• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Released] Pokemon Rebalanced (Demo, 5 Badges & Pokemon Tower)

Which city should the SS Anne head to after you beat Surge?

• Olivine City

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Mossdeep City

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Snowpoint City

• Driftveil City

• Total voters

Wootius

Glah
Years
  • Seen May 31, 2022
Pokémon Rebalanced: Red

This remake of Generation 1 is primary aimed at make every included Pokemon useful at the end of the game. I'm tired of catching Pidgeot and it being meh, every Pokemon should stand out in some way.

I intend to do this by:

1. Standardizing and redistributing every included Pokemon's BST
  2. Raking through the movepools of every included Pokemon, adding where it's needed and taking away from those with a bit too much.
  3. Redistributing the better/more battle useful Abilities to more Pokemon and adding more Abilities in general.
  4. Lastly, type additions/changes. There should be very few of these.

What I don't want to do is give every Pokemon Multiscale and Draco Meteor, but to increase weaker Pokemon BST and movepools to where they can compete with each other as equally as possible. If the Pokemon is totally devoid of any character, or if it could be useful to contrast it with another Pokemon of the same typing and "animal" type I'll do so.

Arbok and Seviper make a nice example, as I'd like to further Arbok as a bulky physical sweeper while making Seviper a special counterpart with a new special version of Intimidate. I'm even leaning toward both evolving from Ekans and having a split evolution line like the Hitmon family.

Making trainer battles challenging by both making Pokemon better, improving their AI, and giving them teams worth fighting is the next goal. Gym leaders should be a major, but fair, challenge now. Rival battles are going to be major pains in the butt.

Not all 721 will be in this hack. I'm thinking 350 tops, 300 if I do a cut down. I don't want to overload Kanto with everything under the sun.

Last, I hope to make the base Red plot more interesting with some changes to it and making the NPCs more involved overall. You are still the hero however!

I've completed the storyline and eventing up to the end of Fuchsia! That's five gyms, two caves, one ship, a Rocket base, and the Pokémon Tower. I've rebalanced all ~280 Pokémon currently in the game. A hundred new moves are in and slotted into movesets. Following Help14's Pokémon is in. FL's numerous scripts are in. A EV/IV Screen is in.

Other Features

• Please go to Sable City before Mt. Moon. Otherwise, you'll meet someone in Vermilion you haven't talked to be. Sable City has lots of cool stuff anyway! And a free Pokemon!
  • Turbo, like on emulators.
  • Gen 6 support. No super EXP Share however.
  • Expanded Kanto Pokedex of ~320 Pokemon. All Pokemon are evolvable.
  • Entire new areas added to Kanto. Visit other places too!
  • A fast cycling Day/Night system(FL's Unreal time system), 24 minutes to a ingame day, for ease of nighttime encounters and plant growth.
  • Increased double battle importance.
  • Fair, but challenging difficulty.
  • A chance at a second Rival.
  • Following Pokemon.
  • IV/EV Screen.
  • Reusable TMS
  • Gain other starters via trade or catching.
  • 1% Shiny Chance

Story

I intend to follow the Rocket story line pretty closely, except with one character doing Team Rocket in as the main change. But the ease of RMXP allows me to make important NPCs much more active throughout the game and I intend to make them be so.

Demo!

Here's the link. http://www.reddit.com/r/PokemonReba...mon_rebalanced_redon_pe_13_demo_4_badges_the/

If you are a windows user, I recommend running it in XP compatibility mode.

To clarify, I do not ensure save compatibility. They should work 99% of the time and I will not change existing plot flags.

But if I add a new one earlier, you won't have it on a old file.

Issues:
Game intro has no graphics: Didn't use the right intro, should have no effect.
Shiny Charmeleons: Ignore, but should be harmless. They turn logging on.

Feedback welcome! I have two betas. One feels the start is too grindy then levels off, the other felt it was fine.

A pastebin/text file/google doc of any errors you run into would be appreciated!

Progress​

Boring spreadsheets if that's your thing.

Random things
Spoiler:

Credits
Spoiler:

Thanks for reading!

Last edited:

Wootius

Glah
Years
  • Seen May 31, 2022
The copypasta houses/garden combos and markets make me look lazy though. I am going to get more of the resources off of this site(such as sprites/tilesets) now that I've found it.

I've converted the music I want from the HG/SS soundtrack to OGG, so I'm good musicwise though.

Radical Raptr

#BAMFPokemonNerd
Years
I love the idea, it sounds amazing, its really innovative and makes raising pokemon refreshing rather than searching for that OP team that can easily sweep any team - it gives it more of a challenge and spices things up. Good luck on it, though you seem to already have a handle on it :P

as for your maps, they're good but they need work - i also dont like how wide the PC is, could you explain this

Wootius

Glah
Years
  • Seen May 31, 2022
The extra wide pokecenters are combo center/marts like in Gen V. I'm also planning on putting some sort of trainer house inside too.

I was planning on editing the tileset with "TC" for trainer center. Only the ones in cities will be combo ones however.

They are a bit too large though. Thanks for the encouragement!

Radical Raptr

#BAMFPokemonNerd
Years
The extra wide pokecenters are combo center/marts like in Gen V. I'm also planning on putting some sort of trainer house inside too.

I was planning on editing the tileset with "TC" for trainer center. Only the ones in cities will be combo ones however.

They are a bit too large though. Thanks for the encouragement!
if you bring it in 1 tile on both sides i think it would look fine, it looks really weird how wide it is

Wootius

Glah
Years
  • Seen May 31, 2022
Nothing super fancy to report. Had a hard drive scare, but in the age of Dropbox I didn't lose anything.

I've gotten much of the "standard" moves(the TShock->Tbolt->Thunder kind) sorted out and decided on the "standard" effect for each type. Such as the Dragon type, where some moves of this type will feature a %chance to heal for 1/16 max/current(haven't decided) HP on hit. I think that helps play into the mythical, "durable" mythos surrounding the Dragon type.

Have a peek at Oak's new reserve, where he's actually studying pokemon for once.
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen May 27, 2018
This looks like an interesting project, I might just try this out when the beta is ready. Oak's Research area is a nice addition. I'm sure you'll be proofing your maps and stuff since you said these were rough map designs but the tile right above Oak's door is wrong, lol unless Oak is just that cool and wanted some half windows.

Edit: Eh I wasnt going to ask but, you said you're rebalancing all the pokemon to make them useful, what ideas do you have for Magikarp, I know he evolves into Gyarados. But Magikarp himself learns splash, tackle, and flail and I don't believe many people use him widely because of his move set

Last edited:

Wootius

Glah
Years
  • Seen May 31, 2022
Oh yeah, alot of building sprites don't mirror at all sadly. I'm currently building a HG/SS Outside Titleset so I may not bother polishing these at all.

But if I did I'd fix that and the chimney.

Before someone asks for the tileset, here's what I have so far. Link, Credits in the spoiler.
Spoiler:

When I say I Pokemon, I mean final stages generally(with pre-evolutions benefiting from the combined changes along the way to their final form/s). Magikarp is special, as they generally exist just to "cheat" you out of 500 Pokedollars when you are twelve.

Breedable Dragon Rage, or a physical water move with an ATK BST increase could make raising them tolerable. I definitely want to have someone sell a shinny Magikarp that know Dragon Rage now.

Last edited:

Wootius

Glah
Years
  • Seen May 31, 2022
Alright, here's something Concrete. A Demo!

This goes right up to the base of Mount Moon. Included changes so far:

• Rough BST changes for every included Pokemon. Generally a three stage pokemon will have 33% of its BST added per stage. A two stage Pokemon may have between ~50% to 70% of its BST depending on how late it evolves. Single stage Pokemon of course have 100% of their BST already. You will see few one stage Pokemon until the fourth Gym
  • Moves and Movepools have not been edited from the most part. A few pokemon received a starting move that better suited them, but that's it.
  • Nothing Abillity wise either
  • You can get the Old rod.

As for what is "new":

• Every map(except for that nice Route 1 map, Pewter Gym, and whatever rooms I haven't changed from PE) is brand new, with custom Pokemon encounter lists. I will generally try to keep the lists ~60-80% Gen 1/II but have no qualms about adding in other pokemon that complement them from other generations.
  • If you run into Gary with different starters, you may notice he has a different second pokemon. Expect the differences to grow with every encounter.
  • Brock's role has been greatly expanded. Not to "spoil" much about a game that already has an ending, but this is a glimpse of the expanded role NPCs will play in making the story more interactive. I personally don't like double battles, but I'll make a poll to see what everyone likes. It's a bit bare with Brock, just a few lines and he moves on to the next stage. I hope to expand on it.
  • Mount Moon/Stable Town mark the end of the kid's gloves in terms of game difficulty. Upto Brock you may notice there seem to be quite a few Pokemon useful against him and later Misty. While Brock has a slight "counter" to those Pokemon, Misty and other advanced trainers will be well rounded and have stratagems to cover their weaknesses.
  • You'll also notice a new Route to a new town. More on that later.

I cut you off right as the game gets exciting! The next demo will cover upto the end of Misty at least and won't been done until I'm sure savegames will transfer between demos. Things to look forward to:

• Before helping Brock inside Mount Moon why not take a detour to Sable Town, home of the Kanto Pokemon Technical Institute? With your badge in hand, you're "officially" progressed farther then many multi-year students at the Institute. Will you attend it for a day and rewrite Battling 101? Does having a badge really make you better then some of those students? Do well enough and you may inspire a new rival to strike out on her own journey.
  • Of course, there's a town too. Sable Town is home to many buildings of higher education and numerous laboratories. Saffron may have the skyscrapers, but the laboratories of Sable Town turn the profits of many of the corporations headquartered there. Someone could even be using a grand scientific endeavor for his own ends...
  • After you've had you tested your skills and explored this new place, you'll meet a very special Pokemon on the way back! It'll be in a bit of a bind and you can either set it free or see if it feels like a grand journey! Good thing those balloons look stylish. It'll need them to carry that surf board. Is that a cake too? Has Mom been feeding wild pokemon again?
  • The above Pokemon will mark the beginning of a series of special event Pokemon that you'll find throughout your journey. Some, like the above one, will be extensively customized from their "base" in terms of BST, movepool, Ability, evolution path, and even sprites! Others might just be presented with a little storyline to dig them into your heart. But they exist to once again bring more life into the pokemon world.
  • Last, there's Cerulean city. There's that Rocket recruiting ring to bust. That robbery might be a little more high profile this time around. And Misty too! That Starmie might be back up to Gen one standards, DeathStar indeed!

=====================================================================

Why did I just tempt you will all these hopes and dreams? With a terribly rough demo that looks like Joey made it? It's a bit of a call to arms. I have zero spriting and music skills. I could use another brain on BST and movepool changes, just based on the number of them. A person to pass maps(and fill with trainers) back and fourth with can only help them greatly. Someone to bounce ideas of off while I learn enough to start scripting. I have no problems learning how to do something for the project, and indeed am doing a bit of everything. It's a bit of motivation for me too.

I'm basically looking for a Michelangelo to go with my da Vinci if I may make the most absurd, boldest overstatement of skills to ever grace this site.

Thank you for reading my bit of hot air, and enjoy the show. It's Pastel Red, brought to you by viewers like you and the tireless, unending efforts of the Pokemon Essentials contributors.

Mediafire Links:

Last edited:

Wootius

Glah
Years
  • Seen May 31, 2022
Three more small updates: One, I've nailed down a early list of "basic" moves for each of seventeen types. I'll begin adding them in soon and editing movepools. I'm still trying to work out the Thrash and and Draco Meteor family of moves.

Stupidly, I did it all on paper first.. Here's what's online, Accuracy is the thing I'm iffiest on. Comments more then welcome.>atm<.

Second, I've transitioned to the new tileset. Here's a rough Pallet town, the tree ring needs to be drawn in to shrink it but I like it. The 2d/3d contrast is... I like Oak's new lab so much more I may ditch the 3D homes.
Spoiler:

Third, I've added that awesome Unreal Time script in. 24 minutes = 1 ingame day. This'll make night encounters/plant farming much more reasonable. I've added the HUD too but probably won't show pokemon on it in the end. A Run/Bike button, open Pokedex/Team/Item buttons, and a Clock are what I hope to be able to add. I might even pretend I'm on a PC and map them to the number keys.

Last edited:

Wootius

Glah
Years
  • Seen May 31, 2022
More news. Sable City is roughly mapped and the story to go with it formed, so I'm filling it right now.

51f150a86ba29.jpg

More on Sable city later. For now, when you leave Sable City to head to Mount Moon, you'll run into a special pokemon.

Spoiler:

That's right, Flying Pikachu is the first event pokemon! You'll have to stop it from drifting away and you don't have to take it if you save it. But if you do you'll have a Flying Pikachu! It stays in Flying form via a item, balloon harness, and returns to normal if it is removed.

Flying Pikachu abillity is Balloons!! and give it the effect of Air Balloon for THREE hits after which it becomes grounded until switched out and back in. Flying Pikachu will have a unique BST, Movepool and will not evolve.

Flying isn't the only thing this resourceful critter can do, but to gain the other forms, two more of them, you'll have to explore the world to find them. Each form will also have a unique BST, ability, and movepool.

That's it for now, thanks for reading!

Wootius

Glah
Years
  • Seen May 31, 2022
I've talked about doing magical things like redoing BSTs, rewrites of move pools, and even new moves. Well, I want to show some of those things that are doing into the Mount Moon/Sable City Demo.

Below is the second revision of the BSTs and movepools of the starters. I say second, because well it's the second version but also because I'm pondering on decoupling Speed from the BST system and leaving it as a metagame "who generally goes first" stat. That would leave the remaining totals + some compensation for the speed loss to play with entirely new BST ranges and making every BST point deal with some direct way in HP making comparisons simpler.

Oh, it's HP/ATK/DEF/SpA/SDef/SPD
51f2a82ba6d9e.bmp

51f2ab8730210.bmp

Poor Squirtile is "just a tank" but with the counter moves, several moves with side effects to lower your spd/atk/acc or PZ you and the utility of Yawn/Fake Tears/Rapid Spin it'll never be unwanted.

Charmander is pretty much straight Mixed offense. Early rage gives you a chance to do something aside from just straight attacking with him by taking calculated hits. Fire Spin locking in lets you switch without worrying about the AI switching out.

Bulbasaur is the least changed, aside from being slower. This loss of speed has gained him bulkiness he'll abuse well with his variety of absorbing moves, poison laced attacks, and ok special attack and good physical attack to use with Growth.

To round this off, let me revel their (rough)unique abilities: Bulbasaur's lets him heal a bit from the enemie's poison damage, Squirtle's reduces the Maximum damage of attacks that hit him by ~10%(so say a move can do 30% Max HP damage to him and Squirtle rolls the max damage reduction. The Attack does 27% Max HP damage.) and Charmander's will most likely raise the damage on the next attack he does of the same category that hit him last by ~5%(so Someone Tackles Charmander, his next physical attack will deal 5% more damage).

Thank you for reading, comments are more then welcome.

BSTs currently

Currently changed/added moves

Arma

The Hyena
Years
Alright, just a quick comment on the change of the starter's BSTs. I really don't like how Venusaur is now leaning more towards the physical rather than the special side, but that's just my opinion. XD Looks fairly balanced to me.

Wootius

Glah
Years
  • Seen May 31, 2022
Vileplume will be your bulky Special Grass/Poison poke, while Bellossom will be a special Grass tank.

Did you look at the moves then?

Arma

The Hyena
Years
Not really, I just looked at your post. But it's nice to hear that Vileplume will be Bulky and specially oriented. =)

Wootius

Glah
Years
  • Seen May 31, 2022
I'm not up to giving a Billy Mays pitch tonight, but progress has been made.

The first fifty pokemon have had their level up move sets refreshed! I'm not doing in a way that speeds up a demo release, as ~35-40% you see are not Gen I pokes. The methodical way does allow me to expand my custom movepool as I've generally made a new move every three-four pokemon.

Any comments/suggestions are welcome.

MOVEPOOLs

Wootius

Glah
Years
  • Seen May 31, 2022
We have the Technology, we can build a better move.
51f96aa803795.jpg

Moves going into the game right now, Mt. Moon this weekend? I've not only redone the first fifty pokemon's levelup learnsets I've also done it for every pokemon upto Mt. Moon for the demo.

Edit: TREMBLE BEFORE BUDEW, LORD OF THE SEA.

51f975b19f747.jpg

Last edited:

Wootius

Glah
Years
  • Seen May 31, 2022
Adding in new moves is much more tedious then I expected. The "coding"(stealing from other move mainly) isn't hard, but typing them in is such a dull job. It's not helping that I may have added 200 moves...

I'm done with that though and now I just need to finish eventing Sable City and Mount Moon and changing the included Pokemon. So we're about 50% complete.

Last edited:

Wootius

Glah
Years
  • Seen May 31, 2022
Type Effectness changes: Complete. Rock is no longer weak to Water or resistant to Normal(that really needed?), Ground is no longer weak to Grass. Now Ground/Rock Pokemon are no longer simple bait for any Grass/Water move on anything, but still need to switch due to low SDef on Special attackers.

AI Changes: No more Growl*5 attack strings...

Added new Moves for all types(moves now number to 750...): Complete.

Encounter lists: Complete.

Included Pokemon Movepool changes(rough/v1): Complete.

Included Pokemon BST changes(rough/v1): Complete.

Included Pokemon type changes: Complete.

Included Pokemon Ability changes: For terrible abilities only.

Events/Trainers/Quests: Mt. Moon complete, Showdown in Sable City needs to be competed.
Test Runs/leveling curve: Basic test runs up to Brock(beaten) done for each starter. Leveled 3 Pokemon to Lvl 13, had three unleveled in party for each starter.

On a side note, Magnitude is a *****. +4 Def Squirtles beware.

Back