my gosh"
6. "..."
7. "Good grief!"
8. "Clean up the mess"
9. "kicked out"
10. "Or worst" (sometimes when people say this, they exaggerate)
11. "..."
12. "kill me a thousand times"
13. "quick as a crafty Ninjask"
14. "Hey!"
15. "Gosh"
16. "you Slowbro!"
17. "light the fire" (the grunt could've had a lighter, but it could've also been a metaphor for a flashlight)
18. "..."
19. "..."
20. "("
21. "Darn it"
22. "you're paranoid"
23. ")"
24. "..."
25. "-"

Last edited:

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
Years
Oh I see, you counted the repeated devices too. I thought that you found 24 different ones. I was like "... WOAH!?" XD;

Time's up! Excluding repetitions of the same devices, there are...

Grunt A: "Ewww!"- onomatopia (description of sound)

Grunt B: "I know, it's pretty ugly."- oxymoron (two words of completely opposite meaning, side by side with each other in order to convey an idea)

Grunt A: "Oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh... what do we do now?"- repetition (repeating the same words/phrases), elipsis (omitting certain words), euphemism (substituition of word/s with other word/s that will normally have no meaning in order to reduce the offensive nature of the original word/s), perissologia (fault of unnecessary wordiness)

Grunt B: "Good grief! Clean up the mess before the Boss finds out!"- alliteration (repetition of consonants as the first letters in words)

Grunt A: "But what if the Boss comes in right now and finds out that we've lost the key to the safe? Then I'll be kicked out of Team Rocket! Or worst... oh the Boss will kill me a thousand times for that!" foreshadow (hinting an upcoming event), verbal irony (exaggeration)

Grunt B: "As quick as a crafty Ninjask! We must find the key!" simile (explicit comparison)

Grunt B: "Hey! I thought I told you to find it immediately! Gosh, you Slowbro!" metaphor (implicit comparison)

Grunt B: "Try to light the fire then!" Assonance (alliteration on the first sound in words)

Grunt A: "But what if... the Boss... ?"

Grunt B: "(Darn it you're paranoid) Just hurry it up!" Parenthesis (interruption of the natural flow)

Grunt A: "Ok, ok... The Boss!"

Rocket Boss: "So, what should I do to those who lost the key to the safe?" erotema (rhetorical question)

There are 14 different devices used at least (I didn't count the really absurd ones that are a specific type of another device, with the exception of simile/metaphor. Simile is a type of metaphor, technically. I showed perissologia, and repetition is technically a type of perissologia too.) Technically there are a few more, but I didn't do a very good job of showcasing them, so I didn't bother with it.

The closest answer is Eventidemjj, with Yamato-san getting the next.

Dragonfree: 2 (1+1)
Eventidemjj: 4 (2+2)
Light Azumarill: 0
Yamato-san: 1 (0+1)

Ok, this one is all about writing now, and not grammar knowledge. Let's see how good you can write!

Question #4- Write a short paragraph that's pacted with details about Rattata in any style you want using exactly 60 words! At a very minimum, the paragraph must talk about these 4 points:
-Rattata's most famous attack is the Hyper Fang.
-Rattata's evolved form is Raticate.
-Rattata is a common capture target for beginning trainers.
-The Rattata family rarely appears in today's Pokemon fanfics.
If you can, you may add additional details about Rattata and/or Raticate in your paragraph.

Note: As a guideline, the 4 short sentences above have a total of 31 words.

Additional note: You may make up any details about Rattata as you like (such as its habitat, food source, etc), as long as it is within reasons and does not contradict the Pokemon Game canon (for example, saying that Raticate is a water type is obviously a contradiction against the canon.)

Have fun =D

Last edited:

Dragonfree

Years
Rattata, despite being the first capture of many Pok?mon trainers, is not a common sight in the Pok?mon fanfiction of today; it is at the most possessed by an occasional Youngster (Rattata being practically the trademark of a weak trainer). Otherwise Rattata and its evolution Raticate themselves are of less interest to authors than their famous Hyper Fang signature move.

prolific_rhapsody

Paradox in Paradigm
Years
Yeah! Let's Go:

Rattata (pronounced 'Rat-uh-taht'), the normal type pok?mon, is legendary in the fact that it is one of the most commonly captured pok?mon by beginning trainers, mainly in the outskirts of Pallet Town. This pok?mon's most largely known attack is "Hyper Fang." This move is more common among "Raticate," Rattata's evolved form. This pok?mon family isn't featured in many fanfics today.

There's my entry, exactly sixty words (rat-uh-taht being one word)! I wouldn't miss this for the world!
Is it just me, or is it that when the work got hard, everyone left?

Last edited:

Yamato-san

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Feb 15, 2012
Is it acceptable to describe a scene as opposed to a data entry of some kind?

The young trainer released his Squirtle upon encountering Rattata, Raticate?s unpopular pre-evolution. Squirtle tried tackling its opponent, but missed. Rattata?s front fangs glowed white before jumping at Squirtle to bite into its arm. Squirtle?s eyes and mouth momentarily glowed white before a small explosion came from its mouth. Rattata fled, and Squirtle sat, mouth smoking, half its life force depleted.

Doing an exact number of words is hard. BTW, "pre-evolution" counts as one word, right?

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
Years
Pre-evolution counts as one word. You can also use that prose instead of data entry, but you didn't include all of the 4 points. Shouldn't be hard to squeeze in the detail about Rattata being a common capture target for new trainers, but I'm not sure how you can add in the fact about fanfics. Fix it if you can/want to.

I'll leave this question for a day longer to see if they really are avoiding it due to diffuculty XD;

Yamato-san

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Feb 15, 2012
um.... I thought the fact that it's a "young" trainer with a starter Pokemon was enough to emphasize that. I would've said "new Squirtle", but you know, I'm really hard-pressed on word-usage there.

Light_Azumarill

Danny Phantom!
Years
Fwee! XD

"Rattata scurried quickly in the underbrush, purple fur blending with the shadowed spots. In his mouth, his prey, which he had subdued using Hyper Fang, a famous attack. He was quick; beginning trainers loved his kind, though rarely they mentioned them in stories. Popping his head up he noticed a Raticate. Someday, he too would evolve into that striking creature."

Hopefully, 'stories' can be construed as 'fanfics'. It's kinda hard for a Rattata to know about fanfiction. ^-^; Though, if it's not, I could change it I suppose.

Getting it exactly 60 words was hard; I started out with 74! XD

Dragonfree

Years
Heh, mine was originally 69 and had a bit about the Youngster who possess Rattata usually being defeated by the main character. Had to take that out.

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
Years
Ok I finished with Lily's birthday present now, so I can come back for the game ^_^; Sorry everyone.

Now for the last question... Going to look at the entry format first, then the story format answers. Since it is a lot easier to do this question by entry, I'm going to side with the story format ones a little more... let's see how this goes.

Dragonfree: 6 pieces of information (2 extra: first capture, trademark of a weak trainer)

Eventidemjj: 7 pieces of information (3 extra: pronunciation, location, type)

Now the story formats...

Light-Azumarill: mentioned 5 details (1 extra: purple fur) which is hard for the story format. However, the sentence about the prey being subdued by Hyper Fang lacks a verb and is an incomplete sentence...

Yamato-san: focused probably half of the word counts on the strength and the effect of hyper fang. Sadly, the point about Rattata being unpopular in fanfic isn't as obvious as Lighht_Azumarill's, and there's no extra information.

Therefore...

Dragonfree: 2
Eventidemjj: 5 (4+1)
Light Azumarill: 1 (0+1)
Yamato-san: 2 (1+1)

No one is an obvious winner, so I awarded 1points instead.

Question #5
Look at the character profile below. Through the literary device of stereotyping, choose any Pokemon of your choice for this character and explain why your choice of Pokemon is a good *companion* for this character.

Name: Philip
-He lives in an abandoned lighthouse, alone
-The lighthouse is facing the sea, with a forest and a swamp nearby
-The region is humid. It rains very often.

Income: little

Hobby: Star gazing, garden planting, writing letters to his friends faraway

Physical abilties: not handicapped, but has some problems with bending over

Other information
-Relies on his own garden to survive
-The lighthouse feels surprisingly creepy lately...
-Owns a Miltank exclusively for MooMoo Milk
-Wants another Pokemon because he feels lonely

Yamato-san

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Feb 15, 2012
Exeggcute. It could've originated from the nearby forest, and being a grass-type, it thrives on the humidity. The old man likes having them around because, being seeds, they represent his love of gardening, and since there's six of them, they easily solve his loneliness.

Light_Azumarill

Danny Phantom!
Years
Yay! I got a point! *does happy dance* Man... that sentence had no verb... o.o Must've cut it out when I tried to make it short enough. Oops. ^^; Anyway, about the new one...

I would say Volbeat.

Here's my reasons:

Volbeat are electric pokemon. Thus, the scary and old lighthouse would not be as creepy with its electric light-up abilities.

They also can fly; which means that they can help the old man pick up things so he would not have to bend over. Not to mention they can fly his letters to far off places.

As for the gardening, Volbeat is a bug pokemon. It may not be a grass pokemon with roots or vines or flowers or something, but it can help polinate, and perhaps attact others to the flowers/plants.

Eh, that's all I could think of. Seems to fit pretty good to me. Man, I had to think forever though... kept wanting to put down Ivysaur, but I really wanted to include the electric thing. I personally find the dark really creepy. O.O

Back