• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Contests

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
Pok%C3%A9mon%20Ruby%20%28US%29_04.png

Though they've had their many different forms, the original contests from Ruby, Sapphire & Emerald are pretty amusing concepts. Choosing between five categories: CUTE, COOL, BEAUTY, TOUGH, and SMART, you can showcase your Pokémon's best qualities in any way you seem fit! During the appeal rounds, you use moves accordingly, thinking about what kind of contest it is, as well as your 'position' in the round.

So, what did you think? Did you have fun in contests during their first incarnation? Do like them more or less than their revivals in later games? What Pokémon and strategies did you enjoy using?

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen today
Gen 3 had my favorite version of the contents.

Although I never made it far, because I used whatever moves I had on my team instead of making them specifically for contests. Either that or I wasn't any good at them.

Winning or losing, they were still fun.

Amy May

Banned
Years
  • Age 39
  • Seen Nov 13, 2021
I had most fun with it in ORAS tbh but then i was very OCD. xD .. i made a lot of my personal shinies contest stars, just for the additional graphics xD

never got into it much during 3rd Gen... did ingame castform of course, and the first Butterfree i could shove into that game xD

edit: forgot to read all this. xD

During the appeal rounds, you use moves accordingly, thinking about what kind of contest it is, as well as your 'position' in the round.

What Pokémon and strategies did you enjoy using?

I didn't have much problems in the contests because i was constantly making poke blocks and using them in every contest, ocd xD
... all the pokes could at least be taught 2 good moves. sometimes i also taught it a third move to add a combo, but tbh the the poke blocks add on alone was what always won it.

i honestly can't say if i even "enjoyed" the contests, it was more of an obsession. But the ribbon graphics on a poke was worth it to me. xD

Oh yeah, i also liked the ORAS screenshot thing during the contests.... somewhere i have a bunch of them xD

Last edited:
Years
never really tried out the contest in oras but i remember having fun with it in emerald. i felt like may when i won hahahaha

Amy May

Banned
Years
  • Age 39
  • Seen Nov 13, 2021
never really tried out the contest in oras but i remember having fun with it in emerald. i felt like may when i won hahahaha

you must mean ruby/sapphire then :)

... unless you meant the battle tent :)

Last edited:
Years
I loved the Gen 3 contests... once I figured out I was supposed to give PokeBlocks to my mons. But in the Master Rank it was difficult even then to win the primary judging. There was one time I had a Sealeo in a Master Rank contest, possibly a Beauty one, anyway, this Electrode named "Rodlect" got several 'hearts' from the audience, and then Sealeo was put on the pedestal in all his Gen 3 sad-eyes-sprite glory... and received no hearts. It was truly a sad moment to behold!
I have won the Master Rank Beauty contest with a Milotic in Emerald I think. Was likely wearing a Blue Scarf. That was probably the only way it managed to get enough votes in the primary judging.
Winning the contests in Gen 6 was far easier, because there was no limit of how many PokeBlocks a Pokemon could eat. You didn't need to be conservative about it, and that also meant that one Pokemon could ace all the categories. I at least got to enjoy having five of my Pokemon displayed in that upper floor of Lilycove Art Museum, something I never managed in Gen 3. But I missed the old way of making PokeBlocks. I play Gen 3 a lot still anyway.
The Super Contests of Gen 4 were okay. But Poffins were quite annoying to make after the relative simplicity of the PokeBlock Blender. Oh, and I always love when the "Blend Master" appears in Emerald. Him and his supply of rare berries... and impossible precision!

Years
When I was ten years old, I received a copy of Pokemon Sapphire for my birthday. Of course, around the time, the Pokemon anime was at Advanced Generation which had my one of my favorite characters, May, take part in contests. Because of the anime and game, I love and still love Pokemon contests. They were lots of fun and a new way to express your Pokemon aside from battling. I honestly wish we could get a game based on Pokemon contests and all you would have to do is compete in them to earn ribbons and participate in the Grand Festival at the end. :)

Reyzadren

Arid trainer
Years
Back in gen 3, I had 1 or 2 pokemon from the team participate in a normal rank contest with regular battle moves after being fed some cheap pokeblocks, just to have the achievement of getting a ribbon XD

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
yo i lived at the contest hall back in the day. i enjoyed contests more as a kid than i currently do, but i did have pokemon i raised specifically for contests and had a good time doing so. i remember winning all the ranks for beauty with a blaziken and coming close to winning all the ranks for cute with a wynaut. i think i had a gardevoir for smart that i only won two ranks with and then cool and tough were not my strong suits. i was still working on those. one step at a time and all, you know.

Years
I was never a huge fan of contests early on. My Pokemon barely scraped by to win what was necessary. Lol. I had a heck of a time

Years
I genuinely feel like Hoenn really did contests right; I was never really a huge fan of how convoluted they became in later generations. @_@

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
although i only ever did the beauty contest i found the contests in third gen really fun especially compared to later gens. the simplicity of them in gen 3 was perfect while in gen 4 i didn't particularly like the dress-up portion and please don't talk to me about what they did for fifth gen.

Back