• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Music Are CD's outdated?

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
Curious about this.

As we continue to enter a world with streaming services like Spotify and Pandora, how many of you still buy and use CD's? Records, even? Do you think these methods of listening to music are outdated?

EC

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 1, 2022
I don't think they are outdated, but because I don't have a CD drive anymore, I won't buy them unless Amazon also offers AutoRip with them. I usually only buy them if they are cheaper than the MP3 album.

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
Years
I still have mine. They hold a lot of memories for me. In fact, I actually just ripped songs off them for my phone. :3 I agree with EC... they might be, but I think some people find them as collector's items as well. You really don't see anyone talking about them anymore tbh. It's all about those music sharing places now, like iTunes.

Last edited:

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
I bought a CD like two years ago and then had to buy an entire external optical drive so I could read it on anything and that's when I decided I'd never buy CDs again. @_@

Kai

Wayfarer
Years
The CD isn't outdated. It's just being phased out since computers are being made without CD drives and accessing or storing digital content is more convenient.

On rare occasions I'll buy a CD.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Feb 9, 2024
I don't remember the last time I bought a CD...though I still have all of my old ones hiding somewhere.

Sawsbuck

used Jump Kick! It's super effective!
Years
NEVER

CDs > digital

More uses and they are cheaper than MP3
I just bought another 7 CDs yesterday and I have at least 150 total
It's much better than paying $10 a month for something like Spotify

I can play them in the car and rip them to my computer to put on my phone
Screenshot_20181214-211822~01.png

Last edited:

Trev

[span="font-size: 8px; color: white;"][font="Monts
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 15, 2023
Yes. I can pay $10 a month for Spotify premium and get access to literally damn near anything I want, and can organize it into playlists however I want, and can access it from multiple devices. I don't even have a CD drive on my computer and I'm much happier without it. Bring on that digital era, henny.

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen today
Based on the idea that CDs, at least music CDs, don't occupy a special place in the heart of audiophiles and that the regular person doesn't care beyond mere digital accessibility, they are becoming outdated. Like... vinyl's comeback is due to its status as bringing a quality to sound that you don't get with CDs, and digitally stored music is of a quality that barely differs from CDs to the ears of the average listener. They're still relevant on a artistic and perhaps technological level depending on what purpose you need them for, and they'll continue to be made while personal home stereos without digital capacities are still hanging around, but I don't see CD having the same kind of nostalgic comeback nor applicability that defines our other musical options.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
I have not touched an actual music CD in probably over a decade, so...
Same. They became outdated the year Spotify and other streaming became widespread. Actually, even before that. When I was 14 ish, we used "mp3 players" hahah. Wow, they were so cool and only existed in the few gap years between the invention of digital music downloads and the evolution of smartphones. Them were the days!

Bay

Years
I also haven't bought a CD in several years. I tend to only like a few songs from an album anyways, so I vastly prefer getting them through digital means.

Funny mp3 players are mentioned as those are starting to get out of style too, sort of. You can still have your songs on your phone/tablet, but Spotify and such you can download as apps so that's a thing.

Taemin

move.
Years
  • Age 36
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
I buy some CDs just because I like owning physical copies, but it's moot point in a way, because I just end up uploading the music to iTunes...
So I could just buy it digitally to begin with, tbh. lol
Sometimes I do.

Cay

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Mar 11, 2022
yes. i cant even play them in my car. the future is now baby

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
CD's from a music standpoint are becoming outdated with online platforms taking over. iTunes, and to a lesser degree Napster and other online music platforms at the time, destroyed Tower Records. CD's will still have a role to play since people are resistant to change but in time they will go away like that of the 8-Track and Cassettes. In terms of Computers, they're still required as unbelievable as that may seem with USB drives making OS installation a breeze but Recovery, if memory serves, is still done via CD-ROM. When that stops is when the CD will cease to exist since there's a market now for taking older games(that ran on CD) and porting them to modern OS to run without CD while remastering them at the same time.

Years
My dad and i had always purchased pirated CD stuff from Flea Market, we purchased a lot of eletronic music and they we're amazing and instantly fell in love with it until the rise of streaming service has allowed more music for newer generations to litsen to it.

I still download MP3 as an torrent from time to time.

I know one country that is unwilling to enter the streaming music is Japan.

Here is the article: https://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/17/...ing-japan-resists-move-to-digital-music-.html

(sorry for my poor English)

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Oct 9, 2023
My dad and i had always purchased pirated CD stuff from Flea Market, we purchased a lot of eletronic music and they we're amazing and instantly fell in love with it until the rise of streaming service has allowed more music for newer generations to litsen to it.

I still download MP3 as an torrent from time to time.

I know one country that is unwilling to enter the streaming music is Japan.

Here is the article: https://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/17/...ing-japan-resists-move-to-digital-music-.html

(sorry for my poor English)

That's actually really interesting information, thanks for sharing! I'd guess with how much Japan loves idols and performances, they sure also love collectibles and actual stuff, it makes sense and it's also amazing that the CD Market is still alive.

As for me, I buy some CDs of stuff I love. Use them in the car and stuff.

Back