• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.
  • Want to share your adventures playing Pokémon?
    Check out our new Travel Journals forum for sharing playthroughs of ROM Hacks, Fan Games, and other Pokémon content!
  • IMPORTANT: Following a takedown request, the following hacks have been delisted from PokéCommunity:

• Pokémon Glazed
    • Pokémon: Giratina Strikes Back
    • Pokémon Flora Sky
    • Pokémon Stranded
    The downloads and discussion threads for these hacks will no longer be accessible, and staff will be unable to return questions regarding accessing this content.

Editing Trainers (Image + Palette)

Years
Hi, I am pretty knew to the Pokemon community,
first of all I am finding it a bit difficult in terms of user friendly
anyway
if anyone could please help me with something, i have done research on this for so long,
I want to know how to change the intro sprite of proffessor oak in pokemon fire red before you start the in game
if any one could please help me that would be great! :D

Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2011
people ulnz is so confusing just use NSE its so much better now they posted a new one you'll have to find the offsets for trainers and plug those in to the navigator to find the sprites it lets you edit them right there and you can edit pallets too. you dont have to import and export and all that $h!t

Years
  • Seen Dec 30, 2012
Well I can replace the trainers with the correct pallets like this but for some reason it freezes when I try to take a potion out of the PC. =S

Edit: I figured out what I was doing wrong. I wasn't allowing enough room for the offsets because I forgot to copy the numbers.
Double Edit: Even when I follow the directions exactly it messes up the pallet for the gentlemen.

people ulnz is so confusing just use NSE its so much better now they posted a new one you'll have to find the offsets for trainers and plug those in to the navigator to find the sprites it lets you edit them right there and you can edit pallets too. you dont have to import and export and all that $h!t

How do you access the trainer sprites from NSE? I mean I know you can edit the mini sprites but what about the ones that you see at the beginning of the battle?

Last edited:

EdensElite

No0b, but getting there.
Years
  • Age 28
  • UK
  • Seen Jul 4, 2014
Yeah, I realise a few weeks after how much more convenient NSE is, at the moment I'm really busy with school so I haven't been hacking. When I come back to it, I'll be sure to update the tutorial.

Years
  • Seen Aug 1, 2012
hey has anyone figured out a way to get this to work on windows 7? if not could i post my image here and have someone index it?

Years
"Open it back up in Irfanview to check if the BG colour is the same as the first colour in the palette"

What if it doesn't change? What if its the same as it was before? What would I be doing wrong?

Years
  • Seen Jul 30, 2012
I follow the guide correctly, I corrected the pallete to come out with the messed up image, I then opened it up in paint and clicked 'Ctrl + V' to paste it, then I saved it and reopened it in Irfanview as the corrected image, but the pallete is the same as when I first opened it in Irfanview. What am I doing wrong? Help is appreciated!

Years
  • Seen Jul 24, 2012
Any idea what to do if, when the compressed size is too big, the number that shows up contains a letter, like "3E4"?

Years
  • Seen May 24, 2012
I did everything you did, but when I try to open my hacked version of the game, it just stays white. I did also try with flash 128K. How can I fix this? (I did also try this with multiple VBA's and an other game)

Years
  • Seen Jan 21, 2021
I couldn't index the image correctly. I did everything right more than eight times, but not once did it work. I use Windows 7 by the way. What could I be doing wrong? It could be because of the step where you paste the original image into paint. Are you supposed to save it after you paste it?

Years
  • Seen Jan 21, 2021
I think I might have figured out part of it. The background color isn't the fourth option for editing the pallet. So am I supposed to just edit the fourth color option anyways, or do I have to do something to get that to happen?

EDIT: Well, that's not it. Not even what shows in the tutorial. :P

EDIT #2: I got it working! I didn't notice I needed the old version of paint. But still one more question: if I were to start playing, and then in the middle, I edited a sprite, would it still show the new sprite even on my old game data that existed first?

But I also got a problem with the next step. When writing the new picture to the rom, it came up as 0x2c4 for the compressed size. What's going on?

Last edited:

EdensElite

No0b, but getting there.
Years
  • Age 28
  • UK
  • Seen Jul 4, 2014
Yeah Windows 7 Paint doesn't work aha :). Nooope it wouldn't show because the sprite is stored in the RAM I think? It might change/freeze if you refresh the screen though but I'm not very sure. 0x2C4 seems like a legitimate hexadecimal number to me? Just use that normally.

Years
I have found that the easiest way to edit trainers of no particular importance is to leave them there and just edit their teams using VsTrainer. For important trainers or trainers that revert to the game that is being hacked over unfortunately you can't do this though.

Years
  • Seen Jan 21, 2021
Yeah Windows 7 Paint doesn't work aha :). Nooope it wouldn't show because the sprite is stored in the RAM I think? It might change/freeze if you refresh the screen though but I'm not very sure. 0x2C4 seems like a legitimate hexadecimal number to me? Just use that normally.

This is what I was talking about. Here's what I get for this picture. There is no way I can put that into the FSF, so is it something to do with the picture I put in?

Back