• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ruby hack: Pokemon Ruby 2

Which OW sprites for brendan/may would look better?

• Ruby/Sapphire

Votes: 6 11.3%
  • Firered/LeafGreen

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • Customized/New

Votes: 36 67.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pinta77

Original Rom: Ruby

Downloads
Beta 0.9

BETA 1.0
Spoiler:

Beta 1.1:

Banners thanks to Mavy42

(code on page 3)
k0ovbm.png

(code on page 4)

pink.jpg

intro.jpg

videos/previews
--------------
Meeting Rui:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHo-exl-9D0
Pokemon Pink Version Trailer/Teaser:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bW7puc-pXO4
Meeting Ivan:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqdNG7QDqKw
Riding Latios & Latias:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jpMEjSlVdw&feature=youtu.be
Daycare/The Pokemaze/Meeting Ivan(no, the other Ivan ;) :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVbC8Bswqm4

Setting:
(Takes place after Pokemon Ruby\Sapphire\Emerald and before Pokemon Colosseum) You are a pokemon trainer who has just beat the Hoenn League Champion. Time goes by, and you decide to become a pokemon ranger. Professor Birch supports you, and moves his research to the Lunah Region, the region where your Pokemon Ranger work will be done.

WARNING: The Plot is "under construction". Ex: The Gym Leader with level 100's has been removed :P

Plot: You start the game off on your first mission. You are investigating Uncharted Island (a formally undiscovered island) because it has been raining non-stop lately, and people worry that the island may flood. You come out of a small cave to find that you have left your bag with your pokedex, and your trusty starter pokemon from Hoenn in a puddle. Your Marshtomp [level 39], Combusken [level 41], Sceptile [level 40], and Pikachu [level 43] are fine, however your pokedex appears to have lost all previous data.

You return to the Lunah Region leaving the Uncharted Island rain issue unresolved, only because you couldn't find the slightest lead as to why it is raining. Now that you are back to the Lunah region, you can challenge the 8 Gym Leaders and challenge the Elite 4 as well as complete Ranger missions. But it wont be as easy as it sounds. You find out even completing gyms will be a challenge when you learn the second gym leader is packing level 100 pokemon! There has to be another way...

Of course you'll run into some trouble along the way, and not the same ole' same. Team Snagem has collaborated with and revived Team Rocket. What on earth could they be up to? And when you think it can't get any worse, one of your friends is working with team snagem. But who!?

Screen Shots

Spoiler:

------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for checking out my thread. It will be a while before this game is complete. I'd rather release a complete game then a bunch of betas, but I may release a beta or 2.

CREDITS
Tools
---------
Advance Map - Lu-Ho
PET - The Helmeted Rodent
OverworldEditorRE - HackMew
unLZ.GBA - HenSOFT
pksvui - Score_Under
VBA - Forgotten and the VBA team
APE - Hackmew
Irfan View -

Sprites (Slightly tweaked or recolored to fit in some cases)
-------------
Mirror B sprite - Nissemann123456789
Mirror B (OW) - Unknown Source
Rui Sprite - Creampuff
Rui (OW) - Unknown Source
Firebreather Sprite - Quilava's Master
2nd gym leader sprite - Yanalucis
"Male" Couple - Pinta77
Wes - unknown source
Wes (OW) - Kagex
Team Snagem Grunt - Unknown Source
Team Snagem Grunt(OW) - Unknown Source
Team Rocket Pink - Pinta77
Support Banner - Mavy42
Pianta Sprite (intro) - Scott

Last edited:

Al3x

Pokémon Fan
Years
This is cool, but wouldn't you start off with some fairly high leveled pokemon if you were the champion? And I think you could think of a more original name for the hack. Besides that keep up the great work.

Years
Seems like a nice Hack you''ve some quite original plans with the missions and stuff
The only thing is it's Kinda weird to begin with a high-leveled Pokemon at the start, you've gotta come up with something better I guess , Like your Pokemon are helping Birch cuz he moved to a other reign and gives you a weaker Pokemon for your adventure or the headquarters of the Pokemon rangers gives you a new partner for your missions like a starter or a cute electric pokemon.

I see great potentional in this hack,
Keep up the good work :D

blazerj13

Impossibly Possible~
Years
like the screenies and the storyline sounds great, but if your a pokemon ranger in the game, why not change the players sprite? also ruby 2? why not think up a more clever name like pokemon ruby rangers, or going on what you said with uncharted island, pokemon monsoon.

Mr. Black

Master Of Reality
Years
Why calling this ruby 2 ? Since it's not a sequel to ruby( it's not in hoenn ) You could run a competition asking a name from other members a suggestion about the hack's name if you can't find one :P

Pinta77

This is cool, but wouldn't you start off with some fairly high leveled pokemon if you were the champion?

You start off with a level 40 marshtomp. Realistically, you'd need higher level pokemon to beat the hoenn elite four, but I didn't want to make it too high leveled. I was also going to start you off with more then just one pokemon, but I was having problems scripting it. I'm not very familiar with PKSV-ui but it's all I have available to use now. Now that I've been using PKSV-ui a little more, i could go back and change it, and I probably will.

About the sprite, I would change it a bit, but I suck at spriting sooo bad it's not even funny. It might be nice to have something a little different(that's why i used the overworld sprites from fr/lg) but I'd rather have the original stuff then a terrible looking sprite.

As far as the name goes... um hehe, I can't think of anything else. If anyone can think of something better, please feel free to post it. I liked Pokemon Monsoon, that's a possibility. Pokemon Ruby Rangers has been used though, hasn't it?

Thank you all for the feedback. It means a lot :)

Years
  • Seen Jan 15, 2017
looks good ^^ hope you keep creating it looking forward the alpha if you make one :D

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
Pokémon Ranger? Interesting...
But why Marshtomp on level 40? One level and you have Swampert anyway so why not start with Swampert?
Or will Marshtomp evolve on a different level?
And could you re-map the sewer? It looks really weird... it looks more like bunch of tile errors than a map... Also door in waterfall? o.O Doesn't seem legit o.O

Mr. Black

Master Of Reality
Years
And why starting whith a marshtomp only ? you could give the player the option to choose between the three gen III starters at lv.35 ( for example)
As for name suggestions...
pokémon ranger quest
or
pokémon Lunah origins ....can't think anything else :P

Last edited:

Tcoppy

Favorite Stand
Years
It sounds like a good hack but where are the credits for the tool makers tools you used? It's not really that bad, but it's more polite and I know some people that make stuff, like tools, want credit.

Last edited:

munchhack

Advanced Scripter
Years
Needs more work

I think you need a bit more work, but I like the fact how you have the fire red brandon sprite instead of the regular ruby and sapphire one

Sarcastic Prince

Starting anew...
Years
First of all, since we are exploring in a whole new region, the title should be something else other than Ruby 2.

Secondly, the sewers need more work. You can borrow some of these tiles from Azure Horizons. Remember to give credit.

Thirdly, you can easily script PKMN battles by using XSE. Refer to here: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=164276

Pokéscript is seriously outdated, almost nobody uses it anymore.

Fourthly, since this is a Ruby hack, you should probably replace the tiles to FR tiles and the NPCs too, since I see you have inserted some FR OWs.

Lastly, I think you need to have an OW spriter and spriter, unless you can sprite yourself, of course.

Pinta77

Thanks, I'll check out XSE. Sounds promising. Also, I might use the tiles you were talking about, but I don't want to import FR/LG tiles. I honestly don't like them, they're kind of ugly in my opinion. Also, I've never edited tiles before, I'm kinda scared :o

Some of the OW's look nice, especially the Ruby/Sapphire characters, but that's about it. I know FR/LG are a lot newer, and it seems you can do a little more with them script wise, I prefer hacking Ruby/Sapphire.
---
No new pics, but here's a short clip. Here, you meet Rui (your partner on pokemon colosseum) and your friend on this game. And if your character is male, then your potential girlfriend ;) <3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHo-exl-9D0

Credits have been added to first post

This hack is still being worked on. I haven't posted anything new yet because I've been working on it all day everyday. I will post some new screenshots soon as well. I have made significant progress and improved some of my scripts, and I'm pretty happy with how it's going so far.

As far as the name goes, I'm still open to suggestions. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. The setting has been more clearly set at post-ruby\sapphire and pre-Pokemon Colosseum, with characters from both. Wes is still working with Team Snagem at this point, and Wally gets mixed up in it. Steven still has your back though ;) I think it will be an interesting/unique mix.

Last edited:

Sarcastic Prince

Starting anew...
Years
@Sarcastic Prince
Thanks, I'll check out XSE. Sounds promising. Also, I might use the tiles you were talking about, but I don't want to import FR/LG tiles. I honestly don't like them, they're kind of ugly in my opinion. Also, I've never edited tiles before, I'm kinda scared :o

Some of the OW's look nice, especially the Ruby/Sapphire characters, but that's about it. I know FR/LG are a lot newer, and it seems you can do a little more with them script wise, I prefer hacking Ruby/Sapphire.
---
No new pics, but here's a short clip. Here, you meet Rui (your partner on pokemon colosseum) and your friend on this game. And if your character is male, then your potential girlfriend ;) <3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHo-exl-9D0

It's fine if you don't like FR/LG tiles. There are other tiles you can use, like the ones Mexicans use in their Ruby hacks. You can take a look at them here: http://www.pokecommunity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=184
PKMN: Golden Island

If you don't know how to import tiles, you can always hire a tiler to assist you with it.

Oh, and XSE is like the most commonly used scripting tool used by most hackers.

Also, I actually prefer Ruby hacks over FR/LG ones, it's just that Ruby and Emerald hacks have to do a lot of edits graphic wise in order for them to be appreciated.

Lastly, woah, potential girlfriend? Cool, I really like romantic events or stories, I'll be sure to keep an eye on it.

About the script:
You might want to change Rui's (Oh, and Rui's OW looks kinda nice, did you make it yourself?) text from yellow to some other color. Yellow, in my opinion, is too bright and it kinda hurts my eyes reading the text.

PS: Do you plan on doing decapitalization? And is the protagonist a silent character? If you are going to further develop Rui's relationship with the protagonist needs to talk in order for it to make sense.

Last edited:

Mr. Black

Master Of Reality
Years
Since Marshtomp is the starter( :() is there the possibility to have other gen 3 starters at the begining of the game ( torchic , treecko) or you can add the option to choose one of the starters ?

Pinta77

The starter pokemon have been changed.(see first post) It's still not a realistic party to beat the elite 4 with, but it's a bit more believable in my opinion. I need to do something about combusken though because while swampert and sceptile learn muddy water and leafblade(respectively), combusken appears to be too high level and has passed up blaze kick. I could fix that i suppose. (forgot what the program is called to do that >.<)

@sarcastic prince
you've brought up an excellent point. Up to this point, the protagonist is a silent character. I have an idea in mind in which you aren't playing as the protagonist for a quick second, which would open up the door for him/her to talk. I have no clue if I'll be able to script that though. We'll find out.

I'll see what other colors I can use besides yellow.

Also, if you don't choose the boy, Rui will start to flirt with Wally ;) just sayin.

Also, to anyone who thinks the sewer is a graphical mess, you'll be happy to know it's huge. How would you like to get lost in it? ;) I don't think there are any better tiles in the game to use, so I might have to look into custom tiles. It's something I've never done before.

Last edited:

Sarcastic Prince

Starting anew...
Years
The starter pokemon have been changed.(see first post) It's still not a realistic party to beat the elite 4 with, but it's a bit more believable in my opinion. I need to do something about combusken though because while swampert and sceptile learn muddy water and leafblade(respectively), combusken appears to be too high level and has passed up blaze kick. I could fix that i suppose. (forgot what the program is called to do that >.<)

@sarcastic prince
you've brought up an excellent point. Up to this point, the protagonist is a silent character. I have an idea in mind in which you aren't playing as the protagonist for a quick second, which would open up the door for him/her to talk. I have no clue if I'll be able to script that though. We'll find out.

I'll see what other colors I can use besides yellow.

Also, if you don't choose the boy, Rui will start to flirt with Wally ;) just sayin.

Also, to anyone who thinks the sewer is a graphical mess, you'll be happy to know it's huge. How would you like to get lost in it? ;) I don't think there are any better tiles in the game to use, so I might have to look into custom tiles. It's something I've never done before.

Replies in bold:
1) You can edit moves by using Yape. Refer to here: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=135173

2)That requires ASM, a very advanced type of scripting.

3)That's fine, as long as long as it's still a romantic story, I'm all fine with it.

4)Like I've said before, Azure Horizons (Refer to here: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=151068) has some sewer tiles. You can ask permission to borrow them. Refer to give credtis.

Back