• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What Video Game(s) did you spend the most money on?

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
Just as the title suggests, what video games do you spend the most money on? What I mean is, certain video games have DLC (downloadable content), where you basically spend money to download extra content like new outfits, new stages/levels, and so on.

So, again, which video games did you tend to spend the most money on, and do you remember the amount? What did you spend it on, for that particular video game?

Arma

The Hyena
Years
Pfft, I downloaded a few extra things for Civilization: Revolution, like maps and a few extra wonders. Didn't cost me much though, I think around 7 buck altogether.

Never cared much for DLC to be honest... However, I did bought all the expansion packs for Zoo Tycoon 2. XD

Xolace

✿♥✿
Years
I regretfully spent over a thousand dollars on MapleStory. Those darn Miracle Cubes were too hard to pass up.

Fortunately when I sold my account and items I managed to make the majority of that money back. I ended up using that money to buy an XBOX 360 along with a 32" TV. n_n

To put things into perspective, my perfect Earrings were worth slightly over two billion Mesos (Money). Two billion in-game was worth two hundred real dollars.

I finally quit when I realized keeping up damage wise was all about how much real money you pumped into your character. Yea...Never again.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
The only game I've bought any significant amount of DLC for is Tales of Graces f. All the costumes and attachments I've bought total to about ~$65. Thankfully, my roommates have chipped in to buy some of them too so I didn't front the whole cost but uhh... we still haven't bought everything and my roommates have expressed interest in completing the set. I think by the end I'll have paid for the game over again in DLC costs. :'( I knew DLC costumes would be the end of me. I tried so hard to resist.

I'm just thankful Vesperia doesn't have as many appealing costumes. I dread Xillia's release in August.

Last edited:
Years
The only game that I've spent more than $20 worth of in-game purchases was in NHL 11, but I got that game for free, so I didn't mind paying the extra money.

If Grand Theft Auto V has a bunch of DLC (including expansion pack games), I could easily see myself exceeding the $30-40 I spent on NHL. I've already spent $20 extra to get the upgraded edition, and who knows what extra costs there might be when the game finally comes out.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
If we're going solely off DLC, then the most I've paid is £1.99 to get extra levels from The Room, a 'free' game that gives you one level then forces you to fork out for the rest of the game. Having said that, it was also the cheapest game that I've ever bought, so I'm not sure if it's in the spirit of the question! :P

The most expensive standalone game I've bought was Ni No Kuni for PS3, which was about £55 and is now gathering dust in my bedroom because the three hours I played of it were complete torture. :D

Aeon.

Carrion
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jun 22, 2016
Easily Rock Band 2/3. There was much song DLC and a nice chunk of it was so delicious...

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
Years
Battlefield 3...I bought one DLC pack (I don't really buy many downloadable items) and I bought the game a second time after I lost it..other than that, I'd say Call of Duty: Black Ops, as I bought 2 DLC packs for it.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
Never a fan of shelling out too much money for games. When I played MMORPGs, I tried to make do with the in-game powerups. I also don't like DLC because many companies (EA above all) use it as an excuse to sell an unfinished game.

Compared to 15 years ago, we sure live draconian times. Game companies are trying to make money off everything, and I mean EVERYTHING. Not sure how many of you play racing games, but to me it's unacceptable that a DLC contaning a few cars and one track costs up to 10% of the original game's full price. They use our instinct to have the latest prettiest thing to full effect.

Years
A lot of the RPG and EA games that exist.

EA are EA, you're never gonna find DLC that is well-priced, but FIFA is FIFA and I want a good FUT.

Also, I bought Guild Wars 2 stuff when it was mega expensive and highly demanded game, spent £45 on it but still don't regret the decision to do so.

Last edited:

Rest

Showstealer Pro: Trial Version
Years
Without a doubt, World of Warcraft. I'd invested about $200 in the original copy and the following expansions alone, then about 2 to 3 years of monthly subscriptions. $20 a month for 3 years... $720. It was a pretty huge dent to my expenses at the time.

Ugh. Never again.

EDIT: Oh, DLC! No, never spent a dime on that.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 29, 2019
I would have to say Mass Effect 3 considering I got not only that for full price on the day of its release but all the DLC for it as well.

Sailor Moon ™

Champion of Justice
Years
In terms of actual "Games" - The Sims series. Considering, I've been playing from the original. If my math is correct I've spent about $700 dollars on the entire series, including consoles and handhelds.

(Thinking about it makes me feel awful!)

As for in-game content, League of Legends takes the cake. I've spent about $100 in total.

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
Years
Probably the first Borderlands...I think it's the only game I bought all the DLC for and they were $10 each. I don't normally buy DLC unless it's for an online game that a lot of my friend are playing, and I barely ever play those anymore.

PixelWarrior

Conqueror of Castles
Years
Back when I was in deep with MMORPGs like Maplestory, Trickster, etc. I spent a good chunk of money on them to buff my character. The game developers these days have extremely clever ways of getting more money, haha. Trickster especially was the perfect example of a game you literally could not play without utilizing DLC. I mean, of course you could, but it was a crazy game.

For those of you who don't know, Trickster is an MMORPG that features 6, if I remember correctly, animal-based characters to choose from, which are analogous to classes in other MMORPGs, and you train them to their level cap, which is 400. Quite a steep number, wouldn't you say? Well, when I first played the game, I got my character to 72 before quitting, because the quests were getting confusing. I came back to the game when I heard a new update had made it possible to choose one character and automatically level it to 140, which is a big deal. After I had created my character and used the update to full advantage, I thought it would be a lot easier to finish quests and level up. Unfortunately, I was far off. Even with the level boost passing the confusing and boring part of the game, the characters were still not powerful enough to take anything out in one or two hits. Due to that, DLC was a necessity to progress in the game successfully. I didn't succumb, however, and after grinding to 154 I decided to give it a rest, for good.

In general, I think DLC is going to become the majority of most newly released games and I don't see it ever changing for the better. On the bright side, it's still optional and there will always be the good old games, haha!

Back