• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Nintendo DS Music Hacking [LOOPING INCLUDED, FULLY EXPLAINED]

Years
  • Seen Aug 9, 2012
I just finished my first sample of a midi. However, I'm having trouble with the new midi2sseq.

Whenever I try converting it, it just gives me this in the CMD:

Usage:

midi2sseq midifile sseqfile

When I add looping information it does the same thing. Both .dlls are in the same directory. Also, if it matters, after exporting my midi I made a copy of it and used the copied one for editing and converting.

Years
  • Seen Aug 9, 2012
You have to type nameoffile.mid (And you need to add .mid), then put nameofsseq.sseq (You must add .sseq). To use it, you must point a Command Prompt window to the location of it, but it seems you've done that already as you're seeing that message.

Example:

C:\Users\YourName\Documents\midi2sseq input.mid output.sseq
C:\<location on your hard drive>\midi2sseq input.mid output.sseq

Yeah, it already had both extensions and it gave me this:

C:\Documents and Settings\User Folder\midi2sseq input.mid output.sseq
Usage:

midi2sseq midifile sseqfile

But now it's being crazy and giving me this:

C:\Documents and Settings\User Folder\midi2sseq input.mid output.sseq
Warning: note on on active note! Track 13, pos 99
Warning: note off on non-existant note! Track 13, pos 102
Warning: note on on active note! Track 3, pos 173
Warning: note off on non-existant note! Track 3, pos 176
Warning: note on on active note! Track 3, pos 179
Warning: note off on non-existant note! Track 3, pos 182
Warning: note on on active note! Track 3, pos 185
Warning: note off on non-existant note! Track 3, pos 188
Warning: note on on active note! Track 3, pos 191
Warning: note off on non-existant note! Track 3, pos 194
Warning: note on on active note! Track 3, pos 197
Warning: note off on non-existant note! Track 3, pos 200
Warning: note on on active note! Track 3, pos 203
Warning: note off on non-existant note! Track 3, pos 206
Warning: note on on active note! Track 3, pos 209
Warning: note off on non-existant note! Track 3, pos 212
Warning: note on on active note! Track 3, pos 215
Warning: note off on non-existant note! Track 3, pos 218
Warning: note on on active note! Track 3, pos 221
Warning: note off on non-existant note! Track 3, pos 224
Warning: note on on active note! Track 3, pos 227
Warning: note off on non-existant note! Track 3, pos 230
Warning: note on on active note! Track 3, pos 233
Warning: note off on non-existant note! Track 3, pos 236
Warning: note on on active note! Track 3, pos 239
Warning: note off on non-existant note! Track 3, pos 242
Warning: note on on active note! Track 3, pos 245
Warning: note off on non-existant note! Track 3, pos 258
Warning: note on on active note! Track 3, pos 251
Warning: note off on non-existant note! Track 3, pos 254
Warning: note on on active note! Track 3, pos 257
Warning: note off on non-existant note! Track 3, pos 260
Warning: note on on active note! Track 3, pos 263
Warning: note off on non-existant note! Track 3, pos 267
Warning: note on on active note! Track 3, pos 272
Warning: note off on non-existant note! Track 3, pos 276
Warning: note on on active note! Track 3, pos 279
Warning: note off on non-existant note! Track 3, pos 284
Warning: note on on active note! Track 3, pos 287
Warning: note off on non-existant note! Track 3, pos 292
Warning: note on on active note! Track 3, pos 295
Warning: note off on non-existant note! Track 3, pos 300
Warning: note on on active note! Track 3, pos 303
Warning: note off on non-existant note! Track 3, pos 308
Warning: note on on active note! Track 3, pos 315
Warning: note on on active note! Track 3, pos 316
Warning: note off on non-existant note! Track 3, pos 321
Warning: note off on non-existant note! Track 3, pos 322
Warning: note on on active note! Track 3, pos 325
Warning: note off on non-existant note! Track 3, pos 330
Warning: note on on active note! Track 3, pos 333
Warning: note on on active note! Track 3, pos 334
Warning: note off on non-existant note! Track 3, pos 339
Warning: note off on non-existant note! Track 3, pos 340
Warning: note on on active note! Track 3, pos 343
Warning: note off on non-existant note! Track 3, pos 348
Warning: note on on active note! Track 3, pos 351
Warning: note off on non-existant note! Track 3, pos 356
Warning: note on on active note! Track 3, pos 359
Warning: note off on non-existant note! Track 3, pos 364

By any chance, is this even supposed to happen?

Oxnite

aka Arbok
Years
  • Seen Dec 18, 2016
Alright. After tons of procrastination on my part, I have finally got around to updating the Hack Pack. You can get it here!

You can also find it in the bottom of the first post as well.

You can loop an SSEQ without having the MIDI. Just export it from BW as a MIDI with VGMTrans.

Thanks for your help. However.. I tried and I still can't get it working. I've edited about everything of Pokémon Black / White but music hacking still doesn't seem to work for me. Very strange.

I tried to loop the midi of 093-SEQ_BGM_E_INISHIE.sseq, but it didn't work. Everytime I try to add the looped .sseq file to CrystalTile, it gives me an error. Apparently, the new file is too big. OK, I understand that, but how can I make it smaller? I just want to have the original .sseq file, but looped.

Could you please help me with this? [ I need two music files edited for my Pokémon White Deluxe hack, and I really need that before I can release the final version. ]

If somebody could loop 093-SEQ_BGM_E_INISHIE.sseq for me, that would be amazing, thanks in advance.

Oxnite

aka Arbok
Years
  • Seen Dec 18, 2016
WOW! It works! Thank you SO much, Team Fail! It's so amazing yet easy.. Thanks again!!

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
STRM files are much like SWAV files, they are pretty much the un-archived version of a SWAV file. Editing them may not be as easy as you think it is. 'Cause there can be some people that will import their .wav file into the STRM file using Tinke and noticing that the pitch is higher than it should. So you think the answer to it is "decrease the speed and pitch in a .wav editor" right? Well of course you need to do that, but it'll still not sound the same in Tinke though.

And to be honest... the real developers at Tecmo Koei made the same mistake when converting their .wav into a SWAV without fixing the sampling/frequency using a hex editor. No wonder the Pokémon's cries sound higher pitched and faster in the game than in other games. lol

So to avoid making the same mistake as what Tecmo Koei did with the SWAV files... here's what you'll need to do:

Step 1: Open up the .wav file that you'd like to insert into the game with a .wav editor, I'd generally use Wavepad Sound Editor for this, it's also freeware.

Step 2: Click the Sound and Pitch Change button and change it to 98 and click apply.

Step 3: Save the .wav file, upon saving the .wav file... you'll also be given options on what you want the .wav file format to be, make sure the Format is set at "PCM Uncompressed" and the Attributes are set to 32000 Hz, 16 Bits, Stereo. Then click OK.

Step 4: Once your .wav file is saved in the correct format with the sound and pitch changed, open up Tinke, load the ROM you wish to import the .wav to and import the .wav file to any STRM or SWAV that you desire.

Step 5: As you may have noticed... the SWAV or STRM will sound the same as it does from what you edited using the .wav editor, but it will sound correctly in the game, but wait... we're not done yet. Next you need to extract the SWAV or STRM that you imported the .wav file to and close Tinke, this is to prevent a minor bug in Tinke that corrupts the .sdat when changing a file or importing a .wav file for the second time.

Step 6: Open up the SWAV or STRM with a hex editor, I'd normally use HxD for hex editing.

Step 7: Go to offset 0x1C - 0x1D (or 0x1A - 0x1B with an SWAV), this area is the sampling rate for the STRM or SWAV file. Change the bytes to "D8 7F", remember... bytes are written in reverse, so in reality it's 7FD8... which is 32728 in decimal, but on the SWAV or STRM, it's D87F. But remember, SWAV files are mono only.

Step 8: Save the SWAV or STRM and import it into the ROM using Tinke.

I would also recommend adding this to the tutorial as well.

KingDrapion

dual-type Poison/Dark Pokémon.
Years
  • Seen Jul 20, 2014
Hey TF, I don't know why but is there still a chance of the SSEQ file de-syncing even when you have done the steps to fix it? I inserted it with Tinke due to the SSEQ being larger, so would Tinke be the problem of why it is de syncing?

KingDrapion

Years
  • Seen Jul 20, 2014
Oh I didn't loop it, do you reckon that is the reason why the instruments and tempo are stuffing up? Anyway, Ill have to wait until my mate converts my SSEQ file for me since my Command Prompt says the MIDI is corrupted.

Edit: Could spaces in the MIDI file cause the desyncing? Becuase in the MIDI files that are stuffing up, they each have a large amount of space at the end, while the MIDI files that are working don't.

Last edited:

KingDrapion

Years
  • Seen Jul 20, 2014
^Ok Ill do some experimenting and tell you if I could fix it just incase a problem like mine pops up again.

KingDrapion

Years
  • Seen Jul 20, 2014
Ok, from my research, the MIDI files that do not work properly are the ones sent to me from my mate. They change instruments during the track playing. The ones that do work are the ones that don't change instruments and are composed by me (but they aren't very good). It seems that the changing instrument thing should not be the problem since it works on the SSEQ file that Hypershadicx made on Youtube, so I have no idea why it is still desyncing with the MIDI files my mate sent me. That is all I got at the moment but atleast I got this looping and converting thing working properly for me.

KingDrapion

Years
  • Seen Jul 20, 2014
Alright then. I'll look into this synchnorization issue. I have yet to replicate it, but I'll try to, and then provide a fix.

lol after all that, I figured that it was my .sdat that was stuffing up, I also got the loop to work but for some reason it does not loop in VGM trams but it does during normal game-play.

Nurse Kevin

Pokémon Collector
Years
  • Age 30
  • U.S.
  • Seen Jul 16, 2016
There something I just realized about editing midi files, and this is making me think right now that maybe I did everything wrong from the start. There's this guy called HyperShadicX on YouTube who remixed a song from Pokémon R/S/E to replace the trainer battle theme for Pokémon B/W. I checked the midi file he used and it has only 9 tracks in contrast to B/W's trainer battle theme which has 11 tracks. I always thought you had to add the notes from the R/S/E midi into the B/W midi (the one you extract from VGMTrans) and replace its original notes with the notes of the R/S/E midi.

Also, I thought that these R/S/E notes had to be placed exactly on the B/W track that plays the intrument that you want the notes to play. I thought this because as far as I'm concerned I can't seem to change an instrument from a channel (track). For example, Channel 3 (of a random midi) plays the Harmonica but I want it to play Synth Bass 2 instead. You (Team Fail) did say something about changing the patch numbers in FL Studio, but the only 2 areas (as far as I know) that mention the patch numbers are:

1. Fruity LSD (Insert 1) box (where you open the .dls file).

2. Channel Settings box.

On the Fruity LSD box, I click on one of the channels listed in the box and it gives me an option to click on a patch number (supposedly to change the instrument). I click on it, but instead of hearing the new instrument play, it either plays a different sound instead of the game sound or it just doesn't play any sound at all. The Channel Settings box does kind of the same thing, only that sometimes it does play the instrument from a game after changing the patch number listed there. However, when I click "Stop" to halt midi's playback and clicking "Play" again, it resets all changed settings to its original settings.

Questions:

1. Is it possible to remix a midi file with less tracks than the original midi which has more tracks using the game's .dls file?

2. How do I change instruments from a channel to play a different instrument rather than the order that the instruments play?

3. How do I save the changed settings? (As far as I'm concerned, the only changes made in a midi file that save are the notes and its settings. Sound settings don't seem to change at all prior to saving, which makes it difficult for me to determine how the song will sound like in-game. The only way I can determine how a song will sound in-game is by placing the new notes into the channels that play the instruments in the order that it came in.)

Last edited:

Nurse Kevin

Pokémon Collector
Years
  • Age 30
  • U.S.
  • Seen Jul 16, 2016
That's a common issue I ran into at first, but here's what you do:

Open your Piano Roll, and near the top, you'll see a small (Small is an understatement depending on the song) dropdown list. There will be properties for each track based on the name, and if some are missing, don't worry! Select another track with the property you're trying to edit, then select your original track once again. It will then change the bottom part of the piano roll, and you can edit tracks, tempo, velocity, and whatnot. And they'll stay set to what you want them to be.

OK, I'll check on that part. Thanks again.

Years
Is there a way to change some music files that exist in game in Pokemon White 2? I mean to change trainer's music (eg. Hiker) to Kanto Gym Leader music? If it is I would like to change some music:
Trainer named Hiker will have Kanto Gym Leader Music,
Youngster - Johto Gym Leader,
Worker - Hoenn Gym Leader,
Lass - Sinnoh Gym Leader and with champions:
Waiter (not Waitress) - Kanto Champion (Blue),
Dancer - Johto Champion (Lance),
Psychic (man) - Hoenn Champion
the last music: music which plays, when you fight the last, final battle in world tournament and that music for a Doctor.
Please, help me in doing it, just explain how to change music for Hiker, then for the others I will try allone to do it.

Thanks in advance.

Years
  • Seen Jun 13, 2016
Hello, i've been trying since yesterday to insert a .sseq file i've made. The MIDI sounds perfect, so i converted it to .sseq and using Tinke i've replaced the bycicle theme sound. The problem is, when i listen to it ingame, it sounds in slow motion. If I extract again the .sseq file from the modified ROM, it sounds perfect. I've no idea what i'm doing wrong. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen May 3, 2020
I have to say this tutorial is very good at explaining each step I've got to the point of inserting the song into the game. But I have to repoint the files to actually enter the music into the game. Please if you can explain this I would really appreciate it.

Years
  • Age 20
  • Seen Jun 26, 2017
Hello,
I've followed all your steps, but I am stuck at MIDI2SSEQ.
At first, I couldn't download it so I used web.archive.org to retrieve the page.
Then, I needed to download 4 dll files in order to run it.
I did all of that, but now I can't get it to run. I tried everything. I tried
1) to open midi2seqq via the midi file
2) moving the midi file on top of midi2seqq to open it
3) using command prompt with instructions from https://projectpokemon.org/forums/forums/topic/24370-looping-sseq-files-for-nds-and-inserting
Can someone help me?
Thanks in advance,
MilanNL

Years
  • Age 119
  • Seen Oct 30, 2019
Is it possible to repoint yet? If yes please give me an instruction. There is no way in universe i can make my sseq even smaller.

Edit: I also need a further explanation about that messed up tempo. Its like some tracks played at regular tempo while others have their speed halved. I try to figure out for hours now.

Last edited:
Back