• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Midnight Black

Arkayne

Head of Forever Midnight
Years
Forever Midnight

Forever Midnight used to be a project called Pokemon Midnight Black, and despite this, it has very few similarities with the Pokemon universe. Perhaps, the most obvious connection between the two is that they both are inhabitated by creatures that are classified into different groups. Other then that, the graphics used in the game are of the Pokemon games. Still, it isn't something to be mistaken for as a usual project.
-------------------------------------------------

Game Overview!

First of all, let's get this out of the way. Hopefully this will catch your attention for a little :P :

Creature.png

A possible evolution of a creature in Midnight Woods, and although very hard to get, it is possible and highly recommended because this creature is one hell of a fighter!
The first thing you can see from it, is that it is one awesome-looking creature :D (I'm wondering if it should it be red and black, or a green-blue color?) and is intimidating to enemies. Now obviously, that is motivation for getting the creature, but far more important, is its role in battle. --- is extremely powerful, and the combination of its sharp claws and the pressure of its jaw can be devastating. Basically, its body was meant for killing, and because of that it doesn't specialize with too much nature-style moves. Though it is quite slow, it hovers above land where most ground-based enemies have trouble hitting it, and its body is covered by a very hard shell. Still, its wings are very fragile and that proves to be ---'s ultimate weakness against other flying enemies, especially bird-like ones.

Pokemon Forever Midnight?​
As you'll soon see (with the rest of this post), this game has few connections with the actual copyrighted Pokemon series. The fact is, right now this project is missing a good scripter (as much as I don't like it, I have to resort to editing the Starter Kit for now), original graphics, and original sound. So if anyone wonders, "Well this isn't too much like the standard Pokemon games :shocked: " it's because it really isn't meant to be.

Overall Background Details​
There really isn't much to talk about here. It's a game being made in RMXP, and currently there are only two project members, me (the designer, writer, mapper, organiser, might script a little) and my friend (artist, might script and sprite a little). This game obviously is influenced by Pokemon.

General Game Info​
The 'rating' for this game is easily Teen. This game is not going for the young, everyone audience like Nintendo has, though neither is it going for the excessive violence like in Rockstar games.
This game is going to be difficult. By difficult, I mean much much harder than the regular Pokemon games (although I may make difficulty modes).
The game is much less linear than the Pokemon games, at the same time it has a very important story.
Locations, and the general scale of the world is massive.
Battles will be very different than the regular TBS.

As you can see, I'm quite happy with how everything is going, because while normally I'd have already quit my project, this time around I'm adding features :D . Anways, look for a release date somewhere around 2007...

In-Depth Game Features

The Battle!!!
Heh, I'll get right to this since that is what most of you people (the stalkers know who they are :tired: ) want. My goal with this project, is to make a very fun, addictive, and exciting battle system that doesn't require a team of a dozen scripters working full-time. Now with what I have in mind, even I'd be able to make it soon (although it would take a long time), but I'm going to have to think 'out of the box' to get it as original and creative as I can. Right now, I've planned for it to be a mix of real-time and turn-based. There are still battle transitions but the battle is played out with an ATB system similar to the one in Final Fantasy 9. Locations influence the battle, and 'types' play less or more of a role than in the past, now with the individual creature to be more detailed and important. Other additions are moves are of a much larger variety with plenty of new effects, battles are much larger than one-on-one, and creatures will interact with each other in more ways.
Now honestly, people may look at that and say "Wow that is impossible Arkayne! How do you plan on doing that!?". The answer is simply that the things listed above are not much harder than making a standard Pokemon game and they would take a 'decent' scripter to make. The only problem with those is that the many factors would be long and tedious to make. Now what's difficult about the project's battle system is that the features above are the easy part (yeah... couldn't word it the best), the thing that will really be a problem is that I have to (want to) make a feature that stands out from the rest of the crowd, not just fan-games, but commercial games as well.

The Creatures, The World :2:
The world of Midnight Black, is a real, living world. It has an ecosystem too, and that is represented by daily life in the creatures (I will most likely make it so that you can see the creatures do everyday things [90% of the time these would be preset, because I'm not making a huge AI system]. Although they won't have an advanced AI, you'll be able to see them interact with each other and the environment. Aggressive creatures will attack you, others will run [maybe lures and capture techniques will play a new role in the game ;) , a battle starts when the other creature(s) comes into contact with you). Because of this, things are detailed. If a certain area has a plant that unleashes a poisonous gas, you will not find many creatures around there. Sometimes a certain species may be the dominating force of a certain spot. Now this will be quite hard to make (even a simple AI is a hard one), but in the end it will be worth it to make the game that much more immersive.
Over your travels you will encounter many creatures, and maybe never even see any. Some are regular creatures, some have special traits. Some are extremely common, and others are one-of-a-kind. Out of these there are three very unique creature 'sub-classes'. There are the dominant creatures, while they may not be too special, their stats are significantly higher than others (Let's say that there is a pack of wolves in an area, the dominant creature would be the leader of the pack). They will most of the time have special traits too (maybe even a unique move?). There are the legendary creatures which are of a extinct species (them being the only remaining creature) and are extremely powerful. And then there are the boss creatures. The boss creatures play a huge role in the story and are extremely strong. They require speed, teamwork, and strategy to beat. There is a special way to have your own boss creature later in the game...
Now that we're done talking about the species sub-classes, there is a completely different kind of sub-class, the types. The types are similar in one way to the Pokemon-types, but they also get much more specific with each species and are less generalized. Also, double-types do not share the same strengths and weaknesses, they can mix to make a completely new type. Here are just two of the Element types:

Pyro: A creature that can control heat.
Strengths: A Pyro creature generally has advantages over a Natural or Frost creature. The strongest stats of a Pyro creature are usually its power and guard, and their attacks usually affect a large number of creatures in battle.
Weaknesses: A Pyro creature generally has disadvantages over a Water or Air creature, and doesn't damage Mineral creatures very much either. Usually the lower stats of a Pyro creature are agility and type stats. Also most Pyro attacks are slow and may even backfire.

Water: A creature that can control water or similar liquids.
Strengths: A Water creature generally has advantages over a Pyro or Mineral creature. The strongest stats of a Water creature are usually its type stats. A Water creature usually has moves that specialize in quick, effective hits, or a very powerful attack on a single target.
Weaknesses: A Water creature generally has disadvantages over a
Lightning creature and will deal less damage to a Nature, Ice, and sometimes an Air creature. Usually the lower stats of a Water creature are its health, power, and guard.

Now I admit with this one, this will make the project harder than a standard Pokemon game. Loads harder? Not 100% true. While the graphics will be a huge problem (if I make it so that you can see the creatures in the world), the other things can easily be solved with variables and events. I'm not planning on having anywhere close to 300 creatures either, so I can focus on adding depth and uniqueness to all of them.

The Tour Guide
So how big is the game? Well, it isn't MMORPG huge, but the places are definitely larger than in Pokemon games. Look forward to seeing more than 5 houses in a town. Also, the natural environments will be very big and detailed, and there will be more variety because of those tiny little details that seperate one location from another.
In terms of NPCs, don't expect anything breakthrough. Maybe with some NPCs you'll be able to start small conversations by choosing some options, but definitely not much AI with them, only preset activities. Although, I will make some very important additions to these preset activities so that places are much more lively.

Good or Bad?​
Now there! This isn't Fable :cheeky: ! Still expect choice to play an important role in the story. Also, there will be many mini-games, side-quests, and secrets that will actually be worth it.

Friend-Wooping Frenzy!​
Eh, not so much there. A single-player game is the only thing I have in mind for the near future. Maybe after that is completed I'll start thinking some more with the rest. Though I admit, multiplayer is needed for a surviving game.

The Quest​
The quest is obvious throughout the game, and this time around, it actually means something :surprised ! Enemies with personality and goals, a trainer that has a reason for somehow being better than everyone else (and it isn't so cliche), and an actual purpose.

Anyways, that's all (what more could anyone want from me!!!). Please post your opinions.

SPOTS ARE OPEN FOR HIGH-QUALITY SPRITER AND LEAD SCRIPTER! PM ME IF YOU THINK YOU GOT WHAT IT TAKES!!!

Last edited:

Jeff_PKLight

RMXP User
Years
Cool Arkayne! Never knew you joined Pokecommunity too. XD

Btw, that's the longest first post concerning text I've ever seen. XD A lot of great detail.
For the screens, I think you added too much details (just a tad bit though). Looks great for a start! :)

mewX

Advanced RM Coder(I think)
Years
Wow, that looks very nice!
I like the screens.
The idea to make new special buildings is very good.

Arkayne

Head of Forever Midnight
Years
Comos Village
Comos Village plays a very important part of this project. At the same time, I'm 80% sure that it will not be in the real version (well... maybe not in the usual ways). So what is so important about this village then? Well to me, Comos Village will be my testing grounds for all the features. As we make progress with the game features, we will test them out in Comos, and fix any bugs that we see. What is so important about it to? It's helping us make the game here people!!! Other than that, Comos will probably be your #1 source of in-game visuals, and it will be your very first demo for a long, long, time. Now, let's get on to the village tour![/IMG]

***New sprites have not been made yet. Even if I do not get a 'full-time' spriter for the full version of the game, I will try my best to make original sprites for Comos Village***

SpringPass.png

Spring Pass is a beautiful area that is important as both a wild area to find other creatures, as a recreational area, and as an area to test out abilities. There are many types of 'peaceful' nature creatures around, and there is a large variation of plant types.
---Areas:

--Old Man's House
OldMansHouse.png

The house that you find along Spring Pass is home to a nice old man that is the gardener around this area. There has been a problem that's been disturbing him recently though...
--??? Cave: Who knows what could lie inside here? (I actually haven't designed it yet, so I wouldn't know myself)

ComosVillageTrainerZone.png

The Warrior Zone of Comos Village, not only the first way in to the village from the east paths, but a great place to stock up on supplies, and talk to and compete against other trainers. This is also the location of a large bonus...
---Areas:

--Trainer Center: The ideal spot for all trainers. Advanced healing methods are available for a very low price as a service. It is also in here that you can access a large amount of information useful for trainers and those keeping up with world events. Besides that, it is here were warriors rest and talk.
--Market: An area of trade where merchants sell their useful goods to warriors. Never know what kind of rare treasure a merchant might have, so its good to check up on this place every now and then.
--Creature Dojo: When an old master warrior (a veteran from a recent warrior) settled down in Comos, the whole village benefited. Now he trains youngsters and adults alike, how to use creatures, and lessons of survival in the outdoors. Maybe you have something to learn too?
--Miracle Fountain: It has been a traditional legend that those that donated to this fountain were blessed with fortune. Will you give it a try?

ComosMain-Village.png

The nice and beautiful standard living space of Comos Village (and definitely not the only one, I want to make Comos huge). Wooden houses line up with the slow hill and the calm waters.
---Areas:

--Seers: The three north houses belong to three old ladies that sure know the strangest things.
--Living Space: Don't really have these designed as of now.
--Mayor's House: Home to the brilliant old mayor that often rambles on about pointless stuff.
--Blocked Path: Well who knows where this leads? (I actually know this time :D )

ComosPass.png

The pass that connects Comos Village to the dreaded yet needed Cut-A-Tree Labs (Hey, I didn't want to think of a better name. Anyways, the lumber mill planted the trees in that order for easy cutting, so that's the story for the sudden symettrical mapping.), and the Tranquility Zone. It's pretty long and is home to wild creatures.
---Areas

--Bush Maze: For some reason, someone got bored and decided to make the area a little better looking. That resulted in them making a random line of bushes leading to the guard house. Strange huh?[/u]
--Guard House: A resting place to those passing between the areas.

Well that's all for now! Enjoy!

Last edited:

Dudedude

I am the Johto Man
Years
  • Seen Aug 14, 2007
I love your game!Pls never ever stop with your game!!

Arkayne

Head of Forever Midnight
Years
I hope you aren't kidding :classic: but either way I won't stop with my game. Sure, I may take small breaks to learn some things, but this project is going to get finished. Also about the project, I think I am going to write the first chapter of the story pretty soon when I get some smarter ideas.

Last edited:

Arkayne

Head of Forever Midnight
Years
Thank you very much :D . It seems like the maps are the favorite point of just about everyone (although they are just about the only thing I've shown), I guess when I make my sprites they have to be very good and up to expecatations!

XERO

Pokemon Trainer
Years
  • Seen Feb 15, 2006
awesome, are you coming out with a demo soon?

Arkayne

Head of Forever Midnight
Years
I hope so. I'm kind of a novice on this, but I'm learning fairly quick. I could probably just find some scripts and put together a demo within the next few months, and then actually work on making a custom script myself for the real version (always better taking the hard way, you learn the most).

XERO

Pokemon Trainer
Years
  • Seen Feb 15, 2006
ya, i make games too, what are you using? it looks like rpg maker xp. right now im working on an eragon game but ya, cant wait to play

Arkayne

Head of Forever Midnight
Years
I'm currently using RMXP. While many people say Sphere is the highest with customization, I think I'm just fine learning Ruby for now :P .

XERO

Pokemon Trainer
Years
  • Seen Feb 15, 2006
ya, sphere is hard but your doing really good for a begginer (sorry that took so long, my g-ma's fish was dying and in pain so i took it outside and...well you get it)

Sorye HK

Looking around here and there
Years
  • Seen Dec 1, 2021
Looks neat! You've made a nice start and great mapping so far.

Arkayne

Head of Forever Midnight
Years
Thanks very much! I also just got my story part 1 back from a forum friend (I have the habit of not saving copies before sending huge story PMs) and should be able to post an overview, the custom Pokemon, and maybe even finish Chapter 1 sometime tommorow.

Back