• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Daily Chit-Chat: What even is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
iPhone is basically a glorified cash grab because they haven?t done anything revolutionary since Jobs died. He may have not been the technical genius that Wozniak was but he was an excellent marketer and foreseeing future trends(aka iPod and iTunes taking over the music scene for example).

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen yesterday
Ew, Iphone.
Couldn't agree more. I find anything Apple waaay overpriced and very much not worth the money.
iPhone is basically a glorified cash grab because they haven?t done anything revolutionary since Jobs died. He may have not been the technical genius that Wozniak was but he was an excellent marketer and foreseeing future trends(aka iPod and iTunes taking over the music scene for example).
It really is, you're just paying for the name. Half of the new "features" that the new iPhones came with Android has had for years already. Yet Apple fans gobble it up every single time without fail.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
Couldn't agree more. I find anything Apple waaay overpriced and very much not worth the money.

It really is, you're just paying for the name. Half of the new "features" that the new iPhones came with Android has had for years already. Yet Apple fans gobble it up every single time without fail.

When my LG stopped working, I stupidly decided on an iPhone and that single afternoon and night I had it, was one of the most infuriating bouts I've ever had with technology. I returned it immediately the next day and got an HTC10 instead. Been happy ever sense.

Years
Anyone know a laptop my sister could buy? She has $740 and she wants a general purpose laptop that can do light gaming (Sims 3 or 4 idk)

Years
What I'm mostly concerned about is the rest of the smartphone industry trying to emulate Apple in order to be "cool". Case in point: the notch. Almost every OEM bar Samsung (who have not caved to this... yet) decided this was the cool and hip thing to do and since the popular iPhone X had it, surely it must work for every phone out there!

... Except it's really irritating. I'd rather OEMs just try to be original instead of following in Apple's footsteps just for attention's sake. This just leaves me worried about the future of the smartphone industry if everyone's going to copy every move that Apple makes. Do your own thing, don't do what Apple does every freaking time. It's really agitating.

That said, I'm not sure I even like the XS series. This isn't really a dig just to be a dig at Apple, but I'm genuinely confused as to what the benefit is over the original X. $1K is pretty excessive for a phone in my eyes; if you're not going to be using it for any more than calling and texting and general everyday use, surely you can go cheaper? I just don't see the point.

But I'm starting to care less and less about that as the years go by. People will pay for branding, no matter the cost or advantages/disadvantges. If that's something that's important to you, then each to their own in the end.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
if youre only gonna text and call theres no reason to get any iphone
maybe an SE if you really want apple

I use my iPhone 8 Plus for pretty much everything.

Years
was gonna post pics but i'd need to borrow mom's phone for a bit, lol....so eventually! my one issue is that the XS is noticeably heavier than my 7 (6.14 oz vs 4.87) so it's quite bulky with an already thick case, but ah wells. still lovely. *^*

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
Anyone know a laptop my sister could buy? She has $740 and she wants a general purpose laptop that can do light gaming (Sims 3 or 4 idk)

I found a stunning Alienware laptop that retails for around 1000+ for around 600-700 on eBay I almost bought myself, but convinced myself not to. She could do even heavy gaming on it, she's got the cash and that is a deal.

If that's too much, I recently bought another gaming laptop that is pretty solid as a general use computer, but wasn't strong enough to handle my own games. But something like the Sims could be a wholly different story. All for 340.

Both on eBay.

Years
My 9 year old AMD graphics card was giving me an error saying there are no drivers when there were drivers installed the last time I used it (2 days ago)
Does this mean it's dying or something?
Quite possibly. Have you done a clean install of the drivers to make sure that it's not a corrupt driver?

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
I've been playing around with some local html files and it turns out that while you can set your firefox startpage to a local html file, you can't actually do the same with new tabs, which sucks. In order to get it to work I'd need to set up a local server and give it access to that page. Not sure if I want that, though...
Yeah I installed the newest version of the drivers
Are the drivers still compatible with your card?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back