• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Magnius Guide to Pokemon Music Hacking

20% Brock

Freikorps Representative
Years
ô.O
Of course, US version of Firered is supported. I use it myself with sappy.
Maybe you changed, accidently or not, the header code of the rom and now sappy can't load it.
Can u open it in AM, UnLZ, cyclone etc.?

The code I mean is BPRE, which is the normal one and says the programm: Hello, I'm this version, so load this data.
It can be changed with the header editor or whatever it may be called, or through hex. If it's changed, tools wont recognize which version it is and will say: Unsupportet or Unknown.
So maybe you changed it accidently, I don't know. Just try opening it with other tools.

edit: Download the Rom header editor advance from -hackmew-'s toolbox--> Here

Open the rom, and write BPRE into the game code box.
If there's already BRPE inside..dunno, just delete it and write it again and save.
I hope that's the problem.
It's not the header (I'm working on an Emerald hack btw, not FR). I've had RHEA for some time, but never used it other than to check for this very problem earlier. The header is BPEE just as it should be.
I've already made quite a few changes using all kinds of tools. They all support it just fine.

Johto Legend 17

A Legend of Johto
Years
well, that's easy to explain...the rom isn't supportet ^^''
Maybe the language was a problem.

And @Martin: Yeah you're right with that, but sometimes you already HAVE the newest version of the file, but it keeps showing the error message.
Then it's nor registered and you have to use the regsvr32 command to register it ^^
That was my problem some time ago.

@naturofoxlover: which operator system do you use, XP. 2000 or vista?
Pls tell me what exactly you typed into the box ;)

Well I typed this in the run box and plus I already put the file in the system 32 folder but heres what I typed in: regsvr32 C: \windows\system32\vbalcbex6.ocx and it gave me a stupid message which I put up above. I have windows xp as far as I know.

Years
  • Seen Jun 29, 2011
i didnt read it all but if youre able to change the weard sound of all pokemon to the real sound like they are saying their name, if some1 would make that that would be realy cool, i think it many other people would like that too!

AmineX

Music Expert
Years
would like know maginus why drum (acoustic grand channel 10)no sound in rom when i use string ensemble 1 and some other instrument?
all compatile instrument work fine
why drum no drum no?
what i can do?

Magnius

Pokemon Music Hacking Guru
Years
  • Seen Feb 17, 2014
i didnt read it all but if youre able to change the weard sound of all pokemon to the real sound like they are saying their name, if some1 would make that that would be realy cool, i think it many other people would like that too!
lol sorry wouldn't know anything about that. You'd probably need something that could extract and insert the Pokemon cries. Then there's all that confusing stuff like length, compression and it would probably be complicated.

would like know maginus why drum (acoustic grand channel 10)no sound in rom when i use string ensemble 1 and some other instrument?
all compatile instrument work fine
why drum no drum no?
what i can do?
Well this is more advance stuff which you'll probably figure out in tutorial 2 of this. Most likely I'd say that the voicegroup you assembled in doesn't support the particular kind of drums you're using OR simply, you're using too many instruments.

cooley

///Keepin' it simple
Years
For some reason, Verdanturf Music, sounds horrible, at the beginning, but it sounds great in Pokemon Rijon adventures, and I extracted it from Rijon Adventures, so I wouldn't have to fix the one extracted from Ruby. It sounds great passed the beginning.

I noticed that if you insert music over different songs, you get different results. Islands 6-7, anything you insert will sound great on it! I tried editing the song in Advil Studio, but it's still the same. Verdanturf is a good song, by the way, but it is so hard to insert :\

Magnius

Years
  • Seen Feb 17, 2014
For some reason, Verdanturf Music, sounds horrible, at the beginning, but it sounds great in Pokemon Rijon adventures, and I extracted it from Rijon Adventures, so I wouldn't have to fix the one extracted from Ruby. It sounds great passed the beginning.

I noticed that if you insert music over different songs, you get different results. Islands 6-7, anything you insert will sound great on it! I tried editing the song in Advil Studio, but it's still the same. Verdanturf is a good song, by the way, but it is so hard to insert :\
Yup thus is the magic of different voice groups. When inserting something, it's good to replace it with a song that has a lot of the same instruments. Thus is explained more in-depth in tutorial 2.

Oh yeah and I made a new video tutorial of Sappy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=el2s5EIHWSM

NTA

Where?
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Feb 10, 2012
so i change
Capture1.jpg
to
Capture2.jpg

heres a video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=013nAwGeVJo of what happened

Last edited:

NTA

Where?
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Feb 10, 2012
lol, Do you even know what's the voice group offset? Yours is absolutely wrong and made up...

oh i would have never thought of that so i enter a new offset for the voice group offset would i need a hex editor for the free space or canyou give me an offset

Master_Track

ROM Reaverz Scripter
Years
I made a little list of instruments of voicegroups by extracting songs from the game Pokemon Firered and opening it in a programm to see the instruments.
It's not completed yet, and only for firered, but maybe it helps.
Spoiler:

Magnius

Years
  • Seen Feb 17, 2014
I made a little list of instruments of voicegroups by extracting songs from the game Pokemon Firered and opening it in a programm to see the instruments.
It's not completed yet, and only for firered, but maybe it helps.
Spoiler:
lol it's funny I'm submitting a full document on that. Has all the voicegroups and stuff.

Magnius

Years
  • Seen Feb 17, 2014
thx for telling me, now I don't have to complete it xD
yeah sorry. But whenever it gets approved and posted, it's gonna help out people A LOT with music insertion. Knowing the voicegroups and how to change them will give you a lot more power over how the inserted midi sounds.

AmineX

Music Expert
Years
great list master track
now u can make ruby liste for complete documentation about voices groups

NTA

Where?
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Feb 10, 2012
would i need a hex editor to find free space for sappy? or fsf?

Magnius

Years
  • Seen Feb 17, 2014
great list master track
now u can make ruby liste for complete documentation about voices groups
Well lol I made a full document on Fire Red/Leaf Green voicegroups, but I can do one on Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald if you really want me to.

cooley

///Keepin' it simple
Years
would i need a hex editor to find free space for sappy? or fsf?
You can use both...:\

And I really, just make my own voicegroups, that makes the Ruby music sound better.
I'm having hard time inserting DP music though. :(

Can't wait for the Voicegroup table of RUBY :D

NTA

Where?
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Feb 10, 2012
You can use both...:\

And I really, just make my own voicegroups, that makes the Ruby music sound better.
I'm having hard time inserting DP music though. :(

Can't wait for the Voicegroup table of RUBY :D

thanks so i just use the same free space that i would use for scripting?

Master_Track

ROM Reaverz Scripter
Years
That's exactly what you have to do ;)
Free space is free space, wheter you fill it with scripts or music.

Back