• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Martial Arts & Combat Sports

Outlier

I know this is a Pokemon forum but I'm surprised that there's no sports section at all.

Anyways feel free to discuss all things martial arts related. Whether it be an organization you watch like the UFC or a particular discipline you train in. Stuff like that.

I guess I'll start things off by asking if you have any favorite fighters? I don't want to limit this thread just to that question though, again feel free to talk about anything martial arts related.

Joel.Lion

Years
I really enjoy watching ufc, though bellator is my favorite; the tournament system is in my opinion makes it more simple and enjoyable to keep up with. As far as my favorite fighter goes, I think I have to go with clay guida in ufc (I hope I spelled his name right so he doesn't find me lol. ) however , they all have my respect because it takes real dedication and discipline to turn yourself into a weapon. Also in my opinion mma is on a higher level then most sports because you don't get to fall back on you're team to help you, once the gates shut its you and the opponent.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
I watch wrestling, UFC, boxing and muay-thai.

I practiced Karate at the age of 7, boxing at 10, Muay-thai and mixed martial arts at 15. I also taught Muay-Thai to kids aged from 15 to 18 during the summer (I'm 20, btw)

So yea, I love practicing it. I don't learn it to fight people, I learn it so I don't have to fight. (Kudos if you actually understand the meaning to it)

One fighter I really admire is George St-Pierre from UFC. Coolest thing? He goes to the same gym as me, Tristar. My coach personally knows him so sometimes when he got free time on his hands at the gym, he gives some tips on our combat skills with us and he's really a nice person, great personality and very helpful :)

V-Create

You have no power here
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jan 12, 2014
Guys! Finally!! Anyway, how did you find UFC 168?
Anderson really got it bad.. I was laughing the whole time though cos earlier in the match
I was looking at his legs and I said to my bro-in-law "Wow Silva skips leg day a lot..."
What irony, couple of minutes later, his leg snapped in half.
I think Weidman should be credited atleast with his skills, he definitely had Round 1 there.
He was throwing punches and things so he doesn't deserve all the booing.
All of these MMA fans are too damn tunnel-visioned. tsktsk
Womens bantamweight <3 Oh god.:pink_blush: Don't even get me started with Ronda and Miesha.. oh god:3c

Wazee Wynkoop

New Start!
Years
I'll watch RAW occasionally; I know it's fake, but I love how immersive it can get. I went to one of their live shows and it got my blood pumping. I was cheering for dudes I didn't know the first thing about, and it felt great!

Out of them, I like C.M Punk and Daniel Bryan. They've had some awesome fights.

ElGuapoAssassin

Lord Of Dragons
Years
  • Age 35
  • Ohio
  • Seen Jan 9, 2014
I've been into MMA for a very long time, about 10 years now I'd like to say. I used to do amateur kickboxing and karate when I was younger but fell out of it, I'd love to get back into though, it's such a great way to let go of anger and brings you a lot of peace mentally.

As far as watching it goes, I used to go to the bar and watch every UFC PPV but in the last few years I've honestly felt the fights have really went downhill. Most fighters these days are just point fighters and aren't explosive or very exciting to watch at all. I'd rather watch other amateur MMA organizations with fighters who are hungry to make a name for themselves and not play it safe every fight. I also love to watch old PRIDE matches, some of the best fights you'll ever see.

Outlier

I've been into MMA for a very long time, about 10 years now I'd like to say. I used to do amateur kickboxing and karate when I was younger but fell out of it, I'd love to get back into though, it's such a great way to let go of anger and brings you a lot of peace mentally.

As far as watching it goes, I used to go to the bar and watch every UFC PPV but in the last few years I've honestly felt the fights have really went downhill. Most fighters these days are just point fighters and aren't explosive or very exciting to watch at all. I'd rather watch other amateur MMA organizations with fighters who are hungry to make a name for themselves and not play it safe every fight. I also love to watch old PRIDE matches, some of the best fights you'll ever see.

It's a shame that you're not as interested in watching the UFC anymore. 2013 in my opinion was the greatest year for MMA ever. Especially as far as the UFC was concerned. I don't mind fights that go to decision so long as both fighters are trying to push the action. I'd rather watch an intense, competitive 5 round fight that goes to decision between two elite fighters like Jon Jones - Gustafsson than some blowout fight that ends in 60 seconds between two random local guys.

As for there being too many point fighters in the UFC. I don't know if I agree with that. I think there's a mixed bag of exciting fighters who throw caution to the wind like Wanderlei Silva and Diego Sanchez and fighters who like to fight more conservatively. I don't think there is a single champion in the UFC right now who doesn't finish the majority of their opponents. The Heavyweight, middleweight, welterweight and lightweight divisions are as stacked as they've ever been. The women are coming into their own too and aren't too hard on the eyes either (Oh what I'd let Miesha and Ronda do to me). ♥

I find amateur MMA pretty hard to watch for the most part. UFC isn't perfect but they have the greatest fighters on the planet and that's enough to draw me in.

Oh and Pride was awesome.

I'll watch RAW occasionally; I know it's fake, but I love how immersive it can get. I went to one of their live shows and it got my blood pumping. I was cheering for dudes I didn't know the first thing about, and it felt great!

Out of them, I like C.M Punk and Daniel Bryan. They've had some awesome fights.

I hate to break it to ya but Professional Wrestling isn't a combat sport. :P

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 2, 2014
I watch UFC religiously. I am currently learning kick boxing, and want to learn MMA after that. I've taken a bit of wrestling in middle school.

What happened to Anderson Silva was a shame. I don't really like the guy; his godly, provocative attitude made me so happy Weidman beat him in the first match. But I kind of felt sorry for him when he snapped his leg. Just a little bit.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
I practise karate, of the Shoto-kan style, and have done since I was six (so quite some time!). I'm a 3rd dan black belt atm, and do some part time teaching as well as a Sensei. More into performing kata than sparing, personally.

I haven't actually watched much fighting besides some youtubing and just regular sparing at the dojo, really. No pay TV, so there hasn't been much in the way of stuff like UFC or etc available until rather recently, perhaps (and even then...).

Outlier

Nate Diaz just called Dana White out on twitter for saying he turned down a fight.

"@danawhite @ufc are full of **** I didn't turn down anything"

lol I love the Diaz Bros so much. I believe Nate 100%! Dana White has a history of lying about fighters the moment they don't fall in line with him or the UFC. My guess is Dana contacted Nate's management and they didn't say yes immediately so Dana tried to name and shame Nate for turning down a fight. He's done this in the past with other fighters, even if they were dealing with nagging injuries or didn't want to accept a short noticed fight without a proper training camp to prepare first.

Dana really is an obnoxious ass. He trashes his own employees all the time in front of the media. It's despicable, especially considering these men and women put their livelihood on the line every time they step inside the cage.

Back