• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Favorite main female companion

Who is your favorite main female companion in the anime?

• Misty (OS)

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • May (AG)

Votes: 7 7.3%
  • Dawn (DP)

Votes: 34 35.4%
  • Iris (BW)

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • Serena (XY)

Votes: 22 22.9%
  • Lillie (SM)

Votes: 6 6.3%

• Total voters
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Apr 21, 2018
I dont really dislike any of them honestly, they all sort of fill a similar niche in that they seem super friendly and nice but have a slight edge to their personalities that makes them memorable as characters.

I think I do like Misty more than the others, if only because she came off less like a damsel in distress and she needed a lot less hand holding than most of the other main female cast. The others felt like less of a third wheel than her, and you can tell the show tried to give the female sidekicks more importance in the shows by giving them goals and ambitions in the show but ultimately Ash is the one who would always take centre stage because thats just the way show works.

That isnt me throwing shade at the other female characters, its sort of just the way it is. I enjoy all of them for what they are though

Years
DAWN! I love her personality, she's compassionate, caring, and in my opinion is very realistic. She has phenomenal character development, displaying a lack of confidence and self worth in the beginning, which is refreshing because it makes her relatable. Throughout the series she grows increasingly confident in her abilities and becomes a total bad ass. Probably my favourite thing about her is how she pursued her own dream separate from Ash's, she wasn't his feeble, tag-a-long girlfriend, instead she had real purpose and independence which I love. Also, she has an amazing pokemon team and I loved seeing her compete in pokemon contests. In my opinion, they were more enthralling than Ash's gym battles, and completely overshadowed them. Ultimately Dawn is strong, outgoing, beautiful, kind-hearted and just an amazing character that was my inspiration growing up as I've always connected with her. :)

On another note, I'm disappointed to see not a lot of love for May. Sure, she has her flaws, but she is easily my second favourite.

Another other note: I HATE IRIS, SHE'S THE WORST. SO ANNOYING AND STUPID, I'VE WANTED TO SLAP HER SO BAD. RUINED B&W.

Last edited:

Yotes

GameDev
Years
Nostalgia goggles might still be glued to my face, cuz I can't NOT pick Misty in any poll ever. But Dawn is a close second for me.

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
To think that when this topic started that Serena had a commanding lead but now Dawn has overtaken her and has padded her lead considerably. Goes to show the popularity of Diamond&Pearl or Generation IV overall.

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
Serena , I miss you<3333333333333

Well, if she's coming back, its going to be happening sometime soon. May returned in Episode 75 of Diamond&Pearl(which happens to be the number of today's Episode) while Dawn didn't return until Episode 85 in Black&White. Given that the Episodes for 76 through 78 have already been announced, I'd peg her return(if it happens!!) from Episode 80 to 85. Granted if Dawn's return is any indication, she didn't return until after Ash had completed the Black&White Gyms. May follow the same pattern in Sun&Moon since its likely Ash will beat Nanu in Episode 77 for his 3rd Grand Trial win. If he quickly runs over to Poni for Trial#4, he could be done by Episode 85 for Serena's return.

Anyways, I remember when this topic had 30 votes. Roughly 50 votes later and like half of them went to Dawn. Crazy support right there. Still dismayed by the lack of support for May(she's better than what people think).

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
Well, if she's coming back, its going to be happening sometime soon. May returned in Episode 75 of Diamond&Pearl(which happens to be the number of today's Episode) while Dawn didn't return until Episode 85 in Black&White. Given that the Episodes for 76 through 78 have already been announced, I'd peg her return(if it happens!!) from Episode 80 to 85. Granted if Dawn's return is any indication, she didn't return until after Ash had completed the Black&White Gyms. May follow the same pattern in Sun&Moon since its likely Ash will beat Nanu in Episode 77 for his 3rd Grand Trial win. If he quickly runs over to Poni for Trial#4, he could be done by Episode 85 for Serena's return.

Anyways, I remember when this topic had 30 votes. Roughly 50 votes later and like half of them went to Dawn. Crazy support right there. Still dismayed by the lack of support for May(she's better than what people think).

Yeah, I doubt it. Let's not forget that Iris hadn't come back at all in XY, and she had been the most recent Pok?mon Girl to be present. Not to mention S&M's nearly over (for goodness sakes, by July they're pretty much finished with Generation VII via unveiling Zeraora, and will probably have some details on Generation VIII released by that point), so what are they going to do with Serena at this point? Besides, Serena's doing Pok?mon Contests in Hoenn currently, and I don't think Pok?mon Contests are even in Alola (they would have alluded to them by now if they did).

Anyways, if any Pokegirl is going to be reappearing in the near future, it's probably going to be Misty, mostly because she got a plushie back in March, and that was after the 20th Anniversary was pretty much over. Besides, she and Brock pretty much promised that they'll meet Ash in Alola, meaning they aren't finished in SM yet.

Last edited:

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
Yeah, I doubt it. Let's not forget that Iris hadn't come back at all in XY, and she had been the most recent Pok?mon Girl to be present. Not to mention S&M's nearly over (for goodness sakes, by July they're pretty much finished with Generation VII via unveiling Zeraora, and will probably have some details on Generation VIII released by that point), so what are they going to do with Serena at this point? Besides, Serena's doing Pok?mon Contests in Hoenn currently, and I don't think Pok?mon Contests are even in Alola (they would have alluded to them by now if they did).

Anyways, if any Pokegirl is going to be reappearing in the near future, it's probably going to be Misty, mostly because she got a plushie back in March, and that was after the 20th Anniversary was pretty much over. Besides, she and Brock pretty much promised that they'll meet Ash in Alola, meaning they aren't finished in SM yet.

Eh possibly but I foresee an end of the world arc coming with Team Rocket and Necrozma. Last time we had something similar to that was in Kalos with Zygarde and a particular Water starter that could Mega-Evolve. Wouldn't shock me if Serena was to return along with Greninja(wherein it becomes Ash's 6th Pokemon). Highly unlikely but you can't outright dismiss it.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
Kill me for this or whatever but I've always loved Iris.
No need for killing ^^ Refreshing to see someone have an unusual favorite. I think it's rather unusual that she is a fav, at least.

L'Belle

I am beauty!
Years
No need for killing ^^ Refreshing to see someone have an unusual favorite. I think it's rather unusual that she is a fav, at least.

I agree! The funny thing is, she is not all that different to Misty at all, yet the latter is incredibly popular, which I have just never understood.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
I agree! The funny thing is, she is not all that different to Misty at all, yet the latter is incredibly popular, which I have just never understood.
I guess Misty did it first, so Iris was a bit of a copy? XD even having her very young pok?mon being carried around, like Misty had Togepi.

L'Belle

I am beauty!
Years
I guess Misty did it first, so Iris was a bit of a copy? XD even having her very young pok?mon being carried around, like Misty had Togepi.

I didn't actually think that far, but I guess you could see it like that, haha. I just like girls like Iris and Misty a lot, but I like the former only slightly better than the latter. Both are fantastic and entertaining.

Years
  • Seen Jun 11, 2019

I'd rather she wouldnt return in this series.. I dont want her character to be ruined too by this horrible series

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
Eh possibly but I foresee an end of the world arc coming with Team Rocket and Necrozma. Last time we had something similar to that was in Kalos with Zygarde and a particular Water starter that could Mega-Evolve. Wouldn't shock me if Serena was to return along with Greninja(wherein it becomes Ash's 6th Pokemon). Highly unlikely but you can't outright dismiss it.

Yeah, I'm a bit doubtful about that, really. Besides, even if Serena does for whatever reason go to Alola, what would she do there? We don't want a repeat of Dawn in Unova.

Still, I'll acknowledge she's a bit more likely to reappear than Dawn or Iris, or May for that matter (and she has even less chances than those two due to KAORI basically doing what Hillary Duff did).

Kill me for this or whatever but I've always loved Iris.

Honestly? I actually think Iris is one of the better female leads myself, and a large part of that is in fact because she's similar to Misty, thinking that she came the closest to actually being a good successor to her. I'm also glad that she's actually ALLOWED to pursue her Dragon Pok?mon Master goal, which is much more than Misty was allowed to have, where her sisters forced her to put that goal on the backburner (I'll never forgive the writers for that). Like I said in my first post in this thread, I thought Iris was my second best Pok?mon female lead, after Misty, and certainly thought better of her than May or Dawn.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen May 28, 2019
I only ever liked Misty. Despite liking the idea of Iris - a bizarre wild girl who was also a badass dragon trainer - I couldn't actually stand her in practice, and she had awful cheesy dialogue in the dub. Lilly was alright in the Jap version, I enjoyed a lot of her scenes, especially when she's overcoming her Pokemon touching phobias, but again the Dub version seems to lack any kind of real emotion and doesn't appeal to me at all.

Dawn was my least favourite. Her clothing is so mis-matched (winter scarf, winter hat, winter boots, but then the shortest mini skirt in the world with nothing on her legs purely 'because anime') and she was just way too girly and squeal-y. I didn't like the running joke of her hair being messed up (because that's all girls have to worry about, right?) Serena was just like a more mature version of Dawn. At least May had independence despite being boring as tar?

Misty was tough, had lots of personality, was girly but also had a tomboyish temper and wasn't afraid to take the lead. She was emotional but hid it most the time, and caring but put on a tough exterior. Plus she had a great dynamic with Pikachu which was adorable.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen May 21, 2018
I only ever liked Misty. Despite liking the idea of Iris - a bizarre wild girl who was also a badass dragon trainer - I couldn't actually stand her in practice, and she had awful cheesy dialogue in the dub. Lilly was alright in the Jap version, I enjoyed a lot of her scenes, especially when she's overcoming her Pokemon touching phobias, but again the Dub version seems to lack any kind of real emotion and doesn't appeal to me at all.

Dawn was my least favourite. Her clothing is so mis-matched (winter scarf, winter hat, winter boots, but then the shortest mini skirt in the world with nothing on her legs purely 'because anime') and she was just way too girly and squeal-y. I didn't like the running joke of her hair being messed up (because that's all girls have to worry about, right?) Serena was just like a more mature version of Dawn. At least May had independence despite being boring as tar?

Misty was tough, had lots of personality, was girly but also had a tomboyish temper and wasn't afraid to take the lead. She was emotional but hid it most the time, and caring but put on a tough exterior. Plus she had a great dynamic with Pikachu which was adorable.

Firstly I respect your opion, but I disagree with what you said about May, Dawn and Serena.

How is Misty way more exciting then May?
May had great development and entred loads of contests, Misty barley did anything towards her goal.

And Serena is not more mature then Dawn, Serena went on a journey just to find a boy she had only known for 2 mins. Serena would have been hopeless if she was journeying by herself, Serena was afraid to even get a little dirty.
Dawn is much more mature then Serena. Dawn was pretty much the only Female to get the role of co star and Dawn was mature enough to make her own decisions while journeying.
And about her hair, she wanted it to look good, because if she had gone out in public with spikey up hair, people would have stared at her and thought she was lazy.
And who cares about Dawn's outfit, Dawn had brillaint development and a brillaint bond with Ash and personality.

I respect your opion about the characters though.

Last edited:

L'Belle

I am beauty!
Years
Firstly I respect your opion, but I disagree with what you said about May, Dawn and Serena.

How is Misty way more exciting then May?
May had great development and entred loads of contests, Misty barley did anything towards her goal.

And Serena is not more mature then Dawn, Serena went on a journey just to find a boy she had only known for 2 mins. Serena would have been hopeless if she was journeying by herself, Serena was afraid to even get a little dirty.
Dawn is much more mature then Serena. Dawn was pretty much the only Female to get the role of co star and Dawn was mature enough to make her own decisions while journeying.
And about her hair, she wanted it to look good, because if she had gone out in public with spikey up hair, people would have stared at her and thought she was lazy.
And who cares about Dawn's outfit, Dawn had brillaint development and a brillaint bond with Ash and personality.

I respect your opion about the characters though.

It all comes down to 'Opinions'

Back