• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

SAVING A LOT OF DATA!

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
I don't know about y'all, but every time I see that message I want to smash my Pokemon into a million pieces and bury it where it can never be restored. It's a message that has plagued so many Pokemon games in both generation 4 and 5. It's worst in Diamond and Pearl though.

What are your thoughts on this message? How do you feel about how it has been improved over time?

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Fight a Starly? SAVING A LOT OF DATA. Accidentally click on the PC? SAVING A LOT OF DATA. Make a wrong turn? SAVING A LOT OF DATA.

I hate this feature. Just say "saving" like normal and make us THINK it's not a lot of data, when really, it isn't. Diamond and Pearl are impossible to play because of the speed, and that includes the saving speed as well. Just atrocious.

So happy XY saves in like two seconds. <3

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
That message was extremely annoying to read, honestly. ;o; I'm a pretty impatient personal in general; having to see that and wait was a pretty big pain for me. Thankfully, though, I've never had to as much when saving in generation five games... well, maybe I have, but I just don't remember. Haha. What would cause them to take this long to save, anyway? I mean, there were other games out there with much advanced graphics and sound, and their saving speed would only be around six seconds at most.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
That message was frustrating to say the least. It felt like forever saving in D/P, though Platinum/HG/SS was a lot more tolerable. I'm glad games save faster in Gens V and VI.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
Years
Diamond and Pearl is my jam.

I got pretty anxious just waiting for it to complete its saving "loads of data required to move Staraptor to the party" so I can close the DS and get on with my shenanigans.

Years
Ugh tell me about it, Diamond & Pearl's extremely slow saving times.

Now that I've read this, I might not even consider using the Starly line as my flyers again but at least they learned their lesson and made the game save a bit faster in 5th Gen, but they definitely nailed quick saving times as of 6th Gen.

Fernbutter

Murder is the way.
Years
When I first saw this, I thought it was serious and stuff that was important was actually saving. Then later this just kept happening again, and again, and again then I just-

*explodes*

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 24, 2014
Those had been hardware limitations, probably because of the cheap flash memory the DS carts had. The save times on a R4 flashcart were much shorter, basically XY levels of short, which is unacceptable - the legitimate product shouldn't be inferior to third party stuff *cough*Ubisoft*cough*

At least the frame rate is a bit higher.

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
Its a very annoying feature, and as many have already said, its garbage because it displays that message after everything you do -.-
Thank Arceus the save feature in X/Y is incredibly fast xD

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 21, 2021
It hasn't ever really bothered me....saving is a lot quicker in X & Y though. I think saving times become more apparent when you're playing past games. When it's current it doesn't seem so bad because it's generally still quicker than the previous gen.

but then after you've tried saving on the Sims 3, nothing fazes you too much.

Years
Yeah, good thing XY made saving almost instant, and the Unova games had a meter that showed how long it would take to save.

I don't know why though, but in Platinum it felt even longer. Kinda funny that you can play for hours without touching the PC and it'll save in a few seconds, though.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
It isn't something that bothers me much, but I always found it strange how it would say that when I hardly did anything:

*starts up game*
*switches Golem's Soft Sand with Quick Claw*
*saves before trying to beat Cynthia again*
"SAVING A LOT OF DATA...."

That's a lot of data? Jeez game, what would you do if I actually did something?

And now in X/Y, the game has barely enough time to display "Saving. Do not turn off the power." before it saves.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
I could really understand the times it showed up in gen 5 because it was usually something major like massive box moving or creating wifi data that would give the message. Even in HGSS it wasn't nearly as common. Diamond and Pearl are the bane of my existence and it really seems like they could have spent a little more time stream lining the game as was clearly possible with Platinum. But no, we got SAVING A LOT OF DATA instead.

Flushed

never eat raspberries
Years
  • Seen Nov 5, 2017
I remember this quite well, because I'd often play when I was in the car and save only when we got to our destination. My parents would always get annoyed waiting for me to get out, but it was saving a lot of data, couldn't do anything about it haha.

mangamusicfan

The Lost one.
Years
That whas Horrible Indeed, Some time's It whas taking indeed to much time to save.
And the Message whas Annoying to read in my opinion.

Eevee3

╰( ´・ω・)つ━☆゚.* ・。゚
Years
It was awful. It didn't happen as much as Black and White thankfully. I've only gotten that message once or twice.

In Pearl though, oh my goodness. You could turn on your game and be right in front of the PC, log onto it, open a box and then log out and save and it would be saving "a lot" of data. It was awful to deal with. It made me not want to go to the PC box because I knew the horror that was waiting for me. xD

Silver Soul of Johto

Journey's end
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Apr 10, 2016
I thought it seemed a bit over dramatic when I saw it after my first initial save. Just how much is "a lot" anyway?

Back