• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Competitive Team Questions (and Incomplete Team Help)

Years
I'm curious because I'm not too familiar with the metagame, but let's say you have a Jolteon with 391 speed by lvl 100 and 318 SP ATK, which is quite frail in terms of defenses. Would this really make a difference when compared to a Jolteon with 394 Speed? And if so, how much?

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
I'm curious because I'm not too familiar with the metagame, but let's say you have a Jolteon with 391 speed by lvl 100 and 318 SP ATK, which is quite frail in terms of defenses. Would this really make a difference when compared to a Jolteon with 394 Speed? And if so, how much?

There are some issues. For starters, the Jolteon with 391 speed will be always outsped by pokemon within it's same base speed tier (130), and who are running a positive speed nature, and with max speed.

For example, a Jolteon with 394 Speed will always outspeed a Jolteon with 391 speed. So, that means that in a contest on which each Jolteon Shadow Balls each other, assuming their SpA are the same, there are no crits, or no SpD drop, then the faster one will always KO the slower one first.

However, not much non-scarfed pokemon have a 130 speed base tier, so, it's not too big of an issue.

Last edited:
Years
There are some issues. For starters, the Jolteon with 391 speed will be always outsped by pokemon within it's same base speed tier (130), and who are running a positive speed nature, and with max speed.

For example, a Jolteon with 394 Speed will always outspeed a Jolteon with 391 speed. So, that means that in a contest on which each Jolteon Shadow Balls each other, assuming their SpA are the same, there are no crits, or no SpD drop, then the faster one will always KO the slower one first.

However, not much non-scarfed pokemon have a 130 speed base tier, so, it's not too big of an issue.

Well I meant when facing other Pokemon besides itself. There really aren't any other Pokes in the tier that have the same base speed stat unless there's a Dragon Dancer.

...Guess I'll have to rebreed, maybe..

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
Well I meant when facing other Pokemon besides itself. There really aren't any other Pokes in the tier that have the same base speed stat unless there's a Dragon Dancer.

...Guess I'll have to rebreed, maybe..

Well look; besides pokemon that are +2 speed, Aerodactyl has the same base speed as Jolteon, and Scarf Politoed with 393 speed can outspeed pokemon that have 391. Also a +1 Gyarados has a max 391 speed, so that would be a speed tie.

If you wanna learn more, there's a great guide from smogon that explains speed tiers: http://www.smogon.com/bw/articles/ouspeed_tiers

Years
  • Seen Oct 13, 2014
Yeah, they sort of do.. ;__; In the game mechanics of today, a nature value
will always give a 10% increase in one stat and a 10% decrease in another stat.
If you know of the neutral natures that give no bonus whatsoever, its because
one stat is having a 10% increase and a 10% decrease in the same stat. They
cancel each other out basically. Natures will give potential bonuses to every
stat except for Hit Points.

I mean look: Salamence's max attack is about
405, but only if it's a attack-oriented nature. Salamence's max speed is 328,
but only with a speed-oriented nature. It can't reach those stats with a Impish
nature, which is a Defensive-oriented nature. It can only reach a max of 369 in
attack, and 299 in speed.

So you know, again, I recommend having an
attack oriented nature, or a speed oriented nature for Salamence.

Aww, I spent hours and all of my 4 rare candies and my only earthquake and dragon claw getting it to level 50... thanks anyways! :P Is Jolly or Naive better for a Dragon Dance, Outrage, Earthquake and Hydro Pump (basically offensive) Salamence?

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
Aww, I spent hours and all of my 4 rare candies and my only earthquake and dragon claw getting it to level 50... thanks anyways! :P Is Jolly or Naive better for a Dragon Dance, Outrage, Earthquake and Hydro Pump (basically offensive) Salamence?

Well it depends - if you're running a Dragon Dance set with a special attack, like in your case with Hydro Pump, you might want to try Naive, to avoid the 10% -SpA drop in stat. If you're running purely physical attacks with Dragon Dance, then you should try Jolly.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
Well it depends - if you're running a Dragon Dance set with a special attack, like in your case with Hydro Pump, you might want to try Naive, to avoid the 10% -SpA drop in stat. If you're running purely physical attacks with Dragon Dance, then you should try Jolly.
I think Hydro Pump on DD set is a waste of move space...
It's pretty useless to have Hydro Pump when you can have Adamant nature with Moxie.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I think Hydro Pump on DD set is a waste of move space...
It's pretty useless to have Hydro Pump when you can have Adamant nature with Moxie.

Hydro Pump is an option on DD Salamence if it's used on a Rain team so that it can deal with physical walls more easily, especially when it hasn't accumulated Moxie or DD boosts. Same story goes for Fire Blast on Sun and weatherless teams.

Years
So I have two Jolteons:
one with 30 SP ATK IV's and 28 Speed IV's
and one with 27 SP ATK IV's and 31 Speed IV's
Which one should I take? The second one has a higher HP and SP def IV's, while the first has higher defense.

The first also carries HP Fire, while the second has HP Water

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
So I have two Jolteons:
one with 30 SP ATK IV's and 28 Speed IV's
and one with 27 SP ATK IV's and 31 Speed IV's
Which one should I take? The second one has a higher HP and SP def IV's, while the first has higher defense.

The first also carries HP Fire, while the second has HP Water

Depends on what Hidden Power types both have, IMO. If it's Ice, Fire or Grass, go with that one. Otherwise, I'd go with the second one.

Years
Depends on what Hidden Power types both have, IMO. If it's Ice, Fire or Grass, go with that one. Otherwise, I'd go with the second one.

First one has HP Fire, the one with 28 IV's in Speed, and the second one has HP Water...I can't really pick which one as Water will give me ground type coverage, but Fire will help with Ferrothorn

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
First one has HP Fire, the one with 28 IV's in Speed, and the second one has HP Water...I can't really pick which one as Water will give me ground type coverage, but Fire will help with Ferrothorn

I'd say ground coverage would benefit you more. You don't really need Fire coverage, since most steel pokemon have sorta average SpD, so you'd be 2HKOing some of them with Thunderbolt anyway.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I'd say ground coverage would benefit you more. You don't really need Fire coverage, since most steel pokemon have sorta average SpD, so you'd be 2HKOing some of them with Thunderbolt anyway.

Actually, HP Fire is more important than HP Ground on Jolteon because of Ferrothorn, who would use Jolteon as setup bait for hazards/Leech Seed, or KO it outright with Power Whip. Heatran is still hit hard by Thunderbolt regardless.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
Actually, HP Fire is more important than HP Ground on Jolteon because of Ferrothorn, who would use Jolteon as setup bait for hazards/Leech Seed, or KO it outright with Power Whip. Heatran is still hit hard by Thunderbolt regardless.

It's a matter of preference from your team comp, really. I myself, normally use HP Grass on Jolteon, since I find hitting ground types to be more effective. I've only said my overall preference - they can both work; I guess it just matters on his team.

WolfMirage

"Last Raven"
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Nov 23, 2016
i need better counter-mearsures to deal with ice and fighting double battle pokes
heres my double team and ~rnc~ as breed this team for me and she says they have perect 8 stats across the broad, if it help at all
well anyways ill be looking into their moves myself, i just thought i post here to get some good remarks and any usefull info
Tyranitar:
-Crunch
-Rock Slide
-Low Kick
-Protect
Nature: Adamant
ability: Sand Stream

Garchomp:
-Earthquake
-Dragon Claw
-Rock Slide
-Protect
Nature: Jolly
Ability: Sand Veil

Gastrodon:
-Surf
-Ice Beam
-Earth Power
-Recover
Nature: Bold
Ability: Storm Drain

Gliscor:
-Earthquake
-Acrobatics
-Tailwind
-Protect
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Sand Veil

Last edited:

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
You can try something like Heatran or the fighting type Terrakion over your Gliscor or Garchomp if things go south against ice types. You can also have your Garchomp hold a Yache Berry, so that it'll have an easier time to sweep, or deal nice damage against them.

Last edited:

WolfMirage

"Last Raven"
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Nov 23, 2016
c my team got tore up by a sawk and the snowflake poke on the double train battle subway and if my team cant make on the battle subway, then theres no way they would make in online comptivite battles, cause this suppose to be a double battle team

but thanks for the advice, u do make a good point

Years
Help please, which fire attack to use for a Dragonite?

Alright, So I'm already planning my team for Pokemon X and Y, and Dragonite is going to be apart of it. I already have three moves, two that will counter his weaknesses, but I need one more.

I was wondering, should I use Flamethrower or Heat Wave? I know that Flame thrower rarely misses and has more PP than Heat Wave, but I would like to start competitively battling again, mainly in doubles battles (this is where heat wave is good, it attacks both opponents)

So which should I use? And, can you explain why?

My Dragonite will be holding an item that doesn't enhance accuracy nor power of fire moves, please keep that in mind.

WolfMirage

"Last Raven"
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Nov 23, 2016
i dinfinly need 2 rethink my double double team, i just lose 2 online battles and to 2 i just lost is a big understatment, my first battle, i face off agaist a breloom and mamoswin and throught the whole battle, i only got one chance 2 attack and that was with garchomp, i didnt even take 1 of the enemy pokes

im i missing some info 2 building desert team here

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
i dinfinly need 2 rethink my double double team, i just lose 2 online battles and to 2 i just lost is a big understatment, my first battle, i face off agaist a breloom and mamoswin and throught the whole battle, i only got one chance 2 attack and that was with garchomp, i didnt even take 1 of the enemy pokes

im i missing some info 2 building desert team here

Well, first, just because you're running a sanstorm team, doesn't mean you have to strictly use ground-type pokemon. D= Also, perhaps more offense will be your better defense.

One thing you can try to do, is that you can swap Gastrodon with Starmie, that has a moveset of Hydro Pump, Ice Beam, Recover, and Thunderbolt, sooo you can have more coverage for yourself. Have you also tried Stoutland? It has an amazing ability for sandstorm - Sand Rush. You can utilize a choice band on it, as it packs quite good power. You can also try Scizor - it has strong attack, and it's steel typing resists ice attacks.

Back