• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon GO Buddy System update rolls out

Years
  • Age 40
  • Seen Oct 5, 2017
Rooting and jailbreaking also gives you a couple of other freedoms that some people need.

Like testing and debugging an app that does not exist in any of the official places like the google play store, because it only exists on your laptop, because you just wrote it.

Or like replacing the operating system with a different one, which could be just a newer version of the same operating system, which no longer supports your phone, not because the hardware is too weak, just to force you to buy a new smartphone if you want certain new apps.

Or if you want to play flappy bird, which got removed from all the official app stores, and you do not want to buy an old phone that still has it installed on ebay.

If you rooted your phone and completely destroyed and removed the original operating system to install a different operating system, it cannot be undone.

They will lose players who never hacked or cheated in pokemon go if they are too strict about this. It would also hit a lot of android or ios developers who not only may have no use for a smartphone that is not rooted, but who are also opinion leaders and experts in the area of apps or software for smartphones.

For some people, rooting a phone is a necessary step in order to truly own the hardware they purchased, opting out of the hardware + OS bundle that others are stuck with. Some big brands that produce smartphones explicitly allow and support this, these phones come with a built-in function that allows you to easily root them.

Adore

Party.
Years
I'm quite excited to start using this feature. It will be much easier to evolve my starter (which never spawns here) now. :)

It's a shame they had to ban jailbreaking and rooting entirely. Botting and spoofing clearly forced their hands here though.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Sep 12, 2016
I cant wait for this update to come, already had in mind what my buddy will be. I bet Asia will receive it last though..

Years
No update for me yet boo. ;( I'm really really excited for this, especially since I'm halfway to hatching the first 10km egg I've gotten in over a month. Doing that with the buddy system would be super motivating.

Years
  • Age 20
  • Seen Jul 19, 2021
Wait is it out in the US yet? I'd check but my phone lacks its battery (which my father knows where it is, so...)

bobandbill

one more time
Years
They will lose players who never hacked or cheated in pokemon go if they are too strict about this. It would also hit a lot of android or ios developers who not only may have no use for a smartphone that is not rooted, but who are also opinion leaders and experts in the area of apps or software for smartphones.

For some people, rooting a phone is a necessary step in order to truly own the hardware they purchased, opting out of the hardware + OS bundle that others are stuck with. Some big brands that produce smartphones explicitly allow and support this, these phones come with a built-in function that allows you to easily root them.
They're also going to lose me! My phone isn't rooted, but it was bought online from overseas, and has a custom ROM. Having checked, it can't pass the google safetynet check. So while I don't cheat at GO and my phone is not rooted, when the update is forced on everyone I won't be able to play anymore! Not without finding a new rom for my phone's make/model and 'reflashing the phone' (which my knowledgable friend described as a painful process), or getting a new phone (lolnope). Great. -_-

Years
I'm still waiting for this update myself, but it should be pretty exciting and fun. I caught lots of Pokemon when I went to Hawaii over the summer that can't be caught where I live, so I think I'll choose some of those Pokemon to walk with.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Nov 5, 2016
ive walked about 30km since people started getting the update, thats 10 Charmander candy that i need for my Charizard :(

Years
  • Age 45
  • Seen Feb 7, 2017
just weird to see that my co-worker got the update yesterday and the rest of us have not. i need those growlithe and charmanders candies!!

off topis: my coworkers and i started playing because we had 2 pokestops (all reachable from our desks) within the office building. a few weeks ago, the stops were gone but we were addicted and still play. 5 of us are all at level 28 haha.

Years
Yeah... Still nothing for me. Luckily I'm in no rush but it'd be greaaaaat to have this soon because I'm still anxious to try it lol. GO would be more fun with my cuties following me around.

Back