• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Unconditional love.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
I don't think so. I think you can choose to love someone, or not. I may be wrong though, my answer may change in ten years.
Well, going by my interpretation, you can certainly choose who you love unconditionally. It's about the way you love them, not who you love. So you can choose to love someone, right, and that love may be dependant on them doing something for you or giving some part of their life to you. Or that love could be unconditional and you love them for them, not for what they give to you. If that makes sense.

Thinking about it, it seems like the type of love given to fictional characters and celebrities often could fall into unconditional territory. Right?

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
Years
Sort of. You can break that unconditional love so it's technically not unconditional, but that's rare. Most things that are a problem I try to resolve with that person instead of stop loving them, because usually it's just not worth it. If they were doing something truly terrible like raping people or drowning puppies I'd probably be the first one to report them to the authorities, but I just don't see the people that I'm close to like that doing that.

Years
I don't know if I can answer this topic. I've never been close enough with anyone to love them unconditionally. Even my own parents; essentially my love for them can be stripped back to whether or not they feed me and keep a roof over my head.
To be unconditionally in love with someone sounds like a disaster waiting to happen in my opinion. Once you give someone leverage you can be damn sure they'll use it for whatever agenda they have with you.

Perhaps my pessimism towards nobility of people is why I set my standards so high, it's my defence mechanism against other me's I suppose.

Somniac

Probably sleeping.
Years
I'm a lover not a fighter.
I guess it's worth noting that I haven't had a single argument in my 5 year relationship, which a lot of people find really odd.

Lunarose

replaced by lies
Years
  • Seen Nov 26, 2020
Not exactly sure. I'm not the kind to wear my heart on my sleeve as they say. I might be capable if someone were to prove that they would be deserving of that unconditional love?

Saki

The Fire Fox
Years
I am 100% capable of unconditional love. I am not an overly affectionate person but I do know when I love someone (or love a pet haha) that won't change over a few flaws and bad arguments. I think it's healthy to love the right person unconditionally but I think it's hard to deal with and sometimes very hurtful to love people in such a way easily. I don't think trust issues are a good thing but I think you should be a bit logical (if possible) about who you love. :)

Faye Rose~

Resilient
Years
Yes.

I have already felt it even though they probably didn't deserve it. Unfortunately the other person did not share the same principles.

The way it works with me is if someone loves me I'll automatically love them back... it's just how I am.

Saki

The Fire Fox
Years
Yes.

I have already felt it even though they probably didn't deserve it. Unfortunately the other person did not share the same principles.

The way it works with me is if someone loves me I'll automatically love them back... it's just how I am.

It's not entirely bad to return feelings in that way! I am almost the opposite in that sometimes when people care for me I have a hard time allowing myself to care for them. It's a pretty deep thing to admit but given my current relationship I think I have improved upon it a bit.

I always tell people that being a loving person is a good thing and never to let someone make you regret that. :)

Demon Wolf

American Wolf
Years
Not to b a stinks but its not really real just an instinct of human mind that's what believe n also I give conditional because uncondional is the worst mental abuse worst than getting played just bout

Years
I think unconditional love probably exists. It might as well, at least, because some people have watched their loved ones literally kill and rape (and even consume) other human beings and stayed by their side, at least in spirit, through it. I don't know that "conditions" can escalate much more than that.

Myself, I don't think I could. I'm not sure I even love my parents that much. I mean, that sounds horrible, but I don't particularly cherish talking to them or care what they think, and if they made big enough mistakes I'd easily leave them behind.

Puddle

Mission Complete✔
Years
I love my girlfriend pretty unconditionally :3. I don't always show it, but I really do. I think loving someone unconditionally really just means that you'd do anything to keep that person/thing happy as can be. I try and do that for my girlfriend, so yeah :3

Fernbutter

Murder is the way.
Years
Tough question. Bottom line? Yes.

I can be a little, uhh... hard to keep? But I prefer making other people happy instead of myself so yeah actually, I can love another person unconditionally If I really wanted to. Sometimes I prefer not clinging on to somebody, maybe that's just because I haven't found the right person yet, which I am hoping I will, soon enough.

Trev

[span="font-size: 8px; color: white;"][font="Monts
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 15, 2023
YES. SWEET JAYSUS YES. OH MY GOD. IT IS SO POSSIBLE AND IT SUCKS BUT IT'S AWESOME BUT DON'T DO IT BUT DO IT IF YOU'RE CERTAIN BUT NOT IF YOU AREN'T AND SERIOUSLY IT'S GREAT UNLESS YOU DO IT WRONG JUST LOVE CORRECTLY AND IT'S SO COOL I JUST

No, all love is conditional. Katy Perry is a fool if she thinks otherwise.

Never speak ill of Katy. >_>

Years
I think I'm able to love unconditionally. No matter who it is, and regardless of how introverted I actually am, I am grateful for the people who stick around and continue to be there for me whenever I need them. I try not to take advantage of their friendship or take them for granted for they could be gone the next day. Relationship-wise, it still sticks. I'm the type of person who makes sure my significant other is happy and comfortable, even at the sacrifice of my own well-being. I guess I like being a caregiver, but to a certain extent :P

Kawaii Shoujo Duskull

The Cutest Duskull
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Sep 10, 2023
Unconditional love does exist.
Yes, it can be a bad thing. As has been previously stated, people have gone to horrible lengths with loved ones and didn't turn back.

It can be good too. Obviously there's the parents thing, though loving your parents unconditionally depends on a ton of things and not everyone can love their parents unconditionally.
In terms of other people(lovers for example). Yes. Definitely. Unconditional love exists for sure. Its great, the feeling of somebody being there, and the feeling of having somebody to be there for. There's no feeling like having that one reason to keep pushing forward and living on. You feel like there's an invisible thread binding you, too, like you can feel them there when you really love each other.
But it can be bad there too. Sometimes it turns into unhealthy obsession. Other times somebody may get their heart broken so badly it ruins their trust in others but they can only find themselves back at the feet of that one person trying to help them in some way.

Tl;dr - Unconditional love is real. It can be very very good or very very bad.

Back