• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The 802 Challenge

Years
  • Seen Jan 12, 2021
This sounds like a blast.

Username: Smotemotem
Game: Heart Gold (I don't have a means to trade between 3rd-gen games, and I need that function for Machamp).
Team: Machamp, Rapidash, Slowbro, Magneton, Dodrio, Dewgong
Skipped Pokemon: Farfetch'd

Years
Username: LRachelR5
Game: Crystal
Team: Farfetch'd, Muk, Cloyster, Onix, Hypno, Kingler
Skipped pokemon: Gengar (no access to trade evolutions)

Years
  • Seen Jan 12, 2021
Thanks for approving me. I'm so excited to jump into this challenge!

Here's my progress:

Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 18, 2022
Alright, count me in!

Username: AimLess
Game: Volt White
Team: Gengar, Electrode, Exeggutor, Marowak, Hitmonlee, Lickitung
Skipped Pokemon: Hitmonchan

Daysonyx

I'm just a little bit of a derp
Years
I'd also like to join!

Username: Daysonyx
Game: Platinum
Team: Hitmonchan, Weezing, Rhydon, Tangela, Kangaskhan, Seadra
Skipped: Chansey
(so many of my team get evolutions in gen 4 but i cant use the evolution XD) (i assume at least)

Daysonyx

Years
Update!

I'm Cheating in Hitmonchan, a Koffing, Horsea, and Kanghaskhan because their only available after the national dex/not available at all. I'll be catching a Rhyhorn and Tangela legitly though. (also, by 'cheat in' i mean I'm using codes that cause the particular pokemon to appear in a wild grass encounter, so i still have to use normal pokeballs to catch it :) ) ((kanghaskhan is gonna be a Pain....))

I currently have a lvl 2 Hitmonchan named Pevom with Revenge and Comet Punch, and with Iron Fist.
Will update after 1st gym with the other 4 :D

Daysonyx

Years
Update #1!

Spoiler:

The team so far!

Spoiler:

Years
  • Seen Jan 12, 2021
Glad to see this challenge picking up so much steam so early. I've played a bunch this weekend, but I haven't stopped to update for a few days. Big update ahead.

Part 2:
Spoiler:

Current Team:
Spoiler:

Daysonyx

Years
This...is gonna be a long one :P

Spoiler:

Years
  • Seen Jan 12, 2021
Quick update: I tried to post a more detailed update yesterday, but I think the post got auto-flagged for admin review. Anyway, I'm at Victory Road, but since it's Heart Gold, I still have a long way to go. The whole party is at about Lv 40, and they're in their fully-evolved (for the original dex anyway) forms.

Daysonyx

Years
Another update!
Spoiler:

Years
Second and final update's here :D I also added all new challengers and hope you'll enjoy the challenge

Progress:
Spoiler:

Team:
Spoiler:

And with that, I completed my own Challenge! I'll submit another run soon, but for now, it's time for another new Challenges

Last edited:
Years
UPDATE
Spoiler:

TEAM
Spoiler:

Years
  • Seen Jan 12, 2021
All done with my first leg of this challenge!
I plan to do more, but I'm not sure I'm ready to jump back in just yet.

Quick updates:
Spoiler:

Years
  • Seen Jan 12, 2021
All done with my first leg of this challenge!
I plan to do more, but I'm not sure I'm ready to jump back in just yet.

Quick updates
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jan 12, 2021
Actually, I think I do want to start back today.

Username: Smotemotem
Game: Red
Team: Chansey, Seaking, Starmie, Mr Mime, Jynx, Electabuzz
Skipped: Scyther

Daysonyx

Years
First update in awhile! Took a break for other games :P

Spoiler:

The team so far:

Spoiler:

Yeah, those images were FAR too big. Help meee XD id love to get the models from Serebii but i have no idea how. I'll edit and remove them if it doesn't show like i want it to.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 20
  • Seen Mar 2, 2020
Username: Fennekin101
Game: Sun
Team: Scyther, Magmar, Pinsir, Tauros, Gyarados, Lapras
Skipped: None

This challenge sounds like fun!

Years
  • Seen Jan 12, 2021
@Days - I've been linking to Pokemon Showdown sprites for some of my posts. If you Google it, you should be able to find their directory pretty quick.

So I bought Red on the Virtual Console today and started my new journey. I can't get my first Pokemon (Mr Mime) until around the time I reach Vermillion City, so I've been trying to play through the early part with just Bulbasaur. I beat Brock, I beat Misty, then I started working on the fights leading to Bill's house. My battery was about to give out, so I had to stop there for the night.

Team: Starter Ivysaur & trade fodder Abra.

Daysonyx

Years
@Smote Thank you for the help, ill keep that in mind for my next challenge post :)

Sadly, im putting this challenge on a semi-permanent hiatus. I just lost like 5 hours of progress due to a freaking save state mishap and i do not have the motivation to go through ALL OF THAT (including the Distortion World, which, on an emulator is a pain) again. I may return, but i make no promises about when that'd be.

HOWEVER, i absolutely loved this challenge and enjoy the concept, so i would like to post my thoughts on my pokemon with what i managed to get to, if i return to finish the platinum 802 challenge, ill make sure to attach it to this particular post.

Endemon was a beast once i got him thunderbolt and flamethrower. that and sludge meant he could deal with almost anything that came his way. Real shame that his Special defense stat was so...meh, compared to his great defense, but he could wall most physical attackers. Wish i'd gotten to see him face off against the ground elite four member (isn't her name bertha?) with levitate and (hopefully) leftovers/black sludge.

Pevom was AMAZING with his punching moves and coverage. I don't understand why everyone seems to dislike him, and im eternally grateful for the guy who skipped him, because the early game would've been much harder w/o Pevom (i cheated him in at Hitmonchan because getting a tyrogue to evolve into hitmonchan is really, really irritating and i didnt wanna have to cheat in 5 different tyrouges just to get one hitmonchan.

Alrecta proved to be, quite honestly, the MVP of the team. I never expected normal Kanghaskhan to prove so useful, and while she was walled by a few things (bronzor after she lost crunch) her Fake-Out+any of her other moves usually meant someone was being defeated. She also looked like my best bet for a special wall because of her HP and everyone elses relatively stihz special defense (my two highest SpD were Pevom and Alrecta, which is...interesting, but Alrecta did amazing when she got to wall special attacks ((golbats+crobats couldnt touch her HP in any meaningful way if they were using special attacks))

When i first got tangela, and it essentially soloed the fighting gym, i thought that he was gonna be the MVP of the team. After the water gym though, his lack of decent coverage (mega drain as his only attacking move until i got the sludge bomb tm was...bad, and even after Sludge Bomb, if it was a poison type, tangela couldn't do ANYTHING except set-up Reflect for someone else on the team) however, after the sludge bomb tm, while tangela was still walled by anything and everything that even resembled a poison type, sludge bomb let him deal crazy good damage to anything that didn't resist it, and killed anything that was weak to it.

Adei was rough to train. He died to anything special, and couldnt take water or grass type attacks at all. Luckily, however, once he evolved into rhydon, he became a much greater threat (especially with rock slide instead of the horrid rock blast), killing lots of things relatively easy. He could actually take one (1!) weaker grass or water type physical attack with a little bit of luck, and could withstand quite a few hits weaker ice type physical attacks with relative ease. still died to anything special but hey, can't have everything *shrug*

I loved Diadem from start to finish. She was a bit rough, and a bit squishy, but when she crit WOOO boy was something going down. Focus Energy let her take down things that would've resisted her attacks because of the increased crit chance wrecking anything that got crit and made them more frequent. Once she got surf and ice beam, along with hydro pump, she became REALLY good at breaking things down. and thats WITH an adamant nature ((i only caught one of each of the pokemon for the team, to kinda up the challenge a bit, if i got bad natures/IVs))

I may return to this platinum challenge in a few weeks, but for now im taking a break from platinum in general. I can't with all of that lost progress.

However, if the OP doesn't mind, id love to sign up for a second challenge w/ a different game (probably soul silver, i've always wanted to play that version (i had heart gold as a kid)), but i know that that could be a bit '??', so i'll wait for a response before signing up.

Back