• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon Cobalt [Indefinite Hiatus]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen May 29, 2013
I just discovered ROM hacks. I thought this would be a solid place to start. One question, how complete is this? Literally just started me playthrough, and I'm in awe of what people can do. Keep up the good work!

Years
Spherical. Wow man wdf!!! This hack is so Damm smexy! I've never said that before, ut i'd LOVE to help you!!! Just Pm me and tell me what to do W0W! I guess you saw my topic 'bout my hack and i hope you like the music cuz i can help you with everything you want about music editing. Fufufu (as like maxie says usually). Sorry about my grammar - im writing dat from my galaxy cuz there's no battery on my ipod... P.s I've some advices about that devon world ;)))
Thanks man!

Dat lava...
Can we surf on it? xD
You know... "The lava is deep red, would you like to surf" :D
Well... It would be cool but I've already scripted something else - albeit a lot less badass. Haha, thanks!

this hack just keeps getting better and better :]
;)

I love your consistency of updating! That is one badass looking screenie there. I'm guessing we can lava surf, like in light platinum, to get to the heatran. Keep on amazing us, Spherical! Rock on!
Like I said to Ash493, I haven't added lava surfing though it is a funny idea. Thanks!

''The lava is deep red, would you like to burn"

Regardless, that screen looks amazing! <3
Haha, thanks man.

I just discovered ROM hacks. I thought this would be a solid place to start. One question, how complete is this? Literally just started me playthrough, and I'm in awe of what people can do. Keep up the good work!
Well, the only beta I've release which is sorely outdated and glitchy is three gyms long, the one I'm working on and haven't released yet - the one which the most recent posts are for - is going to be around four gyms long and spans half of Felith and parts of Hoenn. It is nearing completion, too, so be patient guys!

Anyway, on Wednesday I realised that my hack had a serious glitch which froze the game when the Pokédex was opened.

Today, I fixed it! I'm super happy I didn't have to restart, but it means all I have to show are these cool overworlds I inserted :D

uC2XUkB.png

Also, on the topic of Raikou Entei and Suicune, here's the (current, I'll probably end up changing it) titlescreen for Dark Cobalt.

q1gducQ.png

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
Years
Once again, I'm liking what I see here.

Some suggestions though!

I assume the "bank-thingy" works so that you can choose from a multichoice option, "Do you want to Withdraw, Deposit or Quit?" and depending on what you choose, possibly ask "How much do you want to withdraw/deposit?" and you can choose an option from a list (like $100, $500, $2000 or such).

This would be quite difficult to do, but maybe you could program it so, it actually displays a text box on the screen which always shows $xxyyzz (and in the beginning of it, xxyyzz = 0).
You can increase this value (xxyyzz) by pushing Down button, and decrease it by pushing Up button. And also, include a check for letting you not increase the value to a value that's too big (> current amount of money held by player if depositing for instance) and such. Also, the value couldn't be decreased past 0.

You could implement it with a loop;
The game would always check a value in I/O ("input/output ram, this is where button presses are stored), and if this value matches with [Up], increase the value, if it matches with [Down], decrease, ..., if [A] --> Do the change.

It actually even wouldn't be that difficult to accomplish. You could ask for some more experienced GBA hackers for help if you're interested in implementing it like this.
But this is only a suggestion, but would certainly make the bank feature more "refreshing".

Also another thing. I read the storyline in the main post and see you've a special reason for Suicune, Entei and Raikou there. How about letting Team Aura actually succeed in their plans? Those guys could be good. After all, even though the brother of the main character is a champion, that doesn't mean the main character should be able to defeat Team Aura all by himself (although, all Gamefreak's pokemon games seem to follow this same line).

Instead of having to become the champion, beating the Elite Four could be an additional sidequest but the in the end, the main character would end up having to forestall some total catastrophe caused by these three items being united.

Anyways, the "thing" is actually about thinking, "What if...?" instead of the regular pokemon storyline idea.
What I'm trying to say here is that you're making a pokemon hack. So when people download your hack, they expect to play a game with new maps, scripts and storyline. But in the end, it's all about catching some pokemon they like, training them, beating gyms and becoming the "pokemon champion".

The hack, then again, can be something totally different! So instead of thinking, "At this point of the game, the main player is going to defeat Team Rocket once and for all.", "What if Team Rocket's leading members actually defeat the main character instead?". By including events such as this, that totally depart from the way the player would think the events turn out, will give you the possibility to let the storyline play out way differently.

This was just one example of course. But anyway, always think "What if...?" or "Is there another way apart from the "usual routine" this event could play out?". Going for the different paths will often lead into better results. But overdoing it can be bad too of course.

Last edited:
Years
Once again, I'm liking what I see here.
Thanks!

I assume the "bank-thingy" works so that you can choose from a multichoice option, "Do you want to Withdraw, Deposit or Quit?" and depending on what you choose, possibly ask "How much do you want to withdraw/deposit?" and you can choose an option from a list (like $100, $500, $2000 or such).

This would be quite difficult to do, but maybe you could program it so, it actually displays a text box on the screen which always shows $xxyyzz (and in the beginning of it, xxyyzz = 0).
You can increase this value (xxyyzz) by pushing Down button, and decrease it by pushing Up button. And also, include a check for letting you not increase the value to a value that's too big (> current amount of money held by player if depositing for instance) and such. Also, the value couldn't be decreased past 0.

You could implement it with a loop;
The game would always check a value in I/O ("input/output ram, this is where button presses are stored), and if this value matches with [Up], increase the value, if it matches with [Down], decrease, ..., if [A] --> Do the change.

It actually even wouldn't be that difficult to accomplish. You could ask for some more experienced GBA hackers for help if you're interested in implementing it like this.
But this is only a suggestion, but would certainly make the bank feature more "refreshing".
I've actually been thinking of changing the bank script because a) the script has unnecessarily long parts, b) the player can exploit the checks it has in place and c) it would be cool to have some form of interest.

DavidJCobb has made a hack which allows you to alter values directly using an arrow to edit the units, tens, hundreds, etc., so it wouldn't be too hard to implement either. It's an interesting idea.

Also another thing. I read the storyline in the main post and see you've a special reason for Suicune, Entei and Raikou there. How about letting Team Aura actually succeed in their plans? Those guys could be good.
They may not be evil, but their methods are unorthodox. The only information you're fed about Team Aura is by your "rival", after all, and he is an ex-member of the team.

After all, even though the brother of the main character is a champion, that doesn't mean the main character should be able to defeat Team Aura all by himself (although, all Gamefreak's pokemon games seem to follow this same line).
Well, as I said, you "take down" Team Aura with the help of your "rival", so it isn't really alone.

Instead of having to become the champion, beating the Elite Four could be an additional sidequest but the in the end, the main character would end up having to forestall some total catastrophe caused by these three items being united.
The way I've planned it is that you are defeating the Gyms to become stronger - to train.

miksy91

Years
Okay, I see. All in all, that was one tacky response from me though, sorry about that. I kinda remembered you were somewhat out of ideas related to the previous post when you replied to me about the Virtopia so I just felt like taking that up.

I've actually been thinking of changing the bank script because a) the script has unnecessarily long parts, b) the player can exploit the checks it has in place and c) it would be cool to have some form of interest.

DavidJCobb has made a hack which allows you to alter values directly using an arrow to edit the units, tens, hundreds, etc., so it wouldn't be too hard to implement either. It's an interesting idea.
Yeah, that sounds like a nice way for making it work in the game. Also, it's indeed better to try to fit in long subroutines in smaller ones, and that way, organizing them better.

Especially if you're programming something bigger, just doing it without a preliminary plan of "how this part of the routine is going to work exactly?", and "what instructions do I need for making it run properly?", will only lead into total mess.
This is something I know from experience :D

(Btw, I was trying to quote to "a)" there)

Years
Especially if you're programming something bigger, just doing it without a preliminary plan of "how this part of the routine is going to work exactly?", and "what instructions do I need for making it run properly?", will only lead into total mess.
This is something I know from experience :D

(Btw, I was trying to quote to "a)" there)
Good advice, thanks!

Is there a download at all yet? Maybe I missed something while looking through the pages.
Well, the only beta I've release which is sorely outdated and glitchy is three gyms long, the one I'm working on and haven't released yet - the one which the most recent posts are for - is going to be around four gyms long and spans half of Felith and parts of Hoenn. It is nearing completion, too, so be patient guys!

Quick question, do you guys think I should change this hack to just Cobalt?

The edgy "Dark" prefix was because, originally, I was going to make a second version, called Light Cyan. Now, it doesn't really make sense, and I'm seeing a tonne of "Dark Something" hacks and its become a really tacky fad to be honest. This hack isn't particularly gritty, or edgy, so I think the "Dark" prefix is kind of...useless.

Do you guys think I should keep it as Dark Cobalt, rename it to Cobalt, or use a new, more relevant name? I'm interested in your feedback!

I feel like I need to constantly barrage you with screenshots so you believe I'm still working. Have some move tutors.
6HKREJ8.png
KyCz1Cn.png
dZJIzDD.png

Z3VbbPZ.png
SCNZLHQ.png
Ws90imK.png

k6A3ktB.png
tR1gZ61.png
j5R9VjQ.png

rbuqKrq.png
yY7GEOq.png
oxjGnZ0.png

tVx17JB.png
CT3KVjN.png

Last edited:
Years
I would say a name change wouldn't do any harm- if it doens't make sense, then what's the point in having it? Furthermore, a lot of people feel the need to use two words as names for the hacks they make- overlooking the fact, perhaps, that only remakes have two words in their names (in order to distinguish them from the originals, of course).

I think Cobalt would be the way to go, unless you have an idea that would be more relevant to the hack? :)

miksy91

Years
Yeah, I agree with gira. "Dark" as a prefix would make no sense so "Cobalt" as its own would be better, yet it's too unexciting I think.

If the name "Cobalt" has no particular meaning behind it, I'd say, change the name to something totally different - something that would be descriptive (= "maybe give a little bit of background information about the story?"), and sound interesting.

Spoiler:

Whether or not the name is descriptive isn't a big deal though. But if the name of a hack is uncreative, it already gives people the feeling that the contents of this hack is uncreative as well.

Last edited:

socko

[i]VERY ANGER!!![/i]
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen May 18, 2020
Not good at name suggestions, you so I'm not gonna go there. Anyways, is petal dance a custom move? Sorry if I sound stupid now, do much about fire red. #LikeABimbo :)

Years
I would say a name change wouldn't do any harm- if it doens't make sense, then what's the point in having it? Furthermore, a lot of people feel the need to use two words as names for the hacks they make- overlooking the fact, perhaps, that only remakes have two words in their names (in order to distinguish them from the originals, of course).

I think Cobalt would be the way to go, unless you have an idea that would be more relevant to the hack? :)
:D
Yeah, I agree with gira. "Dark" as a prefix would make no sense so "Cobalt" as its own would be better, yet it's too unexciting I think.

If the name "Cobalt" has no particular meaning behind it, I'd say, change the name to something totally different - something that would be descriptive (= "maybe give a little bit of background information about the story?"), and sound interesting.

Spoiler:

Whether or not the name is descriptive isn't a big deal though. But if the name of a hack is uncreative, it already gives people the feeling that the contents of this hack is uncreative as well.
I see what you mean but I think I'm going to stick with Cobalt because there isn't really a catchy way to summarise the story.

I'd agree with going with Cobalt, on the terms of adding an extra word seems more like a remake or a sequel.
Definitely part of my reasoning.

are you still going to implement fakemons? they looked really good.
There are some fakemon already implemented though I am considering releasing two versions, one with and one without fakemon because in general people either love or hate fakemon.
Not good at name suggestions, you so I'm not gonna go there. Anyways, is petal dance a custom move? Sorry if I sound stupid now, do much about fire red. #LikeABimbo :)
Bulbapedia said:
Petal Dance (Japanese: はなびらのまい Petal Dance) is a damage-dealing Grass-type move introduced in Generation I. It was the signature move of Oddish and Gloom in that Generation.

It's not even a new move, lol.

E78ReYF.png

Stuff is going well, I'm kind of stumped on how to change which map the SS Sonic will send the Player - I don't want to really use tacky methods so I'm going to continue research (help would be appreciated though).

Aemirch

Hobbler
Years
Hey, just passing by to give you a heads up and good luck with continuing this, you made it this far, and thus far it is great. And if you, by any chance, need some kind of funky sprite, you know where to find me.

Years
I'm speechless.
This hack looks amazing!
Can't wait for beta 1!
Thanks dude!

Hey, just passing by to give you a heads up and good luck with continuing this, you made it this far, and thus far it is great. And if you, by any chance, need some kind of funky sprite, you know where to find me.
Thanks man, I'll be sure to take up that offer if I need to :3

I really want to play it, but there isn't a beta. Anyways it seems like a cool game.
I'm sorry man, I don't want to rush the release - it's getting there though!

When will you release the beta version? I can't wait!
I can't wait either, hopefully it'll be out soon!

I decided to give in and just use the tacky method for the boat warp thing:
sgfrVJ0.png
wVxBMQw.png

I've completely ported Route 114 / Arbor Pass, complete with all the Trainers that were there before - with stronger, evolved teams, of course - and some new faces are there as well so its not too similar to the original.

lHpzQOY.png
zvYlj0d.png

And I've done some scripting for the next major event - the first event in Hoenn, too.
G8aVLwJ.png
O6SC3wf.png

tzukpme.png
A5X7TUI.png

Last edited:

Varion Bluefire

A.K.A The Glitch
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 3, 2015
Sweeet! I love hoenn.

Also, one question: Does this take place after the Events of RSE?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back