• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Completed] Pokemon Pyrite

Years
  • Seen Feb 2, 2023
Hello again. I believe i've found a rather irritating bug. At least i think its a bug.

For the intro, i had a thought, maybe just put a little note on top of it saying 'press ESC to skip' or something would solve the problem.

I'm trapped in the bottom of the first gym. I can't go up the stares. When i walk on the first stairs tile nothing happens, and when i try to go to the tile next to it it makes the sound for walking into walls and i cannot find a way out. I even messed around with the editor.

Also with regards to zephyreon, couldn't you ask the spriter to remove the halo?

Also also, i know this post is getting long, but the card game could really use a tutorial. Unless i missed the tutorial somehow, then please disregard this also. I ended up winning my first match and then losing the next two, and i still have almost no idea what i'm doing.

thepsynergist

A Gym Leader, Kyushu Region
Years
No way in hell. And if I see you use them in your game, I'm reporting you. While I appreciate that you asked nicely for them, I still don't want them available to the public.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Sep 5, 2015
(ewwwops necro, sorry Dx)
I should say, just a suggestion, do not make Unhappy Evolving Pokémon. It's useless. Pokémons are meant to fight and to stay with you, naturally growing happyness. If you require to make your Eevee damn unhappy so it can evolve... You will need to make a special berry for decreasing happyness or... idk, but it's pretty hard to get a Pkmn to be unhappy, better to make a new stone or whatever, seriously.

thepsynergist

Years
(ewwwops necro, sorry Dx)
I should say, just a suggestion, do not make Unhappy Evolving Pokémon. It's useless. Pokémons are meant to fight and to stay with you, naturally growing happyness. If you require to make your Eevee damn unhappy so it can evolve... You will need to make a special berry for decreasing happyness or... idk, but it's pretty hard to get a Pkmn to be unhappy, better to make a new stone or whatever, seriously.

While I appreciate the new ideas, I want there to be an unhappiness evolution.

I haven't posted in a while and i'm sorry for that. I just wanted to let you guys know that I haven't forgotten or abandoned the project, just, 90% of my team left the project so I don't have as much time to work on it.

I have to do the maps, battles, music, story all myself, and as such, will require more time. I'm sorry. But I haven't abandoned this project, so please DON'T close this thread. I am still working on the game.

cruciFICTION

A Cruciform Kaleidoscope
Years
While I appreciate the new ideas, I want there to be an unhappiness evolution.
... I have to agree that unhappiness evolution seems extremely counter-productive to training. I mean, happiness evolution happens upon levelling, which means you need to basically repeatedly faint your pokémon to get it to the required level, and then you battle with it and hope it won't gain too many happiness points.

That's a massive flaw. It makes evolving it too hard compared to other pokémon. Not to mention that the majority of pokémon already start with an extremely low happiness level, which means you plan on changing one of the actual mechanics of the game.

thepsynergist

Years
... I have to agree that unhappiness evolution seems extremely counter-productive to training. I mean, happiness evolution happens upon levelling, which means you need to basically repeatedly faint your pokémon to get it to the required level, and then you battle with it and hope it won't gain too many happiness points.

That's a massive flaw. It makes evolving it too hard compared to other pokémon. Not to mention that the majority of pokémon already start with an extremely low happiness level, which means you plan on changing one of the actual mechanics of the game.

It's not as much of a grind as you think. I will also include a way to decrease your happiness on a pokemon, think grooming salon in gen 2. Hold items to decrease happiness, spiked dog collar. There are also the herbs. I buffed them to cut happiness more than they did before.

Also, its not like the game forces you to get that pokemon. It's more of a challenge because the pokemon you get in the end are more worth it.

cruciFICTION

A Cruciform Kaleidoscope
Years
It's not as much of a grind as you think. I will also include a way to decrease your happiness on a pokemon, think grooming salon in gen 2. Hold items to decrease happiness, spiked dog collar. There are also the herbs. I buffed them to cut happiness more than they did before.

Also, its not like the game forces you to get that pokemon. It's more of a challenge because the pokemon you get in the end are more worth it.
I refer you to this page which is extremely relevant to the discussion.
What could this mean for the animal cruelty argument? Quite a lot, as it turns out, if you follow these differences to their logical conclusion. Being obviously intelligent, Pokémon must be well aware of their situation, know if they would wish for it to be different, and are conscious of their own power. That power also means that if the Pokémon knows that it is being forced into something it does not like - such as being caught, if advocates of the animal cruelty theory are to be believed - it will have an easy time of forcing its way out of it.
Esp. the bolded.

EDIT: Oh, and in case you try the, "Then why don't they escape in the main games?" argument, then I need to remind you: in the main games, you very rarely ACTIVELY piss the pokémon off. Unhappiness is usually a side-effect of fainting or herbs. Putting a collar on your pokémon will piss it off.

DarkDoom3000

Super Pokemon Eevee Edition
Years
^Oh, really? Animal cruelty? It's just a game.

I think unhappiness could be interesting.
Pokemon is too cutesy as it is.

An oddish evolving into a bellosom when it's happy and a gloom when it's unhappy is totally concevible.

thepsynergist

Years
Thanks for agreeing with me Darkdoom. I want people to understand, its a feature of my game. I don't go into other peoples games and criticize how certain features of their games shouldn't be in it.

It is a game that I am making because I want to, and I'm not forcing anyone to play it. Besides, it was a way to get the move Frustration to be more powerful.

The only reason I chose unhappiness as an evolution factor, is because no one else has tried that yet (at least at the time I started this project). It was something new and interesting, and in no way, hinders the player from not being able to complete the game. There's no special reward for getting every pokemon in the pokedex. It's just a new way to obtain certain pokemon.

cruciFICTION

A Cruciform Kaleidoscope
Years
^Oh, really? Animal cruelty? It's just a game.

I think unhappiness could be interesting.
Pokemon is too cutesy as it is.

An oddish evolving into a bellossom when it's happy and a vileplume when it's unhappy is totally concevible.
Except that's not really how they evolve; they already have methods of evolution for those pokémon. And remember that pokémon are basically intelligent pets. Dogs are known to turn on their owners or just run away when they're unhappy. But because it's in a game, it means that it's okay to treat them badly for a long-term goal? I'm not doing the "OH, Save the Pokémon!" crap. I just think it's genuinely ridiculous.
Thanks for agreeing with me Darkdoom. I want people to understand, its a feature of my game. I don't go into other peoples games and criticize how certain features of their games shouldn't be in it.

It is a game that I am making because I want to, and I'm not forcing anyone to play it. Besides, it was a way to get the move Frustration to be more powerful.

The only reason I chose unhappiness as an evolution factor, is because no one else has tried that yet (at least at the time I started this project). It was something new and interesting, and in no way, hinders the player from not being able to complete the game. There's no special reward for getting every pokemon in the pokedex. It's just a new way to obtain certain pokemon.
No, you don't do that. Maybe you should. It helps people to realise, "Oh, wow, I need to fix this." Or, "That needs some tweaking."

Why do you game developers always fall back on, "I'm not forcing anyone to play it"? Who cares who you're forcing and who you're not? I'm trying to put across the point that purposely making an animal unhappy is stupid if you want it to stay with you.

thepsynergist

Years
Well, I don't appreciate being told to take a main feature out of my game.

And who are you to call me, "you game developer" as if you aren't one yourself. I've been working on this project for 3 years, and I don't need people like you trolling my game thread.

cruciFICTION

A Cruciform Kaleidoscope
Years

And who are you to call me, "you game developer" as if you aren't one yourself. I've been working on this project for 3 years, and I don't need people like you trolling my game thread.
I didn't tell you to take it out of your game, and I hardly think it's important enough to warrant being a "main" feature, either.

And I can refer to you as being part of the collective "you game developers" because you used the excuse that you're not forcing anyone to play it. I may be developing a game, but I'm not one of those game developers who thinks that's a relevant excuse.

I mean, why are you even posting here if you don't want people trolling discussing and critiquing your game? Do you just want your ego stroked? Are you seeking validation? If you don't want people to critique it, then don't post here. Do the work, and when it's done, release it.

Also, I think that my critique can be held to a higher dignity than "trolling". If I was trolling you, well, I think it would actually RESEMBLE trolling.

Rai Rai

Master of everything!
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2012

It's just one person trolling on your game, no biggie there's only about another 40 people or so who would play this game for the fun and not the features.

DarkDoom3000

Years
Except that's not really how they evolve; they already have methods of evolution for those pokémon.

obviously. I was using them as examples. It's easier to visualize existing pokemon.
(imagine if oddish evolution tree didn't exist)

Oddish- happy: Bellosum
Oddish- sad: Gloom

And remember that pokémon are basically intelligent pets.
Dogs are known to turn on their owners or just run away when they're unhappy. But because it's in a game, it means that it's okay to treat them badly for a long-term goal?

I guess they are intelligent pets.

thepsynergist, you should also take out battling, because we know it's just animal fighting. But because it's in a game, it means that it's okay to treat them badly for prize moneyl? I'm not doing the "OH, Save the Pokémon!" crap. I just think it's genuinely ridiculous.

Catching has to go too. Slaves with bad cases of stockholm syndrome.

One of the greatest things about fangames is being able to push boundaries that nintendo themselves won't push.

Last edited:

Peeky Chew

Master of Palettes
Years
@cruciFICTION: Although I agree that it is annoying when people say you don't have to play the game, like thepsynergist did, saying "Do you just want your ego stroked? Are you seeking validation?" totally puts you in the wrong. It's just trolling.

And even though I do agree that the Pokémon may not be happy to be purposefully made depressed, don't you think, with their intelligence, they'll be able to understand it's all for them to evolve?

cruciFICTION

A Cruciform Kaleidoscope
Years
I guess they are intelligent pets.

thepsynergist, you should also take out battling, because we know it's just animal fighting. But because it's in a game, it means that it's okay to treat them badly for prize moneyl? I'm not doing the "OH, Save the Pokémon!" crap. I just think it's genuinely ridiculous.

Catching has to go too. Slaves with bad cases of stockholm syndrome.

One of the greatest things about fangames is being able to push boundaries that nintendo themselves won't push.
First, I find it bothersome that when someone's idea is challenged, they seem incapable of discussing it civilly without turning into a smart ass.
The article I linked brings up a lot of points there. Pokémon gain happiness from battling. That shows that they clearly LIKE battling. Hell, a lot of intelligent creatures, humans amongst those, take pride in violent proficiency.

And yes, fangames should be pushing boundaries, but those boundaries should make sense. If you're pushing boundaries that way, then you should be able to expect that pokémon will get pissed off at you and run away/fight you.

thepsynergist

Years
It was just a custom evolution idea, and I think the main character being a member of team rocket would justify this idea. And no, I'm not trying to "stroke my own ego". I put up this topic so no one else would think this name was available when I purposefully chose it.

I'm just surprised it took 3 years for someone to complain about such a frivolous idea.

DarkDoom3000

Years
If you're pushing boundaries that way, then you should be able to expect that pokémon will get pissed off at you and run away/fight you.

They're unhappy. but not enough to run away. I don't like my job, but not enough to quit.

I need money, so I don't quit.
They get the comfort of having home(pokeball) and being taken to the pokecenter frequently. And apprently they enjoy fighting, so yeah. They must enjoy it enough to stay.

vola perfect excuse to have the feature.

Plus, what makes you think pokemon can actually escape/run away?
just beam them back whenever they try.

Back