• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon Throwback v211001: Kanto, Your Way

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
The hack is completely fulfilling it's job then! :D
I've now been through every gym, going for E4 atm. I got the second fossil pokemon and the bulbasaur too!
I'm wondering, the extras in the first post (bug catcher, route 10 pokecenter, ...) - you state them as significant in game. How so? In most of them I can't even identify the differences. Are they side-quests too in some way? What do you mean by significant?
You're probably putting a bit too much thought into those. The images in the "Extras" spoiler tag are meant to showcase a few of the extra features as seen in the patch description. For example, notice how the player is facing that bug catcher before battling him in Viridian Forest. Seems correct, right?

Well, that's how it should be. Those images should all feel either "right" or "convenient" in some sort of way. Your mention of the Route 10 image fulfills the latter duty. That particular pic is meant to show off the one-cut trees in the game. Note how all the trees are gone when the player flies back to Route 10 (presumably after cutting them previously). Trust me, these subtle differences can add up. :)

Southueki

Writer
Years
  • Seen Dec 29, 2014
You're probably putting a bit too much thought into those. The images in the "Extras" spoiler tag are meant to showcase a few of the extra features as seen in the patch description. For example, notice how the player is facing that bug catcher before battling him in Viridian Forest. Seems correct, right?

Well, that's how it should be. Those images should all feel either "right" or "convenient" in some sort of way. Your mention of the Route 10 image fulfills the latter duty. That particular pic is meant to show off the one-cut trees in the game. Note how all the trees are gone when the player flies back to Route 10 (presumably after cutting them previously). Trust me, these subtle differences can add up. :)

Oh I see it now! That makes sense :D
I was probably enjoying the side-quests so much I was inconsciously hoping and searching for more ahah

Love the hack tho, congratulations! Fire red should have been made this way, kudos

dkp

Years
  • Seen Mar 15, 2016
I found a very minor typo; Nidorina is misspelled as Nidorana, with an extra a. Trivial to correct, however, with any rom-level pokemon editor or even a hex editor (change C8 DD D8 E3 E6 E2 D5 E2 to C8 DD D8 E3 E6 DD D5 E2 ).

Something else might be to search "S " (CD 00) and its variants in a hex editor, especially one like Goldfinger, to correct the remaining itemS like errors. It seems they follow certain variables, so in the code the message might be something like "You received n POINTERS" and the game is simply reusing the same message over and over as a space-saving, work-saving technique.

This was very nice to play through; I really think you have a wonderful design philosophy. Great work on the audio, not too many seem up to the task of sound hacking.Thanks.

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
Hey again everyone! I'm here with a progress update. Or lack thereof, in this case. Since my last release I really haven't done much hacking to advance Throwback; real life has been getting in the way, especially at the present moment. It also doesn't help that my hacking computer is currently in for repairs...

Regardless, I intend to return to this in the near future. I've got a friend who might be interested in learning how to get into scripting. If I do end up helping him out, I feel my desire to come back to this will only grow!

I have a couple ideas as to what I want to do next, but they might be a bit expansive and require quite a deal of time commitment to finish. Rest assured, though, that whatever that next big step is, with it will come quality and pseudo-authenticity. I hope everyone who's tried the hack out so far has had fun!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I found a very minor typo; Nidorina is misspelled as Nidorana, with an extra a. Trivial to correct, however, with any rom-level pokemon editor or even a hex editor (change C8 DD D8 E3 E6 E2 D5 E2 to C8 DD D8 E3 E6 DD D5 E2 ).

Something else might be to search "S " (CD 00) and its variants in a hex editor, especially one like Goldfinger, to correct the remaining itemS like errors. It seems they follow certain variables, so in the code the message might be something like "You received n POINTERS" and the game is simply reusing the same message over and over as a space-saving, work-saving technique.

This was very nice to play through; I really think you have a wonderful design philosophy. Great work on the audio, not too many seem up to the task of sound hacking.Thanks.
Thanks for the report! I was bound to miss a few things...but "Nidorana?" Wow, I feel like I've committed a crime against all things sacred in Pokémon. Also, I did crush as many of the "ItemS" instances as I could find. There's a chance that events involving multiples of the same item received at once have it hardcoded into the game. If other decapped hacks have that right, I'll check again. When I get back to the hack, this will be top priority.

Last edited:

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
I just got my laptop back! I figured that it wouldn't be worth it to have the thread fully brought back from the dead if I didn't have anything to show, so here is a little treat for everyone.

First, a bug update. I've crushed a few annoying ones that I could get out of the way given my time constraints. Download it in the OP!

Changelog:
Spoiler:
------------------------------------------------------------

But, more importantly, a glimpse into the possible future:

001bulbasaury.png
004charmanders.png
007squirtlel.png
That's right, I started recoloring the GSC Pokémon sprites! I've chosen to start with Bulbasaur (Silver), Charmander (Crystal), and Squirtle (Gold/Crystal) for obvious reasons. But I only have these three guys done as of now. If I get around to completing the entire set for at least the Kanto Pokémon, I'll include them in a new patch option.

Some things you may notice:
  1. Yes, I'm foregoing my own interpretation of the 1st Gen sprites. As captnotatroll's work should prove, they don't exactly translate into modern day well. Even if they were given the most perfect of makeovers, they would still stick out like a sore thumb. And yes, I'm aware that the Yellow sprites are much better than those. I find they still don't have quite the draw quality that the later games exhibit.
  2. The upgraded sprites have a few changes made to their design to accomodate for more color options, particularly with eyes and shading.
  3. The shading style is taken from Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald, as they are the last games in the series to fully embrace the original sprite style. Later games go for an immediate cartoon look, foregoing gradient shades for singular tones.
Also, the palettes are the ones from R/S/E. This is because they match the original artwork better and make it easier to port the R/S/E backsprites, which I intend to do as well. If you guys generally prefer the FR/LG palettes more, I'll change the colors back. Or just include options for both of them!

Any thoughts you have on the sprites? Perhaps opinions of your own conflicting with mine? I'm all ears!

Last edited:

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
ummm bro,,,can i use ur ow ?? :D
I don't see why not! Just make sure that you give me credit for them.

Be aware that I had to slightly alter the OW palette to fit in a new black over a blue.

My apologies for the late reply, real life can take people away from projects such as this. Out of curiosity, does anyone really care about adding those retro Kanto Pokémon sprites? I'm starting to find the effort to be a bit wasteful and fruitless.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
I've been playing through this. Almost done. Currently prepping for the Round 2 Elite Four battle. Overall, big thumbs up. It feels very professional. The new events feel like they're supposed to be there or that they were always there. The location placement for Pokemon feels correct. The GB Player adds a terrific level of nostalgia. This is now my preferred version of playing this game - be it Gen I or Gen III. This hack is definitive.

With that said, I do have a few questions and suggestions.

1) Where is the map mentioned in the first post for Pokemon that evolve through trade? I haven't been able to locate it. To compensate... I cheated a bit and used a save editor and pretended to execute in-game trades where appropriate based on the Yellow and Japanese Blue versions. If that map isn't there, maybe you can add these trades into the game itself instead?
From Yellow: Ricky the Machoke/Machamp on Route 5
From Japanese Blue: Spectre the Haunter/Gengar in Cerulean City, and Terra the Graveler/Golem on Cinnabar Island
Still lacking an Alakazam though...

2) A couple of times I encountered broken items. Once a ???? in my bag, and once in my PC. Also "?35" Antidotes in my PC. Not sure though if this was related to the hack itself, or more the save editing mentioned above to get those traded Pokemon.

3) Responding to the Mew and Celebi poll above... maybe Mew would fit in Celadon Mansion? If the events from other games can't be added.

4) Probably too much effort to accomplish something so petty, but any chance of having the GB Player be in stereo for the Kanto music? It is for the Johto music, which is good. And Yellow had three different stereo modes that you could use for inspiration (my preferences is Stereo1)

5) Is there an event for the other Hitmon you don't select that I haven't uncovered yet? Or do we just evolve a Tyrogue?

6) I encountered a Raikou on the map in Altering Cave. It just roared. The screen flashed black and then it was gone from the map. No battle. Is that correct?

Overall though, this was really well done and impressive.

Last edited:

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
Where can I download this at I want to play this please help
The download link is the first line under the bolded and underlined word "Download":

"Try out the hack and its assorted options right now!"

The website seems to like making the hyperlink text the same color as everything else, so I might change it to something a bit more obvious.

I've been playing through this. Almost done. Currently prepping for the Round 2 Elite Four battle. Overall, big thumbs up. It feels very professional. The new events feel like they're supposed to be there or that they were always there. The location placement for Pokemon feels correct. The GB Player adds a terrific level of nostalgia. This is now my preferred version of playing this game - be it Gen I or Gen III. This hack is definitive.

With that said, I do have a few questions and suggestions.

1) Where is the map mentioned in the first post for Pokemon that evolve through trade? I haven't been able to locate it. To compensate... I cheated a bit and used a save editor and pretended to execute in-game trades where appropriate based on the Yellow and Japanese Blue versions. If that map isn't there, maybe you can add these trades into the game itself instead?
From Yellow: Ricky the Machoke/Machamp on Route 5
From Japanese Blue: Spectre the Haunter/Gengar in Cerulean City, and Terra the Graveler/Golem on Cinnabar Island
Still lacking an Alakazam though...
Oh boy...it's been so long I've forgotten about this. The final evolutions are currently catchable on a single map in the game (or evolvable through trade). From looking at their indicated areas in the Pokédex, these are where they are:

Spoiler:

Note that the rarity of these Pokémon is high, so you'll need to search a bit. That, or just fast-forward in your emulator! Otherwise, they're still evolvable through trade.

I didn't want to break canon with the official Pokémon games, so they all still evolve the same way. I always intended to add a method that simulated the post-trading process into the game, but I'm pretty sure I don't have the know-how to do that right now.

2) A couple of times I encountered broken items. Once a ???? in my bag, and once in my PC. Also "?35" Antidotes in my PC. Not sure though if this was related to the hack itself, or more the save editing mentioned above to get those traded Pokemon.
Could you tell me when and where these occurrences happen? To be honest, I haven't "properly" tested the entire game for bugs like these (that would take weeks on end to do considering every possible thing you can do in the game).

What you're describing does sound like what happened one time when I used an Action Replay to edit my save game. I'm not saying it was your save editing, but...

627067.jpg

Or not. If so, that's more on me for not including a locations list before.

3) Responding to the Mew and Celebi poll above... maybe Mew would fit in Celadon Mansion? If the events from other games can't be added.
I still intend to put Faraway Island into the game for Mew. Depending on how determined/creative I feel, I might resort to that Pokédex check in Celadon Mansion for Celebi. If not, I actually wanted to try something a bit more ambitious.

4) Probably too much effort to accomplish something so petty, but any chance of having the GB Player be in stereo for the Kanto music? It is for the Johto music, which is good. And Yellow had three different stereo modes that you could use for inspiration (my preferences is Stereo1)
I wasn't aware that Yellow had stereo sound! The entire time I was basing things off of Red and neglected to check that game's deeper features out. I'll take a look at the different stereo options in Yellow and see which is best overall.

EDIT: Upon checking myself, it seems that "Earphone1" is indeed the best of the three options. Good ears!

And no, adding stereo sound is certainly not petty! It's a huge leap from what's already there, so it's entirely welcome in the hack.

5) Is there an event for the other Hitmon you don't select that I haven't uncovered yet? Or do we just evolve a Tyrogue?
Evolve a Tyrogue. You can always try to control what it'll evolve into with EV training!

6) I encountered a Raikou on the map in Altering Cave. It just roared. The screen flashed black and then it was gone from the map. No battle. Is that correct?

Overall though, this was really well done and impressive.
Raikou, along with the other two legendary beasts, disappear to another location within the Sevii Isles. The locations are a bit obvious, so it shouldn't take too long to locate each one. Once you interact with them in the new area, you'll be able to battle them.

Last edited:

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
Oh boy...it's been so long I've forgotten about this. The final evolutions are currently catchable on a single map in the game (or evolvable through trade). From looking at their indicated areas in the Pokédex, these are where they are:

Spoiler:

Note that the rarity of these Pokémon is high, so you'll need to search a bit. That, or just fast-forward in your emulator! Otherwise, they're still evolvable through trade.

I didn't want to break canon with the official Pokémon games, so they all still evolve the same way. I always intended to add a method that simulated the post-trading process into the game, but I'm pretty sure I don't have the know-how to do that right now.
I encountered some of those Johto ones, but I never made the connection that that's what the first post was referring too. lol I thought it meant there was a new area somewhere just with the trade evolutions. Good to know. Thanks.

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
Thank you I already like the gb player man its so awesome
If you haven't gotten too far yet, you may want to hold off for just a second!

VERSION v3.3.3 NOW LIVE!

As it turns out, adding stereo support to the 8-Bit tracks the way Pokémon Yellow does it is a trivial process. And I had just enough free space after each track to get by! That plus a couple of new additions brought about by the community are featured here. Huge thanks to those responsible!

Changelog:
Spoiler:

One last thanks to everyone who's checked out my hack! I'm happy to provide something that is bringing joy to others. :)

Gigabyyyte

Exploring the world of Kalos!
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 2, 2013
Hi there, RichterSnipes! I was just wondering; since you said, um, this:

Heck, if anyone wants to further polish the game into the flawless gem it deserves to be or use some form of it as a base for FireRed extensions, that's OK by me, too!

I was just wondering if I could use your GB Player and Extras patch for my own hack, also an attempt of a FireRed re-remake (whaaat) sort of thing. Would it be alright? :( :)

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
Hi there, RichterSnipes! I was just wondering; since you said, um, this:

*OP excerpt*

I was just wondering if I could use your GB Player and Extras patch for my own hack, also an attempt of a FireRed re-remake (whaaat) sort of thing. Would it be alright? :( :)
Sure, go ahead! As long as you give proper credit, I don't object to whatever you may wish to do with any part of my hack.

Back