• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"What is this? Is it fake? How much is it worth?" Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen today
Hello guys,

My dad found cards in my old boys basket! Can anyone help me with the value of these cards as parts or as a whole? Some cards are English and some are Dutch. I got 18 uncommon ones and another load of common ones. I would say they're not in best shape anymore, but almost none of them got folds or scratches on them.
Thanks a lot in advance for giving response! :smile:

They're not shadowless and most are in poor condition. Without being mean you'd be lucky to get a few euros for the lot

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 16, 2018
Haha fair enough. I must have gotten it wrong about shadowless then. Thanks for clearing up. Appreciate!

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen today
Haha fair enough. I must have gotten it wrong about shadowless then. Thanks for clearing up. Appreciate!

No problem pal, I'm not sure we ever had much shadowless stuff in Europe, from what I gather it was much more of a Stateside thing

shopping

That's a shadowless, the card is a bit lighter and there's no shadow on the right border

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Nov 24, 2018
Hi All! I was about to throw out some 1999 Nintendo Power magazines and came across these two cards inserted in them. Does anyone know if they carry any value? Both have never even been taken off their cardboard backing so are in mint condition...

1) Charmeleon 24/102 - shadowless, 1st edition

2) Pikachu 58/102 - yellow cheeks, E3 edition (has gold embroidered E3 just under bottom right of portrait), has shadow around portrait

Thanks very much for your help!

Years
Hi All! I was about to throw out some 1999 Nintendo Power magazines and came across these two cards inserted in them. Does anyone know if they carry any value? Both have never even been taken off their cardboard backing so are in mint condition...

1) Charmeleon 24/102 - shadowless, 1st edition

2) Pikachu 58/102 - yellow cheeks, E3 edition (has gold embroidered E3 just under bottom right of portrait), has shadow around portrait

Thanks very much for your help!

TCGPlayer market price on the E3 stamped Pikachu with the yellow cheeks is $14.86 currently.

If there's nothign else special about the Charmeleon aside from shadowless and first edition, it's about $1.50 to $2 based on what I can find.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Dec 4, 2018
recently bought pokemon cards in bulk i was wondering if these are even real? ( ive got way more

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2018
CHARIZARD GX HYPER SECRET RARE

So I just discovered a card and I'm hoping to get opinions to get a value on this card, it's the CHARIZARD GX HYPER SECRET RARE. Although it's not your average card it's misprinted 158/146 when it's supposed to be printed 150/146 according to Pokémon.com. It's the first I've seen thus far, any help and opinions would be great.
Card will be getting sent for psa grading and will be looked at my certified expert btw

Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Dec 23, 2018
Pokemon generation 1 collection

Hey Gang,

I have recently discovered my old Pokemon series 1 collection. All authentic and in mint condition. What are they worth?

Regards

Ramses.

Years
So I just discovered a card and I'm hoping to get opinions to get a value on this card, it's the CHARIZARD GX HYPER SECRET RARE. Although it's not your average card it's misprinted 158/146 when it's supposed to be printed 150/146 according to Pokémon.com. It's the first I've seen thus far, any help and opinions would be great.
Card will be getting sent for psa grading and will be looked at my certified expert btw

I have merged your post into the appropriate thread for these types of questions.

Do you have photos? That sounds like a counterfeit rather than a misprint, particularly if you can't find any that match it online.

Hey Gang,

I have recently discovered my old Pokemon series 1 collection. All authentic and in mint condition. What are they worth?

Regards

Ramses.

I have merged your post into the appropriate thread for these types of questions.

Also, we need more details on what cards you actually have. Also, they're probably in near-mint condition at best. Mint basically means new in pack and untouched.

Though the average price of sold listings on eBay of cards that match what you have as well as listings on TCG Player should be helpful for you in determining actual value of your cards.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
I did some research but without a picture of the card and specifically the potentially misprinted area it's impossible to determine its authenticity. The only Charizard GX Hyper-Secret rare is from Burning Shadows and there's 147 cards in that set - not 146. And even a supposed misprinted one I found on collectors.com still had 150/147 on it (and after close inspection was indistinguishable from a 'normal' Charizard GX - thought they did not have pictures of the back of the card so make of that what you will). I'm highly suspect that you have a real card on your hands there. Sorry, man. :(

But hey, I'd love to be proven wrong! I hope you get us some pics!

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 58
  • Seen Dec 25, 2018
Aerodactyl 24/64 holo HP 250 LV. 40 #18 brand II?

Question, new to the forum, so be gentle LOL I found a pokemon card from most likely 1999, weird hologram over entire card, no copyright or manufacturer on bottom line, just 24/64 with black star and II (ii) on right side where the logo should be! I searched several databases and found nothing? Any help would be appreciated! Thank you!!!

Attachments

• 15457854399814505254648296943316.jpg
    15457854399814505254648296943316.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 12
Years
Question, new to the forum, so be gentle LOL I found a pokemon card from most likely 1999, weird hologram over entire card, no copyright or manufacturer on bottom line, just 24/64 with black star and II (ii) on right side where the logo should be! I searched several databases and found nothing? Any help would be appreciated! Thank you!!!

I've gone ahead and moved your post to the appropriate thread for this type of question.

So, basically, that's a counterfeit. That particular holo pattern has never been used on any card is the immediate giveaway to me, but there are other tells, like the 250 HP the card has, which on the earliest cards was not a thing (iirc there weren't any cards with that much HP until a Wailord card was printed sometime in the last 10 years). That and the HP font does not match the font size of the text "HP" next to it. If it were a legit card, it would match.

Another tell is the font Aerodactyl is written in, which should match the fonts the attacks are written in. And the attack damage is ridiculous for an early era card as well.

That art is also pretty poorly edited onto the card.

That symbol that they're trying to pass off as a set symbol to the bottom right of the picture is also not a symbol that has been used in the Pokemon TCG to indicate any sets whatsoever.

Several of these following tells are related:
1. The card says evolves from Pidgeotto. Aerodactyl does not evolve from Pidgeotto. Pidgeot does.
2. The attacks, aside from the damage - which was heavily edited - are a match both in cost, name, and effect for the Jungle Pidgeot card.
3. 24/64 is the collector's number of a non-holo Pidgeot from the Jungle set.
4. That Pokedex flavor text at the bottom of the card is a perfect match for the Pokedex flavor text on that Pidgeot card.

Basically, what I'm saying is that this was a mostly poorly done counterfeit you have.

It also looks like it's smaller than the card you have behind it. That's another tell.

Hope this helps.

Years
  • Age 58
  • Seen Dec 25, 2018
Wow, yeah I was really sceptical also about the card and was really just interested in finding out. The most interesting thing is I bought all the cards for my son, and only from box sets in a store, never traded cards or bought cards from anywhere else. All the cards went into plastic hard cases and were stored from 2000 until last month. I took them out to look at them in 2018, weird I guess! Thanks for your time.

Years
Wow, yeah I was really sceptical also about the card and was really just interested in finding out. The most interesting thing is I bought all the cards for my son, and only from box sets in a store, never traded cards or bought cards from anywhere else. All the cards went into plastic hard cases and were stored from 2000 until last month. I took them out to look at them in 2018, weird I guess! Thanks for your time.

The thing is, repacker packs get put on shelves next to official product, and sometimes the repackers do a terrible job at auditing the product they buy to re-pack before packing it up and selling it to the distributors that distribute/sell Pokemon cards to major retailers. Because of this, if you weren't fully attuned to what to look for on an official package, you could end up grabbing one of these and they might have some counterfeits/fakes in them. Many of these repackaged packs did have legit cards, too, so that's why they continue to be permitted.

Also, dollar stores have historically been hotbeds for finding counterfeit packs. They do sell real packs, too, but dollar stores tended to overwhelmingly have counterfeit Pokemon TCG product.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
Fairly certain that Aerodactyl is a screen grab from the anime too. I feel like I recognize it. I'd keep the card for the novelty of it though! It tells a story of the history of you and your son collecting Pokémon cards and that's always fun and nostalgic to return to. I've got plenty of counterfeit cards in my collection just because they make me happy! :)

If you're ever worried about whether or not you're buying legitimate packs, go to your local game or hobby store and support them!

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Dec 14, 2019
Hey, all. My lil bro just picked up some pokemon cards from a garage sale, and I looked over them to see if he got anything good. I dont know anything about card rarity or sets from pokemon, as im more into mtg and vanguard. Anyway, there were a couple full arts here and there that are nice, but one in particular stood out. I did an ebay search, and spent about 20 mins online trying to find this print without success.

Its a full art non-holo Proffessor Sycamore, 114/114 with a white star and what looks like a sheriffs badge in the bottom right corner. Usually worth ~$5. However, the name is Profesor Ciprés, indicating a spanish Print, but the card text itself is English with the "Discard your hand and draw 7 cards" and "you may play only 1 supporter card during your turn (before your attack)
Everything i saw with Profesor Ciprés also had spanish card text, and vice-versa.
Is this a translation misprint, conterfeit, or actually just a commonish card that I couldnt find a copy of?

Last edited:
Years
Hey, all. My lil bro just picked up some pokemon cards from a garage sale, and I looked over them to see if he got anything good. I dont know anything about card rarity or sets from pokemon, as im more into mtg and vanguard. Anyway, there were a couple full arts here and there that are nice, but one in particular stood out. I did an ebay search, and spent about 20 mins online trying to find this print without success.

Its a full art non-holo Proffessor Sycamore, 114/114 with a white star and what looks like a sheriffs badge in the bottom right corner. Usually worth ~$5. However, the name is Profesor Ciprés, indicating a spanish Print, but the card text itself is English with the "Discard your hand and draw 7 cards" and "you may play only 1 supporter card during your turn (before your attack)
Everything i saw with Profesor Ciprés also had spanish card text, and vice-versa.
Is this a translation misprint, conterfeit, or actually just a commonish card that I couldnt find a copy of?

Probably a counterfeit if it's mixing languages. Got a photo?

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jan 18, 2020
I have a Team Rocket 4/82 Dark Charizard holo But it looks a lot lighter than a normal Dark Charizard. My question: How can I see if it's a real misprint or just a sun bleached card?

Thanks, Karen

KHIUJ2K

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
I have a Team Rocket 4/82 Dark Charizard holo But it looks a lot lighter than a normal Dark Charizard. My question: How can I see if it's a real misprint or just a sun bleached card?

Thanks, Karen

KHIUJ2K

Hi there! Looking at the card, it appears to not be a misprint, but a victim of low printer ink when they printed the red background. And looking at the slightly folded corner, it appears to be real too.

Obviously I can't tell for sure because it could be over exposure from your camera, but because of the consistency of the lightening (usually with sun bleaching or tinting you end up with discoloration in different areas or a yellow cast), I think what you have there is a manufacturing error. Unfortunately, these kinds of errors are rather common and nothing to write home about. It's just a slightly lighter card, that's all. Still a cool one though! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back