• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Favorite new evolution/pre-evolution introduced in Gen4 ?

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
Generation IV brought us many new evolutions and pre-evolutions. Meaning Pokemon that evolve from ones that already exist. (29 new evolutions/pre-evolutions were introduced to be exact). Generation IV also introduced two new methods of evolution; when the Pokemon learned a certain move and level up, and when a Pokemon is trained in a certain area. It also introduced new evolution-inducing held items and new evolution stones such as the Dusk Stone, Shiny Stone, Razor Claw, Dubious Disc and Electrizer. There was also new pre-evolutions introduced in generation IV such as Happiny and Bonsly.

So what is is your favorite new evolution/pre-evolution introduced in Generation IV?

Mine would be Electivire and Weavile. It has a really cool design and pretty good STAB moves, and stats I guess. Weavile is my all-time favorite Ice-type. It's mainly for it's design and I've always like Sneasel. My Weavile in Heartgold helped me beat Lance so I'm pretty dependent on it.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
I would say Magmortar, he looks really awesome with his cannon like arm. And it's really awesome that Magmar finally got an evolution :D

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Oct 25, 2012
Froslass, 'cause Ice+Ghost is so cooool. I tend to not like Pre-Evos that come generations later. It's like a step backwards, it makes no sense. Sorry Happiny. :P

Yellow Silver Nostalgia

Those Were The Days
Years
  • Seen Aug 20, 2014
It was such a gamble. Some great designs came out of it but then there were also a lot of fails.

Bonsly - Fail. Sudowoodo is terrible and was in deperate need of evolving into something cooler. Baby versions are for good Pokemon.

Mime Jr - Fail. Mr Mime was always a brilliant concept with a terrible design, and this is no different. How does it build mime shields with such tiny hands?

Happiny - Success. I don't like cute Pokemon but this one's pretty cute.

Munchlax - Success. I think everyone had this idea themselves years ago.

Weavile - Success

Magnezone - Success. It's an improvement on Magneton but that's not exactly hard.

Lickilicky - Fail. Looks so much worse than Lickitung. It looks more like a prevolution.

Rhyperior - Epic fail. I never liked Rhydon because it's slow and the spinning drill just doesn't make sense, and now they've made it worse by making it too fat to move. Rhyhorn had so much potential and they ruined it. Twice.

Tangrowth - Success. An improvement on Tangela but still a very basic design.

Electivire - Success. Probably most people's favourite with good reason. Great design.

Magmortar - Epic Fail. Blaine's Magmar was so cool and this thing is just ridiculous. It's like a big egg with trumpets for arms and the face of a psychopathic duck.

Togekiss - Eh, it's not so bad. Togetic was always going to be hard to turn into something cool. The picture of it isn't at a great angle.

Yanmega - Same as above really, Yanma's really boring and it was always going to be difficult turning it into something cool. Well, it's cool but it would be cooler if nature hadn't thought of it first. It's just a dragonfly.

Leafeon and Glaceon - I've never been a fan of the Eeveelutions, but I could always appreciate them. Now they've just gone too far, and the designs were very lazy.

Gliscor - Success. I always liked Gligar, and even though I still prefer Gligar, there's no denying that Gliscor is a very scary vampire scorpion thing.

Mamoswine - Success. It's not the best but it's a big improvement on Piloswine.

Porygon-Z - Pointless.

Gallade - Really awkward looking.

Probopass - Stupid moustache face. At this point, you really start to think the Pokemon designers all need to be fired, and then...

Dusknoir - Epic success. Best new evolution by far. The ghost type Pokemon that had been lacking since the first generation, finally here. Brilliant design and brilliant character. Both feared and kindly.

Sakura Rain

→Let's laugh at everything!
Years
Togekiiiiiiiiss. I just love Togekiss, it's so cute and looks really huggable and it is incredibly annoying in a battle (paraflinch ftw) and it's just my favorite.

I also adore Froslass, and Munchlax and especially Mamoswine, but I'm not very fond of Rhyperior or Lickilicky :/ Porygon-Z is pretty cool too, its appearance makes it look full-tilt bonkers and that's a plus in my book.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
For the mostpart I quite like all the new evolutions as well as the pre-evolutions/baby pokemon the Fourth Generation gaves us. In regards to the evolutions of previous generation pokemon like, Weavile, Gliscor, Togekiss, Magnezone, Tangrowth, Yanmega, Dusknoir, Electivire, Magmortar, Froslass and Mamoswine I really like them. However, I wasn't really fond of Rhyperior or Lickilicky, mainly because I found them to ruin their previous evolutions. (Rhydon and Lickitung respectively).

All in all, I really liked these new additions, even though some weren't particularly appealing to me.

Last edited:

Rainbow Arcanine

now known as aslan
Years
Gen IV,introduced some wonderful Pokemon ^^.Togetic before Togekiss came along was called weak and useless by people but when Togekiss came along that all changed.This adorable yet powerful creature for a normal/flying type is diverse and can pack a punch while being sturdy and defensive.

Weavile and Gligar were awesome evolutions for Sneasel and Gligar who were desperately in need of evolutions.To be honest the only thing that held me back from using Sneasel and Gligar were because of no evolutions.

Honchkrow and Misdreavus were also wonderful.Honchkrow proved to be a powerful,sneaky and useful bird with different moves like Mean Look along with nasty dark type moves.Misdreavus's design was elegant and it proved to be quite powerful as well.

All the others were good additions and I personally loved them.For pre-evolutions I liked Munchlax,it was pretty cute and defensive :3.

FrostPheonix

Eternity.
Years
Magmortar and Electivire, were awesome little pokes. I still have electivire on my team. And I would say Gallade was awesome, I was really happy they did something more with the ralts line. And the fact that he has to be a boy is unique too.

Years
I was honestly never a fan of Glalie prior to Gen IV, so I would never bother catching Snorunt in Sapphire. Froslass, though, instantly became one of my favorite Pokemon, especially thanks to it's Ice/Ghost typing. I also felt that the other Ice type evolutions were done quite well (Weavile, Mamoswine, Glaceon), even if I wasn't a fan of most of the other ones.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Togekiss of course! It's an amazingly strong Pokémon which looks wonderful and has some really kick-ass moves like Nasty Plot and Aura Sphere. It took an adorable like of Pokémon and turned them badass :D I also love Leafeon since it's very elegant and also rather powerful with Swords Dance + Leaf Blade, but Togekiss definitely wins. I've used one in almost every Gen IV playthrough I've done, so it's definitely a favourite of mine to use on a team. Shame it's pretty difficult to get one in Sinnoh!

luke

Master of the Elements
Years
PROBOPASS!

I just love his cute little mustache and his bug eyes. He's just so adorable and tough. Too bad about his typing but low attack stats. But otherwise he's perfect in my eyes. <3

Following close behind are Togekiss, Electivire, Mamoswine, Roserade, Yanmega, Tangrowth and Porygon-Z of course!

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
I love Togekiss and Magmortar, I think they are great upgrades to their evolutionary lines.

LividZephyr

Oxymoron, not a moron, thanks
Years
Togekiss and Weavile are both amazing. Honorable mentions to Gallade, Mamoswine, Leafeon, Yanmega, and Frostlass. Worst go to Mime Jr and Bonsly. Munchlax was the only decent pre-evolution and was so dang hard to get...

Years
Man I have loads of fave new evolutions of old Pokemon introduced in Gen 4. My absolute faves being Togekiss, Roserade, Yanmega, Froslass, Dusknoir, Honchkrow, Mismagius, Mamoswine, Porygon-Z, Leafeon and Glaceon.

As for the new pre-evos, I love Happiny and Munchlax for being cute.

Zozma

I'm a blur
Years
Personally, I love Leafeon's design... Can't stand Glaceon, though.
I love Sneasel but quite honestly, didn't care for Weavile's design.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Oct 18, 2012
Mine is definitely Electabuzz ==> Electivire! Electivire is one of my all time favorite Pokemon! I have on in Black 2 and I used him a lot in the competitive meta in gen 4.

The Grubby Pup

Where's mah shiny squeaky ball
Years
aww, there's so many. My favorite parts about the Pokemon games are when an old pokemon evolve further.

Anyways, here's a list of my favorites.

Honchkrow, Mismagius, Glaceon, Leafeon, Gliscor, Froslass, Gallade, Ambimpom and Togekiss are my favorite newly introduced further evolution.

#isthenumbersign
Years
I like Ambipom. Well I like pretty much all of them except Tangrowth. Because it just looks like an over-sized Tangela. Some of the evolution methods get pretty stupid though, not gonna lie.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 16, 2022
I dislike the majority of the new evolutions that gen IV gave us. Almost all of them are unnecessary (Rhyperior), horribly designed (Magmotar), lazy (Tangrowth) and just ruin a good Pokemon (Ambipom).

The only ones I like are Froslass, Leafeon, Weavile, Honchkrow (my favourite) and Gallade.

About the pre-evo baby pokemon - I don't honestly care for any of them, although I do like Mantyke and Munchlax.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
Oh no, there's a few baby Pokemon that I do in fact dislike. Bonsly and Mantyke I really...hate. I know hate is a strong word, but I find their designs too simple, and a tad ugly. :x

Back