• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Monotype Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volga

The Dragon Knight
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Mar 19, 2023
It's been almost a year since I finished this run, is there a reason it's not being marked off?

I've been very slowly updating it. Though with that specific post it should be marked already, I must have missed it. I'll update it next time I get the chance.

Years
Ultra Sun Water Monotype - Update #5

Spoiler:

Team:
Spoiler:

Last edited:

tommyeatsdonuts

Proffesional Donut Eater
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Mar 26, 2024
Forum User Name: tommyeatsdonuts
Game(s): UltraSun
Pokémon Type: Ghost
Single/Ultimate/Free Mode?: Single Run

Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2023
So I finally found a Platinum cart to replace the one I lost.

Forum User Name: Cymry
Game: Platinum
Pokémon Type: Normal
Single/Ultimate/Free Mode?: Single

Getting off to a good start. My third encounter in this run and on this cart.

Iu4z1Do.jpg

I love her.

Current Team: Just after Eterna gym

Spoiler:

Years
Ultra Sun Water Monotype - Update #6 - Final Update*

Spoiler:

The Final Team!
Spoiler:

Final playing time: 35:39 - I did do a little bit of training at more points than one, most notably when I added Ripple to the team. But I'm happy with this.

* unless I opt to do the Team Rainbow Rocket stuff, which I may do after I get shiny Blacephalon.

tommyeatsdonuts

Proffesional Donut Eater
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Mar 26, 2024
Ultra Sun Ghost Run

o0o0o0o0o0o0o

Island 1
Spoiler:

Team
Spoiler:

tommyeatsdonuts

Proffesional Donut Eater
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Mar 26, 2024
Ultra Sun Ghost Run

Oogaahh booogahh

Island 2
Spoiler:

Team
Spoiler:

Years
Ultra Sun Water Monotype - Update #7 - Team Rainbow Rocket (plus post-game Poni Island)

Spoiler:

The Final Team!
Spoiler:

Final playing time: 40:55 - Not counting the multiple tries it took some opponents. I did all of this with no bag items in any battle, and Set mode, so that should count for something. I enjoyed this team, they all served me very well I'd say.

MasterofMasters

Kim Jong yeah, Big Bombs
Years
Forum User Name: MasterofMasters
Game(s): Emerald
Pokémon Type: Rock

--

My bad for reposting -- thought I didn't save my game so I was like screw it and delete, but just looked and saw I actually saved.

MasterofMasters

Kim Jong yeah, Big Bombs
Years
--

Emerald Rock-type Run Update #1

Spoiler: Progress

Got past the first gym leader and right before the 2nd with just my starter. Thankfully there were some rock-types in Granite Cave right next to the 2nd gym, to where I picked up an Aron and Geodude. So now i'm currently running through the 2nd gym..It's really difficult since it's a fighting type, so i've hit a road block really early on in this run. I'm not really sure how i'm gonna overcome this gym but I guess we'll find out by the 2nd update.

Spoiler: Team

Spr_3e_074.png

Sledge (Geodude)
Level 13
Tackle | Defense Curl | Mud Sport | Rock Throw

Spr_3e_304.png

Colossus (Aron)
Level 13
Metal Claw | Harden | Mud Slap | Headbutt

MasterofMasters

Kim Jong yeah, Big Bombs
Years

Rock-type Run on Pokemon Emerald UPDATE #1

This is techically update #2. When I posted the first one yesterday it says it was pending for review. I see it's still not up yet..

Badges: 4
Play time: 13:06

I went through the first gym in Rustboro and all the way up before the 2nd one in Dewford with just my starter. When I got on dewford I went to Granite Cave to pick up a Geodude and an Aron. Since this gym was a fighting-type, it was impossible for my rock-type team to beat it at it's current strength, so instead of clearing the 2nd gym I continued with the main storyline and decided i'd come back when i'm stronger. With that I went to slateport, beat all the trainers on the beach, continued up north past Slateport past the biking road, route 103, etc. and all the way up to Mauville City. I got a Mach bike there and figured i'm strong enough to beat the 2nd gym. I went all the way back down to Dewford and beat the gym, went all the way back up to Mauville and beat their gym. This is around the time where my Geodude evolved to a Graveler.

This is the time I used my universal randomizer so I can evolve my Graveler w/o trading, with that he will evolve to Golem at level 37.

I went west to Verandurf to beat all those trainers then up north to route 111. Then I went through 112 and then to Fiery Path, to which I picked up my Slugma. Went past 113 to Fallarbor. Then west to 114, then into Meteor falls. Had that team magma situation and back to Rustboro. Then I went east into Rustoruf tunnel into Verdanturf, back into Mauville then got to the cable cars. (As you can see I went in circles.) Took the meteorite in the computer and then went south to Lavaridge town. This is where I got the 4th gym badge. After Flannery gave me Overheat.

Since Slugma was struggling to catch up with Graveler and Aron (About a 5 level gap) due to a lack of damage I gave him Overheat so hopefully he can catch up easier. Now since I got the go-goggles after the 4th gym I went to the Mirage tower in route 111. I got the Claw fossil so I can hopefully turn it into an Anorith and have him as my 4th team member.

Spr_3e_305.png

Colossus (Lairon)
Level 32
Iron Tail | Iron Defense | Mud-Slap | Headbutt

Spr_3e_075.png

Sledge (Graveler)
Level 31
Tackle | Self Destruct | Magnitude | Rock Throw

Spr_3e_218.png

Magma (Slugma)
Level 25
Yawn | Harden | Overheat | Rock Throw

Last edited:

MasterofMasters

Kim Jong yeah, Big Bombs
Years

Rock-type Run on Emerald Update #2

Badges: 6
Time: 23:56

So I went back to Rustboro city to give the Devon Corp. Guy the Claw Fossil. He said come back later cause the machine takes a while. With that I continue with the storyline and go to Petalburg city to fight the gym. I cleared it.

At this point I got surf now and I've been meaning to explore the abandoned ship around Dewford so I went to explore it a little. I gave up after a little, went back to Rustboro to collect my 4th team member, Coconut (Anorith.)

I went through Route 117 and 118, and upwards to the weather institute (I think the name is). I cleared all the Team Plasma members in there. Then I got out continued across the bridge to encounter my rival and fight her.

Her Grovyle wiped Sledge and Colossus, but then Magma came in with the clutch and did some Yawn + Overheat. Her other Pokemon though I wiped. This is where Sledge evolved into Golem.

I continued into Fortree City for the next gym, but something invisible was blocking the way so I continued past it. I ran into Steven and got the Devon scope from him so now I can pass through the invisible blockages (They're Keckleons.)

This gym (Winona) is the first gym so far to legit beat me. Though by the 2nd match I learned from my mistakes. Magma could apply super-effective damage to her Skarmory and Tropius. Altaria was scary though, but Sledge's rock blast did wonders. Although her earthquake was hitting hard I had to use a few super potions or Sledge wouldn't have survived. Pelipper wasn't too bad, the confusion was a little annoying. I just let Sledge use his Rock blast to take care of it quickly. Lastly, Swablu. I just gave that to Colossus since he's the odd one out this fight. (Coconut is way too weak so I can't count him in)

After beating her this is where Magma evolved into Magcargo.

I went east and then south to route 111 and then to route 112. This is where I passed Safari Zone and noticed I can get a Rhyhorn here. So I'm gonna go to Lilycove and get the Pokeblock case, and come back for my Rhyhorn as he will be my 5th team member.

At this point I want my Anorith to catch up before I progress (He's in the early level 20s while the rest of my team are all nearly level 40.) So I plan on backtracking to weaker areas to let him catch up.

Spr_3e_076.png

Sledge [Golem]
Level 39
Tackle | Self Destruct | Magnitude | Rock Blast

Spr_3e_305.png

Colossus [Lairon]
Level 39
Iron Tail | Iron Defense | Protect | Headbutt

Spr_3e_219.png

Magma [Magcargo]
Level 39
Yawn | Flamethrower | Overheat | Rock Throw

Spr_3e_347.png

Coconut
Level 22
Rock Smash | Harden | Mud Sport | Water Gun

Last edited:
Years
Idk if I'm doing this right, but here goes:
Forum User Name: James and Eevee
Games: Fire Red, Soul Silver, Ruby, Pearl, White 2, X(0/8), and Ultra Moon
Type: Poison
Challenge Type: Ultimate
If you need anything else, just ask.

EDIT: Can I use Volt White 2 and Storm Silver for an extra challenge?

Last edited:
Years
Forum User Name: Whallan
Pokémon Type: Poison

First Update:

Started the game and chose mudkip.

Took me two attempts to get a Cascoon wurmple.

Did a bit of grinding on the way to the first gym, including stocking up on X items and heals.

Managed to beat Roxxane with only a Dustox, lots of hardens, an X special, and super potions were necessary.

Saved Peeko and headed to Dewford town where I obtained an old rod to catch myself a Tentacool.

Found a Zubat on the way to Steven which was another member of my team.

After seeing Steven I headed to Slateport where I defeated Team Aqua and headed north to catch an Oddish.

Spr_3r_041.png

Nora Lv 10 Exp. Share
- Leech Life
- Supersonic
- Steel Wing

Spr_3r_269.png

Nox 2 Lv 19
- Gust
- Confusion
- Poison Sting
- Protect

Spr_4d_043.png

Cassandra Lv 13 Miracle Seed
- Absorb
- Sweet Scent

Spr_3r_072.png

Man O'War Lv 13
- Poison Sting
- Supersonic
- Cut
- Constrict

Last edited:
Years
Games: Fire Red, Storm Silver(0/16), Ruby, Pearl, Volt White 2, X(0/8), and Ultra Moon
I decided to try and do two games at the same time, so here goes:
X:
- Started the game and chose my starter, Froakie
- Got through the boring stuff and finally caught my first pokemon, a Weedle
- Evolved Weedle and got out of the forest
- Got to Santalune, and realized that I won't be able to get my next pokemon until after the gym.(I think)
That's all I've done so far, because my DS died. I'm in for a long grinding session
The Team:
Needle the Kakuna, Lvl 9
Naughty Nature
- Poison Sting
- String Shot
- Harden

Last edited:
Years
Games: Fire Red, Storm Silver(0/16), Ruby, Pearl, Volt White 2, X(1/8), and Ultra Moon
Update #2
- Finally beat Viola with just Beedrill
- Got the Exp. Share, and my next partner a Budew which I named Domino
- Also caught a Combee to make catching some other team members easier using Sweet Scent
- Got to Lumiose City, and the Professor's Lab
- Beat the Professor's starters, and chose Bulbasaur from him. He also gave me the Venusaurite
Team:
Needle(Beedrill) @ Poison Barb
Lvl 17. Ability: Swarm
- Twineedle
- Poison Sting
- Fury Attack
- Focus Energy

Domino(Budew) @ Nothing
Lvl 12. Ability: Poison Point
- Absorb
- Growth
- Stun Spore
- Water Sport

Falafel(Bulbasaur) @ No Item
Lvl 10. Ability: Overgrow
- Vine Whip
- Leech Seed
- Tackle
- Growl
Others:
Combee for Sweet Scent(boxed)
Froakie as a starter(boxed)

Last edited:
Years
- I defeated Brawly then back to Slateport to battle May.
- Defeated May without much trouble and went on to catch a Gulpin
- Trained up all my pokemon before taking on Watson. Evolved both Oddish and Gulpin.
- After a few failed attempts I managed to finally down all of Watson's pokemon.

Spr_3r_317.png

Bryce Lv 28
- Amnesia
-Yawn
-Acid
-Rock Smash
Spr_3r_041.png

Nora Lv 20
- Leech Life
- Supersonic
- Steel Wing