• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Unpopular opinions

Years
-TBH Gen 2 is my least favorite

-Normal types are strong

-Double remakes suck.... as in, Pokemon Gray instead of Black and White 2

-Dunsparce should NOT evolve

-I don't like Mega Evolution

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
I have zero issues with legit hacking.

GF stuffs these games full of the most overly excessive BS, probably just for padding.

Resolve

I have it
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Apr 2, 2020
A lot of Pokemon fans are Waaaaay too easily swayed by cuteness alone.

This.

Hmmm alright:

Team Rocket is my favorite enemy team, not for nostalgia reasons—or at least not entirely—but because I feel like they're the most unscrupulous and realistically-evil. They aren't out to accomplish some JRPG Supervillain Goal, like totally overhaul all or part of the world for whatever reason or commit genocide against all Pokémon, by using the game's mascot legendary Pokémon; they just want money and power and don't care who they have to hurt, or how much, to get it.

I don't like plot-mandated legendary Pokémon encounters and especially plot-mandated actually catching the legendary. Part of what I always found appealing about legendaries was their being obscure, optional, unique Pokémon to find in the world. Always getting a Pokémon like that every playthrough makes having it feel profoundly not special.

I really resent that GameFreak keeps distributing all these event Pokémon already at level 70~100. Training Pokémon up is part of the fun, dang it!

These.

- The same people that say gen V has bad designs bc of ice cream and a trash bag are the same people that let a magnet, a rock with arms, a pile of goo, and an angry Pokeball have a pass bc gen I.
- Charizard didn't need two mega forms.
- I think the amount of water and Surfing in RSE is fine. You spend an equal time on land during the first half of the game and in a game where the theme is land and sea, it just makes more sense.

These.

Anyway...
I thought Generation V was godlike in its time.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
Not just USUM, but games like Emerald, Platinum should of never existed - the features of them been the first stream of games in the first place. Like those type of games kinda invalidate the exclusivity of the duo games and sorta serve no purpose other than cash grabs.

I mean I still like the games very much but... why make them in the first place when you can just work with the core games?

No offense, but Platinum was needed, and did need to exist. The pokedex in Diamond/Pearl was BAD and needed a huge revision. The games were also really, slow and needed an improvement.

But the rest of this is true.

atmmachine11

Jumping portals since 1997.
Years
- X and Y are the worst main series Pokemon games.
- Pokemon is in fact getting way to easy and they should add difficulty options similar to Black/White 2 but without making it a chore to even unlock the difficulty options.
-Pokemon designs are subjective and you can argue any design is bad/good but that will not change the fact that someone out there loves or hates your favorite design. (aka I think arguing a Pokemon design is bad is pointless/stupid)
-Competitive Pokemon is not that fun and I much prefer the Single Player/battling friends for fun using whatever Pokemon we want.

kitarei

☕ milk tea & 💻 code.
Years
Gen V has the worst battle and overworld sprites. It felt like a major downgrade from Gen IV (and even Gen III!).

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
No offense, but Platinum was needed, and did need to exist. The pokedex in Diamond/Pearl was BAD and needed a huge revision. The games were also really, slow and needed an improvement.

But the rest of this is true.

Why not had the updated Pok?dex from Platinum into Pearl and Diamond in the first place was my point here.

Years
1) Black and White was actually better than the sequels.

Heresy, I know. BW2 has a great post game, but umm... i prefer actual game. I don't think anyone even argues that Zinzolin is better as the face of Team Plasma than N or Ghetsis. There's no more exploration of the morals of the Pokemon world. It does not even make sense why Team Plasma has members now, their goal does not make any friggin sense anymore and they literally have to suggest that Ghetsis has gone crazy to forward this plotline of bringing nuclear winter to Unova and surviving the ice age on an airship. They completely destroyed the calculating, charismatic motivational speaker and to add insult to injury nerfed his team. Even if I bought this, which I don't, there's not enough in it for these other characters. Nobody would help him with a motivation this silly.

You have fewer rivals, and the one you have Hugh is not memorable. You don't even see the pivotal characters from the original BW games like the N and Ghetsis until the end of the story. But hey screw plot in BW seems to be general opinion, these are the games where you get the nature preserve, battle tree, free shinies and world tournament, and strong pokemon at the beginning of the game like riolu, growlithe, mareep that aren't in the Unova Dex...all things that have no bearing on the plot whatsoever, whether you do pokestar studios has absolutely no impact on the actual story.

I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with any of the side material, just bringing up that that is what it is, these are cosmetic changes and the actual story content has gotten so much thinner. While its a good game in the franchise I'm not feeling the same love that I did for BW. Popular opinion is that it completely demolishes all memory of the original BW games, and I beg to differ.

2) Frlg are the worst remakes out there and a disservice

They changed 1% of the game. The sevii isles looks like beta content, they didn't even bother to name each island nor come up with individual themes, these are literally reused and remixed tracks. They did not enhance the gym layouts after all these years. Compare this with how dynamic Bugsy's gym became in HGSS, or even changes between follow-up games ike Elesa's BW gym vs BW2.

There were no dramatic contributions to the game mechanics from Ruby and Sapphire, whereas HGSS introduced the Pokeathalon and Pokemon walking with you and Oras brought the dexnav, new megas and soaring. HGSS and ORAS tried to come up with some exciting new features that not only were not in the original games but innovations from Platinum and XY respectively, FRLG did the opposite, it relied on Ruby and Sapphire mechanics without making valuable contributions of itd own to the third gen as a whole. Had FRLG introduced the battle frontier for instance then we might be having a different conversation, but that was Emerald that brought one of the definitive features of 3rd gen. Perhaps FRLG could have incorporated day and night since it did nor have to have the extensive over world weather like RSE, but no such luck.

I don't think frlg deserves to be held up as the definitive Kanto. There's just not enough here other than looking prettier. I would rather just play the originals. I will play Yellow, since those sprites are still pretty cute and frlg didn't incorporate any of the content from this game. I don't mind playing in bw if I get Jesse, James and Meowth appearances, talking starter pokemon to follow and play with me, I can adopt all of the starter Pokemon and even get to battle with Prof Oak if I glitch.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018

Heresy, I know. BW2 has a great post game, but umm... i prefer actual game. I don't think anyone even argues that Zinzolin is better as the face of Team Plasma than N or Ghetsis. There's no more exploration of the morals of the Pokemon world. It does not even make sense why Team Plasma has members now, their goal does not make any friggin sense anymore and they literally have to suggest that Ghetsis has gone crazy to forward this plotline of bringing nuclear winter to Unova and surviving the ice age on an airship. They completely destroyed the calculating, charismatic motivational speaker and to add insult to injury nerfed his team. Even if I bought this, which I don't, there's not enough in it for these other characters. Nobody would help him with a motivation this silly.

You have fewer rivals, and the one you have Hugh is not memorable. You don't even see the pivotal characters from the original BW games like the N and Ghetsis until the end of the story. But hey screw plot in BW seems to be general opinion, these are the games where you get the nature preserve, battle tree, free shinies and world tournament, and strong pokemon at the beginning of the game like riolu, growlithe, mareep that aren't in the Unova Dex...all things that have no bearing on the plot whatsoever, whether you do pokestar studios has absolutely no impact on the actual story.

I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with any of the side material, just bringing up that that is what it is, these are cosmetic changes and the actual story content has gotten so much thinner. While its a good game in the franchise I'm not feeling the same love that I did for BW. Popular opinion is that it completely demolishes all memory of the original BW games, and I beg to differ.

2) Frlg are the worst remakes out there and a disservice

They changed 1% of the game. The sevii isles looks like beta content, they didn't even bother to name each island nor come up with individual themes, these are literally reused and remixed tracks. They did not enhance the gym layouts after all these years. Compare this with how dynamic Bugsy's gym became in HGSS, or even changes between follow-up games ike Elesa's BW gym vs BW2.

There were no dramatic contributions to the game mechanics from Ruby and Sapphire, whereas HGSS introduced the Pokeathalon and Pokemon walking with you and Oras brought the dexnav, new megas and soaring. HGSS and ORAS tried to come up with some exciting new features that not only were not in the original games but innovations from Platinum and XY respectively, FRLG did the opposite, it relied on Ruby and Sapphire mechanics without making valuable contributions of itd own to the third gen as a whole. Had FRLG introduced the battle frontier for instance then we might be having a different conversation, but that was Emerald that brought one of the definitive features of 3rd gen. Perhaps FRLG could have incorporated day and night since it did nor have to have the extensive over world weather like RSE, but no such luck.

I don't think frlg deserves to be held up as the definitive Kanto. There's just not enough here other than looking prettier. I would rather just play the originals. I will play Yellow, since those sprites are still pretty cute and frlg didn't incorporate any of the content from this game. I don't mind playing in bw if I get Jesse, James and Meowth appearances, talking starter pokemon to follow and play with me, I can adopt all of the starter Pokemon and even get to battle with Prof Oak if I glitch.

So basically gen 3 is both your favorite and least favorite generation.

Years

Gotta agree with you here. They lost their focus on the important stuff in BW2 with all of the side stuff and, in the end, released a game that is rather boring compared to the original.

Years
So basically gen 3 is both your favorite and least favorite generation.

Nah, I wouldn't go that far to say that this generation marks my favorite and least favorite. Yes, I am wild about Hoenn, especially Emerald. But while Frlg is not the highest on my list of favs, its not the lowest either. Its not my least favorite game in the series by a long shot. My least favorite generation is more recent...

Fruitcakke

Gengar-Certified
Years
  • Age 24
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 6, 2024
I don't really like Kanto, I feel like going through it once was fun but now it's just inconvenient reliving it. Sinnoh is definitely the best region out there, D/P/Pt were the best games in the series.
Also I agree with whomever stated 'PMD > main series'

Years
Alola actually isn't as bad as some people shit on it for!

sure, it has flaws (like every other region ever), but as a whole, it wasn't a bad region to explore and i personally didn't mind the cutscenes.

but that may be because i play JRPGs and to the best of my knowledge they're known for long cutscenes

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
-Battle Frontier is overrated
-Of the Gen 7 games, the ones that people should take issue with are Sun/Moon, not Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon
-friendly rivals are not inherently bad
-Flygon sucks

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
-Battle Frontier is overrated
-Of the Gen 7 games, the ones that people should take issue with are Sun/Moon, not Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon
-friendly rivals are not inherently bad
-Flygon sucks

Yeah I realized criticizing USUM is more so because it was released right after it's beta version-esque predecessors. USUM should have been released first instead of the incomplete SM.

The battle frontier is fun but I agree as well with this. The RNG and difficulty is rough and it pretty much requires competitive bred teams. But at least it was more than one facility unlike the ones we get now.

Last edited:
Years
Alright here I am again with a couple more unpopular opinions:

• Object-based Pok?mon are not less creative, less worthy of being in the games, nor inferior in any way to organic-based Pok?mon. Their designs are often really charming; I liked them in Kanto and I still like them all the way into Alola. Their presence makes the overall roster of Pok?mon richer, more varied, and more enjoyable to play around with, and they absolutely belong in the series.
  • While I am of the opinion that Hoenn's water routes are kind of boring, I don't think it's the fact that they're so watery that's the problem. It's that basically nothing interesting happens on almost any of them, and interesting geography that's fun to explore is kind of a rarity, too. I think the idea of having a lot more water in a region centered around the duality of land and sea is a good idea, but they should've put more variation, creativity, and life into the water areas, giving them more varied geography, wild Pok?mon encounter lineups, interesting things for the player to find or do in them, all that jazz.

Last edited:
Back