• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Best HM move

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
Waterfall and Surf are the best HM moves, depending if one of your non-Water type Pokemon can learn/use one of those two moves. Fly only gives your opponent an advantage to switch out a Pokemon who resist Flying moves, and Strength is outclassed by Body Slam.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
I like Rock Climb, it's power is pretty good, plus it has a chance of confusing the enemy which is always a good addition :)

Mononoke Hime

viva emptiness
Years
I think Surf/Waterfall are one of the bests water type damage dealing moves.
Also, I like Fly, I love to teach it to some pokemon in my party and fly through the world.

Years
  • Seen Jul 16, 2014
I only let my team learn Surf and Fly because they are good moves.Sometimes i might teach them Strength but it really depends on the pokemon.

Cid

Years
Surf all the way. Both outside of battle and inside of battle. It's my favorite HM because it's always been the most-used throughout the main series, and it packs a punch, too. Sailing the seas might have been a chore, but without Surf, you wouldn't even be able to finish the game! Not that other HMs aren't mandatory (Fly notwithstanding).

If HMs and Pokémon were real, though, I'd like Fly way more, especially if I had more control over it. Competitively, I'd also pick Waterfall over Surf, just because I use physically oriented Water-types more often.

Ammako

I hate you. You know who you are.
Years
  • Seen Feb 1, 2018
Surf, Waterfall and Strength are my definitive choices.

I would usually try to teach every TMs to my in-game team due to requiring them to get around, but in B/W/B2/W2, I end up teaching these three HMs to my in-game team anyway even though you only need Surf to complete the game.

The Grubby Pup

Where's mah shiny squeaky ball
Years
Well, I personally think the HM moves are kinda annoying, cuz they can't be deleted without seeking a move deleter.

The HM moves I actually let mah Pokemon keep are the ones that are used to easily navigate around the cites and stuff. And those are Fly and Surf.

Occasionally I'll give a pokemon and let them keep Waterfall, but other than that. I don't really teach mah pokes HM moves.

Last edited:

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
Surf is convenient for travel and is a pretty good attack in battle.

Fly is very convenient for traveling, but only a fair to decent move in battle. Still, I end up keeping it on my Pokemon for the convenience factor.

Strength is a decent attack, though totally outclassed by Return.

The rest of the HMs aren't even worth mentioning. They're the reason that Move Deleters are lifesavers for me.

Praisedscooter

Gym Leader wannabe
Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2012
Surf and Strength. Surf is everyone's go to, but Strength is a normal type base 80 attack move, not really much to scoff at there.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
My top three would have to be Surf, Waterfall, and Fly. I hate how Fly is a two-turn move, but it's perhaps the most useful outside of battle.​

Years
  • Seen Mar 24, 2021
I like Surf the most, because it's actually very useful in battles

Years
Honestly, I'm glad that they made Surf hit your partner - it's just that it's a little annoying to veterans of the series who forget about that adverse effect. It does, though, prevent the move from being OP'd.

My vote goes to Waterfall; Fly and Strength vie for runner-up on my list.

Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2020
Waterfall and Surf, depending on whether the pokemon who's going to get it has better physical or special attack.

I can tolerate Strength, and used to use it a fair amount on Normals before the 5th gen, since TMs weren't reusable. With Reusable TMs though, anyone who might've gotten Strength gets Return instead and Strength just goes on a slave. Rock Smash can be useful occasionally, since it's the only Fighting move that a lot of non-Fighters can get, but it just doesn't do enough damage, and they're generally better off with neutral STAB over even a super-effective, off-type base 40 move. I've never liked Fly, so it's always gone on a slave. Even though the AI won't take the opportunity to switch out, it's still two turns of passive damage, paralysis checks and accuracy checks just to get off one turn of damage.

Back