• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Development: The 4th gen class split in 3rd gen

Years
  • Seen Jul 2, 2013
Setting a move type to ??? does the same thing (low damage). Perhaps its related?

Years
  • Seen Jul 2, 2013
If that's the case, then perhaps the low damage is the result of some sort of error checker/handler?

Well the ??? type is inbetween the physical types and special types. If you add another type, it defaults to Special. It's likely some crazy stuff in the original code that tells the game which types to make Physical that's screwing up the code.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Aug 8, 2021
Soooo... basically, nobody has any idea why this is happening. Sigh. So much for doing a Nuzlocke screenshot run of a DPSS Emerald...
Yeah, there is a weird glitch with Darthathon's patch. I can't explain it honestly. The split works properly for what I believe are moves with no effect? But any moves that DO have an effect and are physical all do utterly low damage. I can't say for sure since I've gotten moves with no effect still doing no damage. This only bothers physical moves; special moves work just fine. I didn't encounter this in my initial testing, weirdly enough.

ROMs are just very confusing to me now.
Pound doesn't work either, so it's all physical moves.

Years
  • Seen Mar 27, 2014
Hang on. Could someone summarize what progress has been made with this? As best I can tell, there is a patch that implements the DPSS in Firered, and another that does it in Emerald, but that both are bugged. What exactly are the bugs in each of them? (Basically, is either in a usable condition to be plugged into a hack?)

Agastya

Grinding failed. Item Grind level dropped by 3.
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Mar 19, 2023
Hang on. Could someone summarize what progress has been made with this? As best I can tell, there is a patch that implements the DPSS in Firered, and another that does it in Emerald, but that both are bugged. What exactly are the bugs in each of them? (Basically, is either in a usable condition to be plugged into a hack?)

The Fire Red one handles Special and Physical correctly, but if a Fire attack hits Flash Fire or an Electric attack hits Volt Absorb, the game crashes. I'm not sure about Water Absorb.

The Emerald one handles Special correctly, but Physical attacks don't work correctly and will all do 1~2 damage as if they were ???-type attacks. I think it doesn't have the Flash Fire issue.

FR is usable if you can avoid the ability clashes, and Emerald kind of.. isn't.

Darthatron

巨大なトロール。
Years
Sorry for the delay. This appears to fix the problem with my Emerald patch.

Code:
[S-HIGHLIGHT]0804674E: 80 78[/S-HIGHLIGHT]
080695E8: 80 7A
08069A5A: 00 29
08069A5C: 00 D0
[S-HIGHLIGHT]08069BC4: 02 2F
08069BC6: 00 DB[/S-HIGHLIGHT]
08069BCC: 01 28
08069BCE: 00 D0

Changes are [S-HIGHLIGHT]highlighted[/S-HIGHLIGHT].

Post here if something is still wrong. (Once again I didn't test it very much.)

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
Just came across something slightly disturbing. There's a second check in the code in FR after the known one, in the "special" part of the code, which is the cause of some of the bugs with the "cut down" versions of the code we have developed.

The bug was caused by the first check being correct for the new version, but the second being incorrect. This was why we were seeing 2 HP damage attacks in FR. This may also be the case in Emerald, though I haven't checked.

For the record, I changed it to branch off specifically for type 0x9 (???) but to execute normally for anything else. This fixed the bug immediately.

Years
  • Seen Jan 23, 2015
Sorry for the delay. This appears to fix the problem with my Emerald patch.

Code:
[S-HIGHLIGHT]0804674E: 80 78[/S-HIGHLIGHT]
080695E8: 80 7A
08069A5A: 00 29
08069A5C: 00 D0
[S-HIGHLIGHT]08069BC4: 02 2F
08069BC6: 00 DB[/S-HIGHLIGHT]
08069BCC: 01 28
08069BCE: 00 D0

Changes are [S-HIGHLIGHT]highlighted[/S-HIGHLIGHT].

Post here if something is still wrong. (Once again I didn't test it very much.)

Thank you very much. Will you update Attack Editor Pro so that now it includes the physical/special split? I'm looking forward to it!!

Years
  • Seen Jan 23, 2015
That doesn't make a difference.

I tested it and it doesn't work.

I changed Scratch to special, and Torchic does the same damage as if it were a physical move (after having edited torchic to have a 200 sp. attack base and a different ability).

I'm using emerald BTW.

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023

I changed Scratch to special, and Torchic does the same damage as if it were a physical move (after having edited torchic to have a 200 sp. attack base and a different ability).

I'm using emerald BTW.
That's because I'm assuming you haven't put in Darthatron's changes. Both the new code and the old code have the attacks read in the same format, hence why PGE works with both.

(ps I tested it on Ruby and it works, even with PGE. I figured out how to do it on Ruby by finding similar data to the offsets Darthatron posted, I made a thread in the Sideshowcase but it hasn't been approved yet, so PM me if you want my patch or think I'm lying or something)

Gamer2020

Accept no Imitations!
Years

I'm using emerald BTW.
Well then you've done something wrong obviously since other people have gotten it to work.

Agastya

Grinding failed. Item Grind level dropped by 3.
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Mar 19, 2023
Darthatron's patch for Emerald works excellently, but there's a.. small, I guess, bug with Counter and Mirror Coat in it.

Counter won't reflect physical attacks if they're using a type that was formerly special, and Mirror Coat won't reflect special attacks if they're using a type that was formerly physical.

In the same vein if a special attack with a formerly physical type hits Counter, then it'll reflect it, and same with Mirror Coat/physicals with formerly special types.

Considering that Counter/Mirror Coat don't get used that often in the course of normal gameplay, it can be somewhat hard to notice, and probably only really a huge deal if you like using those moves often yourself.

I don't know if this happened with the JP versions of DPSS patches, because I saw Counter a grand total of zero times, so..

Back