• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Oct 23, 2015
OKAY

This is mainly for gogojjtech, but I'm hoping that he will be able to answer this for me because I'm stumped.

There's that one fix for FireRed that allows the game to play 12 DS channels. I figured out, in theory, how to do the same for all games that use the Sappy engine. However! If you look through the Sappy doc you'll find this little bit here:

"However, there is many issues when changing it. When actually running the game, it often happens that the game manages to "force" it's own parameters (and ignore your changes)"

And I have found that Fire Emblem has this very same problem. By default it has 7 DS channels, and won't extend any more, much like Ruby. My question is this: has anyone ever looked into why this might be happening? Does it sound like something fixable with just hex?

kearnseyboy6

Aussie's Toughest Mudder
Years
  • Seen Jun 22, 2019
So, this is weird... and surprisingly I can't find anyone else with the same problem.

Just doing an ordinary trainer battle, which works perfectly if I don't have the trainer box checked, and require you to talk to them manually... but if they see you and walk over like other trainers, the screen goes completely red as soon as they get to you, and the game freezes. I've looked at other trainers in game and I can't see that I'm doing anything differently. Any idea what's wrong?

I am almost certain this might be your script. Make sure that the number of pointers for trainerbattles commands match the battle type. Eg for 0x0 you have pointers for @prebattletalk, @wintext (during battle screen) and @afterbattle.

I had this problem because I was making a script like this:

#org @start
msgbox @1 0x2
trainerbattle 0x0 @pre @win @last
release
end

You dont need the message box command. If it isn't this try posting your script.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
Years
EDIT: I'm dumb, no need for lock/faceplayer before a trainerbattle rofl.

Problem solved. lol

Last edited:

GoGoJJTech

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ http://GoGoJJTech.com ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
Years
OKAY

This is mainly for gogojjtech, but I'm hoping that he will be able to answer this for me because I'm stumped.

There's that one fix for FireRed that allows the game to play 12 DS channels. I figured out, in theory, how to do the same for all games that use the Sappy engine. However! If you look through the Sappy doc you'll find this little bit here:

"However, there is many issues when changing it. When actually running the game, it often happens that the game manages to "force" it's own parameters (and ignore your changes)"

And I have found that Fire Emblem has this very same problem. By default it has 7 DS channels, and won't extend any more, much like Ruby. My question is this: has anyone ever looked into why this might be happening? Does it sound like something fixable with just hex?

What it could be is the RAM area, if it's full, then no extra tracks for you. Repointing the music table RAM lets the game read more DS instruments, and even allows for more tracks (16 max)

GoGoJJTech

Years
Okay I've read up on ASM, and while I'm no means a master now, I'm fairly sure that I understand how it works, its limitations and its advantages. However, I'm still not sure how doing simple math and compare operations would help, per se, add more pokemon or change the Town Map/Pokenav map...

Are there any "intermdiate" tutorials anyone could suggest to use this simple manipulation of memory to actually do stuff in the game? (I'm quite sure I'm not "advanced" after a day or two of reading and practicing :P Although I could probably struggle along in most tutorials now that I understand what stuff does...)

Err, once you get the basics, you just need areas of RAM and ROM and you're good to start. Adding pokemon takes a lot -
front sprite table
backsprite table
shiny front sprite table
shiny backsprite table
tm/hm compatibility
stats
all the pokedex limiters
save block hacking
icon table
icon palette table
egg moves table
move compatibility

All of this would need to get repointed. Jambo51's 649 patch took 2 years, and then canceled by him. So, yeah

GoGoJJTech

Years
1. Couldn't most or all of the above be done by moving the tables via hex to a location with more space and then adding the data you want? [/offsubject]

2. What would I have to know/do to add a "force map refresh" special to Emerald?

1: And ASM editing to let the game know that extra slots do exist, instead of looking only 80 slots (as an example)
2: Just use the ASM from FR, being sure to change all pointers to Em ones and RAM pointers to Em ones.

Years
  • Seen Oct 23, 2015
What it could be is the RAM area, if it's full, then no extra tracks for you. Repointing the music table RAM lets the game read more DS instruments, and even allows for more tracks (16 max)

Yeah, I thought it might be that, but I actually had a look at the RAM and discovered something a little weird. In certain situations the game will allow 8 DS channels (title menu, battle preparations screen, battle BGM) but in others it will only allow 7, so I'm not entirely sure it's a RAM issue. I've tried repointing the RAM elsewhere and gotten the same issue.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 20, 2021
Okay. Two questions.
1. What is the offset number for Champion Steven in Pokemon Ruby?
2. How would I go about scripting an event that would display a text box when the player exits the first gym after beating the gym leader?

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 20, 2021
Could you give a brief example script just so I have an idea of what the script should look like?

karatekid552

What happens if I push it?....
Years
Ahh, hadn't thought of the fact that the game needs to know there's more after that stuff XP

I know I have the starting point for the code in FR (from the pointer on the specials table), but how do I know where it ends? Also, how would I change the specials table (in emerald) to add another special... is this where ASM comes into play?

Where it ends.... Dude, I'm sorry to say, that part requires actually looking at the ASM and following it.

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Jul 29, 2014
Anybody know where the scripts for encountering the legendary beasts in firered is located? I need to make it so I can encounter all of them

How do I change the rate of encountering shinies on FireRed?

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Dec 5, 2023
Every so often, on a trainerbattle initiated either by a level script or by a script on the map, the player will abruptly face away from the challenging trainer just before the battle starts. I've tried messing with the trainerbattle type a bit (each of these affected trainerbattles requires a pointer to further script after the battle), but the problem persists.
Thoughts?

GoGoJJTech

Years
Can somebody tell me how to replace the intro cry?

Just follow this post by darthatron, from the quick research and development thread

Darthatron said:
So editing the Pokemon that is released by the Professor in the games is easy, and I think possible with some tools.
However, the cry does not change.
Here are some changes that need to be made to change the cry of this Pokemon.

FireRed: Code: 0812FB38: 02 48 0812FB42: 30 BD XX XX 00 00

Ruby: Code: 0800A506: 03 48 C0 46 0800A512: 00 BD XX XX 00 00

Emerald: Code: 08030B0C: XX XX

Where XX XX is the index of the Pokemon in reversed hex.
For example Charizard would be 06 00.
A list can be found at http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_Pokémon_by_index_number_(Generation_III)

PokéMew1

Pokémon Fuchsia
Years
Ok I am really sorry for this, but I need to repost this question brcause I an really urgent for the answer. Here it goes...

Can anyone send me a link to the Pokemon Fire red title font, like the font that spells out "FireRed" In the title screen? I am trying to edit the title screen as you may have guessed, and I wanted my title to look the same as firered...

Thanks in advanced,
PokéMew151

It doesnt really have to be a link, just the name of the font or how a lot of hackers make there title like the fire red title.

Sorry again for a repost...

Thanks,
PokéMew

Renegade

Time for real life...
Years
This is a question regarding vba-sdl-h (the debugging emulator).
Whenever I open the .exe file, the program just shows a black screen then it disappears. I have all of the installation files together, so why does this happen?

karatekid552

What happens if I push it?....
Years
I'm sorry as I'm still quite new to ASM, but how can you decompile it to look at the actual code (instead of the hex)?

With a disassembler. There is a cheap one in VBA(-M), but if you want a real one, go for VBA-SDL-H or No$gba Debugger.

This is a question regarding vba-sdl-h (the debugging emulator).
Whenever I open the .exe file, the program just shows a black screen then it disappears. I have all of the installation files together, so why does this happen?

Hmmm, not sure. I only have 3 files in the folder: the .exe, the SDL.dll, and a readme. You are on windows, right?

Last edited:

Renegade

Time for real life...
Years
Hmmm, not sure. I only have 3 files in the folder: the .exe, the SDL.dll, and a readme. You are on windows, right?
Yes, Windows 7. Here's a screenshot of my folder:
Vibt5fL.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back