• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is making ROM hacks worth it anymore?

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Oct 21, 2019
Is it worth making fanfics anymore? Fanmusic? AMVs? Custom sprites?

Therein lies your answer.

Now, whether do you want to make a ROMhack or not that's just a personal matter.

If your problem is that your game might get C&D'd and disappear once it's done, the solution is simple: just like with any worthwhile software project (as that is what it boils down in the end), release the original (as in fancreated) development files to the public, or at least with some sort of license that allows for its distribution and reutilization. (Oh, and avoid giving it too much publicity when you do, like the thing with the professional trailer; a stick figures trailer will probably do, at least in the beginning) In the rare (rare) case that your game gets C&D'd, someone in the community might pick the pieces up. If you want your work to persist past you, be it a fan work or an "established IP" it is your responsibility as a creator to distribute it and liberate it accordingly.

If your problem is that you don't make money off it, unfortunately that's systemic issue with western (at least) cultures treatment of inspiration and remixing of culture having regressed to barbaric levels, so the best thing to do if you really insist on earning money from it is to... well, not earning money from it. Like, I presume the ROMhack would not be the only thing you'd do with your life? So if you have a "personal" / "life" patreon set up, just receive donations for the things you do in general (or just receive donations for anything period) instead of "pay my ROMhack". But remember you are still taking up a fight.

But no matter what, down the line it comes down to if you want to commit to it or not. Making a work, fan or not, comes with a cost and a responsibility.

I was going to make a post, and then I read this. I don't really have anything new to add to this, so I'll just echo what I quoted.

Though actually, I'll just add: Do what you find fun. Enjoy your hobby however you want.

ASDBUDDY

The Derp
Years
Once again this has been said a lot, but joy in rom hacking (at least for me) lies in the fact that I can create game by just following simple tutorials and practicing, that too on childhood favorite game(ik im still 16....let a man dream ok), it has helped me get a lot of friends and also garner respect from ppl who play my hack, and let me tell you there is no greater joy, than to see ppl play and like something you worked hard on. That feeling truly is ecstatic.
So then again the decision lies entirely on you, so you do you man. but just remember to have fun doing whatever that you choose to do :)

Bela

Banned
Years
I've spent some time trying to come up with an original, thoughtful post on this subject, but I really can't add anything more than what's been said before, so I'll just echo those comments.

Romhacking is a kind of art form, where the ROM is your canvas, the map tiles and scripts is your paint... Most simply create perfunctory pieces, but sometimes a few novel creations come forward. I feel that creativity should be fostered, so that more unique and interesting romhacks appear.

So when one asks if it's "worth it" to make romhacks anymore, I have to reply, is it worth it to make art anymore? This craft, this hobby, it will never go away. I think there's no shortage of people who will be intrigued by and drawn to it.

Tak

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Dec 20, 2017
It's up to you as a creator. If making it is something you enjoy, then it may be worth it to you. Personally I don't care about releases or all that, I just want to make something because it excites me—and I like learning code.

Back