• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What do you want in CBC?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I'd quote the others buuut already discussed on IRC/PO and the fact that I consider tj old now :3

My first experience with the community was through the server and I always try to base my attitude for the community I joined based on my first couple of impressions based on the community and I found an astronomical difference between the forums and the server.

On the server, my attitude is raunchy like the rest of them and it will probably continue to be that way unless something is done as that's my way of fitting in with them, but on the forum, my first couple of impressions made me feel like these are two entirely different communities. My attitude on here is a lot different then it was on the server my first night.

But that's one of *my* personal traits. If you don't change your attitude based on your enviroment, you will be repelled from the server or be bored of the forum and go into your respective corner of the community. It would probably be important to fix this fracture if you want to make things more breathable.

:( Yeah that's definitely not a good thing for someone so new to both PC and the community here. I'd definitely like to see that improved where you don't have to act that way to fit in (I try to be welcoming I guess to people as a warning literally to stay away from that stuff as it commonly happens?) and for everyone to be more accepting rather than like "oh yeah you're just a new person, carrying on with insults @ regs". But yeah, I do actually agree that they are two different places. On the forum here everyone is like 10x more formal, but when let loose on the server? Yeah totally different. Idk just some balance would be great, maybe enforce more that it is the forum's official server (then again that probably won't make much of a difference) rather than just a place to hang out and say whatever without any consequence. Considering it serves as the current primary place for idk, keeping people at CBC, that really isn't good.

.Gamer

»»───knee─►
Years
  • Age 32
  • NSFW
  • Seen Jun 18, 2019
<font size="1">
I think that, just to address everyone else, if someone picks Smogon over PC because of its <i>atmosphere</i>, something has gone very wrong.
<br />
<br />
Not necessarily. Smogon"s server is more battle-oriented and to be honest the PC server isn"t (hi I"m still alive and even though I haven"t been around lately, I"m not naive enough to think things have changed). The PC server is more of a hangout spot. It"s a chatroom and less of a place to battle. Smogon is more of a place to ladder, make a team and test it out and occasionally have serious discussion about why pokemon / set X is better than pokemon / set Y.</font> http://gamewallopher.net/

Last edited:
Years

Not necessarily. Smogon's server is more battle-oriented and to be honest the PC server isn't (hi I'm still alive and even though I haven't been around lately, I'm not naive enough to think things have changed). The PC server is more of a hangout spot. It's a chatroom and less of a place to battle. Smogon is more of a place to ladder, make a team and test it out and occasionally have serious discussion about why pokemon / set X is better than pokemon / set Y.

He means as a community server, obviously smogon is the spot to ladder but the chat is awful.

Years
  • Seen Aug 1, 2012
:( Yeah that's definitely not a good thing for someone so new to both PC and the community here. I'd definitely like to see that improved where you don't have to act that way to fit in
It's honestly no problem to me how I'm supposed to act to fit into a community. I join forums so I can meet people that share the same interests as me, such as Pokemon, and I can easily enjoy the company of a wide variety of people because I'm so used to a vast assortment of friends that I've met and currently have.

The question here is, do we want to threaten these regulars that have given a large amount of time and energy into the community but are threatening the newcomers (albeit unintentionally)? I mean, I'm new here so I really don't know how great of members these people are, but if their continued rudeness is threatening the expansion of the server then maybe actions should be taken so that the regulars on the forum don't need to feel afraid of going onto the server and being met with a cascade of sexual jokes that they find inappropriate.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
Years
  • Seen Apr 27, 2020
I think Wolf will manage just fine on his own.

And I agree on that the server can be "sexual" sometimes, but those are jokes, all the regulars are comfortable with it (and heck if they aren't, they just ignore it) and they are hardly ever explicit to the point where it's unwelcoming or unsettling, and it's not even often, it really shouldn't be a big deal. Everything can't always be a bed of roses. I don't think people there should have to conform to other people's standards, just because they aren't tough-skinned enough. Imo, if you are new somewhere, you should adapt to the environment there, and not the other way around, and if you can't/don't want to then it's just not the place for you.
and hey hey hold up no one is even ""threatening"" newcomers

Last edited:

Anti

return of the king
Years
And I agree on that the server can be "sexual" sometimes, but those are jokes, all the regulars are comfortable with it (and heck if they aren't, they just ignore it) and they are hardly ever explicit to the point where it's unwelcoming or unsettling, and it's not even often, it really shouldn't be a big deal. Everything can't always be a bed of roses. I don't think people there should have to conform to other people's standards, just because they aren't tough-skinned enough. Imo, if you are new somewhere, you should adapt to the environment there, and not the other way around, and if you can't/don't want to then it's just not the place for you.
and hey hey hold up no one is even ""threatening"" newcomers

It's not so much that the server is too explicit but rather that it simply isn't fun when all you hear is something about Nica being flat-chested. How many of those remarks does it take before it's just really annoying? We were at that point months ago. And honestly, I think asking potential members to adapt ignores how...bizarre our chat is. And by bizarre I mean that sometimes it can be downright insufferable.

I think if we actually talk about Pokemon and even remotely relevant things, that expectation is more realistic. I think joking and all that is fine and really an integral part of the CBC experience but it doesn't have to be so mind-numbing in its immaturity.

Yoshikko

Years
  • Seen Apr 27, 2020
It's not so much that the server is too explicit but rather that it simply isn't fun when all you hear is something about Nica being flat-chested. How many of those remarks does it take before it's just really annoying? We were at that point months ago. And honestly, I think asking potential members to adapt ignores how...bizarre our chat is. And by bizarre I mean that sometimes it can be downright insufferable.

I think if we actually talk about Pokemon and even remotely relevant things, that expectation is more realistic. I think joking and all that is fine and really an integral part of the CBC experience but it doesn't have to be so mind-numbing in its immaturity.
Well I'm not exactly involved in those jokes so I'm not gonna dwell on it too much, but there's "running gags" about almost every regular there (I'm sure I don't have to list them), it's not just those jokes about her and it's certainly not everyone doing it (as a matter of fact it's usually only two or three certain people), so that is not something about the server necessarily but more about them personally which should be worked on. One of the people who makes the chat "insufferable" is not even on PC anymore, it makes no sense for the most part to address that problem here, it should be discussed with them personally.

And tbh, you can't really tell people to talk about a certain subject more. If they're not talking about it it means that it does not interest them. Besides, people talk about Pokémon there pretty often anyway. All you can do is set a topic and hope that it catches on and if it doesn't, then it's sort of out of someone's league.

I'm still sticking to what I said about some places just not being suited for every single person, and you can't care for that either. You just can't make it comfortable for everyone. There's a select group of people that cannot handle the atmosphere the server has and well, why can't that just be how it is, why should we have to adjust for that while there are enough people that do find their place there? I'm agreeing on some people that could create a hostile environment but like I said, that should be worked on with them personally.

Anti

return of the king
Years
Yoshikkko said:
Well I'm not exactly involved in those jokes so I'm not gonna dwell on it too much, but there's "running gags" about almost every regular there (I'm sure I don't have to list them), it's not just those jokes about her and it's certainly not everyone doing it (as a matter of fact it's usually only two or three certain people), so that is not something about the server necessarily but more about them personally which should be worked on. One of the people who makes the chat "insufferable" is not even on PC anymore, it makes no sense for the most part to address that problem here, it should be discussed with them personally.

I've definitely talked or have tried to talk with the people in question. Maybe one year or another it will pay dividends. It's really not as simple as you're making it out to be.

It's also probably good that this thread exists because we can get opinions from people who otherwise wouldn't be heard that much. Part of addressing a problem is finding out it exists, after all. Even if it is only limited to few people.

Yoshikkko said:
And tbh, you can't really tell people to talk about a certain subject more. If they're not talking about it it means that it does not interest them. Besides, people talk about Pokémon there pretty often anyway. All you can do is set a topic and hope that it catches on and if it doesn't, then it's sort of out of someone's league.

I can't remember the last decent Pokemon discussion/topic we've had on the server. And by decent I mean "pertaining to competitive Pokemon in any way at all."

I get what you mean, but shouldn't a competitive Pokemon server have periodic Pokemon-related topics and fairly frequent battling? These are not radical suggestions. Honestly, the server was so much better when it was on-topic and still succeeded in being a casual hangout.

Yoshikkko said:
I'm still sticking to what I said about some places just not being suited for every single person, and you can't care for that either. You just can't make it comfortable for everyone. There's a select group of people that cannot handle the atmosphere the server has and well, why can't that just be how it is, why should we have to adjust for that while there are enough people that do find their place there? I'm agreeing on some people that could create a hostile environment but like I said, that should be worked on with them personally.

I mean, you're right in that CBC just isn't a good fit for everyone. And that's fine. But really, is "tone it down with the sexual content" really that big of an adaptation? I would like to think I understand our culture as well as anyone and sex really is not a vital component of it...since it was entirely absent for about four years. So what's the big deal? A stand on principle does not seem applicable to this particular issue.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
@ not changing for others: Yeah... I think it needs to be done if it's just completely sexual and with not much else. What I'm about to say might sound crazy but it could bring about balance maybe. I feel like if that sort of discussion - if people really wanted it - could possibly go into another channel and for the main channel to be for its actual intended purpose. I don't know exactly how da and syndrome etc feel about cutting down/stopping all that, and if they weren't to exactly agree with it rather than just muting and banning - instead tell them to take it to another channel. With the other channels having barely any/no use (other than when the hentai channel existed for that short time) wouldn't now be a good time for that if we're aiming towards the main channel being for battling for the most part. idk though because it might take activity away from the main server with not too many people that willing to discuss battling (probably around 5-6 of us, and if there were newer people & later on in PC OU that'll probably rise), so probably not best for -right now-. However! I'm 99% sure there will be a lot of new people coming through in the next few months due to B2W2 and maybe consider doing that then to shift the server to be more battling related, while not completely saying to the regulars "stfu go away" so it's kinda like a balance? For now though if we all work on cutting that down and just trying to be more normal then the people that are coming here lately might want to stay and not disappear forever. :(

And on actually battling I know not necessarily everyone battles much but with the new PC OU and the rest of us having an interest in NU or something, I think it's time to just start battling and not saying "oh no later on in pc ou" or whatever. I know someone (but yet idk who!) mentioned community create a team, but I was thinking maybe like... sorta, donating your old teams to the newer players so they'll be more motivated to battle and learn through experience rather than make a team since sometimes team building turns people away and such. If there was like, something official listing all the "donated" teams (for multiple tiers) then new users can actually learn from our userbase, rather than just copy/paste directly from Smogon's, further emphasizing that CBC is its own community. idk that might further make people want to battle, buuut yeah.

Yoshikko

Years
  • Seen Apr 27, 2020
@ not changing for others: Yeah... I think it needs to be done if it's just completely sexual and with not much else. What I'm about to say might sound crazy but it could bring about balance maybe. I feel like if that sort of discussion - if people really wanted it - could possibly go into another channel and for the main channel to be for its actual intended purpose. I don't know exactly how da and syndrome etc feel about cutting down/stopping all that, and if they weren't to exactly agree with it rather than just muting and banning - instead tell them to take it to another channel. With the other channels having barely any/no use (other than when the hentai channel existed for that short time) wouldn't now be a good time for that if we're aiming towards the main channel being for battling for the most part. idk though because it might take activity away from the main server with not too many people that willing to discuss battling (probably around 5-6 of us, and if there were newer people & later on in PC OU that'll probably rise), so probably not best for -right now-. However! I'm 99% sure there will be a lot of new people coming through in the next few months due to B2W2 and maybe consider doing that then to shift the server to be more battling related, while not completely saying to the regulars "stfu go away" so it's kinda like a balance? For now though if we all work on cutting that down and just trying to be more normal then the people that are coming here lately might want to stay and not disappear forever. :(
Well I had such a channel for a while until u guys wanted to eradicate it lol
I understand why you'd think that'd be a good idea but all it's gonna do is encourage people to talk about it even more, and take away activity from the main channel. We're talking about sexual jokes and comments, not about a whole conversation (hardly ever, at least), which should just be toned down a bit. Also, if people want to disappear they want to disappear. People come and go, and randoms aren't exactly the contribution you are looking for anyway, tbh.

And about battling - personally I quit for a while because it's exam time atm, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. I'm just gonna go ahead and guess that the activity will rise again when school's over, obviously.

Anti

return of the king
Years
@Nica: I would rather people just stop commenting on your boobs constantly. We really shouldn't have to adapt to something that is so unnecessary and has long since lost whatever comedic edge it originally might have had.

Years
  • Seen Aug 1, 2012
@Nica: I would rather people just stop commenting on your boobs constantly. We really shouldn't have to adapt to something that is so unnecessary and has long since lost whatever comedic edge it originally might have had.

I agree. Heck, it's more then likely that they wouldn't even go to the other chat just to be able to speak freely.

And on actually battling I know not necessarily everyone battles much but with the new PC OU and the rest of us having an interest in NU or something, I think it's time to just start battling and not saying "oh no later on in pc ou" or whatever. I know someone (but yet idk who!) mentioned community create a team

Community create a team is fun when you pit two teams against each other, each making their owns teams and such and then having a designated battler from each side duke it out to see which side's team is better.

Streaming on Livestream while creating a team with the community watching and contributing to the team, laddering on other servers and seeing how well it does is fun.

but I was thinking maybe like... sorta, donating your old teams to the newer players so they'll be more motivated to battle and learn through experience rather than make a team since sometimes team building turns people away and such.

Like a team archive sort of thing? I think it would be cool if we had kind of cookie-cutter teams to start out with for different tiers and a guide for the tiers we will be specializing in. Kinda like starter decks for an RPG and he rulebooks that come along with them.

Anti

return of the king
Years
Saying that here is not gonna do anything though, we all know well that that is just childish and needs to stop. People complain about it but without talking to the ones who actually do it, it's not gonna stop. Heck just threaten with a temporary ban as a warning, when it happens again, instead of just pointing it out everywhere while SYNDROME isn't even here lmao.

I really have no idea why you're so adamant about this when this thread isn't even about enforcing problems but identifying them, and even though you said "everyone knows it's childish and needs to stop," weren't you just recently advocating for not changing anything at all...? I'm actually confused as to what the big deal is when saying something about it here and talking privately with people are not mutually exclusive events and how it is enforced isn't really all that relevant to this thread...is it?

Also,

I've definitely talked or have tried to talk with the people in question. Maybe one year or another it will pay dividends. It's really not as simple as you're making it out to be.

This is as true today as it was yesterday.

Gonzo

RNG Sommelier
Years
Time to add my two cents.

I was active in CBC in 2010/early '11. Old days, but back then I could only find OU battles. No one wanted to play lower tiers and that was pretty sad. It remains like this now.

Now, I mainly play doubles, VGC rules and the only people that know a bit about it are those in Trade Corner. People just plau OU here and that's all there are other tiers, other metagames definitely worth to play. Especially when in Western Europe and US you can play Regionals and/or Nationals.

I hate seeing a nicknamed Jirachi in Master Ball. OK, I don't mind hacks in casual play, but if there's tourney there should be no hacks. If you CBA to RNG, use pokecheck instead. That was the main reason why I quit my CBC adventure. Also, I think that people should inform they use legal hacks, but they don't.

These are things I don't like. Now time for my improvement suggestions:

Weekly events, for example: Saturday Night Battles. It could be either WiFi or PO, people just gather at idk, let's say 6PM and battle till they bleed :) It could be more than once a week, with different metagames featured on each day (Friday OU, Saturday VGC and so on)

Promoting lower tiers and other metagames, especially VGC, because it can make you participate in real life competitions. Who of you wouldn't like to be Regional/National/World Champion? :)

Mentor/Mentee program to help newbies.

Some random cool stuff that would build a strong community of competitive players, like PC's Battle Frontier/Pokemon League. Official team raters, because When I see Lax nature in people's RMT topics I wanna cry. Official name raters - because, why not? Nicknames are really cool thing when it comes to battling. I really like to see an opponents Pokemon and think "Oh, I see what you did there!". Some people could rate them in a sarcastic way, some could just praise them. I can't see any social stuff here other than clans with almost no users and weird tl;dr rules and point system.

Also, some kind of teamwork with TC would be neat. Hello? They produce legal, fully capable fighters and some of them do it for free!

that's pretty much all, peace 'n' love!

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023

Well no, luckily it's... been toned down in the last few days though, no clue why. :x Just sometimes it does get more than the boobs and that just has no point tbh.

Like a team archive sort of thing? I think it would be cool if we had kind of cookie-cutter teams to start out with for different tiers and a guide for the tiers we will be specializing in. Kinda like starter decks for an RPG and he rulebooks that come along with them.

Yeaah that'd be pretty awesome if that happened and I'm sure we have enough who would be willing.

Now, I mainly play doubles, VGC rules and the only people that know a bit about it are those in Trade Corner. People just plau OU here and that's all there are other tiers, other metagames definitely worth to play. Especially when in Western Europe and US you can play Regionals and/or Nationals.

I hate seeing a nicknamed Jirachi in Master Ball. OK, I don't mind hacks in casual play, but if there's tourney there should be no hacks. If you CBA to RNG, use pokecheck instead. That was the main reason why I quit my CBC adventure. Also, I think that people should inform they use legal hacks, but they don't.

These are things I don't like. Now time for my improvement suggestions:

Weekly events, for example: Saturday Night Battles. It could be either WiFi or PO, people just gather at idk, let's say 6PM and battle till they bleed :) It could be more than once a week, with different metagames featured on each day (Friday OU, Saturday VGC and so on)

Mentor/Mentee program to help newbies.

Some random cool stuff that would build a strong community of competitive players, like PC's Battle Frontier/Pokemon League. Official team raters, because When I see Lax nature in people's RMT topics I wanna cry. Official name raters - because, why not? Nicknames are really cool thing when it comes to battling. I really like to see an opponents Pokemon and think "Oh, I see what you did there!". Some people could rate them in a sarcastic way, some could just praise them. I can't see any social stuff here other than clans with almost no users and weird tl;dr rules and point system.

Also, some kind of teamwork with TC would be neat. Hello? They produce legal, fully capable fighters and some of them do it for free!

that's pretty much all, peace 'n' love!

Well, the other recent thread @ somewhere in CBC is about like promoting playing in other tiers as the main tiers (although basically most of the not-completely-forum side is sticking to nu lately). :( But yeah, I think it's from a lack of knowledge that we don't really play. I'd have no clue how to play the other stuff and it'd take me a bit to get adjusted to it, but maybe if there was PC's own guides for the other tiers (like you doubles players could maybe put together) then I'd be more willing tbh.

As for hacks... there's a rule against hacks unless both players agree (iirc at the last part), so if that happened it really shouldn't have and kinda shouldn't stop you from spending time here if it's not even allowed. XD;

Well maybe once the community is expanded or just more people here care, because the issue is not many people battle currently.

Well tutoring was failed here apparently before, and imo I think if we all collectively just help out the new people (and for those of us in NU/W's mentoring program to just get the people involved here then the rest is done by the group) then that might be good enough and seems to be working rn at least.

Other leagues are intended to occur someday, so ya. On team raters, well, there is the whole thing about "don't rate without knowledge" so having designated team raters kinda isn't that much of a use since it's only a few of us that do rate in the first place. XD; Besides as a community I think it's fairer if everyone rates rather than just four or five people who are allowed to, which generally seems kinda elitist when others can just correct your rate. As for name raters idk, seems like something that should fit into PGC imo, since technically that crosses into TC territory.

Also I like the idea of teamwork w/ TC.

Years
I agree. Heck, it's more then likely that they wouldn't even go to the other chat just to be able to speak freely.

Community create a team is fun when you pit two teams against each other, each making their owns teams and such and then having a designated battler from each side duke it out to see which side's team is better.

Streaming on Livestream while creating a team with the community watching and contributing to the team, laddering on other servers and seeing how well it does is fun.

Those are called 'teambats'; a community create a team is when the community makes a team

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen today
To quote Elf (and likely everyone else), "no one cares about T&E." Since this is likely not to happen anymore, there's no point in keeping it secret (or even before)... I hinted at this before that I wanted to make CBC more battle oriented. To do this, Anti and I thought of reorganizing CBC and changing the focus of the forum. I wanted the forum to be more about battling than rating, because after all this is a battling forum (in name only I guess?). Not only that, but I wanted members to enjoy being active in CBC, whereas currently being a regular is arguably a chore to do for most (rating teams). Basically, battling and posting in discussions would become the core of the forum, unlike right now (RMTs + discussion). This would require ordering the forum differently:

Spoiler:

It would be a switcheroo, if you will. I figured regulars would enjoy being active in that type of forum more than current CBC (that is, regulars that like to battle...). I know I would. With that said, it wouldn't be progress for the sake of progress. However, before doing this Anti and I agreed to give the current system (RMTs + discussion) another chance, as seen here (one of the reasons why that post was mad). Nothing significant happened after that obviously. We also agreed to try and get T&E active, to assure Anti's fear of the main forum being only one page long and for this to be worth it. That hasn't failed completely I guess, but even Community Night failed, which is one of the most sure-fire events (in my opinion, Anti lol). But even that failed, and no one has ever displayed much interest in T&E to begin with.

I have more reasons, but I wanted to keep this short and sweet. (I also didn't want to read through all those tl;dr arguments with Anti, hehe.) Like I said, I don't really see the point in keeping this private anymore. We need regulars' support for this to be successful, but I highly doubt T&E will become active regardless sadly.

Welcome Message: hey guess what, this is a battling server, who'd have thought

This is also very true, and one of the reasons why I don't think the switcheroo will work now.
---

I'm all for doing a soft ban on sex jokes, enforcing the "respect each other" rule, and just being stricter in general.

As for "I need a mod partner." I agree with Vrai completely; CBC is a community effort. There's a reason why we have these types of threads, in addition to the Improvement thread. I made them so that the community could be more involved. Staff ranking doesn't matter in CBC for the most part; anyone can help with the forum and offer new ideas. Also, whenever a user is given CBC moderator status, they eventually lose motivation (see: Aura, Elf, Anti, and I). I think we're better off with one moderator because of that.

Last edited:

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen yesterday
Ok sooo like gonna bump this mother up a bit.

What happened, like comm night was a success and then we like died and then has been no one on the server bar random brazilian's in like a week ? Ive been busy as hell the last week with work but i should be a little more free now.

PC OU ladder play still needs pushing. I still dont know how to do this though (would welcome ideas for it to be pushed, maybe give an arbitrary time period for the end of our first suspect test and give emblems for ladder positions at the end of said period? Idk man lol), the discussion thread just died after my last post.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Ok sooo like gonna bump this mother up a bit.

What happened, like comm night was a success and then we like died and then has been no one on the server bar random brazilian's in like a week ? Ive been busy as hell the last week with work but i should be a little more free now.

PC OU ladder play still needs pushing. I still dont know how to do this though (would welcome ideas for it to be pushed, maybe give an arbitrary time period for the end of our first suspect test and give emblems for ladder positions at the end of said period? Idk man lol), the discussion thread just died after my last post.
I've been on but like, not really when many others were on since storms etc, and idek, I've been trying to battle since I actually was interested in the tourney but it's like nobody else seems to care which is quite annoying.

I think it's just that we're used to right-click challenge and that not many of us are on at the time for laddering, so maybe just get into that habit. But yeah that idea could also work.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen today
I've just been taking a break from PC after the activity dipped. I was pretty disappointed when no one bothered to partake in the PC Tour; it seems like no one has any motivation to battle. There wasn't very much enthusiasm during the Community Night either. Also, I don't think emblems will help, because they didn't encourage anyone to use the ladder in the first place. I even offered server authority for anyone that wins in the PC Tour, but that didn't help at all. I'm not sure if we should need incentives for people to battle. Battling should be something we want to do, and I can't do anything with the forum if no one wants to battle.

Edit: Like I said before, I can make it so that battles initiated via challenge will be counted towards the ladder rankings. Basically, all battles done on the server will be considered ladder battles after that.

Last edited:
Back