• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

local urban legends

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Apr 17, 2024
does your town/'area of residence' have any urban legends/stories/etc?

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
Years
There's this "Lost Dutchman's treasure" in the Superstition Mountains where I live. People have tried to search for it, but they have to no avail.

Spoiler:

Years
Uh.. we have the story of Lady Godiva.
Basically she was an 11th century noblewoman married to Leofric who was the lord of Coventry. Leofric placed high taxes on the people in coventry. Lady godiva asked Leofric numerous times to lower the crippling taxes but Leofric said that he only lower the taxes if she rode naked on horseback
Determined to help the public she rode through the market square naked but only her long flowing hair covering her. But before she left she ordered the people to stay inside their homes and shut their windows but one man called tom. Or more famously known as " peeping tom" couldnt resist getting an eye full of that bod. But upon doing that he was struct blind. Afterwards Godiva confronted Leofric and suprisngly he held up his end of the bargain.

We have a monument of Lady Godiva in the middle of our town Centre. There are several interpretations of Lady Godiva through paintings.

Sirfetch’d

I don't know the full story but apparently a long time ago, I assume well over 100 years, a man was hanged under a local bridge and there was a hole under his feet. Rumor has it if you place anything in that hole, which is still there today, it will disappear overnight. No idea what sparked this legend but it's quite interesting.

Years
There was the "phantom jaywalker". At night some of the crosswalks at certain intersections would turn on as if someone had pressed the crosswalk button. Didn't happen all the time so it wasn't a setting built in or anything like that, and it only happened at night.

There was also "the tickler", someone who would break into people's homes and tickle their feet while they slept. That one sadly wasn't a legend but and actual person, but people talked about it like it was some unreal thing.

Edit: Totally forgot about one. There's a spot by the river which is said to be haunted and which has (supposedly) been the scene of numerous fires and an explosion over the last 150 years. Supposedly lots of people have been killed and even some children crushed to death. They say the place is one of those cliche burial ground places that's haunted and that everyone who buys the land and tries to use it has their efforts destroyed. There was even a real fire there a while back which I think got this place more news.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jan 1, 2023
i actually live in a highly active paranormal area. there's a bit written on it. everything from ufos, to giant prehistoric birds, ghosts, and bigfoot. the area is supposedly cursed by native americans.

i love anything paranormal so one summer my friend and I looked up all the local haunted places and visited as many as we could. one of them was this giant rock (basically a large rocky hill) off a road, not that far into the forest. it's the site of where a war between the native americans and settlers here officially ended. they said if you went around that area at night you could hear native americans yelling to each other or the sound of drums beating. so one night we went there and we sat at the top of the hill. after not long at all we heard the rhythmic beating of a drum. it wasn't scary at all though, i was very intrigued to stay and see if we could figure out if it really was drums from the dead or something that could be explained, but my friend got scared and made us leave

pastelspectre

Memento Mori★
Years
i don't know a lot about it, but apparently one of the halls in my college where I live is haunted? I don't know much more about it than that, but when my mom had a class in that hall once, she did suspect slight paranormal activity.

Years
  • Age 27
  • OH
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024
My dorm is supposed to be haunted... I've never believed it, but my roommate swore he saw his stuff get moved by something.

Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2017
My town has an old urban legend that during the first world war a bunch of American soldiers came over and let a Puma loose. A lot of people have claimed to have seen a Puma or something similar to one in the surrounding areas. Although these sightings have gotten rarer in the last few years.

Electricbluewolf

Bᴇ pıɟɟǝɹǝuʇ
Years
It's not exactly a myth, and it really embarrassing, but our town used to have a guy dressed as a ninja to "fight crime". Russell Howard took the piss out of it in his comedy show, the Yeovil Ninja is fairly reclusive now :(

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Apr 17, 2024
i hate telling this story. i hate new zealand stereotypes.

in my town there's, of course, the legend of the goatman: the offspring of a farmer having sexual relations with one of his goats. and, of course, the farmer took pity on the goatman and didn't kill him. i think he raised him for a few months or something. but after an undetermined period of time, the goatman killed the farmer and has been roaming the deep countryside ever since, fearful of humans and animals alike, but feeding on them nonetheless. he also... i hate this part of the story the most. he also wears a singlet.

i really hate this town

Years
Well, Leicester got its name from a pseudohistorian from the Middle Ages who posited that the King Leir (the same one Shakespeare based King Lear off of) had his body thrown into the River Soar. That then changed over time to mean King Richard III, whose body was then found in a car park a few miles down the road instead.

We also have an obligatory haunted Victorian manor: http://www.bbc.co.uk/leicester/cont...haunted_leicester_belgrave_hall_feature.shtml

Miss Wendighost

Satan's Little Princess
Years
Us Yinzers has a lot of urban legends, but I will name a few.

- Failed attempt on Frick's life

-The Yabolinski House (Brutal murders in the late 1930s and 1960s)

- The Demon House of Bellevue

- UFOs in the 1960s and 70s

- Monogahela Incline Ghost

- William Penn Hotel (Female student murdered back when it was a dorm and haunts two floors)

- Dixmont State Asylum (Now a Walmart)

-The Carnegie Library (Judge who hanged himself writes "The Judge is here" in English or in Latin)

-Mount Washington Library (Hairdresser ghost helps picks out books)

-Lawerenceville Library (Boy's grave on display)

-Bruce Hall at Pitt U (two students commited suicide and now haunt the hall)

-Wabash Bridge Curse (A series of accidents lead the bridge to be torn down in the 1940s)

-Alleghany County Jail (Kate Soffel and the Murder's Row being moved due to hauntings)

Last edited:

Sirfetch’d

I saw this thread and thought adri was back

I have been bamboozled

Back