• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Newbie needs help for his team :D Please be kind! (RMT)

Years
  • Seen Jun 21, 2012
NOTE: This was posted on other forums too for as much feedback as I can get but haven't had any success as no one has replied... xD Just wanted you to know that so you didn't think I copied if you saw it before. It's the same post copied and pasted over again as it would be tedious to write it all over. Anyway here it is:

Hey guys. I just joined the forums to get some feedback on a team I am making. Normally, I run a themed team as I find it much more straightforward and easy to use such as Trick Room, Weather, or other types. This is the first time I am actually attempting a standard team (any tier not just OU-- although OU pokemon are mostly used ) and I need help. I'm at a stump to what to change and what not to change. It seems sometimes the team wins with ease and accurate predictions. But sometimes when I also predict correct I still lose miserably and am unable to scratch my opponent's team. I was wondering if I could have some help. Anyway let's move on!

NOTE: Some of these are the standard sets taken off Smogon. This was my first time creating a different type of team and I didn't really know where else to look.

My team at a glance: Gastrodon, Celebi, Rotom-W, Dugtrio, Magnezone, and Latias

1) Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
Nature: Calm (+spDEF, -ATK)
EVs: 252 HP/ 252 spDEF

Earth Power
Scald
Toxic
Recover

This pokemon is basically there to cover for my water weaknesses and actually a rain team counter of some sorts. Its also my only tank that I use to cripple opposing Pokemon that give me a hard time that can't go up against Gastro, like Rotom-W. Earth Power is there as a main attacking option, Scald is also there as an attack and a chance to burn the opponent, Toxic is straightforward, and Recover is to gain back HP after some damage.

2) Celebi @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Natural Cure
Nature: Modest (+spATK, -ATK)
EVs: 252 spATK/ 252 speed

Leaf Storm
Earth Power
Hidden Power Ice
Trick

Celebi with a choice scarf is pretty uncommon from what I've heard. But I use this mainly to hit hard and strong. Leaf storm is a great move that can hit anything with tremendous power and is my main Tyranitar counter. Earth Power is there for the surprise attack on fire types when the opponent wonders why in the world I sent a grass type in against a Fire type. Its a sure hit because of Choice scarf. Hidden Power Ice is also a surprise move to hit Dragons that trouble my team that my other members wouldn't be able to handle well. Trick is to cripple walls and stallers. The EVs are there to maximize its spATK and speed. I used modest nature because I found myself short sometimes of taking down some dragons and ground types that threatened my team. Celebi also acts sometimes as my mid-game or end game sweeper.

3) Rotom-W @ Life Orb
Ability:Levitate
Nature: Modest (+spATK, -ATK)
EVs: 236 spATK/ 20spDEF/ 252 speed

Substitute
Pain Split
Hydro Pump
Thunderbolt

If you haven't figured out I am a pretty defensive player who only takes charge when I'm safe to do so. I used a defensive Rotom-W set with substitute and 20 spDEF rather than full spATK because I feel like I need it because of Rotom-W's somewhat weak bulk which I find it fainting ALOT when I need it most against fire types or other water types when Celebi is down. Its my main switch in to rain and sand threats by first setting up a sub and attempting to wreak havoc from there.

4) Dugtrio @ Item
Ability: Arena Trap
Nature: Jolly (+speed, -spATK)
EVs: 252 ATK/ 32 DEF/ 224 speed

Earthquake
Stone Edge
Sucker Punch
Substitute

Dugtrio is my main revenge killer, and fire counter. I can take out fire types with an arena trapped, earthquake, and flying types with stone edge. Arena trap prevents my opponent from switching and if the opponent is faster than me, sucker punch will damage them. The sub is there to protect Dugtrio because of its frail defenses. Although I find Dugtrio goes down very quickly. I've considered replacing it with Heatran but don't want to lose an Arena Trap advantage that can surely dent teams. The 32 DEF EVs are too allow Dugtrio to have some support in defense but it doesn't really help. I've considered moving them into attack to get a maximum powered Sucker Punch, which usually does little damage.

5) Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
Nature: Modest
EVs: 148HP/ 252 spATK/ 108 speed

Volt Switch
HP Fire
Flash Cannon
Thunderbolt

This Magnezone is my main counter to those annoying steel types. I'm looking at you Scizor, Ferrothorn, and Forretress! It OHKOs all of them unless they have a Focus sash or sturdy. The T-bolt and Flash cannon are there to deal damage to anyone that doesn't resist and Volt switch is in case I switch in and predict to switch out. Overall I don't feel like this set has any other purpose other than a dragon, ghost, and dark resist. But I still keep it around because I need it. I was tempted to replace this and Dugtrio with heatran and something else, but it never really works out because a Heatran would be an obvious counter which always forces a switch. I'm not very good at predicting the opponent's moves if you haven't guessed by now.

6) Latias @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
Nature: Timid (+speed, -ATK)
EVs: 252 HP/ 252 speed

Calm Mind
Recover
Dragon Pulse
Roar

This heavenly beast is my end-game sweeper when Scizor, Ferrothorn, and any other metal types have been taken out along with any other dragon types I can't outspeed by Celebi (although Celebi isn't as fast as I thought even with Choice Scarf so that doesn't happen as much). Latias has saved me with its bulk so many times I can't even count. When it looks like I am about to lose and Latias is my last pokemon. I'm able to get at least 2 Calm Minds up and save the match. Dragon Pulse is my main STAB move to hit the opponent, not considering Draco Meteor because of accuracy and its negative effects. Roar is to get the opponent to constantly switch out to scout what is left of the team after the rest of my team is finished with it.

I feel like my team is lacking real power as I am always LUCKY to break through the opponents offensive or defensive core. I also think I lack speed as a +2 Dragonite or Gyarados has sweeped me on MANY MANY occasions. And once again I still have trouble with weather teams, grass types, and other random pokemon that can always come by and destroy me. Thanks for taking the time to read this and hope you rate my team :D

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
It's better to put Rotom's last 20 EVs into HP rather than one of its defenses (for more balanced bulk). And it might also be a better idea to go full Special Attack so it can hit at its fullest. Rotom's Speed isn't exactly the best, so it can afford to take some out of Speed instead (to clarify, the EV spread should be 20 HP/252 SAtk/236 Spe).

Years
  • Seen Jun 21, 2012
Hmm.. Thanks I'll try that out :D And I'm assuming you think the moveset is okay?

Bumping this post up.... No one has any other type of feedback? XR

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Sep 10, 2012
Yes-- and No.

This team is nice and all, based on my glance at the movesets- and came here to tell you. One nice Espeon could ruin your team- along with other sp.def bulk pokes because your only physical coverage is Dugtrio.. I may have missed it but i didn't see a rapid spinner- or sr/spikes/tspikes. Who you take out is your preference, but please consider getting in another physical. Hitmontop? nice rapid spinner and got nice atk.. Infernape for sweeping anything not Chandelure.On preference, a tank- like Umbreon Wish+yawn+curse+payback or Vaporeon. Check smogon for sets

[Edit] Forgot, Gastro is your tank, regard umb and vap, but get Rapid spin physical. Hitmontop is good for this, in my opinion. Also, Donphan is possible for sr and rapid spin- But you have Dugtrio ground type

Last edited:

Cam Meekins

Banned
Years
If I may, I would suggest running choice specs on celebi. With the combo of choice specs celebi and magnezone, you can even beat a blissey ._. have fun!

Back