• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Wired or wireless?

Years
So are you wired or wireless when it comes to connectivity on your main device? How do your speeds compare when you're wired versus wireless?

Years
Been wired almost all my life. love the portability of wireless though, especially with headphones and speakers. i can say that there's no big difference when it comes to speed of connectivity and use

edit: oof op's talking about internet lol

been using wifi on all my devices. i last used an ethernet on my dad's laptop when the internet is slow

Last edited:
Years
I use my wifi connection for my laptop and consoles, as of right now nothing is using ethernet. This may change but for now it's nice and simple.

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
Years
For internet always prefer wired unless there is a huge, life-threatening reason for the contrary. Ethernet is just so much more stable, trustable and simple than wireless on all fronts, including driver support and performance which is highly relevant for me as I main Linux. Among other things, even when I'm only 8-10 m away from the router I get 25-30% more stability with wired than wireless and as an added boon things like downloads, Minecraft or remote access don't crap out.

Of course for my cellphone I can't do wired, though I would if it had the connector. For those cases I just stay on known wifis (ideally wifis that I have secured myself, such as my office's). And I have Wifi Privacy Police driver setup to prevent some information from going out.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 22, 2024
I am wireless but I would prefer to be wired, sometimes my WiFi really drives me nuts and I'd switch to Ethernet any day if the router everyone uses wasn't so far away from my study. :(

Years
After only being able to go wireless the past few years, I was happy to switch back to using an ethernet cable for both my laptop and my PS4, and I find my speeds are a lot quicker since I made the switch back. Obviously my phone is still wireless, and I connect to wifi if I ever decide to take my laptop in my bedroom, but I don't see myself going back to exclusively wireless any time soon.

Years
Most of everything here is still wired and it's so damn annoying there are wires everywhere and we have cats and you know what cats do?

CHEW

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
I've been wired and wireless and I can tell you that when it comes to reliability and speed, Wired wins hands down. Now if you have pets(notably cats), like mobility(aka Laptops) or just simply hate clutter that wires would yield, then the practical side of Wireless shines through but a wired set-up simply has too many benefits as I see it if none of the previously mentioned scenarios exist.

Years
Wired, though mostly out of habit than anything. Last computer I had didn't want to connect to the wireless on my router so it had to go wired, and with this computer I don't think I ever bothered to check. It was just easier to hook it up.

I don't know what the speed difference would be.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
Years
Wireless gives me nothing but problems. I prefer wired whenever possible. I'm actually having trouble with a wireless network card right now, but unfortunately I'm too far away from the router for an ethernet cord to be viable.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen yesterday
Because I use either a laptop or a tablet it's best to go with wireless, and the speeds aren't half bad. Of course wired is preferred, and with my new living conditions it's a bit more viable, but I don't have a cable long enough to reach to my coffee table as they're in use for other things and it'd be a minor tripping hazard as well.

CrimsonMajestic

From Dusk to Dawn
Years
If I can go wired I would prefer this in order to lessen the radio signals going around, thus lessening (very) acute noise.

However, I am not in a situation that would work. Thus, I am currently using wi-fi.

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
Years
Wireless gives me nothing but problems. I prefer wired whenever possible. I'm actually having trouble with a wireless network card right now, but unfortunately I'm too far away from the router for an ethernet cord to be viable.

Hmmm how far are we talking about? Any chance of setting up a network switch (or, if feasible, a wireless-to-wired repeater) somewhere in the way?

Also depending on how far is too far for your setting, and if you have control of the router, there's a setting that's probably called something like max beacon pulse that you can change to determine how much energy will the router spend to try and get the signal to "at most" your location, which should also reduce power consumption or signal degradation depending on circumstances. (Working this setting is one of the main reasons to set up a repeater in my experience)

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
Years
Hmmm how far are we talking about? Any chance of setting up a network switch (or, if feasible, a wireless-to-wired repeater) somewhere in the way?

Also depending on how far is too far for your setting, and if you have control of the router, there's a setting that's probably called something like max beacon pulse that you can change to determine how much energy will the router spend to try and get the signal to "at most" your location, which should also reduce power consumption or signal degradation depending on circumstances. (Working this setting is one of the main reasons to set up a repeater in my experience)

The problem isn't reception, the problem is the card is shorting out. It's just coincidence that it happens to be that particular card. I tend to have problems with wireless equipment all the time for whatever reason.

Years
Wired all the way for me. My home desktop PC is connected via Ethernet through a cheap home gig switch and my work PC is connected to Ethernet via a Surface dock that runs directly into our main 10gig switch at my work site.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
Wireless. I've never really cared for using a computer connected to a router. I feel happier on wireless since I can use the connection from far away rather than directly.

FlameChrome

[color=#7fffd4]IDK what to put here[/color]
Years
the router is in another room for me, and it would be a long cord to connect. Plus I dont think xfinity would allow that. But I gotta go with wireless

Back