• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Likes and Dislikes of Gen V Pokémon

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Mar 3, 2019
you know id prefer cute, cool yet elegant pokemon. i have to say emolga, snivy, and the others are great. i dislike the palpitoad line, the musketeers, and many other pokemon. i love the starters (first stages) and the main mascots though.

Years
I prefer cute, fun and unique Pokemon. That's why I like the girl you see in my sig and avie, because she fits the description. I mean, Gothitelle is a little girl with a bow in her hair and on her dress. Also having a fragile appearance yet learning moves like Brick Break is awesome.

My only thing is that she should learn more fighting moves like Close Combat. Also she should have been a duo fighting/psychic type.

Hydreigon is also cute fun and unique. It smiles and it has its charm, while realising a dangerous dragon rush.

2Cool4Mewtwo

Pwning in Ubers since 1996.
Years
Likes - Even though some people call gen V pokemon "unoriginal" because they look unoriginal, I like their designs and creativity compared to the past generation pokemon (none of them really stick to my mind), and maybe even beat some of the original pokemon in terms of ingenuity imo.

Dislikes - Actually nothing really, but if I had to pick something out then I would say that some gen V pokemon "mirror" the gen I pokes (ex. timburr evo line vs machop evo line, roggenrola evo vs geodude, throw/sawk vs hitmonlee/chan, etc..), though I would understand if some people think it's cool

I prefer cute, fun and unique Pokemon. That's why I like the girl you see in my sig and avie, because she fits the description. I mean, Gothitelle is a little girl with a bow in her hair and on her dress. Also having a fragile appearance yet learning moves like Brick Break is awesome.

My only thing is that she should learn more fighting moves like Close Combat. Also she should have been a duo fighting/psychic type.

Hydreigon is also cute fun and unique. It smiles and it has its charm, while realising a dangerous dragon rush.
gothitelle as part fighting type o_O I thought it's supposed to be girly... I think brick break is enough for it though :) If any thing I wanted it to be dark/psychic type (unique types ftw), it would fit more into its "goth" background while having psychic powers :P

Years
I was surprised to find that I had more favorites in genV compared to any other generation. The reuniclus evo line is probably my favorite out of the entire franchise :D
of course there were a few designs I didn't like, but it's natural to have some dislikes. Besides, some of them have grown on me after getting used to them or from watching the anime. I think a lot of people don't like the designs because they're new and not used to them. It reminds me of what I read in this book called Blink: the book talked about how this new chair design was created and everyone hated the chair and said it was ugly, but a year later it became the best selling chair in the US because the design was actually really creative, it's just that people weren't used to it when it first came out because it was so different from what they were accustomed to. For those that keep insisting that the original 151 are the best, I'm just glad we have a new generation which means another game to play xD

West the Hardcore Nerd

Giggles at the ghosties!
Years
These designs are the kind that really grow on you. They have to grow on you. I thought they were really awful at first, but now Generation V is easily my favorite addition. They seem much more creative than ever before, but I certainly didn't think that at first, since I never truly liked them until I actually played the games. I prefer them even to the Generation I Pokemon, which admittedly seem kind of bland now, to be honest...

Magicsaur

Code Hero
Years
Gen V is a whole is okay. I love the new bugs in particular. But that Thundrous/Tornadus/Whateverus pokemon is really lacking in creative design and execution. It's a buff genie thing with a mustache, sitting on a cloud. Seriously? Come on, Gamefreak. Even Jynx looks better than those things. And that's saying a lot. :|

Years
gothitelle as part fighting type o_O I thought it's supposed to be girly... I think brick break is enough for it though :) If any thing I wanted it to be dark/psychic type (unique types ftw), it would fit more into its "goth" background while having psychic powers :P
Girls can fight *raises eyebow* (n n)

Iff Gothie wuz dark, she have a fighting weakness. And that kinda takes awaye ze unique aspect of the character. A little girl that can take out big guys XD

Gen V is a whole is okay. I love the new bugs in particular. But that Thundrous/Tornadus/Whateverus pokemon is really lacking in creative design and execution. It's a buff genie thing with a mustache, sitting on a cloud. Seriously? Come on, Gamefreak. Even Jynx looks better than those things. And that's saying a lot. :|

if yew think abowt it, Tornadous is King Tritian on a cloud (= =)

Hooh

Only if for a night.
Years
  • Seen Jan 11, 2015
Throh, Sawk, and the Timburr line are yuck >_>

But all the bird Pokemon, and Reshiram are amazing <3

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
if yew think abowt it, Tornadous is King Tritian on a cloud (= =)
Oh wow Gothitelle, that's an awesome theory. XD

But yeah, I think Tornadus / Landorus suck, but Thundurus? Come on, its black straight... circular things coming off it are awesome and it's a pretty colour (blue and purple). I've become a big fan of Thundurus. ^____^;

marcc5m

what
Years
Well Tbh the "pokemon" looks is compleatly down to peference :) I've always seen pokemon as animals with a "super ability" and then a natural looking way of getting them Aka Pikachu a mouse with electric and the electric comes from the read patches on its cheeks, Unlike Yu gi oh i see as creatures that get up-graded due to spells and such E.g Genesect looks like a bug thats been up graded with the bug cannon (Yeah go old school yh gi oh ! ) that's what I mean but as i said it's down to peferences and if it wasn't down to us moaning i guess we would have loads of pokemon like Pidove, Ducklett Ect cause we wouldn't be challenging the designers to come up with new ideas. :)

P.s Us English love a good moan ! :L

What about Blastoise? Looks like it's been upgraded with cannons. The whole point in Genesect that he's a bug who has been upgraded by Team Plasma. Key word: Upgraded. All of the new, weird and unusual designs just show that Game Freak has came up with a lot of much better ideas, and are giving more thought into their Pokemon.

Can tell xD.

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
Gen V, in my opinion, has the best Pokémon designs of all generations. It introduced a lot of Pokémon that have potential to be my favorite Pokémon of all time. (Golurk, Landorus, Krookodile, Stunfisk, Vanilluxe, etc.) They were very creative with this gen. Here are some of my favorites:
641.gif
642.gif
645.gif

The Kami trio is my favorite legendary trio. (Not including mascot trios eg. Groudon/Kyogre/Rayquaza and Dialga/Palkia/Giratina.) I hated them at first, I'll admit, but they grew on me very fast. I love their designs, their typing and how useful they are in competitive battling. People seem to hate them because they look the same, but that's one of the reasons why I like them. (They feel...unique.)
Speaking of looking the same, I don't see any hate on Azelf/Uxie/Mesprit. (the heads are just different.) :\
622.gif
623.gif

When it comes to the most creative
Pokémon, Golurk takes the cake for me. I love the idea around it, and its design is very appealing and creative. A possessed battle suit made to protect humans and Pokémon.(It is the first man-made Pokémon!) Why isn't it a legendary? (But then Golett wouldn't exist! D:) I just don't see why people hate it so much. :<
551.gif
552.gif
553.gif

I loved the Sandile family the moment I saw them. Sandile is based on a crocodile. If that isn't awesome enough, take a look at Krokorok and Krookodile; they are based on a Baryonyx! A crocodile-like dinosaur with very sharp claws. It's one of my favorite dinosaurs and I always wanted a
Pokémon based on it! They're Ground/Dark as well. :P
550%20RF.gif
550%20BF.gif

Basculin was also a
Pokémon I loved the moment I saw it. It's a fish, with two different appearances. I love the idea around it.
Bulbapedia said:
Basculin were most likely inspired by betta fish. Both sexes of betta display horizontal bars of color either when frightened or setting up a pecking order. They are very violent and can even fight to the death. Its appearance may have been based on a bass or piranha, one of which has historically been viewed as violent.
Makes it up for the lack of a Megalodon Pokémon for me. :D Design is so good too.
639.gif

Terrakion is a a bulldog-ox
Pokémon! Very very cool design. <3
618.gif

OK, many of you hate this guy. But why? It's sooooooo cute and derpy. :B I LOOOOOOOOOOOOVEEEEEEE it. Very underrated
Pokémon. It's as awesome as Magikarp imo. ;; Maybe it isn't that good in battling but I don't really care. At all.
582.gif
583.gif
584.gif

CUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUTE! That is all. Who doesn't love ice cream anyway?

There are many more I would list, like the Litwick family, Cobalion, Kyurem, Genesect, the fossils, Ferroseed/Ferrothorn, the Solosis family, and MANY more. Gen V is just amazing when it comes to the
Pokémon.
I don't really dislike any of them. 8D (except maybe Deerling because it KO'd its self when it was shiny. >:(((((()

EDIT: I forgot to mention that Gen V has my least favorite starters. They are pretty good, but I just prefer the older starters.

Last edited:

XxSweetDreamsxX

From the shadows~
Years
I really honestly dont know why everyone likes this generation's pokemon designs.
I believe that this was the generation that failed the most.

It seemed like the pokemon in this Gen were either great, or horribly designed. These are my opinions of course, but many pokemon still haven't grown on me.

Like Thundurus(the other roaming legendaries), the Klink family line, the Vanillte family, the Timburr family, Sawk and Throh( hitmonchamp and hitmonlee wanna-bes ), Tympole( oh my gosh that face XwX;;; )- the list goes on. And Cobalion...oh my gosh...I just, really hate him.

I guess Scraggy and Scrafty grew on me, because I use to hate them along w/ Reshiram, but they're now my favorites. I also love Archen and Archeops <333
Sawsbuck, Reuniclus, and Blitzle I find very original. They dont remind me of any of the previous pkm. C: Emolga was a nice edition to the electric rodent family, and the Litwick family was very original.

And trust me there are MANY other beautiful designs they've made. I just don't like most of them.

The overall point is, they have to work harder on the pokemon. Thats just my thought on it.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
So like, I hated Crimgan, then I kinda liked Crimgan, and now I hate it again. Full circle. ^___^;

Surprised I like the ones I do, (Emboar, Herdier, Zekrom) because I usually go for cute/pretty ones tbh. :(

vagrantwanderer

Saturated Sarcasm
Years
Most Hated New Pokemon?

Alright, I don't know if this has been touched on before, so bear with me if it has. Every new round of Pokemon has its very own Mr. Mimes, and I think my three most hated new Pokes would have to be Gothita (that thing looks creepy as hell), Vanilluxe (for obvious reasons), and finally Garbador (which looks like a monster drawn by a 5 year old, no offense to 5 year olds- you could probably draw a better pokemon than this monstrosity).

So...most hated?
most loved?

Heart Gold

Jellicent Trainer
Years
  • Seen Feb 6, 2012
Personally, Garbador makes me LOL. Without it I would be sad.

Mine would have to be the Goth thing.

Years
In terms of appearance:
Least Favorite: Garbodor, Trubbish, and Stunkfish. Or whatever it's called. They just... don't look all that great.

Favorite: Reshiram, Zekrom, Serperior, and Lillipup--it just looks really cute to me.

And that's about all I can think of right now.

dieter57

pokemon master
Years
well the garbage bags were supposed to be hideous. they're mutated garbage bags due to exposure of toxic waste.
however, stunfisk is horrible. in every sense of the word.
vaniluxe has grown on me. i tolerate them. but i dont think ill be using them anytime soon.
one i thought i hated was galvantula. but now it's one of my favorite pokemon. lol

Notworking15

Wait...WHAT?!
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen May 29, 2011
lets see, stunfisk, trubbish and its evolution, and all the new dragon types...why dragon types you ask? BECAUSE THEY ARE CHEAP...sorry...

Back