• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

If Wii U Discontinues...

Years
  • Seen Mar 16, 2014
Do you think if Wii U Discontinues Nintendo will stop existing as a company all together or they will continue making portable games. I'm just wondering if Wii U fails they will stop making portable Pokemon games. What do you think?

Outlier

Nintendo have more than enough money to survive even if Wii U sales flop to the point where they stop making them. It wont look good on their part but the company will be just fine.

BadPokemon

Child of Christ
Years
Wii u and portable games are separate. I don't think that would happen any time soon, even if wii u stopped getting money. The wii u has actually made more money in the first month than the xbox 360 and ps3 did.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
BadPokemon's right; Wii U has nothing to do with portable games. If Wii U ever stopped selling though, for whatever reason, Nintendo will not stop existing as a company either. It'd take a whole lot more for them to become in-existent, in my opinion. :p Anyway, this doesn't really belong here; it'd fit better Video Games. If you don't mind, I'm going ahead and moving it there!

Moved.

\/

Grey Cat
Years
Nintendo have more than enough money to survive even if Wii U sales flop to the point where they stop making them. It wont look good on their part but the company will be just fine.

Like Nintendo, Blackberry and Nokia also have large amounts of "money". Unfortunately, Blackberry can't seem to find a buyer, and couldn't raise enough money to go private. Nokia was an older, larger, and richer company than Nintendo is today when it was bought by Microsoft.

I think Nintendo as a company will be around for at least another decade, but consider this: Nintendo's revenues are only twice that of Sega, and their held assets are slightly smaller than Blackberry's.*

Even if Nintendo as a company goes bankrupt or is bought out, their games will most likely still be made and developed by most of the same people since their development studios would be bought by rivals.

*hehehehe

Years
  • Seen Feb 5, 2023
I think that Nintendo will survive. I think that a lot of the companies that are in the works of producing games for the WiiU will suffer more than anything. There will be no Bayonetta 2 or Smash 4 if the WiiU discontinues an that would be heartbreaking Good thing I haven't purchased a WiiU yet or I'd be super ticked.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 16, 2022
Nintendo are in a much better position that they were with the Gamecube. If they do discontinue the Wii U (which they won't, the system has only been out of about a year), they will just replace it with a new console. And the 3DS is also being a huge money maker, so the idea of them going bankrupt is stupid.

They survived with the Gamecube, and the Wii U is in a similar situation.

Years
The 3DS, not only the Wii U, will have to go under for Nintendo to even be in the conversation for being bought out.

Nintendo are in a much better position that they were with the Gamecube.
Really? The GameCube sold about as much as the Xbox. The Wii U is poised to do even worse than the Dreamcast if its first-party titles don't turn its game around big-time.

MKGirlism

3DS and Wii U Game Developer
Years
Nintendo chose a wrong name, to begin with.
The name "Wii U" made many people, no matter they're gamers, journoes, Developers, or parents wanting to have their kids playing games, simply confuse about what it is.
Eventually, Mario Kart 8 won the Gamescom Awards, for being the 'best Wii game'.

Other than the name, Nintendo clearly cares a lot more about the Nintendo 3DS, than for Wii U.
No care from Nintendo = No care from 3rd Parties.
No care from 3rd Parties = No care from Nintendo.

But nonetheless, I'm one of the 3rd Parties, which continues to support the Wii U platform.

Lindblum

you're not alone
Years
My boyfriend has a Wii U and while I admit the games are quite fun, it's still just a Wii to me. I haven't yet played on a PS4 or Xbox One so I can't comment on how diverse they are from the Ps3/360 predecessors, but the fact that the Wii U is basically just a pretty Wii with half of a DS enlarged and made into a controller is what put me off getting one to be honest. It's kind of like if I took any Wii U games, they'd be just as good on the wii as they are on the wii u. And while the screen is a cool feature, it's one of those things that gets boring after a while. I wouldn't be upset if they discontinued it, tbh. But as has been said, Nintendo is a big enough company and it has many other options before it gets to the danger zone.

In my honest opinion I think the best thing they can do IS discontinue the Wii U and take a long hard sit in a meeting room and come up with something that can actually stand up to the new consoles. It's been out for a year and usually that is enough for a console to show it's worth and sadly for the U, it hasn't done anything but the opposite of that.

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
Years
Lol wow. Nintendo won't discontinue it, probably not. They can carry it till the next one.
And the 3DS and mobile gaming was DEAD for the first year or so, then boom it became a wild sucess, and if I remember right the PS3 wasn't so hot for the start of its life, despite ps2's sucess.

Honestly while Nintendo could've pushed more at launch, its getting better. I'm fine with the name, love it. And I love the system. It has better games that I'd enjoy out and coming out compared to the other systems.

The Wii U could be selling 1 Million a month, have a base of 6Mill, and third-party will still kinda throw it down. Why? Becuase of the company "Nintendo". They could be doing great and still not get that acknoledged, "family" "kid" and all that. While there have been games that proved otherwise.

Plus Nintendo has been a flop plenty of times. Virtual Boy, so on.

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
the fact that the Wii U is basically just a pretty Wii with half of a DS enlarged and made into a controller is what put me off getting one to be honest. It's kind of like if I took any Wii U games, they'd be just as good on the wii as they are on the wii u.
....what

So the Wii is just a Gamecube with motion controls?
The PS3 is just an Xbox 360 with free online?
The 3DS is just a DS with 3D?
The PS4 is just a stronger PS3?

It all sounds so silly. You can make the same criticism to every single console.

You can play Super Mario 3D World on the PS1 if they wanted to make it on it during that time, doesn't change the fact it won't be as good as it is now due to hardware limitation. Same thing with the Wii. Crap, you could say the same thing to every single game this gen. inFamous looks like it can play just fine on the PS3, Tearaway could be on the PSP, Killer Instinct seems like it could easily work on the 360, etc. but so what?

Sorry, but with all the problems the Wii U has, calling it a glorified Wii above all else seems super silly. It is, but so is every single console.

Lindblum

you're not alone
Years
....what

So the Wii is just a Gamecube with motion controls?
The PS3 is just an Xbox 360 with free online?
The 3DS is just a DS with 3D?
The PS4 is just a stronger PS3?

It all sounds so silly. You can make the same criticism to every single console.

You can play Super Mario 3D World on the PS1 if they wanted to make it on it during that time, doesn't change the fact it won't be as good as it is now due to hardware limitation. Same thing with the Wii. Crap, you could say the same thing to every single game this gen. inFamous looks like it can play just fine on the PS3, Tearaway could be on the PSP, Killer Instinct seems like it could easily work on the 360, etc. but so what?

Sorry, but with all the problems the Wii U has, calling it a glorified Wii above all else seems super silly. It is, but so is every single console.

I see where you're coming from and I accept it is similar, but the features that they have upgraded on the other consoles have been significant upgrades. And they've added stuff. As far as I'm aware, all the Wii U has done is made a really bad "POST ABOUT THIS" after each level social flop in Miiverse, (still can't believe they've added this to the Ds...)

If you look at the features the newer consoles added/upgraded from, you'll see that 90% of the time they are actually significant where as the Wii U just kind of added things and did them badly, leading to it being just a pretty Wii. The proof that this is true is the whole point of this thread: It's doing ****. It needs changes; better changes, or a complete change. They need to look at all of the additions they made to it and fix them.

Also, I am only comparing the Wii U to the Wii. Your comparing the PS3 with an Xbox etc. is irrelevant. They are different companies with different products. They didn't develop the PS3 from the Xbox 360. 3D is a significant addition, it adds a whole new scope to the games that no other console has done before. It was a good idea. The Wii U is developed from the Wii. And it's not a significant enough change to warrant it being a decent console. It's good because it's a Wii, but it's not good because it's supposed to be an IMPROVEMENT. That's what the new consoles have done, IMPROVED. Not beautified.

The whole thing about playing games on a Wii, I am referring to the ones such as Wii Sports etc where they have basically just Wii U'd a Wii game and it has come out exactly the same as its previous attempt. Infamous obviously has different graphics which needs a more advanced engine, with the case of the Wii, this is significantly less as it isn't driving for graphics and is more for a family friendly console. This is why it would be better for them to develop more breakthroughs like the 3DS. The 3DS did awful to start off because it didn't have the right games and thats what I feel is the only way the Wii U is going to redeem itself, with games like Bayonetta 2 that are new, different and exciting and not just the same old Wii we knew and loved, but don't want to buy at 4-5x the price because it has a different name and another screen.

If you still disagree, give this a read: http://nintendo.about.com/od/toppicks/tp/12-Reasons-The-Wii-U-Will-Fail.htm

I cannot fully back up my opinion as I haven't yet played PS4 or Xbox One, but as I've played a Wii and a Wii U, I'm making a comparison between the two in _my_ opinion.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
Wii U's failure isn't that it's not bringing new changes (lol), it's Nintendo's dumb idea for a name and their lack of proper marketing.

All you're saying is "the Wii U didn't bring anything new to the table like all the other consoles!" without really providing any explanations. Uh, introducing off-tv play? A touch screen on a controller that is actually useful? Good social network in Miiverse? Way better online capabilities and much stronger hardware with HD (how the hell is this not an improvement in its own, or are you telling me the Wii is as capable as a Wii U?)

Gamecube to Wii was: Motion controls, online and home menu. How is that way better than the Wii to Wii U? And 3D is significant (and the PS3/360 did it) but something like Gamepad and Miiverse that can actually be beneficial to the game design isn't? Come on now.

In fact if the Wii U was just a Wii 2 and was marketed as such then hell it'd have done way better.

Lindblum

you're not alone
Years
Wii U's failure isn't that it's not bringing new changes (lol), it's Nintendo's dumb idea for a name and their lack of proper marketing.

All you're saying is "the Wii U didn't bring anything new to the table like all the other consoles!" without really providing any explanations. Uh, introducing off-tv play? A touch screen on a controller that is actually useful? Good social network in Miiverse? Way better online capabilities and much stronger hardware with HD (how the hell is this not an improvement in its own, or are you telling me the Wii is as capable as a Wii U?)

Gamecube to Wii was: Motion controls, online and home menu. How is that way better than the Wii to Wii U? And 3D is significant (and the PS3/360 did it) but something like Gamepad and Miiverse that can actually be beneficial to the game design isn't? Come on now.

In fact if the Wii U was just a Wii 2 and was marketed as such then hell it'd have done way better.

Again you are ignoring the fundamentals of WHY it is failing and just saying "Gamecube to Wii" But motion controls were a HUGE advancement in gaming. I don't know about where you live, but when they brought out Eyetoy for the PS2 everyone I knew, gamer or not raved about it. It even got people I know who would slate gaming til the cows come home up on their feet, cracking a smile while they washed windows in a fun game that they'd never been able to play before. The Wii took this and made it GOOD and implemented it into so many games effectively. How on EARTH can you say Gamecube to Wii was not a big step? I'm pretty sure I saw on another forum in the same topic issue that the Wii sold more than the PS3 and Xbox 360. Because it was brilliant. It had brilliant games, it was new and fresh.

The Wii U, name aside, has bad games and it has had a whole YEAR and it's development periods to get good games. I can name about 2 that will make the Wii U do well, but that's it. All they have brought out so far is a **** ton of Mario games which all have similar gameplay and while Mario is all well and good the console needs VARIETY. If it can't bring anything new to the table in terms of features and add-ons, it needs to rethink it's game library and come up with something better and fast. You can't say the Wii U has a bad name and blame that on it's failure. The Wii has a weird name to begin with, urination jokes aside. There are plenty of products in the world with ridiculous names that still manage to sell.

Face it: The Wii U needs better games and/or features or it is going to FAIL. It doesn't have a saving grace left for it unless Nintendo pull their finger out. If they had decent games to advertise rather than just Mario this and Mario that, they might, as they said they were going to, bring games out that aren't just aimed at the 90 year old grannies and grandads at the local care home that want to play Tennis while they drink their tea.

As for the features: Drawing on a screen. Wow. Amazing. So while I'm playing my game I have to take the time out to take out the stylus and hold the heavy game pad in one hand while I work out what is going on on the controller screen. The only thing I've ever seen the screen used for is for looking at maps, or taping random things on the screen like in Rayman, which gets boring in seconds. It worked well for the DS because that was it's sole feature. The touch screen was what people wanted it for. It was small, light and most of the games were touch screen dominant. With the Wii U, it just seems like they added it so that they didn't have to come up with anything else. Lets put a map on there, people can move it around and shake it, they'll love that for hours on end. As I said, Miiverse is awful. Even my boyfriend gets frustrated when he gets a message after every level of Mario saying "POST ABOUT THIS GAMEEEE"

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
Holy crap, I never said the gamecube to wii wasn't significant. I was making a point that I could just call a Wii a glorified Gamecube with motion controls the same way you did with the Wii U.

And then you take all that back and blame it on the games. Get real. The games are there, 3D World is very critically acclaimed and supposedly one of the best games this year, same with Pikmin 3 and New Super Mario Bros U, and you got games with cult following like Wonderful 101 and ZombiU, and a remake of a very popular game in Wind Waker, amongst all others. You can't blame "same old same old" when the damn Wii had Mario Kart, New Super Mario Bros Wii, Zeldas, Kirbys, etc were on the top of the charts and moved a LOT of Wiis. In fact, NSMBU has an attach rate of 60%. That is DAMN impressive, for "another Mario game". And why is being a Mario game have anything to do with its quality? Mario games are KING of game design and level design since the NES days, there's a reason the series is still big. Milked or not, the series sells, so you can't go say that it doesn't. (Or say only kids or elders play it, lol.) Actually damn there are more Wii Us sold recently thanks to Mario 3D World. Your precious new IPs like Wonderful 101 and ZombiU unfortunately did NOTHING, and they're damn great games.

It's not the games (the PS4 got nothing now, explain why it's selling?), it's the name. The Wii U is awfully confusing to the general audience, there are so many people who think it's just a controller add on to the Wii. There's evidence to that, but no evidence regarding this stupid "it has no games" argument.

Last edited:

Lindblum

you're not alone
Years
Holy crap, I never said the gamecube to wii wasn't significant. I was making a point that I could just call a Wii a glorified Gamecube with motion controls.

And then you take all that back and blame it on the games. Get real. The games are there, 3D World is very critically acclaimed and supposedly one of the best games this year, same with Pikmin 3 and New Super Mario Bros U, and you got games with cult following like Wonderful 101 and ZombiU, and a remake of a very popular game in Wind Waker, amongst all others. You can't blame "same old same old" when the damn Wii had Mario Kart, New Super Mario Bros Wii, Zeldas, Kirbys, etc were on the top of the charts and moved a LOT of Wiis. In fact, NSMBU has an attach rate of 60%. That is DAMN impressive, for "another Mario game". And why is being a Mario game have anything to do with its quality? Mario games are KING of game design and level design since the NES days, there's a reason the series is still big. Milked or not, the series sells, so you can't go say that it doesn't. (Or say only kids or elders play it, lol.)

It's not the games, it's the name. The Wii U is awfully confusing to the general audience, there are so many people who think it's just a controller add on to the Wii. There's evidence to that, but no evidence regarding this stupid "it has no games" argument.

Can you actually please learn to read and in-take what you are reading? You CANT call the Wii a glorified Wii. The Wii was incredibly more advanced. Design, Graphics, Games, Gameplay. You're an idiot if you still think that.

The games AREN'T there. Nintendo made the Wii U with the idea of "appealing to core gamers" but they've not followed through. Yes, Pikmin and the new Mario game is good. But it's not there for the core gamers. And Mario has been done on the Wii. And you are completely missing the point of this discussion. I am saying the Wii was brilliant for what it was. I have never said otherwise. But the Wii U is not. It's failing because it is just a Wii. Most people will have or had a Wii. They don't want to buy a Wii U which is practically a Wii with an extra screen. Go onto the internet which you have been gifted with, and search with the magic that is google, for why the Wii U is failing. I assure you, the name is NOT the main reason as to why it is failing. It is an awful console that had potential and unless they do something about it, it will remain so. The Wii appealed to families which are content with their much cheaper and very similar Wiis, but the core gamers who will add the cash in pocket that Nintendo makes new consoles for, won't want to even look the Wii U's way.

The PS4 has recently been released. The Wii U has been out for at least a year, if I'm not mistaken? Plenty of time to get in some good games. But nada. Playstation has promised around 150 or so new games in the PS4's first year. I can't even think of 20-30 games for the Wii U that have been significant enough for me to remember, and I'm not sure if there are many more than that, but I'll have a look.

"Since then, Nintendo has had only one real success: the Wii, which was praised for its differentiated game play -- the motion control -- and easily accessible games. The Wii U failed to generated the same excitement, and it's often criticized as being the same console with a new controller. As a result, third-party support is more important to Nintendo now more than in its previous generation." - Taken from http://www.fool.com/investing/gener...-is-just-like-windows-phone.aspx#.UsCc1rSTIWo

I am literally not the only one that thinks this. And while you may be right with the name, it is only part of the Wii U's problems.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
Can you actually please learn to read and in-take what you are reading? You CANT call the Wii a glorified Wii. The Wii was incredibly more advanced. Design, Graphics, Games, Gameplay. You're an idiot if you still think that.
You can say the same thing with the Wii U. Don't call me an idiot. (And no, the Wii wasn't a significant leap from the gamecube graphics and game-wise, far from it.)

The games AREN'T there. Nintendo made the Wii U with the idea of "appealing to core gamers" but they've not followed through. Yes, Pikmin and the new Mario game is good. But it's not there for the core gamers.
Why not? Mario still has the great level design for every one and challenge for the core gamers, and Pikmin 3 is still tense and fresh with great strategy. You got Wonderful 101 which is puely for core gamers, and ZombiU brought back survival horror that these "core gamers" love. Sonic Lost World brings back classic hardcore level design, and Wind Waker, popular with the "core gamers", got a remake. Then you got to new Zeldas, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, and various third party.

Just make it quick and say it's the kiddy image, which "core gamers" are stupid for thinking that.
And Mario has been done on the Wii. And you are completely missing the point of this discussion. I am saying the Wii was brilliant for what it was. I have never said otherwise.
I never did either, don't pull a strawman argument. The Wii is my favorite console.
But the Wii U is not. It's failing because it is just a Wii. Most people will have or had a Wii. They don't want to buy a Wii U which is practically a Wii with an extra screen.
Stop repeating what you said and provide evidence.

Go onto the internet which you have been gifted with, and search with the magic that is google, for why the Wii U is failing. I assure you, the name is NOT the main reason as to why it is failing. It is an awful console that had potential and unless they do something about it, it will remain so.
http://www.dailyfinance.com/2013/11/10/nintendo-could-be-forced-to-discontinue-the-wii-u/
First result, blaming Nintendo for not making it another Wii and targeting the casual market.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=672165
Most posts (all) backing me up with the lack of advertising and blaming the name. Some are blaming the lack of games (you see this in PS4 threads in that same forum though, so it doesn't mater), but now that settled down after Mario 3D World.

Last edited:
Back