• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sandstormy?

Oshamaru

Legs go, Megaman!
Years
Hello everyone. I´m a newbie to competitive battling, but I have made at least 1 competitive team before, and i was...pretty decent, or at least I think so. I´m planning a new team for the upcoming GBU Tourney. A Sandstorm one, to be precise.

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
252 HP/152 Def/104 SDef
Impish Nature
Trait: Sand Stream
-Earthquake
-Stealth Rock
-Ice Fang
-Slack Off

To be honest, I never see any entry hazards in use, and I don´t use them either. But I guess trying doesnt hurt anybody(except the opponent, obviously). Earthquake, is your good ol´ STAB. Ice Fang may 1HKO Garchomp, Dragonite and Salamance, Pokémon commonly seen in the past GBU Tourney. Slack Off grants some great recovery alongside Leftovers.

Murkrow @ Eviolite
248 HP/8 Def/252 SDef
Calm Nature
Trait: Prankster
-Dark Pulse
-Quash
-Thunder Wave
-Roost

Murkrow can be very annoying. Quash is an interesting move that makes a foe move last, and with Prankster, Murkrow will almost always go first. This can help the Partner Pokémon beat opposing Pokémon trying to set up. Thunder Wave is a good option, too, as it cripples a lot of Pokémon commonly seen. Roost helps Murkrow survive, and Dark Pulse is there so Murkrow isn´t ruined by Taunt.

Stoutland @ Choice Band
252 Atk/4 SpD/252 Spe
Adamant Nature
Trait: Sand Rush
-Return
-Superpower
-Crunch
-Fire Fang

Stoutland´s bulkiness is pretty good. I don´t use Choice items oftenly, but I´m pretty sure Stoutland can hit first and not get a scratch. Return is the reliable and strong STAB, Superpower beats Magnezone, Blissey, Heatran, Hydreigon and many other Pokémon easily thanks to the Attack EVs and the Choice item. Crunch beats up possible Pain Splitters or Ghost-Type status inflicters. Fire Fang is for certain Steel-Types that resist Superpower such as Scizor and Skarmory, and also provides coverage against Ice-Types who could ruin some members of the team.

Metagross @ ??? (Suggestions please)
252 HP/96 Atk/160 SpD
Adamant Nature
Trait: Clear Body
-Meteor Mash
-Bullet Punch
-Zen Headbutt
-ThunderPunch

Meteor Mash and Zen Headbutt are the main STABs. Bullet Punch helps against faster Pokémon but also beats weak Pokémon that could interfere. ThunderPunch takes care of Gyarados or other Water-Type Pokémon attempting to harm Hippowdon.

Gastrodon @ Rindo Berry
160 HP/36 Def/252 SpA/60 SpD
Modest Nature
Trait: Storm Drain
-Muddy Water
-Earth Power
-Recover
-Ice Beam

Muddy Water is a useful option that may lower accuracy, and it´s a pretty good STAB. Earth Power is a great choice for a STAB, too. Recover helps Gastrodon last longer, and Ice Beam beats up Dragons and Gastrodon´s Grass weakness.

Cradily @ Smooth Rock
252 HP/125 Def/127 SDef
Bold Nature
Trait: Storm Drain
-Energy Ball
-Ancientpower
-Ingrain
-Sandstorm

Yeah, I´ll probably only use Cradily if in Team Preview I see any Politoed/Ninetales/Abomasnow. Energy Ball is the trusty STAB, along with a...not so powerful Ancientpower. I know I can use Hidden Power, but...um, yeah. Ingrain is there to recover some damage. Sandstorm is there in case Hippowdon gets knocked out.

That´s all. I would really appreciate any help soon, since the GBU starts this week. Pokémon, EV Spread, Moves, Items...Anything! Thanks! : )

Griffinbane

I hate Smeargle.
Years
Looks like you're going the bulky route. That could work...or work against you. The field will be littered with threats like Lati@s, weather teams, elemental gems, etc. Be aware of that.

If you wanna go bulky weather setter, then Hippowdon's your pokemon. It'll give Trick Room setters a reason to hesitate because the Hippo's so slow. Move those defensive EVs to attack. Hippowdon's special defense is so crappy that EVs invested in it won't help whatsoever and its defense is already high. If you want something faster, you can try using Tyranitar.

Brave Tyranitar w/ Sand Stream
Item: Chople Berry / Focus Sash
IV: 0 Speed
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
~ Crunch
~ Rock Slide
~ Low Kick
~ Protect

Standard Tyranitar is standard. If you don't like Low Kick, feel free to switch it with something else. The speed IV should be 0, because it's the slower pokemon that sets the weather.

Murkrow's defenses are crap. Don't be too surprised if it gets KO'ed right after it uses a non-attacking ability. Change Roost to Taunt. It likely won't get a chance to use Roost because it'll die in 1 hit. If you want something that'll survive longer but still use Prankster, try using Tornadus or Thundurus.

Jolly Tornadus w/ Prankster
Item: Flying Gem
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
~ Tailwind
~ Acrobatics
~ Taunt
~ Protect / Substitute

Timid Thundurus w/ Prankster
Item: Charti Berry / Yache Berry / Electric Gem
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
~ Thunderbolt
~ Hidden Power Flying / Hidden Power Ice
~ Thunder Wave
~ Substitute / Protect

Which one you use is up to your personal preference. Each has its own strengths and weaknesses. Your team at the moment would benefit more from Thundurus but that may change. Taunt is to prevent opposing pranksters from going crazy. Thunder Wave is for slowing everything down.

Change Stoutland's Superpower to Wild Charge. You don't want Stoutland's stats to go down and there's a great deal of electric-weak pokemon around. EVs look good. Try testing Stoutland with Life Orb or Choice Scarf and see which of the three is best suited to your team.

Drop Zen Headbutt on Metagross in favor of Earthquake or Explosion. If you chose Earthquake, give Metagross a Life Orb or Occa Berry. If you choose Explosion, you should consider a Normal Gem. Move the SpD EVs to attack. Metagross needs that power and you're seriously shorting it.

Gastrodon wants all its EVs pumped into HP and SpA so it can tank the most effectively. If you don't mind a power drop and want more bulk, change nature to Bold. Otherwise, looks good.

Cradily there...yeah, no. Gastrodon there can take care of both Politoed and Ninetales. You have cover for Abomasnow in Stoutland and Metagross. Metagross especially. Exchange it for something else. Since most of your pokemon are very slow, you can benefit from using Cresselia if you want to use Trick Room. Even if you don't, Cresselia will be able to absorb special attacks and support your team.

Sassy / Relaxed Cresselia w/ Levitate
Item: Sitrus Berry / Leftovers / Mental Herb
IV: 0 Speed
EVs: 252 HP / 60 Def / 196 SpD
~ Trick Room
~ Psychic
~ Helping Hand / Safeguard
~ Light Screen / Reflect

Calm Cresselia w/ Levitate
Item: Sitrus Berry / Chesto Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
~ Icy Wind / Thunder Wave
~ Psychic
~ Light Screen / Reflect
~ Helping Hand / Rest

Which one you use depends on your own preference.

Last edited:

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
Years
Your team is annihilated by any special attacking Landorus. Grass Knot OHKOs Hippowdon and Earth Power OHKOs Metagross and Stoutland, Cradily and Murkrow will also be fairly helpless against it. You also have the same issue with any Latios. Both have been pretty common, lately.

I highly recommend replacing Hippowdon with a mixed variant of Tyranitar that includes Ice Beam. I also recommend the Trick Room/Safeguard Cresselia that Griffy suggested to replace your Cradily. Also, my last suggestion is to replace Murkrow with Sableye.

*FEMALE* Prankster Sableye @ Mental Herb
Careful / 252 Hp, 4 Def, 252 SpDef
-Fake Out
-Captivate
-Will-O-Wisp
-Swagger

Fake Out gives Cresselia a free turn to set up Trick Room/Safeguard or Icy Wind. Captivate on a FEMALE Sableye is a huge check to Latios, the genies, random Nidoking (and any other special attacking male Pokemon) because it will lower their SpA by 2 stages and hits both Pokemon.

With Safeguard up, Swagger is a free +2 Atk for Sableyes teammate, which for you would include Stoutland, Tyranitar and Metagross. Stoutland will appreciate it most since this allows you to run banded Superpower w/o the hindering attack drops. You can also run Persim/Lum berries in case you can't set up Safeguard.

The reason I don't recommend using the genies for your Prankster abuser is because they're frailer and Cresselia already gives you speed control. The only advantage with them would be the Flying-stab in Tornadus, I think. But if you need a Flying-stab and are also having troubles with other weather teams, I think Dragonite would be the way to go since it nails both Ludicolo/Kingdra with stab and has a huge movepool for you to tailor to your needs.

Back