• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Music Suggestion Thread - FIND NEW MUSIC

Flakey Bear

Just watch it.
Years
Got this idea from another forum, so i think it should be good to post it here.

Basically, post a type of music or band you like and someone will suggest a band/artist for you! Or post some good bands/artists you know to make the others heard.

For example, i say that i want good punk bands and someone suggests The Offspring and provides a link for their music. Simple as that.

The Useless Line: Let the suggestions begin.

Years
  • Seen Feb 5, 2023
You all should check out Explosions in the Sky or some of Mogwai music. It's really relaxing music which help you think or just relax. Sometimes I need to calm down because I can't sleep and this helps. Also I enjoy listening to it while perusing the forums.

Talon

[font=Cambria]Hidden From Mind[/font]
Years
How about Downplay? They are really good, but haven't had much publicity.
Kamelot? I've never heard of any other orchestral metal band.
Marianas Trench? They mix electronic and pop-rock together. It works.
Falling In Reverse? Some of you probably already know them, but for those of you who don't, think of them as a mix between Pierce The Veil, and Blood On The Dance Floor. BOTDF is horrible, yes, but FIR makes it sound good.
Story Of The Year? Not much to say, other than, they are good.
There For Tomorrow? Another really good rock band that gets little to no publicity.
Young the Giant? I know, they are popular, but still. Listen and learn.

I would say Black Veil Brides, but people know them, or have at least heard about them, and chances are, if you've heard about them, it's been bad, and I have no chance to change your mind. Black Veil Brides is a very good band, even though they are emo-rock. Don't judge them just from what others have told you about them.

Controversial?

Bored musician, bad programmer
Years
  • Age 28
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 11, 2020
So I know pretty much every single band that's been suggested on this list (bar Downplay), so I'm gonna change this formula a little to promoting kind of unknown or local music. Would be more interesting IMO :P

I'll start things off with this experimental pop song a guy I know made. Idk how I'd classify it, honestly, but just give it a listen if you're into like the more avant-garde side of pop. :P
https://soundcloud.com/vaunce/valentine

Sir Codin

For all of you metalheads-in-the-making here on PokeCommunity, I have a list here I've saved in my notepad. Hope you find something that suits you:

Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
for all of those who likes new punk /pop-rock music, i recommend you The All-American Rejects:)

Controversial?

Bored musician, bad programmer
Years
  • Age 28
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 11, 2020
...Okay, maybe I'll expand my scope to further out than just local. It's a bit pretentious IMO :P

Anyone here heard of Marmozets? They're a new act signed to Roradrunner, they're quite heavy rock (they used to be like math-metal and all that, but they've changed their style quite a bit) and I've seen them live like three times. Plus their lead singer omg :P
Spoiler:

And if that sorta heavy stuff isa bit too much for you, I'd recommend you check out Altered Sky; another band I've seen live, their sound I'd say is similar to Paramore or We Are The In Crowd (both of which I've also seen live :P)
Spoiler:

If you're into sorta indie blues-rock in the vein of like The White Stripes, I'd also check out Coroner for the Police. Haven't seen them live, but they've got one hell of a sound, even though they're not really well-known at all. :P
Spoiler:

If indie's more your type of thing, I'd recommend checking out Bengal Lancers; they've got a very indie sound, but IMO it sounds kind of fresh. I saw them live at The Water Rats and they're pretty damn good. :)
Spoiler:

I'd also recommend a little band from London called Amaryllis; it's hard to pinpoint their exact sound IMO but it's kind of alternative rock with influence from bands like Young Guns and that. (not like I saw them live and see the lead singer all the time or anything gawd :P)
Spoiler:

That enough to keep you guys busy?

Years
Skillet, Michael Jackson and Linkin Park ^^ There are some other singers/band I cannot remember on top of my head right now but I will post them in here once I remember some other cool singers and bands (:

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
Years
Metal: Amon Amarth is my favorite. They're "viking metal" meaning their songs follow norse mythology.

Rap/hip-hop: I prefer some of the more underground artists, Aesop Rock, Lowkey, and Immortal Technique are real good.

If you're looking for something sweet and nice I'd say Frank Sinatra obviously.

Particularly favorite songs by these bands are:

Amon Amarth - Live for The Kill (there be an epic violin solo in here)
Frank Sinatra - Umm yea anything by this guy
Lowkey - Dreamers
Immortal Technique - You Never Know
Aesop Rock - Gopher Guts

Talon

[font=Cambria]Hidden From Mind[/font]
Years
For Post-Hardcore fans I recommend you - Falling In Reverse, The Used, Crown The Empire, Chunk! No, Captain Chunk!, Chiodos, and Story of the Year.

For rap-metal fans I recommend you - Thousand Foot Krutch, Slipknot (You should already know, but just in case.), Papa Roach (You should already know, but ya know, just in case.),

For BOTDF (God help us all....), I know this band, that you probably know, called Falling In Reverse. They're much better (In my opinion), and are much more publicly accepted. You won't get hated on for them. Just sayin'

For metalheads I have for you - Raintime, In Flames, Lordi, Static-X, and Kamelot.

For single songs, I have:
What If - Five for Fighting
The Last Night - Skillet
Transpose - Bad Suns
Backseat Serenade - All Time Low
Beat It - Raintime (Possibly greatest cover, ever?)
ULTRAnumb - Blue Stahli
The Worst Of Them - Issues
Sleep - Downplay
Alley Cat - Seventh Wonder
Bulletproof - Family Force 5 (Another great cover.)
Where Did The Angles Go - Papa Roach

I have a LOT more, but I'll just end it there.

maccrash

foggy notion
Years
y'know, if you're into post-hardcore then you should check out:

At the Drive-In - that chorus man. sounds euphoric, and loud.
Hüsker Dü - probably the original post-hardcore group, from the Eighties Matie. borderline hardcore, but more melodic and longer.
Refused - self-important and pretentious as all hell but it rocks.
Fugazi - Ian MacKaye (of Minor Threat fame) tries his hand at songs that are longer than a minute long. succeeds.
Slint (debatable as to whether or not they're post-hardcore, but close enough) - so, this is technically math rock/post-rock, but it's not the post-rock that you probably think of first. it's jaded, it's angry, it's twisted, it's filthy. but it's really great, and this is probably in my top 10 favorite albums ever.
and if you really want to be an official tumblr-music-loving-person then La Dispute - tumblrcore at its finest, as I hinted at before. this one's pretentious too, and angsty, but it works somehow. borderline spoken word, even.

in my opinion post-hardcore like Falling in Reverse isn't really post-hardcore and is a watered down, scenester-approved version of an exceptional genre. of course, this is just my opinion, so please don't get mad at me ):

if anyone else would like to get into some other genre but they don't know where to start, feel free to page me. I love recommending music to people, and I like to think I know a decent amount about it.

Last edited:

Apollo

怖がらないで
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Jul 22, 2017
I want to reccommend Me First And The Gimme Gimmes. They are a band who covers old songs such as Uptown Girl, Auld Lang Syne and I Will Always Love You, however, these covers are arranged in a punk rock style. :)

Crunch Punch

fire > ice
Years
Like old school in-your-face kinda punk rock? Cerebral Ballzy is pretty good at that. They have a new album coming out this year and though their debut one was pretty short it's also pretty darn good.

Harmonious Fusion

over the rainbow, there's a glorious sight
Years
You like the music from the Ar tonelico and Surge Concerto series, chances are you'll like Kaoling. She's a Vocaloid producer whose work bears many similarities to Akiko Shikata's stuff.

As for myself, I'm looking for artists similar to Yousei Teikoku, if anyone has any suggestions.

Years
I want to suggest Wu Fei - she is a Chinese artist who makes some beautiful avant-garde and traditional pieces!

Also,
I made a bunch of DIY style cd's for a few of Tongue & Groove Records WA releases. These are purely for fun. I love playing fast folky style music, so if you want a couple CD's feel free to message/post here. I just want to share/will mail for free. etc..
2052zbo.jpg

Listen here:

Last edited:

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
Years
If you like rap/hip-hop I'd like to recommend Snowgoons and Necro. Necro is actually good for metalheads too because they classify themselves as "Death Rap". It's some good stuff.

Back