• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen The new starter pokemon

Years
  • Seen May 9, 2013
So I've now used all three and in my current run through I have all three with me. I don't know if this is just me or what but I picked the snivy first as a throw back to the first game I ever played. In red I picked a bulbasaur for my first pokemon and named it seeder. I picked grass this time and all I can say is that I feel like the grass guy in this is poopy. Is it just me or did i get a bad one. So what did you pick for your starter in this game and why. also what did you think of the new starters. Like what one is the best, coolest looking, or just seemed the strongest in general.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Hey so while the starter question is good and applies to this forum, the last line doesn't really relate because it fits into Pokemon Gaming Central. So I'll just remove that, and also the ongoing discussion prefix (which is to only to be used by me, as started in B/W's Guidelines!)

Nevertheless, I agree Snivy isn't really that great. There's not really that much appealing going for it in-game and Oshawott/Tepig are definitely better from my experiences ;(

Years
I agree with Forever, Snivy never really cut it for me. I did do better with Tepig and Oshawott though, especially Oshawott cos other than being my fave I also work best with Water-type starters.

I have to admit I actually loved the designs of Unova's starters, despite what most people think. Also, while they might not have the best movepools in the world they still do their job well.

And if you took time to guess who I picked when I played Black, I obviously went with my fave which is of course Oshawott. He was the best starter I loved using in any game.

Yep, Oshawott will always be the best for me <3

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
I am the complete opposite when it comes to Snivy after my recent experiences with it on my White version. I have all three starters on that team and Snivy has gotten me out of more situations than the other two (having attract on it does wonder; thank you Ash!). On the other hand Oshawott hasn't really done much to help and Tepig has done more and hopefully will since it's a Pignite. But overall Snivy has done the most work from the three starters.

That and in general Ash's Snivy is flawless and I've grown to love it so much like almost every other grass type. ♥

Generally though, I was iffy on all the starters until I got my game and had more experiences with all three. Now my order when it comes to said starters would have to be Snivy - Tepig - Oshawott.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I think Oshawott can potentially be pretty good, though (well, when evolved to Dewott / Samurott & once you have a few TMs under your belt!). Cause it can get Ice Beam / Scald or Surf or Waterfall / X-Scissor / and Grass Knot aka strongggg. I mean that's later on in the game but overall a water type can come in handy tho because by the third gym you're facing bugs and in the wild you haven't found much to defeat them which Snivy cannot really fair well against, compared to the next gym where you have electric types (and find ground types just before!)

Years
  • Age 34
  • UK
  • Seen Jan 29, 2013
I'm yet to start with Tepig, but I definitely preferred starting with Oshawott to Snivy. I thought Snivy looked really cool, but other than that, I can't say I really enjoyed it. As Forever pointed out, Dewott/Samurott can have some awesome movesets which can be valuable later on in the game.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
After seeing the Snivy line's stats (I originally intended to use Snivy in one of my playthroughs), I was very disappointed. Even though they're fast, their average offensive stats and shallow movepools are what drew me away from them. They did improve a bit in B2/W2, but that's another story.

Anyway, I used Oshawott and Tepig and I was pleased with both.

Sirfetch’d

I originally used Oshawott and loved him and he was very good in game. Then in my second and third playthroughs I used the other two and realized that the Oshawott line was the best, IMO. However I do think that the Snivy line, as bad as they are, look amazing. Serperior is one of the coolest looking Pokemon ever.

Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2020
Yeah - really, all the starters in this gen are a bit of a let-down, but Snivy particularly so. Its stats lean toward defense (with surprising speed), but it's short on defensive moves - it gets mostly offensive moves, but has only mediocre offensive stats. So it ends up without a good purpose. It's a shame too - it's a great design. Just not that great a starter.

Tepig is okay (though Fire/Fight is getting old), but it's only okay, and contrary to most of the other games, there are a fair number of good Fire types in B/W, so it's not even useful by virtue of being unique.

Oshawott is about the best of the lot IMO, and that much better because, again contrary to most of the other games, there's such a shortage of Water types in Unova.

Much though I love these games, I have to admit that the starters are just not all that good.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
Years
I have always started out with Oshawott because I have always started out with water types, but I have used Tepig and Snivy as well. I've raised all three of them to their final evolution and finally to level 100. In my opinion, Oshawott was the easiest for me due to it's move pool and the TM's and HM's it can learn. In general, I would have to pick Oshawott because it can KO snivy with Ice moves and Tepig with water type moves.

:t354:TG

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
I've used all 3 and I think Oshawott was the best for me, it had a wider movepool and although I don't like its evolution the best it was still better usage-wise. Tepig was alright, Snivy's movepool sucks.

Aryan143

The Fennekin Fan!
Years
Tepig and Oshawott are great but Snivy looks a little weak to everyone. But trust me- when Snivy's DW ability will be released, it may leave both Tepig and Oshawott behind.

Somniac

Probably sleeping.
Years
Pignite and it's line is... ugh... I just.. ugh.

Fire types have always been one of my favorite types, I usually don't start with the fire type starters though, it's normally grass for me. Pignite, I can not stand. Emboar is hideous and uncreative.
It's not even hard to design a better looking fire starter.

Spoiler:

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
I was originally going to use Snivy as my starter until I saw its movepool. Thankfully, I'll be able to pick him thanks to BW2. Tepig being the third Fire/Fighting starter is understandable, because GF wants to make sure all starters have the advantage against the first few gyms (in this region, it's normal types). Unfortunely, its defenses, combined by its low speed, prevents it from retaliating the opponent as it'll be dead quickly. GF should switch its HP and Attack stats in order for it to survive longer. Oshawott is, without a doubt, the best of the three, for it has everything it needs for a special set or a physical set. Overall, the starters are the worst of the series so far, given that their total base stats are 528 rather than 535 like the usual starters. They're suppose to be one of the strongest Pokemon in their respective region, yet they're outclassed by better Unova Pokemon.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
I took Oshawott because it was the cutest between all 3 lol^^

But I don't find Snivy or Tepig that much appealing to me. So I ended up taking Oshawott and until now, I don't regret it :)

Oshamaru

Legs go, Megaman!
Years
For White, I used Oshawott. The first time I saw Oshy I didn´t like it. But then it grew up on me, and I decided to pick him. He was actually pretty useful with a versatile movepool.

For White 2, I used Tepig. I couldn´t decide between it and Snivy at first, but I went with the piggy. It doesn´t have a diverse movepool like Oshawott, but ThunderPunch was a great help. Thank Game Freak for move tutors.

Mononoke Hime

viva emptiness
Years
For me is serperior all the time. Serperior's is the prettiest of all these three starters, plus emboar is just an ugly ball of fire, alongside darumaka/darmanitan. Boring typing, really.
Second to serperior is samurott, who's not that pretty but it's playable, I'm learning to ignore it's huge mustaches. Also, it has my favorite type.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
Well, I always choose the Fire starter, because it's the coolest type. I think the best one overall is Oshawott, because it's a good Water alternative (the others are Jellicent, which is also good, and Swanna, which is mediocre at best), but Tepig isn't that bad.

Back