• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Spriting Tutorials - Pokemon and Trainer

GlaciaFox

A wandering Elite Glaceon
Years
thnx this really helped me. i've always tried figuring out how to make a sprite without it being a random generator or already been made and having to re-edit it.

Years
These guides are great, I like the fact that they are very basic and easy to understand. I've learned a lot from them. Hope there's more to come. :)

Snowdrop

Back and ready to babble!
Years
Alright well I know the rules about not posting in a topic that hasn't seen some action in a month, but this is someone's Graphics thread and it might not be so easy to replicate, so I'll post. If it's against the rules, then just delete this lol.

Your guide was extremely helpful. Also it got me to use MS Pain which I probably never would have laid a finger on haha. So these are my very first MS attempts at spriting. I did two sprites in GIMP but the program can't draw circles and shapes properly (with a border instead of a fill). So here they are...

Chesu

Boss Carrot
Years
Does that rule apply to stickied threads? Hmm... No idea. In any case I, the topic creator, have now posted, so it should be fine.

Your designs do need work, but this it a good starting point. I recommend playing around with the real Pokemon sprites, to get a feel for how they're shaped and shaded. You should try using the Amalgamon tutorial.

Years
How would I do this: If I had to make an original sprite of something bigger or smaller than the original sprite without making it go pixelated. This is for a ROM hack btw.

Chesu

Boss Carrot
Years
Unfortunately, due to the generally low resolution and importance of clarity in pixel art, sprites can be a little hard to resize. For a completely loss-free resizing of something, you generally have to resize it by full increments, i.e. 50% or 200%. The further from a full increment the resize is, the more it will distort. If you want to, say, shrink a Black/White sprite to work in a GBA rom, you will either have to resize it then go through and manually fix anything that looks wrong, or just draw the sprite from scratch at the required resolution.

RainbowRebeccca

A Ralts Lover-Person-Thing
Years
Your tutorials helped me when I got into spriting, I was, before reading them, just horrid, now I'm almost actually okay. Anyways, I'm just saying thanks for the great tutorials. :laugh:

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
rival_varion_by_nintendork15-d5nuenk.png
bulbasaur___revamp_by_nintendork15-d5fgx6s.png
leader_thorn___the_deadly_touch__by_nintendork15-d5cv1du.png
leader_freya___hgss_style_by_nintendork15-d5cs6o7.png
lucky_jack___hgss_style_by_nintendork15-d5cs1id.png

I've been reading all your tutorials for a good few months now, I love using them, they've helped me improve so much.
Although I tend to look at other sprites for poses an shading references.

LuxLax

Want-To-Be Master
Years
  • Seen Jul 4, 2013
Thank you! Now I can make a trainer avatar for PC!

Oshy

♩♫♩
Years
  • Seen Apr 23, 2013
This is a great tutorial! Very organized and shows many different techniques! I will forsure try spriting now!

Years
  • Seen Oct 18, 2017
Thanks for this! Just made this using your Pixel over tutorial!

i998.photobucket.com/albums/af109/Joeyhugg/DarkraiFinished_zps47a6bd62.png

(Reference Image: i998.photobucket.com/albums/af109/Joeyhugg/DarkraiPic_zps1c2f6fad.png)

Years
Keep in mind you require 4+ words for your posts here at PC as it is an official rule of the whole forum.

And personally I use Photoshop CS4, but some people use MS Paint or GraphicsGale (but this one is pretty rare here).

Chesu

Boss Carrot
Years
A lot of people like paint.net, but I prefer Paint XP (a standalone version of the Windows XP version of Microsoft Paint) and Paint Shop Pro.

Years
  • Seen Jun 21, 2013
SIMPLI AMAZING:.....TNX................................................................................

Back