• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you like reviewing stories?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volcanix769

Known as the Quilava Guy!
Years
This is based on the other thread posted a few months ago. Lately, I've been seeing that some people who post their stories here hardly get any comments on them. They just wanted opinions on how they did, and they barely get any comments. Do you tend to read their stories? If so, do you think before what you try to write instead of just blowing up on them for their flaws? And for how they wrote, they want to see of what people think and that they might get a bit upset when there's just nothing posted from the readers and they carry on.

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
Years
Do I like reviewing? Absolutely. Do I have time for reviewing? Barely any.

We all know it's frustrating to get no reviews for a story, because with very few exceptions we've all been there, and we empathize. But, the simple fact of the matter is that reading and reviewing takes time, and most of us are kept pretty busy with school/work, reading other things, playing Pokemon, and writing our own stuff. I can't speak for everyone of course, but a lot of us are trying to maintain a good ratio of stories we review to chapters we post. Speaking in particular as someone who has a tendency to vanish for a few months at a time, I apologize, in both senses of the word.

As for the content of reviews, I and I believe most people here do indeed think before we post. In my mind there are two main goals where reviewing is concerned: acknowledging successes, and helping the writer improve. I don't think most users here "blow up" on a writer unless it's in response to the writer taking constructive criticism poorly.

If you yourself are getting frustrated because of a void of reviews, my advice is to stick around. Being active in the community is the best way to get more attention when you write something, and don't get discouraged if it takes a while.

Also, I don't think we've met, so nice to meet you!

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
They just wanted opinions on how they did, and they barely get any comments. Do you tend to read their stories? If so, do you think before what you try to write instead of just blowing up on them for their flaws?

Mind if I point out something here as politely as I can? You rip into people for not reviewing (by complaining that writers just want to know what people think but get nothing in terms of feedback), but a couple of sentences later, you accuse reviewers of attacking writers. If you want more people to review, you'll have to realize that you can't have both attitudes. I've looked at the reviews you've gotten so far, and they've actually been pretty polite and helpful, not the kind of review in which people "blew up at you" for your mistakes.

I think, ultimately, that the main problem is that PC isn't really a community where reviews happen. It's always been like that; that's why we tried to take steps like establish the reviewing challenge and shut down our off-topic thread. People don't really review that frequently around here, and you have some people -- very few, mind you, not the ones who responded to you -- who do it harshly. Yes, it's unfortunate, but the thing is you can't solve that issue by, pardon the bluntness, whining that authors want reviews. You don't get much done by whining at all or accusing people of ignoring fics or ripping into fics. I don't really know what the answer is because I've seen PC try a bunch of different things, but I do know that whatever you do, it has to be done collectively -- and actively. As in, if you want a community where people review everything, the first step is to, well, have a community where people review everything. You have to encourage people to review, not accuse them of failing to do so.

Well, that and start reviewing a crapload of stories yourself. I mean, if you're worried about every other author on the forums not getting reviews, then it'd be a good idea to start reviewing and reaching out to writers yourself, just because of the "if you want a problem fixed, fix it yourself" philosophy. You have no idea if someone is going to stop by and review, so if you read a story with no reviews and realize that it has no reviews, you might as well just leave one yourself while you're there to help solve that problem you've described.

It'd also help to be more receptive of reviews. Some reviewers might not want to review here because it's just not an open environment for it. If authors met them halfway by being receptive to what they had to say (instead of, for example, failing to thank a reviewer, making excuses instead of stating that you'll consider what they're trying to tell you, and pulling this), reviewers would probably be more comfortable interacting with authors. A lot of what it takes to get a decent number of reviews, besides being friendly and active in the community, is just being polite and open to your reviewers. Just saying.

Edit: But to respond directly to the question, yes, I do enjoy reviewing when I can. I like the idea of having an open dialogue with a writer and being able to help them, and besides that, I don't do anything in fandom I don't enjoy because, well, fandom is meant to be something one does for fun. So if I review, it's because I read the story for fun in the first place, but it's also because I feel like I'd enjoy interacting with the author. And yes, I do get a high out of being able to talk about a story with an author and being able to help them improve it and watching them take their skills to the next level. I like knowing that I had a part in helping an author grow. Yes, there are some people out there (and they tend to be a vocal minority, keep in mind) who review for the sake of tearing into other people, and I honestly don't understand that mindset because, let's face it, actually being involved in drama and flame wars and whatnot is just not that fun. :/ So yeah. When I review, I'm there to help authors, and I do it because I like to do it.

Last edited:

Volcanix769

Years
Do I like reviewing? Absolutely. Do I have time for reviewing? Barely any.

We all know it's frustrating to get no reviews for a story, because with very few exceptions we've all been there, and we empathize. But, the simple fact of the matter is that reading and reviewing takes time, and most of us are kept pretty busy with school/work, reading other things, playing Pokemon, and writing our own stuff. I can't speak for everyone of course, but a lot of us are trying to maintain a good ratio of stories we review to chapters we post. Speaking in particular as someone who has a tendency to vanish for a few months at a time, I apologize, in both senses of the word.

As for the content of reviews, I and I believe most people here do indeed think before we post. In my mind there are two main goals where reviewing is concerned: acknowledging successes, and helping the writer improve. I don't think most users here "blow up" on a writer unless it's in response to the writer taking constructive criticism poorly.

If you yourself are getting frustrated because of a void of reviews, my advice is to stick around. Being active in the community is the best way to get more attention when you write something, and don't get discouraged if it takes a while.

Also, I don't think we've met, so nice to meet you!

I feel ya. And when I meant by that when people write stories, some just don't understand on what we are trying to do or how we struggle. Yes I am learning for guides and other people. And some say "really" when I try to include something to the plot when they say that they don't think that it's really important. Yeah I know that I'm not good, but sometimes I just want them to understand and how I am trying to make up my flaws I'm not saying that it's bad. And I am trying to be more outgoing and stuff. But this thread was made up of my wandering thoughts I guess.

Last edited:

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
And when I meant by that when people write stories, some just don't understand on what we are trying to do or how we struggle.

Something to keep in mind: when you're in a writing community online -- a fanfiction community especially -- we are all writers. The people who frequent communities aren't grouped into two separate categories of reviewers and writers, and because of that, reviewers aren't out-of-touch with the issues that you're describing. Yes, I've encountered the problem where not that many people were commenting on what I was writing. The Leaf Green Incident, for example, was the winner of the SWC, and it got only a tiny handful of comments (ignoring the one that was deleted). Before I wandered away from PC for a year, I was writing Anima Ex Machina, a fic that I put a lot of effort into, and there were periods where I didn't get any comments at all after I posted chapters. (Second page. Starts roughly around chapter twelve and goes all the way to chapter fifteen or so, and that reflects about three months of me just posting chapters with no feedback on PC.)

Point is, we all have that problem. We all understand what you're going through. That's because we're all writers as well as reviewers. So please don't accuse readers of being inconsiderate because, yeah, we've felt it too. Like I said, PC's not that much of a reviewing environment. In order to overcome that, you (meaning the community) have to be active and think of yourself as not just a writer or a reviewer but both.

Yeah I know that I'm not good, but sometimes I just want them to understand and how I am trying to make up my flows

It's still a good idea to thank a reviewer and state that you'll consider what they're saying -- or at least explain politely why their advice might not fit the situation you're trying to write about (but still thank them at the end). Proper etiquette and all.

In short, the less you see reviewers as being inconsiderate/out-of-touch with writers and the more you see reviewers as being (potentially) experienced writers who are attempting to pass along advice to help others (and who therefore may know all too well what you mean), the easier it will be to understand how any given writing community works. That in turn will help you to solve the issue that is the lack of reviews in this forum.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
I like to review. Every day, I regret not having the time to review. Between other interests, like wanting to get my own fics finished, I don't have as much time here to dedicate to reading other people's stories.

Also, this:
JX Valentine said:
Some reviewers might not want to review here because it's just not an open environment for it.
It's really hard to tell who wants an honest comment and who will fight back/cause drama/actually leave the forum completely because a reviewer didn't just say that everything about the story was perfect. Everyone says that they want comments, but it's difficult to tell who's telling the truth.

And
I don't really know what the answer is because I've seen PC try a bunch of different things, but I do know that whatever you do, it has to be done collectively -- and actively.
this as well. I tried so many times to review here, but it gets lonely if you're the only one doing it after a while. (Long enough for other people to join in if they want.) It's a large task, and if things are going to change, it takes a lot of dedication on the part of quite a few people to change it.

Yeah I know that I'm not good, but sometimes I just want them to understand and how I am trying to make up my flows I'm not saying that it's bad.
Reviewers should be drat understanding because that's the feel of the business. In being in this for as many years as I have and going through as many attitudes as I have while learning, it's far more productive to both the author and the reviewer to be understanding of each other. So not only should reviewers not yell at authors for anything, but authors shouldn't yell at reviewers for pointing something out they could improve on.

And when I meant by that when people write stories, some just don't understand on what we are trying to do or how we struggle.
Except we're all writers and reviewers here. So yeah, we understand very well the struggle that comes with all parts of writing. I just don't post my fics because I don't feel like editing them yet!

Phantom1

[css-div="font-size: 12px; font-variant: small-cap
Years
I feel ya. And when I meant by that when people write stories, some just don't understand on what we are trying to do or how we struggle.

Thing is nearly every reviewer is a writer already. It shouldn't be a struggle. You should write because you enjoy it. Getting better at it is a part of growing at something you should love, not struggle at. A big pointer is when a person who is also a beta reader reviews you should really listen to them and not argue with them. Because it's sort of our job to help you.

I have a rather large fanfic, over 56K words and 17 chapters long, that on ff.net has over 100 favorites and 120 followers. It has currently 153 reviews. And more hits than I will ever get here at PC.

Here at PC? Not a single review or comment. (Which now looking at it I need to fix a few things. Oops.) Yet not once did I beg for reviews, or complain about not getting them. Why?

Because this isn't a writing forum. It's a Pokéforum. If you want a ton of reviews, post it at dedicated fanfiction site, like AO3 or ff.net. There you will get much more feedback, but usually only if it's really good. On a site like ff.net, you're not going to get the in depth reviews you see here. Ninety percent of them will be 'plz update' rather than real advice and comments. I think one in depth review here is worth countless 'plz updates'.

For the original question: Of course. I want to help people and support other writers wherever I can. I'm not too much into Pokémon fics at the moment, but I review where I am interested.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
If you want a ton of reviews, post it at dedicated fanfiction site, like AO3 or ff.net. There you will get much more feedback, but usually only if it's really good. On a site like ff.net, you're not going to get the in depth reviews you see here. Ninety percent of them will be 'plz update' rather than real advice and comments. I think one in depth review here is worth countless 'plz updates'.
Also, on AO3, they have the "Kudos" system, which is pretty much the equivalent of "liking" a story without any comment to it. (This does work really well for those of us who want to say we like a story, but don't want to be part of the group complained about with "why didn't they say more in their comment?")

Each writing community is different. When you're ready to post your fics, ideally you would look around and see what the place is like, and what you're going to get from the people in the community. Like with ff.net, you'll get a lot of reviews, but they'll mostly be of the (and I quote from a ff.net tab I have open right now) "great chapter" for every single chapter you write. There are some good points to posting at ff.net (none of which I remember because I haven't heard anyone really talk about it recently). If you look around several forums, you'll see the type of reviews posted there. Some fanfic forums (SPPf comes to mind) are known for giving a good amount of in-depth reviews, so if you want to improve your writing, you go there.

PC's fic community has always been rather quiet on the review front. So... =C

Last edited:

Volcanix769

Years
Also, on AO3, they have the "Kudos" system, which is pretty much the equivalent of "liking" a story without any comment to it. (This does work really well for those of us who want to say we like a story, but don't want to be part of the group complained about with "why didn't they say more in their comment?")

Each writing community is different. When you're ready to post your fics, ideally you would look around and see what the place is like, and what you're going to get from the people in the community. Like with ff.net, you'll get a lot of reviews, but they'll mostly be of the (and I quote from a ff.net tab I have open right now) "great chapter" for every single chapter you write. If you look around several forums, you'll see the type of reviews posted there. Some fanfic forums (SPPf comes to mind) are known for giving a good amount of in-depth reviews, so if you want to improve your writing, you go there.

PC's fic community has always been rather quiet on the review front. So... =C
I've been working on posting it to FF.net, but it didn't get anything except one of them that had little results. Technically I write because I get inspired and I wanted people to see it. But it didn't make any progress. Still I might write unless I get satisfied.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Mar 26, 2014
I like reviewing, but I have 0 time for it. I like getting mine reviewed though.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
The Writer's Lounge has a rule against posting in threads that are over a month old. Check the date of the last post in a thread before responding. Double-check the rules of a section to see their rules on bumping old threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back