• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ASM & Hex] Changing Player's Name/Removing Name Input

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Mar 13, 2019
Hi, I'm attempting to give the player in Pokemon Gold a preset name and I would like to remove the option to rename the character at the beginning. The latter was taken care of utilizing IntroTweaker Gold, but the former has been fruitless. I've tried editing the hex codes for the player name- apparently 0x200B in the hex editor, but this has 1, not given me a name at all, and 2, prevented me from continuing, causing a crash. Is there a tool that could help me do this or am I missing something within the hex codes that I should be manipulating. Thank you!

Capt.Robvious

That One Guy
Years
I had asked a similar question awhile ago, but no one answered it. Are there any tutorials on how to do this? I'd also like to do this for a hack of Blue version, if that's possible.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 24, 2023
I think the main reason no one has been able to answer so far is because the vast majority of hacking Gen I/II is done with the disassemblies nowadays as opposed to tools - pokéred/pokécrystal respectively. A repository exists for pokégold but pokécrystal is much more widely used/well documented. Both of you might have better luck using those?

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
Years
If you study and lear z80 assembly, this shouldn't be that difficult of a task to accomplish. I don't remember an exact address, but I believe there is a main routine in rom bank 0x1 (between 0x4000 and 0x7FFF) which handles the whole intro sequence process. If you take a look at the rom map (https://datacrystal.romhacking.net/wiki/Pokémon_Gold_and_Silver:ROM_map), you can for example see that the sprite number loaded for the main character is stored in address 0x6037.

What you can do is to go to that address with an assembly editor of your choice (I recommend https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/282/), test what different function calls around there do (by for example changing them into three 00s which stand for NOP (= no action performed) instructions), and that way see, how to NOP out the part of the code which opens the "menu box" consisting of different naming options ("NEW NAME" followed by default names). The function call / part of the main routine you want to for example NOP out is most likely somewhere after the rom address 0x6037 because after the sprite of the main character is loaded, the game still prints some text, and moves the sprite of the main character to the right side of the screen (before displaying the menu consisting naming options).

You can naturally do this same thing using pokecrystal like Avara recommended. pokecrystal is generally easier to edit, and better especially for bigger rom hacks.

Last edited:
Back