• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Ones That Got Away Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
How about Skuntank? If not then yeah feel free to choose the last one yourself, although there's not that many in your list to choose from :P
I'll post a new application then. The Pokémon I listed before was just from the top of my head. And I wouldn't mind posting a new application.~

Name: Zeffers
Game: HeartGold
List of Pokemon that got away:
Spoiler:

*The ones strikethroughed are the ones I cannot get.
Number required: 4
Any specific requirements: Only 1 stall-type Pokémon. And no happiness evolution Pokémon either. :)

Years
  • Seen May 17, 2016

I'll post a new application then. The Pokémon I listed before was just from the top of my head. And I wouldn't mind posting a new application.~

Name: Zeffers
Game: HeartGold
List of Pokemon that got away:
Spoiler:

*The ones strikethroughed are the ones I cannot get.
Number required: 4
Any specific requirements: Only 1 stall-type Pokémon. And no happiness evolution Pokémon either. :)

Ok then, have Forretress, Froslass, Salamence and Slowbro.

Years
  • Seen May 17, 2016
Update 5:

- Took out the Red Gyarados, incurring £3000 in fines trying to work out how to get the Sludge Bomb TM (turns out you can only get it after clearing the Secret Basement)
- Cleared the Secret Basement with Lance... got Sludge Bomb TM
- Beat several shades of snot out of Pryce (another Gym I never have trouble with). By the time I challenged him my team were all at least the level of his higest level Pokemon, Piloswine (lv.34), so he was absolutely no challenge.
- Headed over to Goldenrod to clear out the Radio Tower and the Underground Base - Misdreavus, Croagunk and Omanyte all evolved in the process
- Once Team Rocket were forced out of Johto once and for all, I headed over to Blackthorn City
- Once I reached it, I used the Move Obliviator to delete Cut from Pinsir's moveset and Rock Smash from Toxicroak's
- Swept through the Blackthorn Gym, although Clair proved a bit tricky because Kingdra was faster than Dragonair and OHKO'd him with Dragon Pulse. Toxicroak sorted him in the end though, spamming Focus Punch when Kingdra bizarrely decided to use Hyper Beam repeatedly
- Got a phone call from Professor Elm - some Kimono Girls wanted to take me on. Caught a Poliwag and evolved it to Poliwhirl for HM Slave purposes (wasted a lot of valuable XP that could have been used on my team Pokemon in the process... Grr)
- Pinsir took out Umbr and Esp, Omastar took out Flar, Toxicroak finished off Jolt and Mismagius ate up Vapor... nomnomnom
- The Kimono Girls decided I was ready to take on Lugia, so after clearing out Whirl Islands, that was exactly what I did... and Mismagius ate him up too! Nomnomnomnomnom
- Bumped into Raikou and caught him in my Master Ball to trade to my main HG game later on... why not!
- Saved just after reaching Kanto, heading towards Victory Road and the Pokemon League

The Team:
Spoiler:

Last edited:

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
Years
Pretty big update on Platinum.

Spoiler:

Am about to Surf to Victory Road from Sunnyshore.

Team Jaskil:
Spr_4p_452.png

Draken (Drapion, F) - L49 @ Poison Barb
Nature: Careful, Ability: Battle Armor
Moves: Strength, Ice Fang, Poison Jab, Crunch
Spr_4p_038.png

Pyre (Ninetales, F) - L48 @ Mind Plate
Nature: Bold, Ability: Flash Fire
Moves: Extrasensory, Confuse Ray, Nasty Plot, Flamethrower
Spr_4d_348.png

Slasher (Armaldo, M) - L51 @ Soft Sand
Nature: Impish, Ability: Battle Armor
Moves: Return, X-Scissor, Rock Slide, Earthquake
Spr_4d_171.png

Zapp (Lanturn, M) - L49 @ Splash Plate
Nature: Modest, Ability: Volt Absorb
Moves: Surf, Confuse Ray, Thunder Wave, Discharge
Spr_4d_227.png

Silver (Skarmory, F) - L48 @ Iron Plate
Nature: Adamant, Ability: Keen Eye
Moves: Steel Wing, Fly, Night Slash, Roost
Spr_4p_400_m.png

Worker2 (Bibarel, M) - L19
Nature: Careful, Ability: Unware
Moves: Rock Smash, Cut, Rock Climb, Waterfall

In the box are Bill (Psyduck) with Flash and Fluffy (Piplup) with Defog.

Slasher's moveset is really good. I also like Parafusion Zapp, although I'm gonna teach Ice Beam and Thunderbolt, so one of those status moves has to go. I am thinking about teaching U-turn to Draken as well (forget Strength), although I'm not sure if that is gonna happen Return to Draken (can't learn U-Turn). Swords Dance is an interesting idea as well.

Edit: Update #2: Beat the Elite Four and Cynthia to finish the challenge!

From Sunnyshore to becoming the Champion:
Spoiler:

If you could add me to the Champions list that would be great :D.

Team Jaskil (Final):
Spr_4p_452.png

Draken (Drapion, F) - L53 @ Poison Barb
Nature: Careful, Ability: Battle Armor
Moves: Return, Ice Fang, Poison Jab, Crunch
Spr_4p_038.png

Pyre (Ninetales, F) - L56 @ Mind Plate
Nature: Bold, Ability: Flash Fire
Moves: Extrasensory, Confuse Ray, Nasty Plot, Flamethrower
Spr_4d_348.png

Slasher (Armaldo, M) - L56 @ Soft Sand
Nature: Impish, Ability: Battle Armor
Moves: Return, X-Scissor, Stone Edge, Earthquake
Spr_4d_171.png

Zapp (Lanturn, M) - L55 @ Splash Plate
Nature: Modest, Ability: Volt Absorb
Moves: Surf, Confuse Ray, Thunder Wave, Thunderbolt
Spr_4d_227.png

Silver (Skarmory, F) - L53 @ Fly Plate
Nature: Adamant, Ability: Keen Eye
Moves: Steel Wing, Fly, Night Slash, Roost

HM slaves are above.

Most Valuable Pokemon:
Gyms MVP: Zapp
Elite Four MVP: Pyre
Best Moveset: Slasher (1a), Zapp (1b, Parafusion FTW)
LVP: Draken

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen May 17, 2016
Congratulations jdthebud, our 3rd Champion!

Update 6:

Not a huge update, this one. All I've done is trudged up Routes 27 and 26, got through Victory Road and reached the Pokemon League. Haven't taken them on yet though, so I won't do long impressions on this update.

The Team:
Spoiler:

Years
  • Seen May 17, 2016
Update 7:

I beat the Elite Four!

Will was pretty easy: Pinsir and Mismagius managed to take care of him pretty much between them, with a cameo from Toxicroak who nearly took down Exeggutor in one Poison Jab (he likes a challenge) but then fell to Psychic.

Koga was an absolute cinch, as he always is. Girafarig nailed Ariados. Toxicroak then completely obliterated Forretress with Focus Blast, Omastar took down Crobat and Girafarig finished the rest off.

Bruno was entertainingly easy; Hitmontop has no moves that could hit Mismagius as she has Levitate, so while Hitmontop was Digging his way to complete futility, Mismagius took the opportunity to set up with numerous Charge Beams. By the time Hitmontop went down, Mismagius' Sp.Atk was so ridiculously high that she OHKOd the rest of Bruno's team!

After a timely Max Ether to Charge Beam, I moved onto Karen, who presented more of a problem than she ever has done before - I usually find her quite simple. First of all Toxicroak destroyed Umbreon before he had a chance to Double Team/Confuse. He then took down Murkrow with Nasty Plot/Focus Blast, before Houndoom nailed him and Dragonair AND Pinsir with Nasty Plot/Dark Pulse - some critted. Omastar sorted him out with Surf, before Mismagius swept up Vileplume and Gengar.

Lance was tricky, as ever. I led with Mismagius, who took down Gyarados with Charge Beam in one. Aerodactyl was next, and was somehow even faster than Mismagius, OHKOing her with a crit Crunch before Mismagius could Charge Beam again. Omastar finished Aero off with Surf, but not before Thunder Fang dealt him a bit of damage.

Dragonite1 was next - the one with Thunder. Out went Omastar for Pinsir. He used Rock Tomb to take down Dragonite's Speed but was paralyzed by Thunder Wave; cue an exchange of missed Dragon Rushes and paralysis/missed Rock Tombs before eventually Pinsir succumbed to Thunder. Omastar was back in, and took Dragonite1 down with Ice Beam. Dragonite2 came in afterwards, leading with Dragon Rush against my Dragonair (OHKO) before being murdered in one by Omastar's Ice Beam.

Then came Dragonite3, the really tough one. I switched out Omastar, because I knew if he died my team was screwed. I sent in Girafarig, who sacrificed herself to Full Restore Omastar. I then sent in Toxicroak, who sacrificed most of his health to Max Revive Mismagius, and then went down trying to Poison Jab the dragon. Omastar came back in and OHKOd the bugger with Ice Beam. Charizard was last up, and he used a pathetic Air Slash before being OHKOd by AncientPower.

Hurrah! I was Champion, thanks mainly to Mismagius and Omastar. Next up, Kanto!

The Team:
Spoiler:

Porygon Z

721 and counting!
Years
I'll try it in Crystal!

Spoiler:

Saiddun Uzkha

Obsessed and Proud!
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Jan 26, 2011
I'll try it in Crystal!

Spoiler:

Persian
Muk
Sudowoodo
Farfetch'd
Scizor
Stantler

Have fun!

Years
  • Seen May 17, 2016
Added Porygon Z to the Challengers list. Keep updating people! I'm trudging through Kanto as we speak, full update to come tonight or tomorrow.

Rainbow-Sasuke

300 Posts be the 15th?
Years
Name: Rainbow-Sasuke Ingame Name: Ace
Game: Gold(ROM)
Pokemon that got away:
Spoiler:

Number requirement: 6
Specific requirements: No trades, three from each catergories.

Saiddun Uzkha

Obsessed and Proud!
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Jan 26, 2011
Name: Rainbow-Sasuke Ingame Name: Ace
Game: Gold(ROM)
Pokemon that got away:
Spoiler:

Number requirement: 6
Specific requirements: No trades, three from each catergories.

Kanto:
1. Arbok
2. Tauros
3. Electabuzz

Johto
1. Quagsire
2. Blissey
3.Smeargle

Have Fun!

Porygon Z

721 and counting!
Years
The biggest update of my life :D

(ITALIAN ROM)

Started the game, named myself Haru, chosen Totodile, then did all the initial stuff.
Catched Grimer (cheat), and grinded him all the way to Violet City.
Then took on Sprout Tower and Violet Gym, not too difficult, thanks to Sludge.

dvh7xu.png

Went through Route 32, 33 and Union Cave, then in Azalea Town.
Found out Team Rocket in Slowpoke Well, and defeated them.
Defeated Bugsy and then our beloved Rival (:D).

15eebrr.png
64mlqc.png

Went to Ilex Forest, found a lost Farfetch'd, took him to his trainer and got HM01 Cut in exchange. Then passed through the rest of the forest and Route 34.
Arrived in Goldenrod City, made a quick city, then some training in Routes 35, 36 and National Park.

After all this stuff, we literally crushed Whitney. Too much, she cried. I wonder why...

fk2oht.png

On the road to Ecruteak City, we found our new buddy.

ayalx3.png

Once arrived at the new town, we met Bill, then quickly went on Route 38... two new buddies awaits.

15foshs.png
t9infk.png

After a long grinding of all of them, we met, again, the blameless Rival.

o7t7wo.png

Then we awakened the Legendary Dogs, then a man called Eusine appears and thanks us for what we did. Wow.

Wait! Let's do a quick backtracking.

2132igz.png

Ok. Straight on from this, a quick healing, then... Morty.

4r6xbr.png

And the Fog Badge is ours.
Now, on Olivine City! A good training for Scyther...

Once we arrived, Rival strikes again, but this time he won't fight us.
Then we find out that the Gym leader of this city is on the top of the Lighthouse, wondering why. We made it up there, and we found out that the Lighthouse Pokèmon, Amphy. He needs the Secret Potion, findable only in Cianwood City, house of the 5th Gym.
Let's go!

Once we arrived (Scyther did a very good work in Sea Routes), we got the Secret Potion, then we took on the 5th Gym. But first I've something to do.

Back in Olivine, I bought something very very useful, then I took the Secret Potion to Amphy, which is now OK. Jasmine thanks us, then cames back to his Gym.

OK, no time to lose!

I went to the Pokèmon Center, and after that I took on Chuck very easily.
Find out what I bought...

dm5oog.png

Ok, now I want to explore the beach... WTF?

1zq6kj9.png

Woah, that was Suicune... Amazing!
After that, Eusine shows up, saying he wants to fight us. OK!

... Wow, already done? You suck.

Anyway, time to get to Olivine Gym!

OH MY GOD. I can't defeat Janine with these Pokèmon... How?
OK, I must train Totodile, just for this Gym.
Very well! Thanks Feraligatr, you helped us with that ****in Steelix!

2m7i0j7.png

Ok, now we have to travel to Mahogany Town, where the 7th Gym is.
Du da da...
AGAIN?!?

348j1hl.png

OMG! OK, let's go on. :D
Wow, this town sucks. Let's go upper.
Oh, some Trainers! :D

Woah, what is that? A Shiny Gyarados? Well, lets' get rid of this.

34qqu1g.png

(OK, now let's check if someone answered me on PC Forum... WTF?!? I can use Slowking? Well, I MUST train one, IMMEDIATELY!)

1gosag.png
1e7tjn.png
bhdbpj.png
2441b9j.png
2wq6ao4.png
w7ncpi.png

Grimer: Thunderpunch, Sludge, Poison Gas, Disable.
Scizor: Quick Attack, Metal Claw, Focus Energy, Pursuit.
Slowking: Ice Punch, Surf, Confusion, Fire Blast.
Sudowoodo: Rock Slide, Strength, Flail, Low Kick.
Farfetch'd: Peck, Mud-Slap, Swords Dance, Fly.
Stantler: Tackle, Leer, Hypnosis, Stomp.

Well, thanks for reading! :D

Last edited:

Rainbow-Sasuke

300 Posts be the 15th?
Years
^If you talking to me, I'll do yours after. Anyway, first update:

Spoiler:

Years
  • Seen May 17, 2016
Update 8:

After clearing out the S.S. Aqua, I hit Vermilion City, spotting Suicune on the way into town (accompanied by the unavoidable meeting with Eusine... what a tool). I headed straight for Lt. Surge's Gym, which I took down using Dragonair and Dragonair alone. I was very keen to bump him up the levels required to make him a Dragonite, you see. Surge was no problem - he never, ever is - and I moved on Northward to Saffron.

Now Saffron was likely to be a pain. None of my Pokemon at the time had especially good Sp.Def - Mismagius excepted - and none of them had a Psychic resistance. This could therefore have proven to be a tough Gym, so I moved further West to Celadon, which I thought would be a tad easier. I caught a Meowth for Cut purposes, as Pinsir no longer knew it.

I hate the layout of Celadon Gym. I honestly, absolutely hate it. It's impossible to see where you're going, and progressing through the holes in the wall is a monotonous task of walking into every spot until you find the right one. Eurgh. At least the Gym's easy; Dragonair and Toxicroak cleared it out between them, Dragonair learning Dragon Dance and then hitting Lv.55 to become a Dragonite. I taught him Fly and we headed North to Cerulean.

Cerulean was a breeze too. I sorted out the Power Plant, beat up the foreign Rocket and slapped the Nugget Bridge trainers. I then tonked the Gym trainers and laid the smack down on Misty. Pinsir and Toxicroak handled the main brunt of the Gym Battle, although Mismagius finished off Starmie.

As I now had a few levels more to my name (not to mention a new Dragonite) I headed back to Saffron to take on Sabrina. This time, the Espeon that could have caused me trouble before went down in one to Dragonite's Dragon Rush, and the rest was a process of spamming Girafarig's Crunch until Alakazam could no longer be Full Restored. Honourable mention goes to Pinsir for nailing Mr. Mime.

So that's where I am: halfway through Kanto already, with my team now fully evolved.

The Team:
Spoiler:

torcoal

Ketsu!
Years
  • Seen Mar 14, 2013
Name: torcoal
Game: Pearl
Ones that got away:
Spoiler:

Number of pokemon: 6

Status