• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Community Hack [Discussion]

Would you help make a Community Hack?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blah

Free supporter
Years
Then again, how about making one team member being a private tutor for ones interested in helping out? If a newbie would like to help out with the process, s/he would be qualified by "taking lessons" from this private tutor of the team. This tutor wouldn't even have to do a whole lot; pointing out interesting articles, showing examples and that way make the newbie learn enough to be able to actually help out.
Interesting idea, but people are lazy quite frankly. There are also people who have he mentality of, "I did it the hard way, so should they". Anyway I like the idea, and maybe people could just make videos (with commentary pls :D) of them doing specific things for the hack. I.E when you're inserting some graphic explain what you're doing and why while you do it.

Besides, what's the point of letting a person without the desire to learn participate in the project? One not even a least bit interested to learn shouldn't be creating rom hacks in the first place.
Wise words my wise friend, wise words.

Well i don't know if there is any "free space" left in the team but i would really like to participate :) I'm not that specialized in mapping though :( but i really like being creative with pokémon/attacks so if pokémon/attacks from other generations or even custom (I'm not that good at spriting sadly) i would really like to help :) Also I really like animating custom or gen VI/V attacks and would also do this :)
Vote, participate, learn, profit!

No, no tutoring. If people want to learn they can do it on their own time. Having to teach someone how to program/map/whatever will only take up more time, be more disorganized, and isn't really fair to everyone else because statistically speaking, the beginner's quality will not be as good.
Not always true, like I said you can make a video while you do something. Easy-mode, you don't even need to write stuff like in guides.

Also, here's what we have to do before even starting, imo:
1. Agree on one solid leader (DARTHATRON PLS ;-;)
2. Choose categorical leaders -- someone like Chaos Rush would be great for graphics, or Gira for music, for example. Maybe we don't even need this. A better idea may even be that there's one leader/coordinator, and everyone else works in pairs for a certain category, sharing the burden.
3. Get some sort of chat so people can communicate more easily. Skype would be best, but there's also AIM or Xat (an internet chat, you don't have to download anything. It can be made private).

But you know, if people like Darthatron/Chaos/Gira don't want to/can't do it, I'm not sure the quality of the hack will be that great. If people are serious about this, then we definitely want all good people, or else the bad will drag everyone else down. Harsh, yeah, but true.

Some things I agree something I don't. Point 2 is not really something that needs to be set and static. These people haven't even volunteered themselves. Chaos Rush, Gira? No offense to these obviously handsome gentlemen, but I don't know who they are and I'm sure there are other people who are good at what they do. Though outside of mentioning static people to do roles, I agree with this.
Point 3 is good. Real chat system is nice and people can workout things faster.

I'm not applying for leader so ill stick to "I think" i think. =p
LOL.

-----------

Funny and unsuccessful past threads on the topic:

They didn't get off the ground at all. I think the most important reason as to why was organisation and everyone being allergic to the idea. What's really holding us back right now is moderator confirmation. I think we all agree that 20-something people (which will grow later, even right now 20 is a big group) is enough and that we should start a leader vote. So if you can kind moderator, maybe a change in poll and start the application process? :)

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
Vote, participate, learn, profit!
You forgot "???" in between "learn" and "profit"!

No, no tutoring. If people want to learn they can do it on their own time. Having to teach someone how to program/map/whatever will only take up more time, be more disorganized, and isn't really fair to everyone else because statistically speaking, the beginner's quality will not be as good.
Not always true, like I said you can make a video while you do something. Easy-mode, you don't even need to write stuff like in guides.
Well, if we did the "workshop" system then it wouldn't be disorganized at all, and it'd definitely be helpful. Alternatively, we could create a Tutor Sect made up of 1 (or a couple) hacker of a specific specialization to help tutor those who want to learn. And, if we were to go further with that, that sect could hold short lessons (in the form of threads or some sort of chat) to teach potential hackers on a larger scale.

Darthatron

巨大なトロール。
Years
Okay, I formally nominate myself for the leadership role. I think we're at the stage of voting for the leader aswell. If possible, I think a mod should change the poll in this thread.

Shiny Quagsire

I'm Still Alive, Elsewhere
Years
I like the idea of a public hack where everyone contributes. However, some sort of website that accepts pull requests for new features *might* be a good idea, so that we can view different changes and stuff that everyone contributes in an organized manner. We also need a set in stone storyline/characters so that we don't have people going all over the place with stuff.

As for support, I'll nominate mehself as an ASM Hacker. As long as it isn't any insane ASM mods I'm OK. (That's Jambo51's job. :P)

Years
When this gets going, I'll offer myself as a mapper and/or scripter. I don't have a TON of experience, but I can get at least moderate stuff done.

And for what it's worth, I also nominate/vote for Darthatron.

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
Years
Alrighty then, we have 27 people who have at least registered interest in the idea during the past few days so that should be more than enough to give some motion to this idea. After voting for the leader is complete I think we should move on to gathering the rest of the core members, those who are extremely well versed in one or two areas so they can give some more specific guidance to the project.

Are there any more nominations for leader? Don't be afraid to put yourself forward if you think you can pull it off!

Edit: I'll put my name down while I'm at it.

Okay, I formally nominate myself for the leadership role. I think we're at the stage of voting for the leader aswell. If possible, I think a mod should change the poll in this thread.

I can't put up a poll until we have everything in order :P

Last edited:

tajaros

Hi I'm dawg
Years
I don't know though but I can be the scripter for the game I guess I already have proof with my XSE tutorial ...

Yeah Leader Darth FTW! xD

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
Years
If we're going to have 'leaders' of aspects I'd like to put myself down for Mapping, Scripting and/or Tile Inserting. (Not as the main leader though, I have my own hack to worry about.)

hinkage

Everyone currently in an argument with this member
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 24, 2024
If we're going to have 'leaders' of aspects I'd like to put myself down for Mapping, Scripting and/or Tile Inserting. (Not as the main leader though, I have my own hack to worry about.)

I would like to do mapping and scripting as well. Although, I'd prefer to head mapping since I like it best, and design matters a lot to me. I could be "leader" for scripting, I've plenty of experience in and out of Pokemon, but it's pretty universal and anyone could do it. I wouldn't mind helping out a bit on the side, though.

I'm starting to kinda get more into this idea, lulz.

Blah

Free supporter
Years
For everyone wanting to run for a leader position:

Can you perhaps give a reason as to why you're interested in the spot and tell us a bit of what you can do. It'll help with the decision process and it can greatly change the votes in your favor ;)
Also maybe citing some of your work would be nice (for users like myself who don't know everyone very well).

Shiny Quagsire

Years
So I nominate myself as the ASM leader. Although I'm not sure if that's really a leadership-ish position, or one that needs leadership for that matter.

As for why I'd like to be leader, I mostly want to see some quality in this hack, and script-based cheapo solutions in the game isn't something I like to see in hacks. As such, I'd like to improve the overall aspect of the game. Currently regarding ASM I'm working on making epic cut scenes using C with the help of Mastermind_X's Ruins of Alph source code.

shinyabsol1

Pokemon DarkJasper!?
Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2022
I could help with any of the areas relating to graphics. I can insert tiles, palettes, world maps etc.... Also, I can map if it's needed. I hesitate to say that I am a "great" mapper, but I'm certainly capable of doing a good job. Proof of skills if you need it.

Probably not for a leader position though.

DrFuji said:
Are there any more nominations for leader?

I vote for Darthatron.

Shiny Quagsire

Years
I nominate Darthatron. He's definately someone that can direct this show.

I'm still curious, what patching format should we use? I'm thinking just a simple diff will do, so we can see the modified data if needed. Also, I'm still curious as to how we're going to organize different additions to the hack. Would we have a separate site dedicated to it, or something more integrated into the forums, like a section for it. Without organization, this idea will shrivel away very quickly. I was thinking something similar to GitHub, where different additions are submitted as pull requests, and the modifications are pulled in based on approval.

marcc5m

what
Years
I could help with mapping, tile inserting and some spriting. Hey, if I'm not going to get off my arse and work on my own hack I might as well help out with this.

EDIT: And I nominate Darthatron as leader.

Blah

Free supporter
Years
I think only Darthatron and DrFuji wanted to run for group leader. We've also got a bunch of people wanted to be leaders of certain fields. First issue is the group leader of course.

When are we going to start the vote? I mean, if you haven't nominated yourself for the job yet then you're either not visiting this thread often enough or you're too shy/scared (in both cases you're not fit for leader).

After we sort out group leader we can look at different fields of hacking that needs filling.

EDIT: Darthatron for President.

Years
  • Seen Mar 20, 2013
Hey there folks,

As a lurker to the forum with little experience in hacking I just wanted to give a little input as I'm one of the people keeping an eye on this topic without much to add, really!

It sounds like a great idea to see a community lead project like this and I'd be really eager to see where you run with it. Of course there are a lot of issues with having quite a large group to work on one project but with great leadership, a passionate team and great organisation I can't see why it couldn't be done!

Best wishes to those of you who take the rope on this one, looking forward to seeing your progress and hopefully some results in the future.

-Kima

Jim Boob

Freelance Mapper
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Dec 7, 2016
I think only Darthatron and DrFuji wanted to run for group leader. We've also got a bunch of people wanted to be leaders of certain fields. First issue is the group leader of course.

When are we going to start the vote? I mean, if you haven't nominated yourself for the job yet then you're either not visiting this thread often enough or you're too shy/scared (in both cases you're not fit for leader).

After we sort out group leader we can look at different fields of hacking that needs filling.

EDIT: Darthatron for President.

This, I think its time someone changes the poll, although the outcome does seem to be pretty certain all ready.

hinkage

Everyone currently in an argument with this member
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 24, 2024
The vote is obviously like 99% Darthatron, so let's just move on to categorical leaders.

Blah

Free supporter
Years
Hey there folks,

As a lurker to the forum with little experience in hacking I just wanted to give a little input as I'm one of the people keeping an eye on this topic without much to add, really!

It sounds like a great idea to see a community lead project like this and I'd be really eager to see where you run with it. Of course there are a lot of issues with having quite a large group to work on one project but with great leadership, a passionate team and great organisation I can't see why it couldn't be done!

Best wishes to those of you who take the rope on this one, looking forward to seeing your progress and hopefully some results in the future.

-Kima

I had a feeling there were a few lurkers looking around, nice to see one say something :P
You don't have to help us, but it'll be a good experience for you if you do decide to help out.

This, I think its time someone changes the poll, although the outcome does seem to be pretty certain all ready.

I agree, poll change!

The vote is obviously like 99% Darthatron, so let's just move on to categorical leaders.

Not true, the hipsters are beginning to think Darthatron is too mainstream!
lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back